All parent member reviews for Marley & Me

Adult Written byfoxhole January 13, 2009

Not Good

I was very disappointed with Marley & Me. The commercial was all about a HAPPY movie. I never expected the dog to get sick and especially not to die and to show him being PUT DOWN right on the screen. I am a huge animal lover and I felt like leaving and waiting in the lobby when I saw where the movie was headed!!!
Adult Written bybrendaH January 13, 2009

This is NOT for children!

Many of the previous reviewers wee absolutely right in that in all the ads for this movie, not once was the horrific ending ever mentioned or implied. While the rest of the movie was cute and enjoyable, no one could have been prepared for the ending and the way that it was done. I sobbed out loud and uncontrollably and all I wanted to do was run as far away from that movie screen as possible. If they were trying to get a point across, they certainly succeeded! Yes chldren need to know the reality that animals, people and all other loved ones in your life are at some point going to pass away, but the same message would have been conveyed if a much less dramatic and horrific approach had been taken. It is outright child abuse to take a child to this movie!
Adult Written byjcruz_ffemt January 12, 2009

If you want to live your life sheltered don't see this movie.

I have read the reviews writteb by parents and I have read the reviews written by kids. When has our society become so close minded. Parents out there, regardless of how innocent that you think that your kids are....they have used harsher language than what is heard in this movie. Adult themes such as sex, pregnancy, miscarriage, and suggested nudity are in everyday television as well as the movies that they watch that you don't know about. Plus they are going to grow up and learn about that stuff eventually, why not with you so that you can explain it to them or are you like everyone else out there and would rather avoid it. This movie did have the right rating PG. Which mean "parental guidance" if I remember right. I can understand if it was G rated and getting all in a tiff. I feel that the rating was fitting. Maybe for those of you, you should consider not going to PG movie if you want your kids to watch it. "Shrek" had the same rating and had more adult content than this movie and I sure that you loved it. So, just appreciate that it was a good movie and talk to your kids and the content.
Adult Written byMorgan0619 January 9, 2009

NOT PG

James and the Giant Peach, Shrek, Madagascar, and Marley and Me. What do these all have in common? A PG rating. Except Marley and Me has a naked jennifer aniston, several implied sex scenes, and swearing. I am not a prude, and I loved loved loved the book. But, I thought PG meant PG, as far as movies go. I never would have rated this PG. It's really really misleading. It simply isn't a PG movie. I brought my daughter to it, and I had to walk out. I have never even come close to walking out of a movie before, but I simply couldn't let my daughter watch that type of movie yet. It was introducing concepts I'd only begun to talk about with her. I should have checked the net for reviews, but I've never had a bad experience. Id always read the rating, and been able to trust that the rating matched the content. It makes me angry that they wrecked the book I love so much. Go buy the book, and see a different movie. John Grogan is still a genius; fire the producer and up the rating to PG13.
Adult Written byCarefreelvn45 January 9, 2009

Rating is misleading

I agree with the many posts that this movie should not carry a PG rating. I will no longer trust the MPAA rating system. We took my 9 year-old daughter and her friend expecting a film suitable for the kids. However, my wife and I cringed through much of the movie due to the all-too-frequent sexual content and foul language. I asked my wife a couple of times during the movie if it was really PG. It definatley should have been rated PG-13. It was evident even the kids were uncomfortable during a few scenes promoting "adult play". Going forward I will always read the parent reviews on this web site prior to getting mislead over a movie's suitability for young children.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byluvdasox January 8, 2009

Great Movie, Book is Better!

My 10 year old and I read the book and loved it. We also loved the movie although the movie focuses more on the couple and the book definitely focuses more on the dog. They left out some of the best parts like when Marley gets a part in a movie and totally ruins every scene that he is in! Also when he tore apart his metal crate. My kids both enjoyed it tremendously but there were a few adult-themed scenes which luckily went above my kids' head.
Adult Written byNY January 8, 2009

Outrageous!

This movie should definitely have received a PG13 rating. Who are they trying to kid? Since when is talk of "boob jobs" and "there's a naked girl in your bed..." appropriate for kids under 13? I walked out after 45min. with my two young children and vowed to never see another movie without checking commonsensemedia.org. Although, after reading your review when I got home, I thought it was definitely watered down. Please don't let us down by caving to popular culture.
Adult Written bymomknowsbest January 6, 2009

Mismarketed and inappropriate for children

I cannot believe this movie did not receive a PG13 rating. Multiple curse words, crude references, mature themes, NONE were appropriate for my 8 and 11 year old. A frightening scene of a girl who was stabbed and extremely detailed scene of Marley being put to sleep were also unexpected in this "family" movie. The dog was secondary to the adult themes that drove this movie. I am angry that a movie company can get away with this and deliberate marketed it to families over the holidays just to make more money. Additionally, I am disappointed in the lack of a usual "on target" review by CommonSenseMedia. Unfortunately, a review was not available until after we had seen the movie, but even now "Mild language" and "emotional themes"? It sounds like the reviewer did not see this movie at all! I say tell everyone with kids to boycott this movie.
Adult Written byNadine Hightower January 3, 2009

