Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Minions

Prequel is fun, with less peril than previous films.

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byelligray July 10, 2015
This is honestly one of the worst movies we've seen as a family. I spent most the movie wanting to leave only to find out that my husband felt exactly the same and my kids said THEY would have happily left as well! The whole focus of the movie was how the minions could get their new evil leader and there was no redeeming quality or element of 'good' at all! And apart from the odd joke it wasn't even funny! I think i heard my kids laugh about three times in total. All the music was aimed at adults (ie. from the 60s, 70s, 80s etc) and i found it really hard to work out what part of it was actually designed for the kids. I'm surprised Commonsense Media say its appropriate for age 5 and up. I would be SO annoyed if i had a 5 yr old and had taken them. It was just too dark for a child that age. Torture chamber, robbers with balaclavas etc aren't really preschool fare my eyes, even when they're masked as supposedly funny. We had no problem with the Despicable Me movies, but this was just rubbish.
Parent Written byngeorgianow July 10, 2015

Minions pack a big punch

There are several images of a scary nature from the very beginning. The mad scientist minion is scary. Then, the minions hitch hike and meet a family of criminals who use pistols and large guns. The kids and minions handle and use the guns. There are several words to introduce to your child like torture and such. At one point a scientist gets his neck broken and dies and he stays in the scene for a while. The violence goes on and on and is more than the cutesy slapstick that I care for. Common Hollywood violence aimed at little kids. Evil abounds here and even sexual undertones in the villain. This movie is a miss for us and will not be part of our movie line up to bring home. The bad guys never go away, the not so bad guys are killed off easily.

Parent of a 1, 1, 3, 6, and 7 year old Written bythetworks July 13, 2015

totally inappropriate

i was so disappointed with this movie! my husband and i kept gasping at each other throughout - we could not believe how inappropriate this movie is for young children. guns, violence, mild swearing, sexual "humor", etc. we took our 7, 6, and 3 year olds and i was horrified and cringing during most parts. this movie is a far cry from the despicable franchise, which i find adorable! do not waste money on seeing this in theaters, and i caution parents with young children.

Parent Written byembeau July 15, 2015

The Common Sense media reviewer is waaaay off on this one.

I dont think using the word KILL is appropriate for a movie geared to the younger set. In one scene a Minion is told that if he doesn't return at the appointed time, Scarlett will kill them. Another scene is just blatant armed robbery. Nothing great about the movie-I was bored to tears as an adult. My girls 8,9 even thought it was over the top violent and not for younger children. Very disappointed. Oh, and WHO is doing the reviewing for common sense on this movie? They are clueless.

Parent of a 1, 3, 6, and 8 year old Written byhightide July 15, 2015

Boo...so disapointing.

Coming to this I was told that all the jokes were for kids, and that keep a sense of humor open since it is just all silly fun. THAT being said...there was quite a bit of humor that was directly targeting body parts. I don't mind a little bare bum every now and again, but the blatant (trying to be funny!) images were offensive and disturbing. I was particularly bothered with the hypnotizing strip tease dancing and the minions dressed up as a woman- with their eyes at very obviously strategic body parts. It was also troubling to see all the nakedness throughout- statues, minons at the beginning dressed with one leaf in front, Scarlett's over sexualization, etc. THAT being said...I felt like I was watching a foreign film..obviously knowing how the minions talked I didn't expect to understand them completely but I had hoped there was more that we could understand from what their dialogue was. The scary villians during the chase scene made my daughter (6 years) so scared we had to leave and did not see the last of the show. Should have walked out earlier. I am disappointed- that humor is stooping so low in this film we are appealing to such a very young audience to be entertained in this way. To be honest my young girls did not catch all the things I did, but I am frustrated. I would be ashamed to have anything to do with the creation of this movie.

Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written byTmroz July 11, 2015

Wait for video

Not even close to the first two movies. We were all disappointed. If you saw the trailer you saw most of the funny parts already. The story is also pieced together and lacking in overall involvement. Spend your money on something else and watch this on video.

Adult Written bychristineo3 July 17, 2015

really. ..? is this what you want your children to watch?

Bad messages througout the whole movie. Promoting being bad as good. Very disturbing to see what kids movies are turning into! I should have left right in the beginning when I wanted to.

Adult Written bySharonD 1 July 11, 2015

Not appropriate messages

I liked the first 2 minion movies, but this one had too many messages of violence, disrespect for authority, do what ever feels good, be a thug, steal take what you want, disrespect for the British and the Queen of England, butt scenes, cross dressers, encouraging children to be evil, parents who teach their children to be evil and when the evil woman fails she's no longer popular. After the beginning of this movie after the funny scenes and the evil messages start the theatre got quiet and no more laughing. I heard several people say that they were disappointed. I didn't teach my children to be any of the messages in this movie. I didn't appreciate the evil woman congratulating the minions for attacking the police. Total waste of money!

