All parent member reviews for Mary Poppins

Educator and Parent of an infant year old Written byFosterFan October 8, 2011

Mary Poppins: A timeless classic.

Mary Poppins is a wonderful family film, which no kid should be denied of watching. Of course, it's a little long, but older kids should be able to handle it.
Educator and Parent Written byrpaditya May 20, 2011

classic

good opener for dialogue about role models, responsibility and play
Parent of a 2 year old Written bylemonbar April 23, 2011
We tried not to let our son watch any tv until two but ended up caving in when he was 18 months old and stuck inside sick with snow on the ground outside....He has been watching this movie since then (he is now 22 months old). He LOVES it, we all do. The cannon shots are a little jolting but other than that there is nothing but goodness in this fun movie with animation/real actors/real singing. He loves saying "up up up" like Mr. Banks and singing "let's go fly a kite, UP..."
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byMattmchugh April 11, 2011

Excellent for most ages, though long for very young kids

My kids -- 7 and 10 -- quite enjoyed this. While some of the cinematic effects are a little dated, they were state-of-the-art of their day -- though the songs and performances all hold up perfectly. My only comment for parents is that while "Mary Poppins" features plenty of kid-friendly singing and dancing and music and animation, it is a good bit longer than most typical kids' movies (139 minutes, rather than the 100-minute average of today). And, it's underlying themes of class and parenting are quite adult. I don't mean inappropriate but sophisticated. Witty songs on women's suffrage, the influence of the British Empire, and compounding interest will go way over young kids' heads. So, your preschoolers might get a tad bored. Your tweens and beyond, however, will enjoy it all the more. (My favorite joke: In reference to the Boston Tea Party, "Colonists boarded a British ship and dump crates of tea in the harbor, making it unfit to drink... even for Americans.") -- mm
Parent of a 3 year old Written bydavesteer December 26, 2010
Great movie. A ton of amazing, catchy songs with a positive message for kids. Even better when kids and parents watch together.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bychez_geek December 21, 2010
Parent of a 4, 4, and 7 year old Written bymagasalee December 3, 2010
The kids loved the songs and the make believe. They were talking about it and singing for days.
Parent Written byheather s November 24, 2010

Creative and Musical

Very positive and creative movie with memorable songs. One safety concern - sliding down the banister.
Parent Written bymom2twogirls1boy November 17, 2010
I loved this movie as a child and couldn't wait to share it with my girls. Ages 3 & 5, they both loved this movie. I rated it 3 and up only because I'm not sure the younger children have the attention span it requires to get through this one. My 5 year old can sit through the entire thing. My 3 year old will get up and want to do something else about halfway through. The music is great!
Parent of a 3 year old Written byyip95 August 23, 2010
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byAvasMom March 28, 2010
It's a little long (for the parents...not the kids). And get ready to buy the soundtrack...
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written bymcgold34 December 28, 2009

My daughter's favorite movie right now!

My 4 year old daughter absolutely loves this movie. We watched it together for family movie night, and she has asked to see it again and again (so we bought both the DVD). She especially loves the dancing and music! As a side note, we watched the movie because we wanted to take her to the play on Broadway, which she loved as well!
Parent of a 4 year old Written byJimL November 9, 2009
The only problem with this movie is that some parts are too "boring". But there are many delightful parts.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 26, 2009

great....

great classic movie
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byarudek805 February 7, 2009
Parent Written bymadronemedia December 19, 2008

Classic Family Fun

Great for young kids and old.
Adult Written bytorimorris April 9, 2008

4 year old loves it!

Our 4 year old saw this movie after meeting Mary Poppins at Disney World and just loves it. She watched everyday for weeks.