Lots of fun, but too scary for some kids.

Kid, 12 years old December 25, 2011

great

great movie
Kid, 10 years old October 4, 2012

Really cool movie, consumerism, scariness, violence and language advisory.

This, is, my first review ever (at least on here). My younger sister watched this, but she had to cover her eyes on one bit. Expect lots of cartoon violence, scariness, and, slime. Language is so-so. There is some icky images. It centres on this cool police officer (Will Smith), in whom he meets this man (Tommy Lee Jones), then you know what. Cooooooool action, including a certain little scene (which I won't spoil, that it is so cool). Violence includes comic but dark violence, scary aliens. Language includes mild to moderate stuff. Average PG-13 fare. The consumerism, definitely. This movie spawned an animated series, two sequels (the 3rd movie I saw in cinemas (really cool) and only got through half of the 2nd), probably a novelisation, some apps (based on the franchise altogether), videogames, and, soundtracks, of course. You must (or at least should) watch this at least once. Really. Load of consumerism surrounding it. Please note: If you call things like 'Burger King' and 'McDonalds' consumerism, keep reading. The company (studio) logo at the start (Columbia Pictures, A Sony Pictures Entertainment Company), is, consumerism, as well. Pause for 10. Off for 8 and under. Super-cool. Some classic lines. Awesome. Anyway, overall, (comically), violent, a little bit profane, so, PG-13 should be appropriate. (I do know the MPAA but I'm really a downunder person). The ratings for me: G. - General. Examples: Bee Movie, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Space Chimps, WALL-E, etc. Supposed to be suitable for all audiences. Can contain very mild content. Equivalence: Your G and PG. PG. - Parental Guidance. - Parental guidance is recommended, especially for people (persons) under 15. Examples: The Simpsons Movie, Hairspray (2007), Men in Black II. Can contain mild content. Equivalent to (sometimes) your G, (commonly) your PG, and, (sometimes, again), PG-13. M. - Recommended for Mature Audiences. - Also M15+. - Recommended for mature audiences, 15 years and over, but not restricted. Examples: Men in Black (this movie), The Blues Brothers, Jaws, Poltergeist, Easy A, The House Bunny, and, Click. Equivalent to (sometimes) your PG (Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, Eragon, older Spielberg movies such as Jaws), (commonly) your PG-13, and, (sometimes, yet again), R. - May contain moderate content. MA15+. - Not suitable for people under 15 years. Persons under 15 must be accompanied by a parent or an adult guardian. - Similar to R (a little bit). This means, that, if you're under 15, you need to be accompanied by an adult at all times. If you're over 15, it's not so bad. You don't need the (two rows above), forementioned. Otherwise, (under 15s without guardians), this rating is RESTRICTED. It is a federal offence to not accompany an under 15 during an MA movie. They can charge you a LOT of MONEY. Examples: 127 Hours, Black Swan, Blade, The Punisher, and, Sin City. May contain STRONG content. Equivalent to (sometimes) PG-13, (and, all of the time), R. R18+. - RESTRICTED. - Restricted to 18 and over. Adults only. May contain HIGH IMPACT CONTENT. No one under 18 is allowed, what-so-ever. Equivalency: (most of the time), R, and, (sometimes), NC-17. - Examples: Fight Club, and, Chopper. Anyway, back to Men in Black, really, good, movie. Thank you for reading. MoviesAreAwesome.
Kid, 9 years old June 15, 2012

MEN IN BLACK

A great sci-fi Will Smith vs. alien movie.
Adult Written byJ0SH24 May 1, 2012

good review

there is a lot of use of d*mn and a few milder words but that about it for language. A lot of violence when one alien shoves a thorn/spear through another aliens neck. One time laurel asks Mr.White what she likes to do at night.
Kid, 11 years old February 21, 2012

MIB

I think that it would be a bit scary for some kids but I loved it a lot it was one of the best films I have seen!!!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byCBeth February 13, 2011

Really fun sci-fi movie; tweens and up will enjoy but parents should decide what age

As sci-fi fans in general, we (parents & 9 year old) had a great time with this movie; it is quite clever and witty. It is irreverent in enjoyable ways and the characters are fun. Whether or not it is OK for your tween is really dependent on the kid. Ours gets a kick out of what is clearly silly and imaginative gore (blowing up alien bugs) and is quite able to distinguish between this and any "real" suffering (which he won't watch). There is a bit of "language," but again, our son knows that this is for the movies only. The sexual innuendo just went over his head. Overall, a terrific and imaginative movie -- enjoy!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybibliophile November 10, 2008

Pretty good...

