Clever animated superhero story is fun, not too scary.

Parent of a 6, 9, and 12 year old Written byoakhillsdrive November 26, 2010

So many wrong messages in this movie Bullying,...

My husband and I went to watch it without the children just to make sure it was appropriate. After the first five minutes, we decided this was not a good movie for our children. There are many parts of the story that even this website blew right past. Here goes my list of problems: 1) Bullying is appropriate and accepted behavior and never punished. 2) Being bad because that's what your good at is accepted. 3) Becoming the "good guy" because the new "bad guy" is not as bad as you were. 4) Heroes "quitting the business" because they are tired of helping other people and want to live for themselves. 5) The humor in it is exactly what I would expect from people who write for SNL. It's sad that no one is paying attention to any of these subjects that are so negative. Sorry Will Ferrell, but I will not take me kids to see this movie.
Kid, 10 years old December 21, 2010

Cute movie!

This was an awesome movie! I really loved and wouldn't mind seeing it again. It's animated and fun and shows teamwork, although it also depicts that what's the point of being bad when you can be good? Make sure to discuss this with younger kids before watching it. There is one very long kissing scene, but in the end it has a Disney-happy ending and all is well. Even interests and cracks up adults.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byStormi November 24, 2010
Really loved the movie. Very adorable and my 4 and 5 year old giggled and danced through it and really enjoyed it. There were a few things I was dismayed about for their age. Some of the song selections (even though they did technically stop the song before it said h*ll) and the villain yelling that there was no Easter bunny or tooth fairy seemed inappropriate for a children's movie. Overall great message and very cute. Not too violent- all done very cartoonish and laughy. Most appropriate for 6+ I think but still ok for 4 and 5 with some caution.
Kid, 11 years old July 24, 2012

Awesome Movie!!! REALLY Underrated!

This is one of the funniest animated movies ever made. When I first watched it, I laughed so hard my soda almost came up my nose. There are jokes for everyone in the family, with a lot of stuff that will go over younger kid's heads. All of the characters are wonderful and some of them, such as Roxanne Richie and Megamind (When he's not being "evil"), are good role models too. The movies has positive messages about what makes people 'good' or 'evil' and how when there's evil in the world, there will be good to stop it. There are tons of great quotes too, and my family could probably fill up a book of them. There are some relatively scary bits though, which make it a little too much for kids 6 and under. At the beginning of the film, there's a big explosion. The character Hal is obsessed with Roxanne, the main female character, and when she rejects him even once he's a superhero, he becomes very violent and dangerous. After that scene, the film becomes much more violent. There's a lot of fighting, stuff blowing up, and mayhem in general, but it's an animated film, and there are always jokes to lighten the mood. I think this is the perfect film for kids 7 and older.
Teen, 16 years old Written byabbacus May 23, 2012

Love it!

The animation is great. The characters are well made. It is very humorous and will have you laughing very often. There is a small dose of mild language, sex (flirting and kissing), and mild violence throughout (perfectly okay far a PG movie). I thought this movie was very similar to Monsters vs. Aliens. The animation was almost identical and one of the main characters looked a lot like a character from M vs. A.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byMom of 2 Califo... November 15, 2010
This movie is SO fun and funny - we made it a family outing and we all (mom, dad & two boys ages 6 & 8) loved it. My big disappointment about the movie is the one line where a character says "The Tooth Fairy & the Easter Bunny" aren't real. I thought for certain they were going to come back to clean that up by having the tooth fairy and / or bunny save the day or something but they never did! So, if you're trying to keep those things going for your young ones - don't take them to this one. But if they're beyond believing, it's a lot of fun!
Adult Written byEdelweis January 12, 2016

Funny, sweet, sensitive movie to watch again and again

First, I'll say that this is one of my favourite animated movies, right up there with Tangled and How To Train Your Dragon. First, we watch Megamind grow from a baby (adorable!) who simply lands in the wrong place - to a lonely, ostracised child. I will note here that the bullying he experiences is not quite of the distressingly physical/emotional level found in some kids' movies. (A case in point is 'Mr Peabody and Sherman' - the bullying there was intense enough to distress me, and I can imagine the effect it might have had on a sensitive child.) I thought the movie handled the topic exceptionally well - not prolonged or too intense, but quite enough to show what little Megamind went through, and how it shaped him as a person. -------------- The young Megamind just wants to fit in - to have friends and be admired - and as such is deeply relatable. The closing scene of his childhood sequence is a great segue into seeing his adult self, and understanding it. -------------- Not too much violence, although Roxanne being stranded on top of skyscrapers and people falling through great heights could be scary (or is that just my own fear of heights speaking?) Sexual content - all there is is a kiss and some hugging, all of which is more sweet than risque. Lots of very sweet, tentative romantic bonding, but no innuendo or dirty jokes that I picked up at all. I didn't notice any swearing. -------------- Megamind's transition from hero to villain was, I thought, very sensitively handled; he realises that he doesn't have to be the villain that everyone expects him to be. He's different, sure, and because of that, everyone has always expected him to be the bad guy - he looks the part! But the core of the story is him realising that he can choose to be a good person - a great message and a great role model if I ever saw one! No matter what anyone thinks, no matter how different he is, Megamind can be a hero and still be himself. -------------- All in all, I found this a thoughtful, delightful movie, recommended for all. Enjoy! -------------- Note: Please excuse the strange paragraph-break dash rows. There's no other way to break up my paragraphs, and without them my review is a massive chunk of text that's painful to read. :)
Educator Written bymaddox121 August 27, 2015

