All parent member reviews for Marley & Me

Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bybmowery02 April 13, 2009

should have been rated PG-13

it was a little awkward watching with my 6yr old, i kept waiting for him to ask me what was "sex", it was mentioned throughout the movie.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byHCButcher April 9, 2009
I think Jen said "Oh my God" at least 10 times in the first 10 minutes which turned me off...terrible script writing! Otherwise I didn't find anything offensive for my 8-yr old son, but he didn't really get into the movie.
Adult Written byscopingforyou April 6, 2009

okay movie, horrible book

Haven't seen the movie so I'll just add a comment here because there is no place to rate the book. And parents should be aware that if they think the book is similar to the movie, as far as being appropriate, they would be wrong. When reading the book, there was a passage that went into great detail about how the male lead was turned on by the religious statues in the room because it made him feel like it was sexier because he would be being "bad." Not exactly what you want to teach your preteen to think that that's what sex is about. He also went into great detail explaining how he was feeling sexually. NOT the same as the movie, so kids and parents should be aware.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written bymountaingirl922 April 5, 2009

Great movie! Not appropriate for the very little.

I rented this movie for my small children, thinking it was going to be similar to the Beethoven movies. I watched it first and although I adored it, I think they are much too young to understand the mature themes in it. I do want to purchase this movie and let them watch it when they're older.
Educator Written bylarae14 April 3, 2009

Hollywood Conspiracy?...One never knows.

Definitely an adult movie. I'm glad I didn't watch this with my kids and I'm very disappointed that this was marketed as a "for the whole family" movie. For people who want their kids to have some standards, this movie had far too much sketchy content to just dish up to kids and parents as a cute movie about a funny dog. The movie itself wasn't even that great, just more of Hollywood trying to influence everyone else by exposing kids to crazy stuff way too young.
Adult Written byA&Ksmom April 3, 2009

My kids would watch it.

I enjoyed it as an adult. It took me back to my first dog as a young married woman myself. We are now on our second dog as a family and it reminds me of how important it is to give the dog time to mature and grow with the family for it to be truely a part of the family. No, it's not a kids movie; I agree there are too many adult themes, but it wouldn't hurt a child of 8 or nine to see it.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bysherri729 April 3, 2009

Should be PG-13

I just rented this to watch with my 9-year-old daughter. The language and sexual references were out of control. We watched 40 minutes of the movie, then turned it off. In addition to the language and sex issues, the movie was plain old boring. Not at all impressed based all the commercials we had seen.
Parent of a 2, 4, and 6 year old Written bythe.woods April 3, 2009
The ads made it seem as if the movie was a movie for the whole family, so my 4 and 6 year old of course wanted to watch it, because they like the books. I turned it off not even halfway through the movie. Even though I liked it, it was completely unacceptable for it to be rated PG, it should have been PG-13.
Adult Written byantwizzleg April 1, 2009
this movie was really sad it was good at first but it hit a down pour and it made lots of people sad. dont show to little kids
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion February 28, 2009

A Charming Comedy That Shouldn't have Slipped By a PG-13!

Okay, just to get this out of the way, this is a great movie. It is funny and charming, and the acting is surprisingly clever. However, it is for teen and adults. No kids. Trust me. No one over 12 or 13 should see this film. Period. However, I will still supply a post of objectionable material, for those who are still on the line. Sexual content is the biggest issue in the film, with numerous, numerous references to sexual activity ("honey, you should hurry home...there's a naked lady waiting in your bed") and getting pregnant ("are you pulling the goalie?") For Owen Wilson's 40th birthday gift, Jennifer Aniston strips (off-screen) and jumps into a swimming pool. He follows (nothing is shown). They are both seen making out on a bed. Marley humps a dog trainer’s leg, and there are many crude references to neutering a dog. Language is also iffy too, with several "a*s"s and "godd**ns".
Parent of a 12 year old Written bytitianmom January 21, 2009

PG? You've got to be kidding me...more like PG-17 at least

Too much adult theme in this movie to be simply PG. What were they thinking? Not enough in this movie to interest the average kid, IMHO. Not a family film.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bythebigd56 January 21, 2009

Movie pales next to book, but okay for kids

I saw "Marley & Me" with my sensitive 10-year-old tonight. I had read the book, so I prepared her for the fact that Marley dies at the end, especially since we just lost our 14-year-old Retriever mix a few weeks ago. I also read all of these reviews first. I am extremely careful about what my daughter sees, and made the decision a couple of years ago that NOTHING PG-13 or over would be seen by her. Having said all that, I thought "Marley" was fine. Very little bad language and virtually no sex, just lots of kisses and affection that made the couple seem close. The squeaky bed springs that everyone makes such a fuss over were Jen Aniston sitting on the bed, for heaven's sake. I also thought the euthanasia scene was handled tastefully, although you do actually see Marley die and I would prepare kids for that. I would complain about the book-vs-movie accuracy and plot changes, but this site is more about protecting kids' sensibilities, so I won't bother. I had no regrets letting my 10-year-old see it and I let her sit in my lap and cry during the sad scenes. That certainly won't warp her.
Adult Written byEbro January 19, 2009

