All member reviews for Misery

Teen, 16 years old Written byBKrootz March 21, 2011

Loved it. Very intense and creepy. It does use some language (said and visual), and there is a very painful-looking violent scene. The title of the movie describes it... it is merserable to watch. But that is what makes it so good. recommend entirely.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJustino4 September 28, 2011

Miserable Misery?

The violence is a little intense and it is obvious why they rated the movie R. There are (overall) 5 to 10 f bombs including the f words written as a joke when Paul was bored. Drug content stands out too, because Paul is being drugged the whole movie by Annie. There is minor sexual content between Buster and his wife, but it is definately not anything more than a moderate level. This movie's good and it's my favorite out of the Stephen King movies.
Kid, 12 years old June 30, 2010

AWESOMENESS!!!

I absolutely LOVE this movie!!!! The actin was great, the story was great, everything was awesome!! The movie was very suspenseful and frightening. There was blood but it was not randomly placed and used excessively, it was just used for realisticism. I would highly recomend this to everybody!! It definitely made it onto my favorite list.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIrateyourmovies October 2, 2009

it might be named Misery but that doesn't mean u shouldn't watch it!

This movie, I actually liked. If you watch this I would make sure you have a blanket! Ha! Anyway the suspense is awesome. And the actor and actress that play in this movie are incredible. I have to warn you that there is some turture,(to keep the guy there to re-write a book). There is one scene were the Wacky lady figures out that he went out of his room, and, well she broke his feet! The lady is a real wack job. (in case you haven't noticed)lol
Teen, 16 years old Written bylizzie3276 January 9, 2011

Not for anyone under 13...

It's a great movie, but disturbing because their really are people out there like Annie Wilkes. (Spoiler alert!) The main character is tortured repeatedly. An enraged sociopathic woman drugs a man repeatedly, hammers his ankles to break them, shoots him and shoots and kills another man. A man reads in newspapers that she killed various people--including many newborn babies. The main character plans to kill the woman by poison, then with a knife. She finally is killed (her death is very bloody and gory) by being hit in the head with a typewriter, a paperweight pig and other objects. Before, she had planned to kill the man and herself. The main reason this movie is so horrifying is because the villain is not a monster or a creature, but a human being, and you can often see her different emotions come out.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPea789 April 16, 2011

This movie was fine for anyone who doesn't have a weak stomach. There is one scene where the main charactor breaks another's feet. Nothing visual, but it is still gross.
Kid, 10 years old March 28, 2010

PG-13 is around for a reason

well in the beginning there is a cigarette smoked. at the end there is a scene of violence. there is 1 bad hand gesture,and one use of f- --!(by the way the person said that cause his foot was hammered and i would to i think,well if i was allowed to...)
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn October 16, 2011

Kathy Bates performance is fantastic, but could have potential for scarring and nightmares with children

I have actually read the Stephen King novel "Misery", which the classic movie of the same name was based on, and let me tell you, it follows it well, and I mean, well. It keeps all of the suspense of the novel, and than extends the creepiness to a much higher level with Kathy bates absolutely incredible and very, very creepy academy-award winning portrayal of the ultra-obsessed number one fan, Annie Wilkes. Really, there isn't a single doubt in my about her winning that Oscar for her performance in the movie. It really is the stuff of great actors, and only great actors alone could be able to achieve this level of tension and uncomfortableness at such a immediate level. But, as great as this movie is, it it certainly not for tween's or even some older teens, and make no mistake , this is a very solidly R Rated movie, because of such intense situations alone, but also because Kathy Bates performance is so disturbing and that there is so much strong violence at the end of the movie with her and James Caan virtually bashing each others heads in. Also, there is very infrequent but strong profanity with 1 spoken f-Word and 7 other F-words typed out on a piece of paper on a type writer. Well, that's all I have to say about this classic, expect for one last little thing: See it if you honestly haven't already done so yet!
Teen, 16 years old Written byhansolo95 October 8, 2011

An excellent suspense film, but not for preteens!