Language:

"Hell "Dam" "Bit--"
Kid, 11 years old January 20, 2014

Great, but a tiny bit of swearing and very mild battle violence

The story is about a super villain who defeats the superhero, but finds that being evil is no fun without good to fight against, so he uses some of the dead superhero's DNA to create another hero to fight - who turns evil! Megamind (the main character) has the weakness of this news reporter, Roxand Richie, who may convince him to fight against evil after all! there are some mildly epic battle scenes which may scare very young children and includes some kissing. there is one or two spots where it says the word fr - - - ing. Also, a character states that the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny don't exist (as well as the queen of England...har har!).
Parent Written byRobert Zaleski March 11, 2012

Entertaining with Good Plot dynamics while still being age appropriate

My 3 year old likes this movie. I think it plays on the typical villian/hero theme, which hopefully you've taught your kids to not take too seriously. People state about Metro Man quiting is probably right, but people need to take care of themselves too, so him deciding to do what he wants is probably fine. It's also clear from the start Mega Mind doesn't really want to be a bad guy, but chooses it as a result of experience. Overall I think this is a fine movie.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySS1234 April 20, 2015

Horrid

This was the only movie I feel asleep in while being at the cinema. I should have stuck to Morning Glory. It is also forgettable.
Kid, 10 years old December 21, 2014

some scary scenes

My dad brought me this film about 3 years ago and I enjoyed but there are some scary scenes like when Megamind kills one of his rivals a skeleton lands on his face
Kid, 12 years old July 5, 2013

Not good...

This movie disappointed me. It seemed like it was going to be great, when really, it was not that good.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 March 25, 2012

sequel?

some quite intesne action, including explosions, guns, lots of super powered fights, and a scene where t appears a character has died (a skeleton is shown)
Adult Written byChristian girlz March 12, 2011

Good movie, but inappropriate music

Let me begin by saying overall it was a good movie. It had many well told jokes that wern't overruled with crude humor, many memorable characters, and surprising twists that the whole the family enjoyed; But the music was far from suitable. Many of the songs were by Ac-Dc and Ozzy Osborne. We ended up muting out half the movie because of the music. So I would say it's not a very family friendly movie unless you mute out the music.
Educator and Parent of an infant year old Written byBatfan7 March 26, 2016

Funnier for older kids

Although I think kids younger than 9 would be fine sitting through this movie, personally, I thought it was funny because I've seen so many superhero movies and this one spoofed them - thus I think an older child (who has seen some superhero shows or movies) is a better audience. It takes cliches and flips them around, creating quite a few hilarious moments. Unlike another reviewer here, I'd disagree with the idea that this has negative messages. There is bullying (unpunished), but the main character is one who overcomes the situation in the end, which is a positive message. The main character temporarily is the 'bad guy', conforming to society's expectations, but the story shows how he rises above that, which is honestly a lot harder than staying in the safe, known, rut. I'd consider that redemption both a truer achievement and a more realistic one than having the bully punished somehow. The fact that the 'good guy' gets tired of the hero-ing and lives selfishly is actually a great lesson on how we shouldn't idolize beautiful, talented people (especially actors or singers) because they are flawed too (sometimes pretty badly) and aren't worthy of being put on such a high pedestal. Overall, a great movie with some deep lessons about overcoming stereotypes, and how underdogs sometimes do win. And a whole lot of laugh-out-loud humor! It's on our must-see list for when my baby boy is older.
Kid, 10 years old March 4, 2016

Megamind

Evil protagonist and a superhero antagonist makes the story kinda strange. Not enough action at some moments. Pretty boring until about 75 minutes into the movie. Mega mind and Roxanne also kiss at a restaurant
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheBombFunn August 9, 2013

Good when I first saw it, but so-so now...

When I got the movie on DVD in 2011, I loved it. It like, totally blew my mind! But now looking back at it, it's not too good, not terrible. There's some action that might be too intense for the youngest viewers and younger children might get upset that the movie states the tooth fairy and easter bunny aren't real, but tweens already know that. Other than that, it's fine...
Teen, 15 years old Written byLordoftheRings1997 July 26, 2013

Perfect Pick for the Family!

Wow, for once a family friendly Dream Works movie. After Madagascar and Ice Age, I was losing hope for Dream Works, until my mom found this gem! Squeaky clean (except for one use of the "b-u-t-t" word), funny, and full of powerful messages about our callings and that even the worst person can change! I found this movie absolutely delightful, and my four younger siblings LOVED IT! The youngest was 3, and handled it well! I laughed, I even felt like crying a few times, and the whole film I was rooting on this bad guy who desperately wants to find a purpose in life. MegaMind tries to fill the void inside with power and wealth and all that, but in the end, he realizes that hurting others only makes the hole worse. In the end, he chooses to protect the city, and the woman he loves! Great for the whole family!
Kid, 12 years old January 24, 2011

Great movie!

Great for the whole family! I saw it with a 6 year old,10year old ,12 yearold,15 yearold,21 yearold and everone loved it!