Okay, the reason I said for seventeen and older is because of the language. There is LOTS of language. Probably at least forty swear words. Other than that, there are a few innuendos, and a few alien gore scenes. But nothing explicit. I highly recommend an edited version, such as ClearPlay DVD Player (clearplay.com).
Adult Written bykurra April 9, 2008
This movie is really funny! I love it!
Teen, 15 years old Written bymarvelfreak August 30, 2016

fun science fiction comedy

If you like comedy and aliens I guarantee you will love this film.
Teen, 14 years old Written bygregguy August 27, 2016

Lots of fun, but lots of language

Thi movie is very entertaining and kids will enjoy it, if they aren't scared by the fantasy violence. But parents need to know that this movie is heavy on language. "Pr*ck, d*ck, sh*t, godd*mn" and more words are said throughout the movie but nothing gets stronger than "sh*t". So if you're kids can handle the fantasy violence and you are okay with the language, this is a great movie for family viewing.
Kid, 9 years old July 13, 2016

I LOVE WILL SMITH!!!!! Might be scary for some kids

There are uses of Damn, Hell and S--t and some creepy stuff like a big bug with a creepy face, the bug kills a human and uses their skin as a disguise, an alien in a store`s head was blasted off and grew back and an alien that turns creepy and tries to eat someone after he sees a human. A little gun violence as well.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySlendyDaMan March 12, 2016

Funny, but not for young kids

SPOILERS Overall, pretty funny movie. Lots of comic violence, some language and mild racial stereotypes, suggestive sex, although it never happens, and scary images. One particularly gruesome scene is when an alien kills and skins someone (off screen, but you can hear screaming), and wears it over his skin as a disguise. The pulls back the skin on his face, and this is frightening and disturbing. Other than that, fine for most kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBuffy Rules January 20, 2016

Review #1 - This is my third favourite film ever. It is hilarious.

