Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Mary Poppins

World's coolest nanny celebrates family and fun.

Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byAmelie L. February 3, 2018

Amazing Musical Drama w/ Julie Andrews

Mrs. Banks is a suffragette fighting for woman’s rights to vote highlighted in her Leitmotif “Lady Suffragette” though the point is often trivialised or pushed aside by the harsh (but well intentioned) Mr. Banks. Important to note the staged production does not include this musical number. Bert is an amazing role model for both boys and girls, finding the silver lining in everything and teaching the children valuable lessons about perspective and kindness (such as when he helps them realise their problems aren’t so bad when they find the silver lining). Potentially disturbing parts may come with Ms. Andrews who is a perfect foil of Mary Poppins and is rude, ill tempered and tries to punish the children for speaking their true feelings stating children should be seen but not heard. She insults Mrs. Banks’ home and interests and calls her a “silly woman.” Children are also likely to miss the subplots between Bert and Mary as his former nanny and the point about his abusive father who punished him for his anxiety issues (it’s mentioned Bert possibly used to suffer from Selective Mutism, an anxiety disorder until Mary taught him how to not fear the world and see the magic in everything) All in all it’s a fantastic movie and staged play that is just “Practically Perfect in every way” (pun intended) and you can never go wrong with Julie Andrews!

Parent Written byannielight January 13, 2011

Enchanting for a 4-year old

My 4-year old has a great attention span, and so this movie (which is a bit long and can seem slow in places) worked well for him. He just delights in the songs and animation/live action sequences.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byTomDarla October 12, 2009

Kids love the music, magic, and fun

Kids at a very young age will enjoy this magical classic. Our child loved watching this movie soon after he turned 4. He is sensitive to tense scenes and conflict, which are scarcely seen in this film, so we often chose this movie over so many others deemed acceptable for young ones.

Adult Written bynina1978 April 9, 2008

A classic not to be missed!

This was one of my favorites as a child and now my daughter (age 5) has been enjoying it for over 2 years now. The only parts that were kind of iffy as far as her being able to understand and not be scared was the scuffle in the bank and the kids running scared through the alleys before Burt finds them. Otherwise it's still the best!
Parent of a 4 year old Written byCatmunso April 23, 2019

My daughters first movie

It is a simple magical movie. It has good messages and almost none dark scenes. It was my daughters first movie at 3,5 years and 6 months later her one and only. We enjoy watching it in 20 minutes lapses.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byMeaganlondy January 9, 2019

Perfect

My kids love this movie more than any other.
Adult Written byBpue1 December 25, 2018

None of the originals songs

None of the original songs
Adult Written byRarityfan October 13, 2018

So the wait for Mary Poppins 2018 begins

Long in running time, but it is all that worth. Some old fashioned romance. Still looks fresh in 2018, and is so much quoted and parodyed these days. For the money you could empty your account with a vacation in London.

Parent Written byTravis T. August 17, 2018
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byM W March 18, 2018

Lots of fun music and 1 slightly scary scene

My children have not seen a lot of full-length movies, but they love music and dancing, so we tried watching this classic film. My 4 and 6 yo loved the songs. The scene where the kids go to the bank with their father and are badgered by the bankers was very freightening for my sensitive daughter. She started crying and wanted to turn the movie off at that point. I fast forwarded it a bit until the kids met the chimney sweep and pointed out who it was. They ended up liking it by the end of the film, but they have not asked to watch it again.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHendo H. U December 27, 2017

Parent of a 9 and 15 year old Written byMeowstiic T. December 7, 2017

Classic, Unforgettable, and Oscar Winning Magic

Mary Poppins will be forever in my mind as one of the best movies in the world, even better than Titanic. While there are thematic elements, it's just magical and amazing. You probably have seen this movie, but if you haven't, go see it somehow. Mary Poppins is a 5-star popcorn pleasure which anyone will love.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byMrs. C. B. November 18, 2017

Parent Written byS W June 16, 2017

Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bySara P. January 20, 2017

1st movie my kids ever saw and is still one of their favorites

This is such a safe bet for 2 or 3+. There is nothing menacing or scary in this movie (with the possible exception of when the bankers try to take Michael's money and they run off through dark parts of city. My daughter never worried about that part, but my son did not like it.) The kids get to be kids and learn behavior and manners, and their father gets to learn that his kids are more important than anything else.
Adult Written byShawna G. August 9, 2016

My daughter's favorite movie.

Most Disney movies contain scary villains and other scenes that I didn't feel comfortable showing to my sensitive 2 (almost 3) yr old. This movie is magical and fun with hardly any scary scenes. My daughter requests this movie multiple times per week (we watch 30 or 40 mins at a time). She watches in awe and sings along with the songs. We definitely recommend it.

Parent Written byDonutGIRL July 25, 2016

Mary Poppins

Family favorite in our house. Tied with Big Hero 6 and Frozen for best movie with our girls. The way Mr. Banks acts scared my 10yo when she first saw this (she was 4) but when she was around 5 and a half she started to like it.

Parent of a 2, 10, and 12 year old Written byRuth Wilson November 29, 2015

Coolest Film EVER.

It may be frightening to kids under four, but MOST children will handle it perfectly. For children under 7, some scenes may be boring, but it is AWESOME. Innocent flirting between two adults, a man is married and I think he kisses his wife, but it's all innocent. No real violence. Good for kids.

Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015

Adult Written byMidnighthaze94 July 31, 2015

Boring and repetitive for adults, innocent and fun for kids

I personally find this movie loud, annoying and very dull, but I do think it's a great pick for kids. I think this would be a great first live action movie to introduce a child to. It's squeaky clean fun for kids with the story about a loving nanny who sings songs, takes the kids on adventures, and ultimately helps the family grow much closer, as in the beginning of the film the father is a serious, no nonsense, workaholic, and the mother is too busy with her woman's lib rally's.