All member reviews for Mars Needs Moms

Surprisingly touching adventure has sad moments amid comedy.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byMom of MW March 13, 2011

Surprisingly Scary and Some Weird Messages.

Quite scary - my 7 year boy sees lots of movies - but this had too many near death scenes and was disturbing. One of the main characters was not able to save his mom. The messages were confusing and unclear. The moms that had well behaved kids and were stricter moms were the ones that could get abducted and killed by the Martians. So the message almost becomes don't behave too well or your mom could be abducted and killed. Also, there were male martians that behaved like unintelligent, fun-loving, crazy creatures that were not part of the orderly female run martian culture, they were not valued as bright or effective enough to raise the "hatchlings" along with the females. The male martians were ostracized from the society and lived together in the garbage dump. Very strange message that seemed to minimize the value of men & boys. The movie also had non-stop stressful moments - which was frightening for my son (who has actually seen parts of many live action movies such as "Lord of the Rings", "Star Wars", etc.). There was no down time for the child viewer - very few funny moments. Usually the reviews from Common Sense Media are right on - but this movie was not suitable for my family. This was an intense, stressful movie for my son with a very stressful subject matter (the idea of losing one's mom).
Parent of a 7 year old Written byHaimanti April 11, 2011

i think its very good & entertaining movie for kids...they will njoy a lot...has a good message..
Parent of a 13 year old Written byrrc963 March 12, 2011

This is the most disturbing kids' movie I've ever seen. I did not enjoy this movie at all. Most disturbing was when Gribble was remembering how his mom had been killed by the aliens. This was shown through a series of flashbacks. Gribble was a kid and unable to save her. The message of the movie was good, but the content leading to it was very heavy.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymaster311 December 28, 2011

Nice film... not the best... nor the worse!!!

I've always heard about this on TV, while watching a commercial; my family was curious to rent the movie and so we watched it tonight. Although, I was expected it to probably be lame... it actually had a moral in the story. The plot is simple, about a 9-year-old boy named Milo who saves his mom from the martians; but this is a movie intended for children. The animation was good, except the kid's face looked a bit older than 9. There are some scary content, like when Gribble's mom is destroyed by the sun, or when Milo mom nearly dies on the martian terra in front of him. I think kids (ages 6-8) should be supervised while watching, but other than that the movie is terrific and the plot is touching! It wasn't worse, and it wasn't good but it was just like an ordinary disney film!
Adult Written byOceanmom March 19, 2011

I regret that I took my 7 year old daughter to this movie. She was scared most of the movie and did not like the mom being taken. I do not recommend taking your kids to see this. Read the other reviews toward the bottom of this page. They explain pretty well the problems with this movie: too scary, bad male female roles (males play too much and moms are too strict), mom dying flashback, mom abduction, and almost mom death.
Kid, 10 years old November 7, 2011

Horrible

I really don't think it's possible for me to HATE THIS MOVIE any more. Please, DON'T WASTE YOU PRECIOUS TIME!
Teen, 13 years old Written bylisamkeen August 19, 2011

The cool movie mars needs momes (awsome!)

It is the best movie in the world, I could wach it all the time, My mom and i loved it.My mom is 47 and she loved it so did I. All my friendes love it too, So if you are reading this go rent / buy the movie you will love it like i did.
Kid, 10 years old August 15, 2011

Don't waist your time

I really don't like this movie. I don't recommend it AT ALL. I wish I could have rated this no stars.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymida22 July 31, 2011

worst movie ever

i hate this movie so much!!! It's stupid and boring! >:( MIDA22
Teen, 14 years old Written bylittlemisstumbler July 20, 2011

extremely boring.

there's just something, i don't know what, that makes this movie extremely boring. I almost slept while watching it! Please, please don't make the same mistake i did and don't waste your money with this dumb "movie".
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byRYD May 7, 2011

Great for young and older kids

I loved this movie! It had a very positive message about Moms and how important they are to a child's life. There may be a few scary moments (when the mom is abducted or when one of the moms dies - the latter isn't really shown and is only suggested) that might be upsetting to a younger child, and some violence, but my kids loved it and we thought it was really entertaining. I even got teary at one point!
Adult Written bynduns April 13, 2011

Just as dumb as the title suggests

The premise is interesting and the animations are alright for motion capture, but this story is a mess. They rush the beginning and everything else is just repetitive. The worst thing has to be the message and how they get it across. The moral is to always be good to your mother... and if you do, she'll get taken away by aliens and blown up... what!? What kind of message are you trying to send kids, movie!? Make up your mind!
Teen, 15 years old Written byMASSICLIKPERCYJ... March 29, 2011

bad memory!!!

