Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Mary Poppins Returns

Blunt is a delight in sweet, nostalgic, toe-tapping sequel.

Adult Written byCnP1981 January 2, 2019

A Magical Delight

I was a bit skeptical about seeing this movie as I didn't think it would measure up to the original, one of my favorite musicals from my childhood. So, I was pleasantly surprised that this movie was so good and had much of the same charm as the original. Emily Blunt was a superb Mary and Lin-Manuel Miranda as Jack was a delight and reminded me of Dick Van Dyke's Bert in the original. Both these actors were great and created their own unique characters. They didn't have the same chemistry as Van Dyke and Andrews, but it didn't matter. Loved the music - catchy and very sweet songs! The children were charming and Dick Van Dyke returning was such a special moment. Angela Lansbury and Meryl Streep - wonderful!

Parent of a 8 year old Written byOllie_review May 14, 2019

mind blowing sequel!

Very fun musical, better then the first. Funny moments, with very rare langauge... "bloody", "pea brained" and "thick headed". And each time you see it, it's better!

Parent of a 7 and 13 year old Written byFlowermomma May 10, 2019
Adult Written byJoysinger53 May 10, 2019

Fun and heartwarming

Loved this continuation of the original and it also stands.

Adult Written byFaithNadherny May 7, 2019

Mary Poppins Returns

I liked it because it’s funny

Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written byronelleburger April 24, 2019

Wonderful family movie

Great movie and many useful lessons for kids! Good movie to watch together as a family.

Adult Written byShado7406 April 17, 2019

Magical Movie

I was unsure that Disney could pull off a sequel to the amazing first Mary Poppins classic but decided to take a look and see. I am so glad that I did. This movie captures the magic of the first movie in every possible way. Every character is perfectly cast. Emily Blunt did a great job and it would be criminal not to make another movie. Shout out to the amazing Ben Whishaw too.

Adult Written byugajewel April 17, 2019

Lackluster and contains mature theme

Many people may enjoy this movie for the whimsical nature it has, but I noticed disturbing lyrics in the stage show they put on about books. The song talks about trees having sex, a naked woman being robbed and people being beheaded. Seriously, my nine year old listens to lyrics and this was not something I wanted him to hear. The songs in general are disappointing compared to the original and the entire movie tries too hard to be what the first was. Many reviewers enjoyed Emily Blunt's version of Mary Poppins, but to me she was overacting and trying too hard to be Julie Andrews. I rolled my eyes more than once at her lines and facial expressions she displayed. It was not natural and I think the kids were better actors! I was also disappointed that they had Dick Van Dyke do a cameo, but not Julie Andrews. I'm glad I only rented this movie and did not buy it. I will stick to the original.
Adult Written byTheteenagewitch April 16, 2019

Practically disappointing in every way

Okay it was NOT Mary Poppins. I was very disappointed by this movie. It was pretty depressing and personally I think it relied more on special effects than storyline. There was a certain song in this movie that included inappropriate undertones. It would go over kids heads but it still made me uncomfortable.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byAdam E. April 12, 2019
Adult Written byPop. April 11, 2019
Adult Written byNeon 999 April 5, 2019
Adult Written byIsabella Xander... March 30, 2019

Predictable and more like Broadway than movie and if it was a 2nd part to the 1st mary poppins it failed horribly. The music was cheesy and the dancing was off and the kids were to rehearsed to a point that u knew it was just fake even the person playing mary poppins was fake. The only part i liked in it was the ending sitting through the movie i was just dying wanting to just burn the dvd because of how bad it was.

Dont get it or watch it. Its a waste of money and time.
Adult Written byCandice Palmer March 29, 2019

The best family music of 2018!

Such a darling movie. Definitely not the same plot as the first one, but it's true to the spirit of Mary Poppins. My daughter and I are reading the Mary Poppins books aloud right now. The movie is imaginative and unpredictable, and unlike the original Mary Poppins I appreciate that every song has a positive message. Subtle, but well done. The music is fantastic and the singing is as well. There is one scene that I think is slightly dark and scared my sensitive five-year-old - when they are going off the edge of the bowl - and I wonder why they put it in at all, but we snuggled her during that part and she was just fine. She listens to the soundtrack on repeat in our home. Definitely a winner in our books! Who knew Emily Blunt could sing?!

Adult Written byMarieadvises March 23, 2019

Adult Written bymovieman48 March 23, 2019

Mary misses the mark

A total misfire. One thing that made the first movie so memorable was the songs. I walked out from the sequel not able to remember a single song. The script was leaden and despite good intentions Blunt nowhere matched Julie Andrews' charisma. And the only thing our lamplighter friend had in common with Dick van Dyke was the awful Cockney accent. Hopeless!
Adult Written bybrodybelle March 23, 2019

Don’t let the reviews ruin your opinion before you see it!

Reading th reviews for this movie really set me up to not like it. I was kind of dreading watching it with my kids. It seems like people either love it or hate it. And the ones that hate it have a lot to say! I watched it with my children, ages 15, 12 and 7. We all liked it fine and my youngest even said it was better than the first! I first want to speak to those who say the movie was “dark”. I don’t know what they are talking about. It did have a few bad guy scenes, but they were fun. And the death of the mother was handled in a sweet way. For the average kid in today’s world who watches ANY Disney movie, this movie was not scary.....at all. Emily Blunt was wonderful!! She really made the movie. Everyone should definitely see it just to enjoy her. I did not think she was a mean Mary Poppins at all. I’m giving it four stars because there were some parts here and there that kind of dragged on and were maybe even unnecessary. Overall, this was a very cute movie and would like to watch it again without all these negative reviews in my head!
Adult Written byC77 March 19, 2019

Good for older kids

This movie was delightful, enchanting and visually beautiful. I loved the cameos by Vandyke and Landsbury. It's a little more realistic than the original one in the sense the kids are dealing with the loss of their mother. And it's really long (over 2 hours), so small kids will get fidgety. The only scene I didn't care for was the "Cover is not the book" song and dance. It was a little crude for Mary Poppins.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byDylan1226 March 18, 2019

Absolutely delightful, fun movie for all ages!!!

I'm always wary or sequels that come out so long after the fact, but this one was absolutely outstanding. Emily Blunt steps into Julie Andrews' shows and is as perfect in the sequel as Andrews was in the original. The music is fun and catchy. My sons, 13 and 11, both loved it as well. Just a fun movie. A lot of great cameos as well. One early on does not work, but two later in the movie are nothing short of outstanding.

Adult Written bytieyellis12 March 17, 2019

I absolutely love it and can't get enough

This movie is everything. It picked up on all of the characters from the original and it's so entertaining. Emily Blunt and Lin Manuel are wonderful. I saw it twice in the theater and bought it as soon as it came out and my goal is to watch it until I memorize the songs. I honestly do not understand the bad reviews, It's outstanding