Parent Written bymomboys July 12, 2015

Wait for DVD

My sons aged 7 and 10 enjoyed the movie. I loved the first two Despicable Me movies but was disappointed with this one. I didn't like the humor and agree with comments regarding the blatant disregard for human life with some violent scenes. The whole premise of the movie is the minions are searching for the ideal evil person for whom they will work. There is a scene where Minions hitchhike to an Evil-Con convention. A seemingly normal family picks them up but soon the family pulls out guns and commits a robbery with their kids. Police try to catch them but one of the minions blows up the police cars. And this is, naturally, applauded by the "normal" family. I can see how it can send mixed messages to young kids. Sandra Bullock's character, Scarlett, is highly sexualized as well. Spend your money on Inside Out instead.
Adult Written byTheAnimatorOfficial July 12, 2015

Rating actually means not for anyone OVER 4!

Never before have I seen such a desperate, needless cash grab than Minions. Despicable Me was memorable for its unique humor, Gru, and the Minions being SIDE CHARACTERS. When the Minions had a bigger role in Despicable Me 2, the film suffered. And now we have Minions, an obvious cash in on our yellow twinkies from you-know-where. The plot is 100% predictable and generic. You can guess every plot point from the beginning. Every character is either an idiot or annoying. Aside from a few antics from the minions, the humor is tasteless and laden of bad pop culture references and poop jokes. The animation is nothing special and can look awkward at times. You can get a better experience by staring at a minion doll for 90 minutes than watching this film. Saying "it's just a kids film" is NO LONGER an excuse! The standard of kids movies has raised to where they need to have substance. It doesn't have to be as dark and complex as Inside Out, but it still has to have a positive impact on kids. Minions just makes them dumber, as well as bleeds parents' wallets dry. And as long as you guys keep paying to see garbage like this, companies will continue making garbage like this for your kids. So whatever you do, DO NOT PAY TO SEE THIS FILM!!!!

Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byJenniferA 5 July 12, 2015

Boring and too violent

Went with my 8 year old son. We didn't walk out, but were close to it. Flat plot line, Scarlet Overkill is too sadistic and mean and the Minions don't get much chance to shine, which is odd. Not worth the price of a theater ticket.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byjenniferd4 July 11, 2015

This movie is terrible

Even though my children aren't young, our whole family has always loved the Despicable Me movies , especially the minions. This movie is very disappointing. It's very slow to start and never really gets very interesting. The last minute when Gru is introduced was the best part about it. I wouldn't waste my time or money on this unless your children are five or under. I heard lots of little kids laughing.
Adult Written byBlackWidow97 July 11, 2015

Disappointing Sequel takes the content too far at times

As a fan of the Despicable Me Franchise, i was looking forward to Minions. If you have seen the trailers, they spoil the whole movie except for a few scenes with a young Gru (which everyone expected anyway). The film shows a few "bosses" killed as well as a darkly lit torture scene. There are many weapons and the villain Scarlet Overkill takes a frightening turn toward the end. What surprised me the most is this movie's fascination with skin (clearly based on an advancement in their animation technology). Guards strip down in a very awkward dance scene and slap each other on the butt. A minion wheres a thong and gets in a hot tub. There is a lot of bouncy skin and fat. There is also a sumo character whose bare butt can be seen many times in the background and occasionally in the foreground (but not too in your face). There is also a urination joke as a giant minion uses a fountain to put out a fire. If you have seen the trailers, you have seen almost all of the plot points of this film and all of the good jokes. It feels like they made the trailer and then stretched it into a full length film. The Minions are cute but they do get annoying in such a large dose. I love Despicable Me and i can not help but feel disappointed by this film.

Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byILoveMyWife July 11, 2015

More than expected! Gradeschoolers+

The only cuss words I heard that my kids shouldn't be saying (excluding insults/put-downs) were "pissed" and "screwed." Also less peril than before.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byanna320 August 3, 2015