PART ONE --- FILM BUFFS, STORY AND LIKELY APPEAL Ah, the 1990s. Always a good decade for films and TV. You've got the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Home Alone, Mrs Doubtfire, the first Santa Clause movie... and then, in 1997, Men in Black hit theatres worldwide with its surreal mix of action and comedy. This has two levels of appeal: One is for older tweens who will love a good villain and a bit of an edge, and the other is for film buffs and science fiction fans to have a lighter option. The film is about an agent named K who works for the titular organisation (Tommy Lee Jones, with his dry wit) who recruits NYPD street-smart cop J (the ever-popular Will Smith - heck, I wonder why he seems less popular these days than the 90s' - maybe it was After Earth?) Anyway, the organisation polices aliens and their activity on Earth and our villain is a violent visitor who they call Mike. To say any more about it would spoil gags. So let's just say Columbia Pictures, Barry Sonnenfeld and the stars Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith made a good film. PART TWO --- THE PARENTS' POINT OF VIEW This film should probably be okay for 10-year-olds. Sure, it's a little scary, but kids like that. Remember Monster House, anyone? That's scarier than this. In fact, here in Australia, the videotape was originally rated PG (there in America, General PG/Lighter PG-13) but my edition is M (General PG-13/Lighter R). For positive messages and role models (rating 4/5), these two agents work well together and learn to get on, but the device they call the "neuralyser" --- a short sonic screwdriver-type device that when it flashes erases people's memories could be both considered lying about the alien proof and protecting them from it. There's a woman who is quite strong, but not, you know, Katniss-Everdeen strong. So it depends from your point of view. The enemy is pretty obvious. Meanwhile, the violence is probably a lower PG-13, but will satisfy especially teenage boys. Let's see... overall, it's put in there throughout but an alien commits suicide (sound heard, impact cut), chase scenes that are exciting, people in dangerous situations with aliens, an alien's head explodes from a gunshot into green blood all over a wall which it regrows, but the worst is either an exterminator gets a gas gun shoved down his throat (no blood or gore, but you hear him grunt) and one brief scene where a man has cockroaches put in his food, is stabbed in the neck by an alien (no blood or gore but you hear a knife sound briefly) and another is put through similar, though this goes so quick, like 3-5 seconds at most. The third worst is probably that a guy is covered in slime and stuck to the ceiling (act not shown, but this aftermath is). The funny thing: David Cross, the guy who plays Ian Hawke in the Chipmunk films, a minor character here, is the one stuck up there. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- For kids under 10, the language may be a bit much. There's one use of "pr*ck" (not the needle kind), "d*ck" is used twice (not the detective kind), "d*mn" and "h*ll" altogether are used 30 times in total together, "punk-*ss", "b*st*rd" and other similar profanities are put there, probably the main reason for the PG-13. And there is one sex reference referring to a fact a woman can't get sexual independence. I seem to recall drinking and the bug aliens smoking, but not much. I think K tells them to cut down on smoking. Oh, and who cares about consumerism? Just explain that ads can lie, like those fantasy creatures, sirens. I'm sure that, as with any movie, the production company logo is visible at the start, and that is Columbia Pictures, for like 20 seconds, which fades into space. PART THREE: THE MOVIE REVIEW Surreal, exciting and witty, this movie has quickly become one of my favourites upon seeing it several times. It contains slapstick, slime and fast-paced wit, and the running time seems to zip by. The actors are good at what they do, and there are hilarious moments (one early on where Will's character has to sign a questionaire for the organisation and he pulls the table in the middle of the room across the floor, with a nails-on-the-chalkboard type noise almost). Please watch, like and enjoy. Thank you for reading. P.S. Now that I think about it, the most violent scene is a man being hurled by an unseen force into a meteor hole and then his skin coming out, looks like rubber, no blood and hardly gory, as if it were deflated like a balloon and his eyes completely missing, but you just see the ground through them, before the alien takes over. Now THAT'S the most violent part, toward the beginning.
Kid, 12 years old December 30, 2015

SO FUNNY!

Brilliant choice of Will Smith! Will smith is hilarious in men in black! There is some violence and there are aliens so yeah XD
Adult Written bymbaul November 6, 2015

Amazing, well thought out

This movie really brings the heart and soul into the Men in Black series. Since the series debut in 1997, the story never quite took a personal side within characters. However, in third edition it get's quite personal with agents K and J as to how their relationship establishes and it's importance to the world. Even the relationship between Smith and Bronlin(younger K) seems to be as smooth. I'd say this movie really brings out the deepened heart in the series with the amount of emotion portrayed by each character. I think it's a wonderful way to wrap up the series as to now we understand how Agent J got where he's at and just how close him and k really are.
Teen, 16 years old Written bycbar04 September 6, 2015
super awesome. it's a little scary for little kids but overall a great movie!! :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byOzhowlett August 30, 2015

Well according to this sight I have terrible parents

This film is amazing. Ok yes there is some sceary moments but there is so much humor and some very good points put across. I watched this when I was 5 ish maybe 4 or 6 and I was fine. There is some language but you know what kids don't notice that stuff, The amount of stuff I watch now and I think how did I not notice that language. It is amazing and should be watched by all, ok yes for younger hildren watch it first then make a desicion but you will say yes this is amazing.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLucan1010 July 9, 2015

Excellent Action Comedy Ok for Older Tweens and Up

Violence: Cartooney Sci-Fi violence, lasers, a few stabbing with sharp alien appendages, aliens explode into goo after being shot. Characters in peril. Language: frequent moderate and mild language, b*tch, sh*t, h*ll etc. but no strong language. Sex: Mild Flirting, G level. Drugs: None. The combination of action, laughs and selfless heroic characters makes Men in Black excellent for everyone except young children, waych out for language though.
Kid, 8 years old July 5, 2015

Great sci-fi movie is awesome for teens.

My rating:R for strong sci-fi violence, and pervasive language.