Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Mary Poppins Returns

Blunt is a delight in sweet, nostalgic, toe-tapping sequel.

Adult Written byEmilyblack2070 January 1, 2019

Wholesome entertainment at its finest!

A whimsical, poignant sequel to the original that is a fantastical delight for both the young and young at heart. Wholesome, old fashioned entertainment has finally reached the 21st Century. Cannot wait to add this movie to my perssonal collection when the time comes. Perfect entertainment for a cosy wintry weekend at home in front of the fire!

Parent Written byjocelynaus December 31, 2018

Wildly self indulgent and lacking in heart

This movie is appropriate for all ages but at over 2 hours long some drawn out sections will bore some children (and adults). My family, big fans of the books and original film were excited to see Mary Poppins Returns, however found some parts exceptionally self indulgent and almost a not-quite-a-re-enactment of the better original film. Some parts are pure whimsy and wonderful such as the bath sequence and start of the (heavy product placement) “Royal Doulton” bowl sequence, both featured in the trailer. Others parts, such as a completely unnecessary homage to the chimney sweep dance held in a sewer (???) had people walking out of our session and I considered the same. We persevered and were rewarded with Dick Van Dyke’s cameo. Fans of the original movie will be very confused by the resolution of the major challenge. I wished we saw it on video, but will not see it again when we have that chance. That all said, my 7 and 9 year olds did enjoy it.

Adult Written bydejans_jules December 31, 2018

Enchanting in its own right

We went with all our children, ages 3 to 10. The youngest enjoyed parts, but found some of it slow and a couple scenes too scary (although I think she will watch it at home again). The rest of us walked out with lots to share and a good feeling as well. We went to get the soundtrack also, which adds to our appreciation of our experience. It was our first time taking our children to the movies, so it was really a memorable experience. It is a good film to see TOGETHER with your children so you can talk about its themes and have good discussion, as well as enjoy their perspectives and opinions. Our family enjoys musicals as a whole, so they could appreciate and roll with the film. Families less inclined to that style may find it less enjoyable. It has Walt Disney-style movie magic rather than CGI, which I personally appreciated. Nice character development and story line. Why Frozen was so popular and yet this gets such criticism is beyond me, but everyone has their own opinion. As a fan of Julie Andrews/Dick Van Dyke's Mary Poppins, this film and Emily Blunt/Lin-Manuel Miranda is pretty great, too. Looking forward to the DVD release.

Adult Written byJanettehc December 30, 2018

Too long for little ones. Not as good as the original

Watched the original with my 5 and 7 yr old the day before and the 7yr old picked up mist of the songs immediately. The songs in the new one are not as catchy. My 5yr old struggled to keep focus. Blunts Mary Poppins accent is over exaggerated which for me, ruined most of the film.
Adult Written byB L December 30, 2018

Mary Poppins returns

We took our 8 year old to see this ( she has seen the original as well). There were more old people than kids in the theater but my daughter liked it. She got a little squirmy towards the end just from sitting so long. It is quite a long movie about 2.5 hours with previews. I thought Emily blunt was really good as Mary. The length & the one creepy scene with the wolf when they're in the bowl is why I said 7+ but other than that I found it to be one of the most family friendly clean movies I've seen in a long time!! Compared to Dog Days which is also rated PG_ I will not even let her watch that one. This is truly pg not pushing pg13 like a lot of them do. No cursing, name calling or really violence, no revealing outfits etc. I thought it was very cute.
Adult Written byAdventuringmama December 30, 2018

Fun and nice songs, but dark

I went with my twin 5 year olds and 3 year old. They absolutely love the original. They enjoyed most of the song and dance scenes, but I thought the movie was unnecessary dark. Both my mother and I were struck by how dark the movie was. There is a clear villain and the chase scene really scared my kids. I wish I had waited until they were a little older.

Parent of a 18+ year old Written bybrainsandcute2 December 29, 2018

Be prepared for potty breaks....