OMG- this is not a kids movie

My daughter's girl scouts troop and town wide troops picked this movie to see for their annual winter movie. Children ages 6 and up went . Imagine my shock to see overt physical sexual innuendos and language dispersed in the movie. I would have been relieved to just see kissing, but this went much further. There was also the realistic portrayal of the life span, growing old, dying and burial of the main character, the dog, Marley. I was very upset that this movie was marketed as kid friendly, light, funny comedy involving a loveable dog. Even the Elementary school's book fair had books selling the upcoming movie. It is an entertaining movie, but a movie that is best enjoyed by older teens and adults.
Parent of a 16, 16, and 18+ year old Written byNoahsmom January 13, 2009

Great Movie, not for small children

My husband and I saw this movie after we both read the book. There were two little girls there also, around 8 or so. One of the was near hysterical at the end when Marley died. She had to leave, the mom didnt' even go with her!! She was still hysterical in the bathroom after the movie. All I can say, is don't take your kids to this movie without forewarning them about the end and making sure they can handle it.
Adult Written byChewbacca January 13, 2009

Left early

Very mis-leading. We left the movie with about 15 minutes to go. Not for young children.
Parent of a 18+ year old Written byLaargo January 13, 2009

I loved it!

I took 12 family members to see "Marley" over Christmas break. Youngest was 11. Everyone loved it. Most of us had read the book and agreed the book was better. As my grandchildren have an older dog that will have to be put down at some near point, I was especially glad to have them see that part of the movie. When their time comes, they will know that their own dog will just go to sleep. Thank you for putting that in!
Parent of a 11 year old Written bylajnpj January 13, 2009

Liked it a lot but......

I agree should have been rated pg-13
Adult Written byjaynieb January 13, 2009

I LOVED this movie!

Marley & Me is a fantastic movie. If parents are concerned about the content that their kids view, then they should research a movie before taking their kids to see it. I took my 13 year old niece to see this movie, and I didn't think the adult content was inappropriate for her. Wake up parents - kids see and hear FAR worse in school, not to mention the TV shows they watch right under your nose! Not once was Jennifer Aniston shown naked in this movie. You know that she's skinny dipping, but they don't show anything below her shoulders. Also, while sex was 'implied' it was sex between a loving married couple, which is far healthier than what kids see on TV, and in many cases - in their own homes! A lot of kid movies feature the death of animals, such as Old Yeller, Bambi, and the Fox and the Hound, just to name a few. Death is part of life, and dealing with the loss of a pet prepares kids for the eventual loss of human loved ones. Shielding kids from life does them a huge disservice. For the people who claim to have become 'depressed' after seeing Marley & Me, you might want to explore the deeper issues going on there...emotionally healthy people are not catapulted into deep despair by a sad movie. Yes, the movie was sad, and yes, my niece and I cried...BUT, we were over it 10 minutes later!
Parent of a 9, 13, and 15 year old Written bychrisakeith January 13, 2009

Is this what we are to expect from a PG rating now?

The movie overall was funny and sad, well acted and a truely good movie for teens or older. I am becoming very annoyed at what has now become the norm for PG movies. I took my 9 year old son to this movie. At least 10 words he would be punished for if they came out of his mouth as well as using GOD's name as if it were Jim or Bob or just any other name. Anniston undressing though nothing is really seen as well as the perceived sex in the squeeking bed was also disturbing. This movie should have been PG13.
Parent of an infant and 8 year old Written bymydogbilly January 13, 2009

It is misleading

I usually blame parents for not researching or being involved in the daily lives of their children in order to keep them safe and healthy (well shy of being over-protective, mind you). However, you can't shield your child from every experience deemed to be more than mildly offensive or they will never experience anything. Many times kids will grow up to defy authority or become very introverted as a result of being sheltered. That is why I agree with the rating. Although as I previously stated it is the parent's responsibility to be involved, but you can't be everywhere. So we put our trust in the MPAA to deliver us a movie with an adequate rating. I would argue that the timing is terrible as is the false advertising. I agree that what we got on tv was a cute and cuddly movie the whole family can enjoy. What we failed to realize was that the MPAA just wants our money and just like My Girl and the Bridge to Terabithia they banked on the masses not reading or researching material to know the ending. But isn't the point of seeing a movie, because you don't know the ending? Everyone knows what happens to Tom Cruise in Valkyrie. Is that why no one went to see the movie? My other point was the timing. This movie was released on Christmas day. Yeah I want to see a dog get put down in a movie on what is supposed to be a time of celebration. I could get over myself and stop complaining about it, but if you don't mind watching animals die on Christmas, good for you. Lastly, on the content. Young kids I think are too young to understand the innuendos in the movie, unless parents use the same language at home. If they are older you could always talk to your kids, I know it's hard. As far as someone saying movies were less offensive back in the day...Spaceballs had a PG rating, and they say Sh*t about 8 times @$$hole about 10 times and talking about someone giving someone else a beamer. Goonies? Nearly as rough. I could go on, but I'll close. Parents need to do more, but the MPAA needs to set better guidelines for ratings