Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Mary Poppins Returns

Blunt is a delight in sweet, nostalgic, toe-tapping sequel.

Adult Written byNorm S. January 4, 2019

Wow! What Visual Effects!

My nomination for best visual effects Oscar!

Adult Written byPJ21275 January 4, 2019

It grows on you

I own Mary Poppins with Julie Andrews and I have loved it since I was a child. The first scene concerned me with the song that Jack enters in on because I kept thinking, He's no Bert! But then I thought, don't do that. Don't sit and compare every aspect to the original. Just enjoy this movie for its story line. So when I let go of the original and quit expecting it to be the original, I truly enjoyed the movie. Everyone is expecting the first Mary Poppins, but that's already been done. People are complaining about the real life struggles that they addressed, but those struggles are a reality for many. Was it too much for kids? Definitely not for the kids who have gone through rough times, but also not for those who haven't. With a little guidance, it's an opportunity to let your kids know that these things happen, but they are truly blessed for not having to experience it. It wasn't over-the-top dark, but it wasn't a cheery bowl of sugar the whole time either. Good does prevail over evil. The family overcomes the obstacles. The father does get angry but it's due to stress; and in most households, that happens. He does realize his error. He loves his children. They overcome as a family. There is a lot of positive to contradict the unfortunate events that happen. Mary Poppins doesn't show up for perfect situations and it seems everyone has romanticized the original so much that they forget that the parents were not very hands on with their children (barely noticed them unless they got in trouble). The father was strict, rigid and a workaholic. The mother was solely focused on women's rights. The maids fought constantly. The nanny's were mean and hateful. The children were misbehaving. It was a mess! The return is similar in that things have happened that have caused roles to shift, dreams to diminish and stress levels to rise, children forgetting to be children and adults forgetting how to have a childlike heart. Just the sort of mess that Mary Poppins loves to work through with a family.
Parent Written byAndrew K. January 4, 2019

Great, family friendly fun for everyone

I was really happy that Mary Poppins both felt just like the original, and still managed to be fresh. I also appreciated that there was no crude humor, fart jokes, or anything questionable.

Adult Written bymayog January 4, 2019

An updated Mary Poppins for the 21st century

I took my five-year old son to see Mary Poppins in the theater yesterday. He liked it quite a bit, even the scary parts. He has seen Lion King, Kung Fu Panda, and How to Train Your Dragon. This was no scarier than the scenes in any of those productions. Where MP Returns differs from the original is in the location of the conflict. In the original, the conflict comes from a male head of household who has bought into the patriarchal and capitalistic order of the banking industry, and cannot abide childishness or foolishness. In the latter, the conflict arises, primarily, from predatory lending made worse by the grieving of the otherwise creative male character who has not completely forgotten his childhood, although he claims not to believe it. Externalizing the conflict makes the movie different, but also a nicely pointed critique of current banking practices. Jane is following her mother into crusading for rights, this time, workers' rights; and the love story between Jane and Jack is sweet. The production value of the film is gorgeous, if a little obvious, going from grey and fog to cherry blossoms and technicolor. Lin Manuel-Miranda smashes the part of Jack; I wasn't as enamoured with Blunt as Mary Poppins, but then I'm a HUGE Julie Andrews fan, so take that with a grain of salt. The dancing of the lamp lighters is easily as good as the "Step in Time" scene, and the Big Ben scene is marvelous. All of the principals are white or white-Latino, although the rest of the cast is, finally, more racially diverse. Meryl Streep's cameo is appropriately weird, and it was great to see some of the old actors come out for their cameos at the end of the film. I plan to go see it again, and I suspect we'll have this on rotation when it comes to Netflix.

Adult Written byMichael O. January 3, 2019

A classic in its very own right

A beautifully nostalgic continuation of a beloved tale that easily makes its own impression for a new generation.

Parent of a 18+ year old Written byBlondJedi January 2, 2019

Mary Poppins Returns

Very fun and upbeat. Emily Blunt is a Great Mary Poppins!
Adult Written byAGR1227 January 2, 2019

Wonderful Family Film!

