All member reviews for Marley & Me

Touching comedy deals with emotional themes.

Kid, 12 years old September 11, 2011

PG-13 Material

SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN RATED PG. The only bad thing is maybe half way into the movie, Jenny says, "why don't we stop trying-not to have a baby?" then John replies,"So this is the part where we go home, take it off, and get it on?" Later they are seen making out on a bed, which implies sexual encounter. Next, after Jenny's baby dies in her, they do it again and this time you only hear the bed creaking and see the covers shaking. It's soooo sad and that may hurt young children, too. but for the most part, Jenny and John are good role models.
Adult Written byscreenmom81 October 12, 2009

Should have been PG-13--Parents of young children Beware!

Watched this movie alone one evening and could not BELIEVE how much sexual content it contained for a PG rating. I had to check the the rating twice because I thought I read it wrong. It was more than 'implied' sex. The word itself was used at least 4 times in reference to what the couple needed to do in order to "make a baby". I understand they are a married couple but my husband and I surely don't excuse ourselves from the room and tell our kids we are going 'to go make a baby', or have sex for that matter. Should most definitely been rated PG-13. I did not get to the sad ending so I cannot comment on the emotional impact it may have on your kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byamandaluvsyooh June 17, 2010

Great For Tweens!

Don't let the cover fool you. It looks as well as sounds like a very kid-friendly movie, but I honestly thought it should have been one of those PG-13's that just let the parent know that there is some suggestive stuff coming your way. I mean, if you're 12, there's nothing wrong with watching this movie, but for a, let's say...6 year old, they may ask questions...be prepared!
Adult Written bykraber May 26, 2010

Good date night movie for mom and dad, NOT the kids

While I really liked this movie, it should have been PG-13 (at least) When a married couple discusses how long it's been since they've had sex, skinny dip, flounce onto the bed making out in preparation for sex, make the bed creak while having sex, it should have a PG 13 rating! I think our rating system really dropped the ball on this one. This may be a good date night movie for mom and dad, but NOT a family movie.
Written byAnonymous February 6, 2011
I was kind of taken off guard by this movie. Although it's PG, it's almost PG-13 like. The couple have implied sex at least twice.- They are married, though. Also, they struggle with a miscarriage and a dog that passed away. I heard the s*** once, with a couple other iffy words.
Kid, 12 years old April 10, 2010
It was rated PG but I really think it should be rated PG-13. When I watched it I expected it to be cute as in a cute dog movie bt no DO NOT let kids under the age of 10 see it there is a sex scene.
Kid, 11 years old January 11, 2009

Common!!! Shut Up!

This movie was one of the best movies I have ever seen! If you don't like it than don't go see it! This movie is sad and happy and for the whole family!! PG Is an awsome rating and PG-13 isn't for this movie!
Parent Written byLucyinLA November 6, 2012

Not for kids or tweens!

Beware if you think this is a family movie! Within the first twenty minutes there were enough sexual references and bad launguage to embarass my kids (10 and 12). In one scene, there is even a joke the husband makes to the wife about lesbian sex. I was shocked at the rating and how this movie was being touted as a family film. The movie itself bored me too much to finish watching without my kids.
Kid, 12 years old April 8, 2010
There is quite a bit of mature content for a PG movie. It might go over some kids' heads, but there is enough for them to ask questions about it. Sad movie, but not as sad as others, like the Bucket List.
Kid, 12 years old February 13, 2011

Teen and Adult movie. Not for kids, unless youre a brave preteen.

Nice job with the movie
Kid, 10 years old March 27, 2010

Teetering for 10 -12.