I just saw this movie yesterday, and it amazed me. Kathy Bates' acting is supreme in this film. Not to say that James Caan deserves any less credit for his role as the clever but terrified victim, but Bates' performance is what really got me. She will not terrify you outright, not until the director wants her to. Instead, she slowly makes you more and more uncomfortable, until you truly wish she would go ahead and go psycho just so you won't be held in suspense any longer! Anyway, this is supposed to be about content, not raving, so let's get started. VIOLENCE: Whether you have seen Saw or not, this movie will make you cringe in at least one scene. It starts off with a horrible car accident, breaking both of Paul Sheldon's (James Caan) legs, which are later shown puffed up and purple after the kindly nurse Annie Wilkes (Kathy Bates) has splinted them. As Annie slowly goes insane, she becomes increasingly more violent to Paul, leading up to an incredibly cringe-inducing scene where Annie breaks both of his legs with a sledgehammer, as Liberace quietly plays the Moonlight Sonata in the background. Near the end of the movie an old man is shot through the belly with a shotgun, quite explicitly, and there is a bloody battle between Paul and Annie. No, I will not tell you who wins, that would be cheating :) SEXUAL CONTENT: Nothing that I can remember seeing. If you watch the movie and see something offensive in this category, then it slipped my notice, and I apologise. LANGUAGE: A few uses of the "F" and "S" word, and strange euphimisms from Annie. Paul also flips Annie the bird once, to which she replies "Such a kidder", with a dismissive wave of her hand. Once Paul realizes what Annie is, he goes to the typewriter Annie has bought for him, and types f***, several times. That about sums it up. If you're a fan of Stephen King, or even movies like Psycho, you should get plenty of enjoyment out of this one, but I would not recommend it for kids under 14. I apologise if this review ran a little (or a lot) long, but this is a very good movie, and I wanted to give you my full opinion.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMusicReview101 November 7, 2009

Good but scary, negative movie for tweens and under

Kathy Bates portrayal is great in this film but the many things to note Car crash scene, man legs are shattered Bates knocks his legs voilently Main charachters trying to kill eachother Drugging to control charachters Pyschological horror; very intense scenes
Teen, 14 years old Written byMindfreak13 August 9, 2010

This is a great movie! I watched it 3 times. I could see it over and over again. One gross part. And the violence is not bad.
Kid, 11 years old January 9, 2010

at the end there is a little violence,the main charecter writes the f word and makes a finger gesture,at the beginig there is smoking
Teen, 13 years old Written byPainter567 March 24, 2010

Great Suspense for Teens

I am not a fan of scary movies, but I loved this movie! There are some cringe worthy scenes, but nothing that would seriously disturb anyone 13+. The actors and actresses were great, and overall the movie isn't something to be worried about having nightmares .
Kid, 12 years old January 23, 2010

Sooo Creeepy!!

This was the first horror movie I have ever seen and really it is a great choice, because it is mind-numbingly FREAKY for kids my age (11-12-13) but not tooooo graphic, but relaly creepy! Kathy Bates is amazing, she plays her character SO well, you'd actually BELIEVE that shes a psycho! I reccomend this for kids 11+ who can handle a few f-words, suspense, a bit of violence and a really freaky movie! Great fun!
Teen, 14 years old Written bycheese-process November 1, 2010

It's a great, suspenseful movie!

This movie was creepy, suspenseful, and awesome. It followed the book pretty well, too. It did have some language--one f-word out loud, one written on paper, and a bad finger gesture with a few milder words, and the climax was pretty violent. It wasn't really as scary as the book, though. Overall, it was a good movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymovieloverman1234 September 11, 2009

Good movie, But can be violent

I love Stephen King. I love his books and his movies. I mean it is violent and there is some language but its not that harsh. Its an awsome movie thats for sure worth it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byErik R August 8, 2009

A Tense Thriller...Okay for teens.

Yes, there are some tense scenes in this movie, but don't let common sense media's 17 rating misguide you. There is no innapropriate sexual themes and little profanity. It's a very suspencefull movie that I would reccomend a parent watch with a teen.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRAhrlett1 June 9, 2009

I liked the movie but the part i didnt like was wen she broke his feet.
Teen, 14 years old Written byChambear June 29, 2009

The best movie of it's kind since Psycho

This movie is so much of the Hitchcock thinking it brings the audience back to the horror/thriller Psycho. It is more intense in some ways than Psycho but is less scary. The film does use the middle finger once and the f-word once, as well as the f-word being written 7 times on a sheet of paper, and does contain a few mildly bloody scenes and a few intense situations. Other than a few things this movie checks out for the mature 13 year old and is a true masterpiece of it's kind!
Teen, 15 years old Written byashgr812 April 9, 2008

Terrific!

This movie is absoulutly amazing! I just finished watching it. It was gross at the end during the fight/death seene. This movie makes me want to go read the book. This is now one of my favorite films. Parents do need to know that there is lots of violence and some cursing.