Not really understanding the reviewer who said the movie was "scary" and that her child would have nightmares...? I am the parent of a HIGHLY sensitive child and therefore am very sensitive myself to the things that would upset her, which can be very nuanced. Other than the fact that the Mom is the film is deceased, (there were certain ages that this would have caused my daughter some questioning and maybe ruminating, which is why we avoided Disney films altogether) there is literally nothing violent, dark, perilous or scary about this movie. The Dad cries about the loss of his wife, twice. Again at age 5-7, this would have distressed my daughter. It's long for the youngest viewer, I'd keep it at age 6 and up, (I feel that way about all movies really) but upbeat and delightful. Yes, the Dad gets angry at the children twice in the film, but he is not in any way unkind or disrespectful. He expresses his upset in a healthy way IMO. The banker is mean, but WAY less than most Disney villians....he is financially motivated, he isn't trying to kill anyone, which is a departure from most (all?) Disney plots. But that is dealt with in a just way....the villain is seen for who he is and the way it happens is just delightful. Just a sweet movie, and a wonderful time. Such a rarity. Zero language, zero violence, zero innuendo. Refreshing!!! That said, I have never seen the original, so can't compare. Emily Blunt was fantastic. I'm sure it isn't as good as the first one, but did anyone expect that? : / The original is a timeless classic...of course a sequel made some 50 years later would be worlds apart...? But that's ok isn't it? Sweet movie, family friendly, which is such a rarity. We loved it.

Adult Written byCnP1981 January 2, 2019

A Magical Delight

I was a bit skeptical about seeing this movie as I didn't think it would measure up to the original, one of my favorite musicals from my childhood. So, I was pleasantly surprised that this movie was so good and had much of the same charm as the original. Emily Blunt was a superb Mary and Lin-Manuel Miranda as Jack was a delight and reminded me of Dick Van Dyke's Bert in the original. Both these actors were great and created their own unique characters. They didn't have the same chemistry as Van Dyke and Andrews, but it didn't matter. Loved the music - catchy and very sweet songs! The children were charming and Dick Van Dyke returning was such a special moment. Angela Lansbury and Meryl Streep - wonderful!

Adult Written byEmilyblack2070 January 1, 2019

Wholesome entertainment at its finest!

A whimsical, poignant sequel to the original that is a fantastical delight for both the young and young at heart. Wholesome, old fashioned entertainment has finally reached the 21st Century. Cannot wait to add this movie to my perssonal collection when the time comes. Perfect entertainment for a cosy wintry weekend at home in front of the fire!

Adult Written byzanedia January 1, 2019

Disappointing, Scary Moments & Dad Portrayed as Incompetent

My family enjoyed the original Mary Poppins, but the sequel is not worth watching. The movie opens with the family receiving an eviction notice. The main theme of the movie is that the father has not paid bills timely due to the death of his wife while the kids are attempting to rescue him from the eviction. There is a banker who is kind to the father, but trying to deceive him behind his back. There are some scary and tense scenes. There is also a scene where where Mary Poppins performs a song about books with some of the lyrics being to edgy for my family. Mary Poppins was portrayed as mean, rather than strict. We were hoping for a lighthearted singalong type movie and this did NOT deliver.
Parent Written byjocelynaus December 31, 2018

Wildly self indulgent and lacking in heart

This movie is appropriate for all ages but at over 2 hours long some drawn out sections will bore some children (and adults). My family, big fans of the books and original film were excited to see Mary Poppins Returns, however found some parts exceptionally self indulgent and almost a not-quite-a-re-enactment of the better original film. Some parts are pure whimsy and wonderful such as the bath sequence and start of the (heavy product placement) “Royal Doulton” bowl sequence, both featured in the trailer. Others parts, such as a completely unnecessary homage to the chimney sweep dance held in a sewer (???) had people walking out of our session and I considered the same. We persevered and were rewarded with Dick Van Dyke’s cameo. Fans of the original movie will be very confused by the resolution of the major challenge. I wished we saw it on video, but will not see it again when we have that chance. That all said, my 7 and 9 year olds did enjoy it.

Adult Written bydejans_jules December 31, 2018

Enchanting in its own right

We went with all our children, ages 3 to 10. The youngest enjoyed parts, but found some of it slow and a couple scenes too scary (although I think she will watch it at home again). The rest of us walked out with lots to share and a good feeling as well. We went to get the soundtrack also, which adds to our appreciation of our experience. It was our first time taking our children to the movies, so it was really a memorable experience. It is a good film to see TOGETHER with your children so you can talk about its themes and have good discussion, as well as enjoy their perspectives and opinions. Our family enjoys musicals as a whole, so they could appreciate and roll with the film. Families less inclined to that style may find it less enjoyable. It has Walt Disney-style movie magic rather than CGI, which I personally appreciated. Nice character development and story line. Why Frozen was so popular and yet this gets such criticism is beyond me, but everyone has their own opinion. As a fan of Julie Andrews/Dick Van Dyke's Mary Poppins, this film and Emily Blunt/Lin-Manuel Miranda is pretty great, too. Looking forward to the DVD release.