I liked the movie but to much sexy stuff. A kid like me doesn't need to see that it sorta' creeped me out. >:P
Teen, 15 years old Written bypowerson October 29, 2013

3 - Language

It was rated a PG but I think it should be a 12/PG-13. very underrated age-wise. An emotionally touching movie, with some swearing (the b-word etc) I think CSM were a bit low on the rating of the language and gave it 2, but I'd give it 3. Still a good film, though a bit mature and sexy
Kid, 10 years old October 5, 2010

^ ^ ^ look at my age reccomendation ^ ^ ^ thats what i think

WHAT THE HECK COMMON SENSE?! THIS WASNT INAPPROPRIATE OR IMPLIYING ANYTHING,AND IT DOESNT NEED TO BE AGE 13+. THEY THINK I CANT HANDLE IT! WELL,I SAW THIS. THE WORST SEXUAL NESS WAS A *MARRIED* COUPLE KISS SCENE. AND IT WASNT THAT BAD. IT WAS IN THE BEGINNING. AND IN ANOTHER DIFFERENT SCENE,MARLEY CHASES A FOUL BALL ONTO THE BASEBALL FIELD,AND THEY HAVE TO GO CHASE HIM! LOL!
Adult Written byFooPets fare March 8, 2010

Depends on the type of kid, but overall an amazing movie.

I rated it 10+ because it really depends on what a parent wants a kid seeing, and what kind of kid it is. For example, my five year-old sister has seen it no problem. The sex scenes are not explicit, but depending on how much you know about sex you will probably know what they are doing if you are 10+. For younger kids it will most likely fly right over their heads. At most they might embarrassingly ask you what they're doing! It also depends on how sensitive your child is, because the ending is -SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER- very sad, and almost nobody will be dry-eyed. If your kid is extremely sensitive you might want to reconsider showing them this. The sex scenes don't show anything explicit, but like I said you will probably know what they are doing if you are 10+. Maybe younger, it all depends on how much you know about sex and such. Language isn't that bad, with the occasional Sh*t or D*mn and Ass, but not terrible. The violence scene with the girl again depends on how sensitive your kid is, for example my younger sister just kind of ignored it, but if you have a very sensitive little kid who could have nightmares from it you may want to skip this scene. I hope this review was helpful to you :).
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymrschrisc December 4, 2009

PG rating is misleading. Good movie but not for younger kids. Too much sex talk!

I was not happy that our local theatre played this during the summer family fun festival and many young kids were there. I would definitely have not taken my 9 yr old daughter if I knew that there were seeral implied sex scenes, especially one where the bed was squeaking and she calles her husband saying there is a naked lady here waiting for you. I felt bad that daycares and summer camp groups had taken 5 and 6 yr olds to the movie that day too. I am sure they would have chose not go go either if they knew about the sex material. Not cool, Marcus Cinema. Also, movie ratings should have made it PG-13 rating for sure.
Kid, 9 years old January 25, 2009

this is not what i was expecting.

This is so much for anyone younger then 15. There's not a message, there's stabbing, sex (that you watch!) and language. There's not a message, as I said, the stabbing is leading to a teenager's stomach, sex is used a lot, and language comes around every couple minutes. including CRA*, HE** DAM* and sayings like, "Did you have SE* with her yet?" not appropriate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written byMichael Loughrie March 22, 2016

Entertaining Puppy Life Story Has Great Performances

Why leave a film for audiences to cry and not think about the idea of the film? It wasn't sad for me, although my dad shed a tear when he watched it. I bought this movie to see it and I'm not ashamed to say, it was a happy film about a bad dog's life.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySophie_x June 27, 2014

Marley & Me is amusing, but the end is pretty emotional:(

The whole story is hilarious, but the end part of the film and the way Jenny begins to become angry towards Marley in the middle of the film may upset some younger children. There's hardly any sort of bad language, apart from the word "Damn". There's also hardly any sex scenes to: apart from seeing a bed creak and move, and a few reference to sex and becoming pregnant:) It's a really good family film, I love it:D
Kid, 11 years old June 5, 2014

Impossible to not be fooled.. until you see the movie!

Great movie, but the MPAA and the cover designer are jerks for tricking kids into viewing it! Marley's death, Skinny-dipping, Sex scene, Uses of d**n and a*s, that's PG-13 content!
Parent Written byFrankinf May 28, 2012

sad

funny and fun but very sad