Here is what you need to know. The movie is a long one. 2+ hours long. It is a bit on the dark side, hence the ages 9+ rating. There are some scenes that would probably frighten the younger crowd. There are also thematic elements that might possibly go over the younger ones heads but the older ones will understand; death, anger, kidnapping, loss of home. The music is wonderful and it is a lovely family movie. Just be prepared to get a up a few times to take your little ones out for a popcorn break due to boredom.
Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written byhamwax December 28, 2018

Delightful.

This was a great movie. Unlike many films today, it is paced deliberately, has genuinely nice characters who aren’t portrayed as cool because they’re sassy or self-centered, and takes a very childlike approach to fantasy. My daughter was deeply engrossed. It was a joy to see.

Adult Written bymjkapp80014 March 4, 2019

A Great Comeback

This fabulous movie really takes off where the original ends. Of course things and events have moved on, some pleasant others not. I'm not sure if many realize this important event but I'm pointing it out. New events, family difficulties, successfully resolved mix very well with a bit of nostalgia thrown in to keep the Mary Poppins character and her style make it a great film! It is all done very well with no slow/boring areas. Two well spent hours!

Parent of a 7 year old Written byErica99 February 1, 2019

Jumping up and down at the end of the movie

Our 7 year old daughter loved it. She saw the original on a small screen years ago, so she had that additional context. It was a lot of fun for us parents, too. I highly recommend for all ages.

Adult Written bygeorge11 January 22, 2019

Practically Perfect in Every Way

I watched it on January 16, almost 1 month after it came out, and it was the best movie I’ve ever seen in years. The most I’ve anticipated seeing in theaters since Star Wars: Ep VII - The Force Awakens came out, except that movie was not so good and a rehash of the original Star Wars movie a.k.a. A New Hope with bits of Ep V The Empire Strikes Back and Ep VI Return of the Jedi, but this was a breath of fresh air. It had a perfect storyline, perfect characters, perfect acting, and perfect dialogue. Though the music songs were flawed on some, with the fact and reports that a Spoonful of Sugar, Chim Chim Chimiree or Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious aren’t on it. Plus Emily Blunt plays Mary Poppins instead of the original Julie Andrews, though I still do respect Emily and her work on acting her character. Yet the movie’s rated PG for mild thematic sequences and brief action, keeping it from being suitable for all ages(as opposed to the original). All of which are reasonswhy this loses 1 star. But compared to the other movies which are either action movies that have too much CGI or remakes of classic Disney movies, it’s practically perfect in every way.

Adult Written byDesignChick01 January 18, 2019

My 5 year old loved it, I thought it was worth the price of admission but not much more.

I'm confused as to why this movie has a 7+ age rating from parents. Other than a few cheeky remarks (which my kiddo didn't understand anyway) I can't see why a 4 or 5 year old wouldn't enjoy it. I found it to be lacking in originality - it's really just a carbon copy of the first film with all the characters made over and the sequence jumbled up. I enjoyed the music but over all the film didn't wow me. My daughter, however cannot stop talking about it. There are so few good family films for young children, I was happy to have this one in our local theatre.
Adult Written bytrickmind January 17, 2019

Most everything is great but the songs.

Was this really 2 and a half hours? I get bored with a lot of movies but I didn't get bored with this one and I sure didn't notice it was 2 hours. Actually the only time I got bored was with the one Meryl Streep scene. Not her fault the whole scene as it was written seemed pointless and just not that entertaining. The rest was great. It was touching with suspense, good villians, the guy that played Micheal as an adult was the best actor and it was fun and magical. The songs just weren't really good though. I mean they weren't so terrible that I hated them but they were not good disapointing compared to the great catchy songs of the original. I am a young(ish) widow and cried a lot during the scene where Micheal was singing about the death of his wife. I went with my autistic 12 year old and he did not get bored at all. HIs own dad died when he was 8 when his mental age was more like 3 or 4. I don't know if he took in the whole parent is dead plotline or not.