Adult Written byJanettehc December 30, 2018

Too long for little ones. Not as good as the original

Watched the original with my 5 and 7 yr old the day before and the 7yr old picked up mist of the songs immediately. The songs in the new one are not as catchy. My 5yr old struggled to keep focus. Blunts Mary Poppins accent is over exaggerated which for me, ruined most of the film.
Adult Written byB L December 30, 2018

Mary Poppins returns

We took our 8 year old to see this ( she has seen the original as well). There were more old people than kids in the theater but my daughter liked it. She got a little squirmy towards the end just from sitting so long. It is quite a long movie about 2.5 hours with previews. I thought Emily blunt was really good as Mary. The length & the one creepy scene with the wolf when they're in the bowl is why I said 7+ but other than that I found it to be one of the most family friendly clean movies I've seen in a long time!! Compared to Dog Days which is also rated PG_ I will not even let her watch that one. This is truly pg not pushing pg13 like a lot of them do. No cursing, name calling or really violence, no revealing outfits etc. I thought it was very cute.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byPima A. December 30, 2018

I love the mary poppins returns, the songs are excellent in disney way, and the lary dancing is so broadway!

Adult Written byAdventuringmama December 30, 2018

Fun and nice songs, but dark

I went with my twin 5 year olds and 3 year old. They absolutely love the original. They enjoyed most of the song and dance scenes, but I thought the movie was unnecessary dark. Both my mother and I were struck by how dark the movie was. There is a clear villain and the chase scene really scared my kids. I wish I had waited until they were a little older.

Adult Written byaliw. December 29, 2018

There is no number 2 to the number 1 Mary

This film, unlike the original, is based on a more adult but common Disney experience for children - the loss of a parent. What the hell Disney? Why is this your recurring theme? And add to that the loss of their home? Come on! This is nothing like the original. This is the opposite of original - it is a sequel that ticks off all the boxes of the original but does not stand up to to the spirit of it at all - not in lyrics or meaning or theme or talent. For example, when a child loses a parent it is of no comfort to hear, "Where lost things go" or something lame like that. "You cannot lose what cannot be lost" should have been the refrain. "You cannot lose your mothers gaze or touch or presence". Please. Julie Andrews come back! Elongated animation scenes aside, this does not measure up to the original Mary Poppins. I am disappointed to have spent the money to see it on the big screen. It followed the formula so carefully but sometimes a fresh artistic view is called for! Please Hollywood! Do better with our much beloved classics - let true artists take a chance! This is crap!
Parent of a 18+ year old Written bybrainsandcute2 December 29, 2018

Be prepared for potty breaks....

Here is what you need to know. The movie is a long one. 2+ hours long. It is a bit on the dark side, hence the ages 9+ rating. There are some scenes that would probably frighten the younger crowd. There are also thematic elements that might possibly go over the younger ones heads but the older ones will understand; death, anger, kidnapping, loss of home. The music is wonderful and it is a lovely family movie. Just be prepared to get a up a few times to take your little ones out for a popcorn break due to boredom.
Adult Written byAustin B. December 28, 2018

Bad

Movie was rushed and they did not take there time one of the worst movie of 2018

Adult Written byDanielTB80 December 28, 2018

Movie misses the Original’s Magic

For anyone expecting this movie to recapture the charm of the original movie, you will walk away from this movie disappointed. This is not Walt Disney’s Mary Poppins, this is a 21st Century take on Mary Poppins. This a modern musical with quick song structure and words in several of the songs that progress the story, but do not make for memorable lyrics. The movie opens well, but the point where my opinion changed on the movie was when there was a dark chase scene in the fantasy land scene. Did Mary Poppins lose control of the magic to the point that her children woke from nightmares? There was also a moment where Mary Poppins deliberately let the children out of her sight, which lead to a key plot point in the movie, but I felt was out of character for Mary Poppins compared to the original movie. Twice she lost (or allowed) her charges to get into trouble/peril, which never occurred in the original. That is not the Mary Poppins we grew up with. It also felt like the movie relied too much on Mary’s magic for the key clock scene and made a mockery of the efforts of the other characters in the scene. The villain in the movie being motivated by greed made this movie much darker than the original. The deadline in this movie also felt fabricated as well given how it was actually resolved. I think the casting was excellent and that Emily Blunt did an excellent job as Mary Poppins and that the overall acting in this movie ranged from good to great, but they are dependent on the script, which is where I think most of the problems with this movie occur. As a stand-alone movie, this movie is a reasonable movie for older kids, but it is a poor follow up to the original in my opinion.