All member reviews for Marie Antoinette

Teen queen rocks out in punk-scored biopic.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybookworm123 April 9, 2008

History with a refreshing twist

"Marie Antoinette" was a great movie! Sure, there were a couple of "iffy" scenes and a lot of champagne, but people should go deeper. Everything was great, except that the camera focused "too much on each scene" (especially carriage rides and less important scenes) and the ending felt cut off. But, I loved the way that "modern" music was tied in with scenes, like where at a ball the guests seemed to be waltzing to the music of our times. I couldn't believe it when some senior citizens were criticizing the movie and, translated into teen language, called it "a bore fest". I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY THINK; IT WAS AN OUTSTANDING MOVIE. BUT, BEWARE: IT DOESN'T HAVE MUCH OF A PLOT BECAUSE HISTORY DOESN'T HAVE A PLANNED OUT PLOT LINE, NO MATTER WHAT PEOPLE SAY. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE MOVIE FOR HISTORY'S SAKE, AT LEAST TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE INTRICATE CLOTHING AND THE SCENERY. THIS MOVIE IS HISTORY WITH A REFRESHING TWIST FROM THE MUSTY, OLD TEXTBOOKS WE HAVE TO READ OUT OF. WHO SAYS LEARNING CAN'T BE FUN! IT'S WORTH IT TO SEE THIS MOVIE!
Teen, 13 years old Written byhippochick7 April 9, 2008
I'm a big fan of her's (marie antoinette) and I loved this movie! There is only like 1 nude scene, well 3 if you count scenes were she's naked but you can't see any thing. There is kinda a sexual thing where they talk about her and her husband having children and the her and her lover are shown... and when her brother talks to her husband about how sex is like putting a sword in it's case thing, but he used the right word but i can't remember it. over all there isn't much sex and it's not as big a deal as people make it out to be, as parts or the movie would not make sense without it. Amazing movie!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares January 28, 2009
Much better than many critics claim it to be.
Kid, 11 years old July 8, 2013

wont appeal to kids

Marie Antoinette focuses on some mature topics for instance it is mainly about marie the teen queen who is having trouble taking on the stress of being a queen at just 19 and frankly it's just boring
Adult Written byFreegirl405 July 25, 2010
Ick.
Teen, 16 years old Written byChocolatchipcookie August 27, 2009

Love this

This is one of my favorites its a fantastic movie. the sexual stuff is brief and not that bad. she is naked but you dont see anything so not to much to worry about. the only thing missing from the movie was the part when they chopped off her head but its still good without it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Pretty Good

I was surprised to have liked this movie! It gets a bit slow in spots, but overall is very good, and one of the most beautiful-looking films I have watched.
Parent of a 1 and 9 year old Written bySteffauri516 March 12, 2012

Creative take on history, stunning costumes

As a historical fashion junkie, I probably enjoyed the movie for the dresses alone! I have two kids, 8 and 1, so obviously, they wouldn't hold interest in a movie like this, nor would I let them see it. There is nothing too graphic or edgy in the movie, but I'd say that for some of it's content, like the half-shown, half-implied sex scenes, brief references to drugs and lots of drinking, I'd say kids 14 and older.
Teen, 14 years old Written byGuard Girl June 19, 2011

must see

wonderful it tells the tail of a Habsburg girl living large and illinformed in thelife of the french court. this is grate for informing(though not knowing) your childer and even your self on the awesome world of Maria Antonia Josephina Johanna (pluss they have bow wow wow and who cant turn THAT down?)
Teen, 13 years old Written byNirvana Girl March 21, 2011

Loved it, but...

I really loved this movie. It was Perfect for me because I'm a history buff and all. Just they had put a little too much sex in it though. I understand that it was an important part of the film but, you know, maybe instead of it being shown, it could have been implied.
Adult Written bydakritree April 9, 2008
Teen, 14 years old Written byNonsensical April 9, 2008

great movie cute shoes

great movie she had such cute shoes great for teen girls some sex and lots of references main portion of story some cheating etc. but overall super good
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoveeluvvr666 April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written bygracie105 April 9, 2008

awsome

luv this movie total chick flick some sexual issues but over all very good
Kid, 10 years old May 27, 2016

A little mature but Fun!!

I think this movie was very inspirational and funny. Some parts are (a little) inappropriate but this movie is very educational. During the whole entire movie I was looking up facts and and questioning my mom. One thing that I thought was that they could have gotten a different or younger actress for Marie Antoinette when she was young and just getting married to her husband when she was 14. This movie is fun and educational, but when a bad part comes just have the kids cover there eyes. Also I does not include her death so that is good for innocent eyes.
Adult Written byflunky December 29, 2015

It is like a mirror put together from pieces

This film makes me to give very mixed opinions. The screenplay follows pretty faithfully the story of real Marie Antoinette, with a bit of over-dramatizations here and there. The story does not try to make her look like a perfect hero or villain, but rather tries to make the watcher to make up one's opinions, of which is a rather good choice for describing a character so twofold as Marie Antoinette was. But there is something that comes out in a wicked way over the whole film: the dialogue is mostly like taken from a cheap paperback. Almost everybody keeps wondering about her and her husband's problems in the bedroom, and keeping that way in the long run, makes the film feel cheap. For the musical score is it is the same: most of the music fits perfectly to the film, but casually, there is a pop- or rock-song played in the background and it somewhat breaks the film in pieces. The texts displayed in the film are grotesk, again, giving the same effect. The language of the film is bad in a non-bad way, as I said. I marked "Too much swearing", but with it, I actually mean that the dialogue in the film is not suitable for children. It should be also noted that there is no perfect sex scenes in the film either, but very strongly innuending scenes take place sometimes. Marie Antoinette is also displayed nude from behind, too. The props are perfectly right in this film. Everything seen in the film gives an idea of the France in the late 1700's, but there is something to be sorry about, too: the spoken language in the film is English. The good in this film is that it is a historical one, but the bad is that it is a pretty mixed bag. All parts of it do not fit perfectly together.
Kid, 12 years old July 6, 2014

OFF WITH HER HEAD!!!

Marie Antoinette is a good movie but I would watch it when your older so you can understand whats happening. I think 12 years old is a good age to watch it but watch it with a adult.
Adult Written bytrolololoderp May 18, 2012

Older kids will have a better appreciation, but no objectionable content for mature teens

I saw it for the first time and didn't understand it. Hated it. Then I watched it again and felt a greater connection to Marie's character. Being more mature the second time around, I realized that Sofia Coppola wasn't trying to make a perfect period movie about a perfect queen. She exposes the pressures put on Marie and conveys the blur of emotions she experienced during her short-lived, adolescent reign with a reasonable degree of historical accuracy. Much better film for older kids (17, 18?) who will understand how being a teenager and having virtually nobody to turn to as a positive role model can lead you down the wrong path. As an adolescent, I could identify with poor Marie during the movie, but I can definitely see how anyone younger with less 'life experience' would find this disconcerting, or frankly, boring.
Adult Written byconfettie April 9, 2008

Great performance by K. Dunst!!!

It was OK. I didn't like the ending, but it kept me gessing at what was going to happen throughout the movie. In general I thought it was a good movie and well filmed.
Teen, 14 years old Written byWildChild30793 April 9, 2008