Adult Written byBlack Coffee January 17, 2019

Too scary and a little salacious.

Well, for my five year old's first ever movie trip we thought this would be perfect. He adores Mary Poppins and has watched the DVD many many times. We were not prepared for a very young child to be kidnapped by grim cartoon animals, to be told "you'll never see your family again" and for the dark, disorientating peril of it. When the laughing Wolf turns and snarls, baring his teeth and glowing red with demonic red eyes it tips into PG. My five year old was very frightened and for the first time in his life lost sleep over a film for several nights. That is NOT what a Mary Poppins fan expects. This scene is supposed to be the counterpart of the gentle, amusing fox hunting the original. Pah. Mary Poppins awkward and salacious Sally Bowles routine is a serious misjudgement, singing music hall songs about sex and nudity. Who though that was a good idea? And rapping? And BMX tricks. Give me a break. The cast go down a sewer at one point. Blee. The rest of the film has a dark tone, harping on grief, tears, mental illness and is dimly lit, about 70% being in murky night, having a look of Carol Reed's Oliver! rather than the candy-cane paintbox of the original Poppins.

Adult Written bydanmackey January 12, 2019

Excellent for both kids and adults!

Great story. Great animation. Too long for young children. Positive messages throughout the film. Fantastic ending!
Adult Written bysjknipping January 9, 2019

A celebration of childhood for my children a re connection with them

My children saw the original Mary Poppins in the 1990s. It was one of the classics that they remembered. So I promised my now adult children that we would view Poppins Returns together. We were not disappointed. We loved it
Adult Written byMirMusic3 January 5, 2019

New story, Same Experience

In this throw-back film, Emily Blunt accomplishes a successful personification of the iconic nanny, Mary Poppins. The film, heavy laden with nostalgia and positive emotion, is overall well done. However, several elements stick out as sore thumbs among the art. Lin Manuel Miranda plays the role of "Jack", a lamplighter in the spirit the original chimney sweep. Miranda is primarily a composer (the composer of the score the the musical Hamilton) . Good idea, good guy, but not a good enough dancer. The bottom line: he is not really a performer. In addition, the producers of Mary Poppins Returns create new songs which brilliantly imitate the spirit of each musical number in the original musical. The cantata which attempts to personify "Supercalifragilistic" is titled "The Cover is Not the Book" and displays a saloon-clad Mary substituting proper English for cockney. The array of adult jokes through the number prove a big turn-off. Overall, this number is distracting, out-of-character and risque. Other elements in this film protrude as falling short of the "practically perfect"movie we as a culture have come to expect. But at the end of the day, Mary Poppins Returns will make us cry, bring a smile to our faces, kindle a sensation flying, and help us to again recall what it is like to be a child.

Adult Written byMichael O. January 3, 2019

A classic in its very own right

A beautifully nostalgic continuation of a beloved tale that easily makes its own impression for a new generation.

Parent of a 18+ year old Written byBlondJedi January 2, 2019

Mary Poppins Returns

Very fun and upbeat. Emily Blunt is a Great Mary Poppins!
Adult Written byCnP1981 January 2, 2019

A Magical Delight

I was a bit skeptical about seeing this movie as I didn't think it would measure up to the original, one of my favorite musicals from my childhood. So, I was pleasantly surprised that this movie was so good and had much of the same charm as the original. Emily Blunt was a superb Mary and Lin-Manuel Miranda as Jack was a delight and reminded me of Dick Van Dyke's Bert in the original. Both these actors were great and created their own unique characters. They didn't have the same chemistry as Van Dyke and Andrews, but it didn't matter. Loved the music - catchy and very sweet songs! The children were charming and Dick Van Dyke returning was such a special moment. Angela Lansbury and Meryl Streep - wonderful!