All member reviews for March of the Penguins

Stunning, loving documentary; some intense peril.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 September 7, 2009

This will bore your young kids

But will interest some kids. I love Morgan Freeman, but don't neccissarily love this movie. Yes it's about penguins...but, I don't know. It never hooked me in, I guess. I don't want to sound cold-hearted, but it never touched me, I guess.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySomebodysMe July 15, 2009

Adorable, Educational, and Fun!!!!

I was surprised to find the reviews for this movie were all positive! This movie was an amazing movie, and educational too! Now, I have noticed with documentaries (i realize they are just telling us the truth) like to show us something ridiculously CUTE, and then show us it running away from a predator and getting eaten! This was slightly disturbing to me, but then i'm pretty sensitive!!!! Other than that, this movie is fun, cute and educational! It teaches us to persevere, and that animals really do have personalities!!!!!
Kid, 10 years old June 25, 2009

I like it

I love this movie!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 10 years old June 7, 2009

adorable and sad.....

This movie was AWESOME!!! It was sad when the sea lion ate a female penguin but exciting when new life came out of the egg.:)
Parent of a 8 year old Written byJoeFuentes April 30, 2009

a MUST see but be aware it's "realistic"

Amazingly shot and superbly narrated by Morgan Freeman. This is a great window into what happens in the real wild to what normally would be seen as otherwise adorable creatures that walk funny. It shows what life as a penguin is like without getting too graphic. There are, however, some emotional moments that you may want to make sure you touch base with your kids.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written bykcInnovation April 22, 2009

Sensitive children of 8 and up

After hearing NPR's Terry Gross interview with the creators of the movie Earth opening on Earthday 2009, I thought back about my two boys reaction to the beautiful and inspiring "March of the Penguin". All three of us enjoyed it in 2005, but the attack and death scenes were quite upsetting to my then 6 year old who still loves penguins. As gorgeous as "March of the Penguin" and its gripping story, he has not asked to see it again. This coming from a precocious and sensitive child who has watched "Ratatouille" and "Finding Nemo" at least 12 times, including all of the special features in the DVDs!
Parent of a 1, 3, 12, and 16 year old Written byNikkiV April 20, 2009

Good, short, family movie

Educational and entertaining for the whole family
Adult Written bylindsey12345 April 9, 2009

boooorrrrriiiiiinnnngggg

the movie is so boring
Adult Written bycagseg April 9, 2008

Awesome

March of the Penguins is a great movie, not boring like kids might think.
Adult Written byksoster April 9, 2008

beautiful family movie

This truely an amazing movie. I took my 8 year old son, my 12 year old daughter and my 68 year old aunt and the entire group loved the movie. Name another movie where that would be true! The movie was tender, funny, sad and educational all at the same time. We all walked away in awe of the penquin and you will too.

Awesome!

Me, my brother, and my grandpa all injoyed this great movie!
Adult Written bysuznsax April 9, 2008
it was vary sad.
Adult Written byamheusser April 9, 2008

Very well made

I took my 3 year old, and she got a little fidgety but was mostly fascinated. There were a couple of scenes that were somewhat disturbing, though, so be prepared for some discussion about the natural food chain. None of these scenes were graphic or gory, but young kids may be a little scared because it's not pretend like so many other movies.
Adult Written bymomof2 April 9, 2008

Too boring for young kids

I said this movie was ok for young kids but I want to qualify that. There is nothing wrong with the content...my kids (3 & 5) didn't even realize they were mating...but, a little over half way through the movie they said they were ready to go home. They liked it ok, but my 3 year old constantly talked and asked questions about where they were going and what they were doing. They were just really too young to sit through a true documentary.
Adult Written bybeanbag April 9, 2008

Penguins are Cool

I brought my almost 6 yr old to see this film yesterday and for someone who usually handles violence and other mishaps of nature fairly well; she was covering her eyes and gasping at points (granted she's also quite the drama queen). After the mommy penguin was eaten by the seal and she realized that that meant that the baby penguin wouldn't have food... I actually asked her if she needed to leave... but she insisted on staying so she could discover what happened to the penguins. After much discussion (good thing we went to a matinee)... she left the movie with the impression that penguins are cool (no pun intended).
Adult Written bypkatz April 9, 2008
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Documentary, interesting but not action movie

My son is 5 and doesn't still for much. He was very interested in this. We watched it at home on dvd which was good since he had lots of questions. He is very into animals and although there were some sad moments in the penguins struggle with some explanation about the animal world he took it well. If your child is into alot of action, it will not appeal to him/her. Well done, some cute, funny moments and it makes you respect animals more.
Adult Written bymama247 April 9, 2008

Preview it and then enjoy with your kids!

After reading several reviews saying this wasn't really a kids movie, my husband and I decided to watch it ourselves on dvd before we let the kids watch it. Good thing. It is an amazing movie and really beautiful, but it's not something most kids can watch without a lot of explanation. I decided to watch it alone with my six year old (without her 3 & 2 year old sisters). Before we watched I warned her about some of the scary and sad things. She was scared and sad at each of these, but handled it well because she was prepared. What I hadn't prepared her for, because it hadn't occured to me, was the ending. When she heard that most of the penguins will never see their parents again she burst into tears! It took some time for me to explain that the penguins weren't sad about it. I tried to do so without saying "They're only penguins!" I must also add that she was on the verge of being bored during many parts of the movie. It took some convincing to get her to continue watching. I know she enjoyed it, but she did not ask to watch it again, unlike most movies that she watches over and over. Overall, really nice and educational, but to be watched together on DVD.
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008
Teen, 14 years old Written byMishmashley April 9, 2008

I cried and I laughed

AT first I thought oh wow penguins marching aroung what an interesting movie, but then I got into it and I cried at some of the scenes and laughed at other. Truly a greatt movie the whole family can enjoy together.