All member reviews for Mirror Mirror

Visually appealing fairy tale lacks oomph but fine for kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymrbookworm01 March 30, 2012

Good movie, but a few scary scenes

I went to see this movie for our school's AR field trip and it was really good. It has some potentially scary scenes, mainly towards the end, but nothing too bad for young kids. Plus, Snow White is a great role model, as she's nice, brave, and selflessly helps others. OK for kids 8+. Violence: Some small battles, including a scene towards the end where Snow White and the prince take on the queen's dragon, but nobody gets hurt. One scene shows evil marionettes trying to destroy Snow White and the dwarfs, but nobody is hurt. The dragon could be very frightening to younger kids. At the end, the queen tries to give Snow White a poisoned apple, but she doesn't eat it. Sex: Some sexual jokes that will probably go over kids' heads. One dwarf falls for Snow White and lightly flirts with her. The prince is shown shirtless twice, but nothing too graphic. The prince and Snow White kiss in some scenes. Drinking: Adult drinking at parties, but no excessive drinking.
Parent of a 8 and 8 year old Written bymom2twins March 30, 2012

Upon reflection, it was pretty good

I've seen some of the mixed reviews of this movie, but I have to say that I and my 8-year-old daughters enjoyed this film. I'm always sensitive to the messages that a movie sends to girls, and I'm pleased that "Mirror Mirror" has a strong heroine, one who rises above adversity to become a wise leader. (The fact that she can hold her own in a sword fight is a plus.) I also was happy to see that there was a diverse cast (e.g. among the villagers and even with the "dwarves.") And while it may not be for all adults, the broad humor did elicit a fair amount of chuckles from the grown-ups with us in the theater.
Teen, 14 years old Written byluv2shop2112 March 30, 2012

Classic Fairytale for the whole family!

This is a wonderful movie. A classic fairy tale but with a twist. This movie takes place from the queen's point of view :) It is a wonderful movie for the whole family to see. Snow White is a really good role model, showing how stealing is bad and how to give to the poor. Great Movie!
Parent Written byjrn June 13, 2012

Great movie

Great movie. Funny and it appeals to kids, teens and adults.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRobbyboyfye16 March 30, 2012

k

boring stupid slapstick humor sucks with unfunny humar and Juli Roberts charecter gets annoying, boring MOVIE
Parent Written byWish1774 April 29, 2012

A Mothers Review

Okay,so I just say this movie with my 7 year old daughter. We were watching the movie, which wasent half bad. There was some drinking, and at one point the prince slapped Snow Whites butt. My daughter didnt say anything, but it kind of grossed me out. I would say it is a good movie for kids. But watch out for some scenes. Not a movie for kids that are imature. Hope this helped :)
Kid, 12 years old June 26, 2012

Maybe scary for 7 & under but you have to know your child.

I think that "Mirror Mirror" was a good movie, it could be a little violent when Snow White fights the beast and when the giant puppets attack the dwarf house. Unlike other reviews i thought that it was funny when the queen got her beauty treatment! It may also be scary when the queen goes into the mirror because it is very dark. When Snow White gets spanked it could be a little awkward. It is very good because no matter what most people try to help Snow White. This was a good twist on a great fairy tale!
Kid, 12 years old April 9, 2012

Wonderful Movie a mix of Rovin Hood and Once Upon A Time

This is a great movie! It has is all! Colorful and CREATIVE WITH MANY POSITIVE MESSAGES. Snow White is a brave, intelligent herione which teaches young girls to do the right thing. Also the movie states that vanity isn't everything and shouldn't be. There is minimal violence just a handful of swordfights showing no blood. This movie could've been better but it is still great! Ther is some sexy stuff when the Queen puts a love potion on the prince, but it'll go right over kids' heads.
Kid, 10 years old April 6, 2012

Wow

Some violence I would watch out! Some sexy scenes like when the prince slaps snow's bottom is v.ery inappropriate
Educator and Parent Written byemily_markus April 24, 2015

Directly undermines the idea of consent.

I just watched this movie with my ten-year-old daughter. We hated the prince enough to hate the movie. Although the costumes were truly gorgeous, and so was the scenery, we were pretty horrified by the absolute overt sexual objectification of Snow White. It's not just a spank during a sword fight; it's multiple spankings with a sword, first by a dwarf and then by the prince, who also teases her about being spanked, afterwards. He also pulls her in close, multiple times, as if her body is to treat however he pleases, and somehow that should make her happy. Then near the end, she kisses him as he begs her not to (yes consent from men is necessary, too). There is a scene near the beginning where she refuses to free the prince and his escort from their bonds unless they say please... then at the end, after various trite supposed subversions of classic sexist fairytale elements (she goes to fight the dragon herself, she saves the prince from a spell instead of the other way around, etc.), the two are married by the king, and the king still tells the prince "you may kiss the bride". What does the prince ask? He looks at Snow White and asks "do I have to say please?" and without even waiting for her answer, he kisses her. I'm sorry, but all the form and gender twists in this story can't make up for the underlying sexual objectification that Snow White not only encounters but submits to during the entire film. It was embarrassing. Have we really come to this? This isn't equality; this is humiliation. As for age, I would say it's fine to watch if you're prepared to discuss the massive consent issues. My 10-year-old is quite well-versed in consent, and was joking that the prince should die or remain a puppy. She too was quite insulted by the film.
Parent Written byJustjillin November 27, 2012

Mirror Mirror A Good Time For The Whole Family

I loved this movie so much I did a video review of it over at amazon. While it doesn't get rave reviews from the most of the professional reviewers I thought that the move was one of the best I've seen lately.
Parent Written byConcernedParentABC September 24, 2012

Terrific movie! Enjoyable for everyone in the family.

Terrific movie! Watched with wife and tweens for family movie night which is every Saturday at home. Script is fun, witty, and current. Julia Roberts is at her best. It's such a treat to find a really good fun comedy that's clean and enjoyable for everyone in the family.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bySoftball mom August 16, 2012

Wow, this movie was so good! Snow White was perfectly cast. Lily Collins was charming and the story was exciting and funny with very cool special effects.

Very good movie!
Kid, 11 years old August 13, 2012

cute film

I love this film! It's great that snow white gets to be the fighter for once! Snow white is really pretty! ^.^
Parent Written byAmandamae333 August 9, 2012

Not for young ones

I liked it a lot but my kids were engrossed in the kissing and terrified when the queen got her "treatment" which included visuals of bugs crawling all over her body.
Parent Written byCoolstyln April 22, 2012

FABULOUSITY !

Gorgeous funny clever I LOVED IT !
Teen, 13 years old Written byhowrselover April 9, 2012

mostly good

My grandmother and I enjoyed it very much, although it annoyed me when the prince spanks Snow White. Other than that, it was great!
Kid, 11 years old January 11, 2015

same old fairytale with a twink of difference

i cant believe you would agree with this movie being ok for 8 and 9 year olds. perfect acting and ageless fairytale, romance to watch out for and inpropriate scenes (no nudity)
Kid, 12 years old September 29, 2014

Pretty good

It's fun and happy and not especially dark as some Snow White films are. Some scenes have mildly scary elements such as 'black magic', and a monster. Fun, cute, and a little naughty.
Educator and Parent Written byMoose_kristi May 8, 2014

Brilliant costumes, funny one-liners, and no swearing!

Finally, a movie I'm not embarrassed to watch in front of my in-laws and kids at the same time. There were a few awkward scenes (when the prince was bare-chested in front of the Queen) but overall, this is a fun, witty, and visually beautiful movie. Good story line for my tween daughter.