I read the book to my daughter and we laughed a lot. Saw the movie. It was great. I'd give it a nine and one half. We bawled out eyes out at the end because we'd just lost our retriever cocker mix, Strawberry Shortcake, to breast cancer. They left out our favorite parts, like when Marley tears up the chain link fence box they had made for him. The audience burst into spontanious applause at the end. I've only seen this happen once before.I'm recomending this movie to everyone we know.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bymweeden52@aol.com January 3, 2009

Great movie

I took my almost 9 year old daughter to see this movie yesterday after we read the book together. We laughed through the majority of the book and the movie and cried together at the ending. I am very surprised at the outrage some are showing here about the 'adult' content of this movie. I suspect it has more to do with the parents being uncomfortable than the kids. The language content was very mild and sex was implied for sure but then they are a married couple. As far as the emotional content at the end, yes it was very, very said but then anyone who has ever had an animal family member can relate to this. I would definitely recommend this movie at its' PG rating.
Adult Written bythumbs up or down January 3, 2009

Shame on the ratings agency!

This movie was marketed as a kid-friendly family movie. All of the trailer scenes focused on Marley's crazy antics. Plus, we had seen the trailer on a kids movie that we had seen previously during the year (previews on kids movies are almost always young kid friendly.) Because of this we took our two young children (ages 5-7 yrs). And I completely regretted it right after the movie started - with the husband and wife sitting near that hot tub.....it was downhill from there. Like many other posters have said, this movie clearly should never have been given a PG rating. Bad language is one thing but constant sex scenes and the sorrow filled scenes about Marley's death are another. I knew the dog was going to die in the end but didn't realize how serious this was going to get. And the skinny dipping and girl stabbing scenes were completely not needed. Advice to other parents - even if your kids are 13+, I suggest that you not watch this movie unless you want to have some discussions about some serious topics (sex, death, stabbing, etc...) What gets me is the ratings system is made up of parent groups. Who in their right mind would've given this a PG-13 rating?
Parent of a 13 year old Written bytechiemom January 2, 2009

Great Movie

I truly loved this movie, but I am also surprised by the PG rating. In my opinion, due to the emotional content of the movie, I feel it should have been rated for older children. I think a PG-13 rating would have been much more appropriate. But this is a very touching movie! I thought the book was much better than the movie, but it was a good representation of the main storyline. A must-see for 13 and older!
Parent of a 9, 11, 14, and 21 year old Written byhippojmn December 31, 2008

What sbout emotions?

I can not believe that no one has commented on how heart wrenching this movie is!!!!! The sexual content, and language can be heard and seen right on daytime TV. But the emotions my family went through were terrible. I can not believe this movie was marketed for Christmas day as a family movie. My family & I went through this exact same situation at the end of Oct, needless to say we were devistated. Doesnt anyone care if their kids are heartbroken?
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bycucamonga December 31, 2008

This is an R rated movie

The MPAA must be out of their mind to rate this movie PG. I walked out of the way mid way after watching too many adult rated scenes and listening to profanity. I saw several other families walking out of the movie hall.
Parent of a 2, 10, 12, and 14 year old Written byRylieinOP December 31, 2008

Our 10 Year Old was Mortified

The adult situations were embarrassing for our 10 year old son.. I thought he might crawl under his chair at the movie theater. The skinny-dipping, the kissing prone on the bed, the squeaky bed springs, the kissing prone on the beach, the focus on getting pregnant...these are not PG images or themes. The death of the dog was emotional, of course, but not overwhelmingly so. Actually, I think that part was constructive, because the next day, our son actually gave our family dog extra attention. I recommend that parents avoid taking a child under 13 to see this movie.
Adult Written byjoolz_43344 December 30, 2008

Needs to be rated differently

I watched this movie with my husband and step-son (13) and felt a little embarrassed at parts like when John and Jenny were trying to make a baby or got in the pool naked. Definately thought this movie needed to be PG-13. It was an amazing movie besides that.
Adult Written byjpc47 December 30, 2008

Not marketed properly at all, not for children

My wife and I made a mistake, we didn't come here before taking out 3 kids to see this movie. Took a shot with the PG rating and the 'cute' marketing we were exposed to. It's full of sexual innuendo, skinny dipping, lost track of my count of boderline words and of course full blown swear words. Never mind the use of puppies and babies to help pick up women. I am quite disappointed at the rating this movie got, it is definitely PG-13 material. The 'Old Yeller' ending is by far the most innocent part of this movie. Take your significant other to this movie, I would have enjoyed it if i wasn't cringing from the growing up my kids were forced to do the day after Christmas.
Adult Written byjaneb December 30, 2008

Should have been rated PG-13

I agree with the other reviewers who said this movie should have been rated PG-13. Great movie, but way too intense for little ones. We're talking Old Yeller intense. Jane Boursaw http://www.filmgecko.com
Adult Written bybl9808 December 29, 2008

COMMONSENSE Address this

My husband carried our 10 year old to see this. He said the previews were really misleading. The amount of adult material in this movie is really inappropriate for a PG rated movie. The language, adult sexual related material, etc. I am curious to know why the rating system would judge this as a PG movie?! Parents should be able to trust the rating system and not have to walk out of a movie because of its inappropriate content.
Adult Written byTMDad December 29, 2008

commonsense let me down

The majority of the reviews here that believe this movie was inappropriate for children under 13 are right on. Unfortunately, commonsense.org was not.