So one time me and a friend were planning girls night out and we wanted to watch a movie. We wanted to watch something else she said she wanted to watch red riding hood/sucker punch so i said OK let's watch that when we got to the movie theater our moms were with us and they said we were watching this. I said noooo waaaayyy!!!! Please anything but this but they still bought it. And plus i'm 15 this would be so dumb. When we got there i slep through the first five minutes. I got back awake and we both (faked) went to the bathroom. We just stayed there but we had to go back. It was so boring. Why did i have to watch this. ANYTHING ELSE would work. Don't watch it and don't waste ur money/time. Trust me peeps!! Not even good for lil kids!!
Adult Written byFaithful Mom March 23, 2011

Your tween and younger may be very sad seeing the mom disappear.

This was a great movie, stressing the importance of mothers and fathers in a child's life. However, Gribble's mother is zapped with a memory gun and disappears (is killed) by the martians, just as he is trying to save her. This shocked me, and my son cried right there in the theater. No warning in any other reviews, so I was really surprised.
Kid, 11 years old March 22, 2011

stupidest movie ever!

I HATE THIS STUPID MOVIE! Dont waste your money on it people. good graphics, horrible movie.
Adult Written bymcrisler March 17, 2011

Best for older kiddos

I took my 10-year old son and same-age friend to this movie. While they understood the happenings were fictional and appreciated the humorous parts, I would not recommend for a child younger than 8 or 9 (depending on the child's maturity level and ability to handle intense scenes). This could be scary and confusing for younger children. Overall positive message; but also fairly deep underlying messages for a children's movie.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bymarykins2004 March 13, 2011

YIKES!!! Unclear messages, parents MIGHT like, but it will scare kids!

Hated it. Messages were unclear, male Martians were portrayed as the huggers, they were stupid, partied, and relegated to the dump. Moms were too strict or...??? And the robots that were created to raise Martian children were shown as spanking the baby Martians. It was great 3-D, but an unbelievably bad movie for 7-8 year olds. My grandson thought the movie was a 'tear-jerker'. (My daughter also read the CSM 7+, without reading further.) I was so surprised that Joan Cusack agreed to portray motherhood in such a way. Maybe the editors deleted the message that mothers make rules that benefit the child and society...I don't know, it was a mess. My husband and I were groaning out loud. Role models were poor, I don't see how a 7 year old could learn that mothers are good from this movie! And our grandson has seen many movies that WE think weren't age appropriate. This one was one of the worst. We went to the 7pm show on the day after it opened, and the theater was almost empty, we changed seats to try to accommodate the 3-D, and weren't disturbing a soul...there was no one else there!
Kid, 10 years old May 23, 2015

Makes no sense at all

This film makes no sense!
Parent Written byCSM Screen name... May 12, 2014

Be prepared to watch your kid watch mom die

I don't remember seeing this important information when I glanced at the review: there is a scene in the movie where the little boy watches his mom die and there is absolutely nothing he can do to save her. It seems to stretch on forever, with the rescue and resuscitation not feeling obviously imminent. My 5yo was crying silent tears on the couch next to me. Definitely too much for both him and me! Is your child prepared to watch mom die?
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheBombFunn August 7, 2013

Boring...

I don't like this movie so much. It's boring and the character's have the personality of a rock. The plotl and premise are pretty dry and I yawened so much! I almost fell asleep! Don't waste your time watching this movie and rent something that's NOT boring and has good CGI like Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc, Toy Story etc etc etc.