Vile Filth

Do NOT expose yourself, your children, your mother or father, or even the family pet to this evil and horrendously confused idea of children's entertainment. It is an embarrassment that such a movie would even be created, much less marketed to young children! It portrays evil as good, sexy, desirable, satisfying, funny, respectable and super-villian status as a mark of achievement and success. As I am sure most parents know, children are extrodinarily impressionable, and once a thought or idea is planted, it becomes very difficult to uproot. In this case, it is particularly worrisome, given the popularity and extraordinary marketing of these minion characters. I was VERY disappointed with this movie, as was my husband. I had high hopes, as I found the minions in the original Despicable Me movie endearing, and not actually "evil," just cute and fumbling, albeit mindlessly loyal. We took our 6 year old daughter, and our 8 year old neighbor to see the movie. In the beginning of the movie, it is explained that minions have existed since the beginning of life on earth and are a result of evolution. (Oh boy... but, ok, whatever... )Then, still very early on in the movie, the narrator explains that the minions are only happy and have meaning in life when they are serving the greatest evil master they can find in existence, (what?! Like who?! Hitler? Satan?). A T-Rex then becomes their master but is killed, accidentally by the minions, by falling into the opening of a lava filled volcano. (I whisper to my husband, that was a little graphic, he agrees). The movie carries on advocating evil, including a scene in which an entire, seemingly normal, family, complete with young children, puts on masks, pulls out guns, robs a bank, destroys property, engages in a high speed chase with police, shoots paint at the police car windows, and then, the minions seem to accidentally shoot a grenade launcher or something with causes the police to crash (It seems anyway, and I was given the impression, because of the nature of the crash and not seeing the police afterwards, that they were killed!) The 8 year old turns to me, after this scene, with a big grin and a sort of laugh and says, "they just got a lot if money!" He seemed excited but also surprised. I was NOT happy. And, it was sometime during this scene that my husband suggested maybe we walk out. I didn't want to. I thought how disappointed the kids would be, that it would be a waste of money, that perhaps the 8 year old's mother would be angry with me for getting him excited to go to the mivies then walking out. (She would not likely understand my decision to walk out, and doesnt seem to be the sort of person who would deem this movie inappropriate for children, considering she has let one of her young boys watch the Walking Dead) And, even though I knew it was rotten, and rather realistic for the children, but there had to be SOME redeemable quality before the end, right? Some turn around that sends a positive message and shows that evil is not good, and that evil really IS wrong. After all, it's a kid movie, so won't it? NOPE. The movie follows theminions to 'Villain-Con', a convention literally celebrating the most wicked human beings on Earth, and where the minions hope to find their most evil master. The highlight of the convention is a super-villian named Scarlett Overkill, who is not only extraordinarily evil, but also openly portrayed as seductive, and lusted after by an auditorium full of evil men. It is at this point that my husband and I are discussing our exit strategy. The absolute nail in the coffin was the meeting between Scarlett Overkill and her husband, which was downright sexualized. Maybe I'm of a very reserved constitution, but that sort of behavior is deplorable in front of young children. I wouldn't allow a living couple to talk and act like that in front of my child! Why would I pay money for a cartoon character to do so? I didnt have to say anything, however, my husband said, "Ive had enough." And we walked out. This is the ONLY time I have EVER walked out on a movie and I am happy to say that we did, and I am sorry that the rest of the audience stayed. Some with children younger than mine. How can you expect anything good to come out of amass marketing scheme that popularizes characters for children that only desire to serve the most evil master they can find? A movie which glorifies and exalts evil as the highest goal of man? There are so many GOOD movies out there, even benign movies, why fill your mind, or your child's mind with this rubbish? At least in the first Despicable Me movie, the main character was turned around from self glorifying to self sacrificing, and the minions and the jokes were actually funny. This movie wasn't even funny, and I wanted to like it! The minion movie is a result of greed, fervent advertising, exploitation of children's receptivity to fads and pop culture, and a society that has absolutely demonized traditional objective values. I am embarrassed that our country is in such a state that the creators of this movie thought it would be well received! If something similar had been produced and marketed to children when my mother was young, there would be so much outright disgust among the population as a whole that the movie would have been pulled in under a week. This is a disappointing moment for the arts in America, the be sure!

Parent of a 3, 8, 13, and 16 year old Written byProudSoccerMom July 17, 2015

Cute and fun for the whole family!

My family enjoyed it! We had so much fun and laughs while watching this movie! This movie was a fun ride! Although I had to cover my young ones eyes because there was some hidden sexual content! There was also some very edgy cartoon violence here, I couldn't believe my eyes, I had to cover my young ones eyes whenever this evil stuff happened! Other then that the movie was fine! Now I can't stop posting pictures of my kids with Minions on my Facebook! So cute!!

Parent of a 5 year old Written byashesashie July 15, 2015

Not for young children!

I absolutely disagree with the age rating on this movie. As mentioned by other reviewers, there is excessive violence for a movie targeted at young children. The scenes with the torture chamber (I don't want to have to explain to my 5 year old what torture is!) and the scene with a family armed with guns who rob a bank and then cause the police to crash (and burst in flames) stick out at me. I was so mad that all of that was wrapped in the guise of happy, cute minion movie!

Adult Written byJessicaH 4 July 12, 2015

Fun time with the kids

Yes, there is cartoon violence & mildly suggestive humor, but nothing that bothered me at all. My children are 13 & 8 and they giggled through the entire thing. Nothing scary about this movie, just cutesy. We will definitely add it to our home movie collection when available.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written bybritaniem July 10, 2015

5 year old thought it was funny

My 5 year old was cracking up through the whole movie. I was not as impressed. There were a few funny parts but mostly I was just bored. My 2 (almost 3) year old was not interested either. In fact at the end of the movie she said "Yay! It's over! We can leave now!" I think she was just too young to get the jokes. But like I said, the five year old seemed to enjoy it and there was nothing in it that I was uncomfortable with him seeing (although be warned there are a few shots of minion butts).
Adult Written byzeekattacklee July 15, 2015

Minions are still funny..

Went to see this film with my mother and she thought this was cute. I on the other hand found many of the moments funny.. regardless of the animated comedy violence and its crude humor, I do not see anything wrong with this as a great family movie. Otherwise, I really wouldn't want to worry about this film at all..