Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Mary Poppins Returns

Blunt is a delight in sweet, nostalgic, toe-tapping sequel.

Adult Written byC77 March 19, 2019

Good for older kids

This movie was delightful, enchanting and visually beautiful. I loved the cameos by Vandyke and Landsbury. It's a little more realistic than the original one in the sense the kids are dealing with the loss of their mother. And it's really long (over 2 hours), so small kids will get fidgety. The only scene I didn't care for was the "Cover is not the book" song and dance. It was a little crude for Mary Poppins.
Adult Written bywhisper78 March 19, 2019

Very Disappointed

Too dark. One Mary Poppins dance scene caught me off guard when she thrusted her pelvis. Not Mary Poppins, please! As a 4 year old kid I remember singing songs as I left the theater. I can't even remember any of the songs from the Mary Poppins Returns. Wish there were musical geniuses like we had in the original to create songs that would be memorable.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byDylan1226 March 18, 2019

Absolutely delightful, fun movie for all ages!!!

I'm always wary or sequels that come out so long after the fact, but this one was absolutely outstanding. Emily Blunt steps into Julie Andrews' shows and is as perfect in the sequel as Andrews was in the original. The music is fun and catchy. My sons, 13 and 11, both loved it as well. Just a fun movie. A lot of great cameos as well. One early on does not work, but two later in the movie are nothing short of outstanding.

Adult Written bytieyellis12 March 17, 2019

I absolutely love it and can't get enough

This movie is everything. It picked up on all of the characters from the original and it's so entertaining. Emily Blunt and Lin Manuel are wonderful. I saw it twice in the theater and bought it as soon as it came out and my goal is to watch it until I memorize the songs. I honestly do not understand the bad reviews, It's outstanding

Adult Written byalice88keys March 16, 2019

You cannot miss this historical classic!

I suspect that most people have seen Mary Poppins the original, which is an amazing classic, in the opinion of this former child and current parent. Although Poppins Returns is a 'derivative work' in many ways -- you can practically map its structure to the original, and there are elements that are imperfect perhaps, there are superlatives about this film that make it a must see in the humble opinion of this writer. Thanks to Rob Marshall and the majority of his exquisite cast, this film is 'practically perfect in every way'. I will give brief mention to my perceived negatives. The Ms. Streep scene sounds as though she is attempting to reprise her role as Sophie in Sophie's Choice, but the scene is too busy, too confusing and overall given the length of the film and the value of this number detracts from the value of the film. My kids could not wait for it to end, and I felt the same way. It was annoying. On other notes I do agree with the overall darkness of the film. Too often it was so dark, it was difficult to make out what was happening. A kid's film would be better off using color and light more effectively. I was noting that there was more 'evil' noted in this film than the original, but perhaps that is necessary for lessons learned - the children needed to learn (the particular lesson being taught in that sequence). The nature of the cartoon and the way it played, only for a few seconds, was nothing compared to children's movies of today. At one point, the children's father become's angry with them, which was appropriate, but the script had him take it too far, blaming them for his looming predicament -- not their fault and something for which he did not apologize. That was weak and disappointing. Finally, the movie was long, which would not have mattered if not for the above. As for the positives, consider every detail of the remaining film. Tremendously original (oscar award-winning), creative, and entertaining. it did not surprise me to see that Rob Marshall was at the helm of this work. It was creatively brilliant. Not just the musical numbers, but the casting and direction the creators of this film had the wisdom to collaborate with the available talent from the original film -- Richard Sherman to consult on songwriting, Dick Van Dyke who still has a role at the Bank, and even a crew of the original penguin animation artists. They were concerned about doing things right, and it shows. Though the framework and the spirit may have been derivative -- it was no crime because it was, after all, a long-awaited sequel to a children's classic, the music was a whole new brand of wonderful. The children and their father were dealing two other heartwrenching crises besides the potential loss of their father's job. They really need Mary Poppins this time! As you may have heard, Emily Blunt as you have never seen her, accompanied by an amazing cast, delivers. Enjoy!

Adult Written byghostyroasty March 8, 2019

Tries Too Hard to Imitate the Original

While I enjoyed the film, as did my three children, I couldn't help to compare it to the original film in terms of the plot. Several points in the new film are lifted from the original. Cleaning their room in the original, turned into a bathing scene... Visiting Uncle Albert in the original turns into visiting Cousin Topsy. These are only a couple parts that happen at the same time as they did in the original. "A Cover is Not a Book" seemed a little too risque to be in a Poppins film. As for the run time of the film, the original is actually longer by close to 10 minutes. If your child enjoyed the original, they will definitely enjoy Mary Poppins Returns. As an adult, I couldn't help but compare it to the original and was left wanting a bit more.

Adult Written byRoxin February 21, 2019

Adult Written bysimpleebella January 13, 2019

Fantastic! Our new favorite movie

The best, loving the original and the new one. Emily Blunt and other acting was fabulous. Movie of the century! We own the soundtrack and can’t wait to own the video.

Adult Written bynormaldad January 5, 2019

Pain. Pure Torture!

Sometimes parents choose a film for their kids that subconsciously they know is not really for their kids. Yeah well you know what I mean. This is that movie. This movie was about death, darkness, looming homelessness with schizophrenic abstraction. My four year old girl did not have a clue what was going on. She was just bored to death. I was in pain. A few scenes did manage to scared the shit out of her though. The movie dragged on and on and on and on. It was so damn LONG...and they would not stop freaking singing. I heard myself start to laugh in agony and moan “oh God please make them stop. PLEASE”. No kid on earth is going to even half enjoy this film.
Adult Written bypnchn January 5, 2019
Adult Written byNorm S. January 4, 2019

Wow! What Visual Effects!

My nomination for best visual effects Oscar!

Adult Written byAustin B. December 28, 2018

Bad

Movie was rushed and they did not take there time one of the worst movie of 2018

Parent of a 18+ year old Written byTabletlover1234 December 20, 2018

This is absolutely disgusting

It wasn't an independent film company so it got my goatee and lensless glasses in a twist. As a self Identified hipster non-independent films make me not happy. I will definitely not be contributing to this films box office gross. as the ancient hieroglyphs say: bird thing, jackal, oar, wheat, festival!