All member reviews for Mary Poppins

World's coolest nanny celebrates family and fun.

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byTomDarla October 12, 2009

Kids love the music, magic, and fun

Kids at a very young age will enjoy this magical classic. Our child loved watching this movie soon after he turned 4. He is sensitive to tense scenes and conflict, which are scarcely seen in this film, so we often chose this movie over so many others deemed acceptable for young ones.
Parent Written byannielight January 13, 2011

Enchanting for a 4-year old

My 4-year old has a great attention span, and so this movie (which is a bit long and can seem slow in places) worked well for him. He just delights in the songs and animation/live action sequences.
Kid, 8 years old December 5, 2010

Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 April 22, 2011

Supercalifragilisticexpialidoucious!

There is nothing inappropriate in this movie what so ever. One really brief alley scene where a scary looking old woman says "Come with me my dears Granny will hide you." to Jane and Michael may startle little ones, but this is very unlikely. A fantatastic Julie Andrews musical!
Parent of a 4 year old Written byhonigc November 22, 2010

Magical movie for grade schoolers

We let our 4.5 year old watch this in 20 minute installments over a few weeks. She's never watched a full length film and I have to admit, I turned it on more for me than her - I needed a Julie Andrews fix! It's a wonderful, magical movie. She enjoyed the singing and dancing, but the details of the storyline were a bit over her head. We stopped it every so often to explain what was going on (what's a chimney sweep? what's a fox hunt? why is the father in a bad mood? etc), but I think that children who are slightly older would not need this decoding.
Adult Written bymoniwells January 12, 2009

Intense Scenes for Little One

Two scenes to be aware about: the kids get lost and then run into a "witch" and a dog baring its teeth and barking before they find Burt who doesn't look like Burt because he is covered in soot 2)The admiral and his man shoot at the chimney sweeps with his canon. Though they look like fireworks and no one gets hurt, they are still shooting at people. That's as far in the movie that we got because my 4 year old didn't "like that when they were shooting" and so we didn't watch the rest.

Umm...

Some people may like this movie, but frankly I think Mary Poppins is just boring. The only fun I get out of it is when my family plays the "say supercalafragalisticexpealadocious six times fast" game. Every scene is filled with lame songs, the plot is boring, and the characters are unrealistic.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byhelenstars November 10, 2011

Classic

This is a great movie to help parents and kids alike the importance of being silly. On the first viewing, however, my 5 year old was confused at the stressful twist at the end where the father loses his job. It is redeemed with the kite-flying scene, but still it was a discussion for us. Love this movie!
Kid, 10 years old August 1, 2011

Recipe For Happiness

Add a teaspoon of no violence, a half cup of no romantic stuff, a tablespoon of no language, and a bottle of Scary-No-More, and you get a great, happy, kids movie!!!
Parent of a 2 year old Written bythelongstocking May 9, 2011

Perfect for all ages

LOve this! My 3 year old son has been watching this movie since a baby.. It was the ONLy one we introduced due to its magical, sing song, feel good, imagination building ways. My son now dances, with a cane and a hat like Bert, sings all the songs, and believes in magic.
Teen, 14 years old Written byilovecookiez April 6, 2011

I knew this was gonna get 5 stars xD

I would watch this all the time when I was little. Me, my Mother, and my Grandma would sing her song about a really long word they made up that I forget. It's for all ages. There is nothing innapropiate in this classic film. :D
Parent of a 3 and 3 year old Written byjt7ou November 21, 2010

Step-in-Time Rocks!!!!

Love it!!! My 15 month old & 3 year old both love dancing to step-in-time!!! Our family's favorite movie!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMarioMii October 11, 2010

This movie is fun, and not important

I really liked this movie a lot. Some oldies TV shows and movies really feel like the puppet show I really miss because I really want to see a lot of shows or movies pretty similar to that puppet show by watching this movie. When I wanted to watch this movie again right after I saw the whole thing, my friend said "Already?" and also when I wanted to record myself do Step in Time dancing, my friend said "You don't need to do that," and this made me feel pretty iffy when my friend didn't let me do stuff like that. This movie is really fun, and not important.
Adult Written byigssmom April 9, 2008

A classic

My 3 year old daughter wants to watch this movie every day. She is learning a lot about empathy through watching the character development (i.e., the grumpy but loving father becomes a devoted family man.)
Adult Written bynina1978 April 9, 2008

A classic not to be missed!

This was one of my favorites as a child and now my daughter (age 5) has been enjoying it for over 2 years now. The only parts that were kind of iffy as far as her being able to understand and not be scared was the scuffle in the bank and the kids running scared through the alleys before Burt finds them. Otherwise it's still the best!
Teen, 15 years old Written bysarahcronin92203 January 13, 2015

GREAT FAMILY MOVIE

this is an amazing movie!! Julie Andrews and dick van dike are truely perfect in Mary Poppins. i have no complaints about this movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHightech Redneck September 4, 2014

It's a good movie.

NOTE: I HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK! This movie is a Disney classic. Good acting. Fun music. I like the part with the animated penguins with a real person. There is nothing bad for kids in it that I remember. Overall, it's a good kids movie.
Kid, 10 years old August 25, 2014

Worst Movie Ever!

This movie is dumb, loud, childish, weird, hateful, annoying, stupid, not very funny, un-fun, un-enjoyable, un-adorable, and is the worst family classical musical of all time even 1964. If Common Sense could make a zero-star option, I'd definitely pick that one. My friends also hate this movie. It also does NOT deserve a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Kid, 12 years old April 30, 2014

A wonderful supercalifragalisticexpialadoechus movie that will charm the whole family!

If you are looking for a light-hearted family classic to watch, this is the best one. It is arguably Disney's finest live-action/ animation movie, and it is wonderful in all ways. Mary Poppins is the perfect role model for children, and the singing penguins, dancing chimney-sweeps, glorious animation and more will enthral you to the end. Be careful, though, because it isn't all light-hearted, there are two scenes which stand out as very dark, which is the feed the birds song and the bank, and coming close is the introduction to the banks house. If your kids can handle it, which they probably will, then it's perfect.
Kid, 12 years old April 28, 2014

Everyone sould watch this

I love this movie ever since I saw it when I was 5 it is an amazing and fun movie for everyone. Also check out saving Mr. Banks it is also an amazing movie.