All member reviews for March of the Penguins

Stunning, loving documentary; some intense peril.

Adult Written byJenPete April 9, 2008

Finally a movie for even our smallest child

This was entertaining for the entire family, educational and beautiful to watch. Enough humor in the script to keep the audience listening. Even our 2-year-old didn't worry about the only "violence" - a scene involving seals v. penquins...very adeptly handled.
Adult Written byHuebel April 9, 2008

Hypnotic

I couldn't peel my eyes off this movie. If you have kids who really enjoy movies about animals, this may be right up their alley. The narration by Morgan Freeman is warm and inviting, which is a stark contrast to the harsh realities that these penguins deal with. The only negative thing I can say about this movie is that it may not hold some children's attention.
Adult Written byMomma Adamson April 9, 2008

Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares June 7, 2009

OMG PENGUINS!!!!!!!!! AND MORGAN FREEMAN!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 11 years old March 2, 2009

HORRIBLE

Worst movie ever! WALKED OUT
Kid, 10 years old June 25, 2009

I like it

I love this movie!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 7 year old Written bypwmoores April 9, 2008

Great nature flick for enitre family! But BEWARE the end for young kids!

Wonderful in every way, BUT at the very end of the movies the voiceover says that the Moms and Dads and babies have a great summer then the moms and dads leave and they never see each other again and the babies are left alone standing on the ice at the water's edge. My 5 yr old became hysterical and cried until the movie ended. A week later now he has separation anxiety worse then a 2 yr old. BEWARE!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysave_the_tigers! April 9, 2008

Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

I killed half my sanity watching this!!!

I HATED THIS MOVIE TO THE MAX!!!!!!It is soooooooooooooo boring!!!!!
Educator and Parent Written bySmallthingsnyc March 2, 2014

Great movie for the animal obsessed!

My four year old loved this movie. My two year old didn't care much. It was long for her and she doesn't particularly like animals. Neither noticed the mating and the death isn't very scary or obvious. We talked about it and have no problem discussing the basic life cycle of animals. It was short enough to be a passing moment and quick conversation. I would show this to my children again before most animated children's movies I've seen. We spent a lot of time talking about how the parents were caring for their babies and it is nice to have that be about how the daddies are involved.
Kid, 11 years old November 29, 2013

it was to disturbing

I watched it at school and had to close my eyes the sad part was when an egg rolled and froze to death the penguins didn't even care
Kid, 12 years old February 7, 2012

tommy's family friendly review

mild violence for some younger children
Kid, 12 years old December 24, 2011

The miracle of life.........

Cute and adorable. Penguins are positive role models. A bit upsettng at times.
Kid, 8 years old May 1, 2011

best documentary

At school I'm doing an animal report on penguins. When I saw this movie best documentary ever. It gave me advice for my animal report.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana April 8, 2011

this movie is incredibly boring
Parent of a 12 and 15 year old Written byLaurieS March 28, 2011

I took my six year old to see MotP in the theaters when it first came out. We were the only family with children there, the rest of the patrons were all retirees. It was fairly brutal for the kids. It is very, very long with long slow scenes of penguins walking across the ice. Dramatic, maybe, but definitely a trial for the younger kids. Also, the best part for most of the other movie goers that day was when my six year old saw the mating scene and asked loudly "Mom, what are those penguins doing?" and every pair of eyes in the theater turned to see how I'd handle it! (Which was, of course, directly and matter-of-factly!) At the time, the film was touted as great for kids and a good family film. There was nothing terrible or terribly offensive, it was just too long, overdramatic, and a little depressing. When the penguin, after about an hour of build-up, drops his egg leading to its instant demise, my eight year old sighed and said "Kinda wish I got dropped on my head on the ice about now." Again, not a bad film, but for the kids, better to watch a 30 minute National Geographic special instead.
Adult Written byThe Writer March 8, 2011

Well-made, but terribly boring!

I tend to like a good documentary. However, this film nearly bored me to sleep. While it has plenty of educational value, I have yet to meet a person who actually LIKED the film, much less wanted to buy it. Some of the shots were fantastic, but it dragged on endlessly and never managed to catch my interest. I would suggest you save yourself the time and watch a shorter documentary.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 September 7, 2009

This will bore your young kids

But will interest some kids. I love Morgan Freeman, but don't neccissarily love this movie. Yes it's about penguins...but, I don't know. It never hooked me in, I guess. I don't want to sound cold-hearted, but it never touched me, I guess.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySomebodysMe July 15, 2009

Adorable, Educational, and Fun!!!!

I was surprised to find the reviews for this movie were all positive! This movie was an amazing movie, and educational too! Now, I have noticed with documentaries (i realize they are just telling us the truth) like to show us something ridiculously CUTE, and then show us it running away from a predator and getting eaten! This was slightly disturbing to me, but then i'm pretty sensitive!!!! Other than that, this movie is fun, cute and educational! It teaches us to persevere, and that animals really do have personalities!!!!!
Kid, 10 years old June 7, 2009

adorable and sad.....

This movie was AWESOME!!! It was sad when the sea lion ate a female penguin but exciting when new life came out of the egg.:)