Earnest, illuminating documentary about women and the media.

Adult Written bylsdgls March 15, 2012

Watch it first!

The movie was good in that it teaches girls that they are more than the sum of their body parts. If you are pro-life and/or conservative, this movie really demonizes you, then tries to make up for it by having Condie Rice interviewed. Also, it makes getting women into positions of power much more important than being mothers and having a family. Aren't both important? For me, the biggest problem is the complete absence of personal responsibility. It shows Jessica Simpson and other celebrities in sexually hyped roles, then blames capitalism! These ladies made the decision to act in these commercials and roles, yet no responsibility is laid on them. Very sad.
Parent Written byHonolulee March 12, 2012

A Must See

It's not for young children, but especially for pre-teen and teen aged girls and boys, I think it's very powerful. In addition to making them aware of how the media distorts images and expectations or female beauty and socialization, it questions the celebrity culture that seems to dominate right now.
Adult Written bysuper mello December 6, 2012

EVERYONE should see this film.

This is the best film I have ever seen. It's an incredibly moving experience, even watching it for the third time. I cry multiple times every time I watch it, and it really sticks with me for a long time after watching it. But most importantly, it gets me feeling like I need to get out and change the world. After watching Miss Representation, I understood so much more about the world I live in. As a young female in America, gender plays a huge role in my life. Realizing how gender portrayal in the media affects me gave me the power to take a stand, and take baby steps toward making a difference. I think that every teenage girl needs to see it, so that we can understand our worlds, and so that we feel empowered to not put up with sexism. But it's also really crucial that guys see it too, because guys are just as affected by patriarchy in the media, but probably don't even realize it. Yes, it's a shocking documentary, but the shocking thing about it isn't what's being shown (except for the few seconds of plastic surgery. I closed my eyes.). It's that I'm not surprised by anything that the film shows. Most of it is stuff that we all see every day, but we're so used to it that we don't even think about it. It doesn't occur to us how terribly wrong so much of this stuff is. So, if you haven't seen it yet, grab someone who you can talk to and who can give you a hug, and WATCH IT. Your life literally depends on it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byShiShiGlo May 31, 2015

Extremely Relevant

I watched this documentary with my mother. I'm usually not interested in these types of movies, but she insisted and I'm glad she did. It pinpoints the problems in our culture surrounding men and women alike and is extremely relatable. Women and girls should watch this to see how they are being influenced and how to fight against it. Men and boys should watch this to see if they are part of the problem or if they are being harmed by it too. It's especially important for the younger generation to watch this because the gender messages in our society start so young. There is some sexually explicit imagery but only in the context of showing advertising that you or your child have probably seen anyway. If you want to make sure your daughter or female friends don't end up shying away from what they want in life because of what society tells them, show them this video. This movie honestly changed my entire outlook on life.
Parent Written byenjoylife August 28, 2013

Don't let your children watch this!

The movie is to be about powering girls and women, it is not. In this film there is a lot of pictures of women as sex objects and brutalized. This film gives no hope to a young generation of women. The media is a big bad male monster. I would never let me sons or daughters see this film.
Educator and Parent of a 14 year old Written byHealthTeacherInCali February 19, 2013

Teacher's Take

The message is fantastic, and the movie catches the kids attention, but I feel as though the F-word could have been easily edited out as it didn't seem necessary for the message at all. I definitely feel it is only appropriate for high school aged children due to the sexualized imagery, even though it's what kids see in Carl's Junior commercials, they don't necessarily need to see it in their middle school classroom. I won't be surprised if I get phone calls from parents about the images and language, nevertheless I feel as though the message is strong enough to march through the negative talking points.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 11, 2012

miss representation

Families can talk about how the media shapes our views of women. What messages do you see on TV, in movies, and on the web? How do you think the media's many images of scantily clad women affect the way that young women learn to view themselves? How do you think the ways women are presented in the media has changed in the past several decades?
Kid, 12 years old August 28, 2016

Miss Representation is educational and changes the way you view things.

I watched this while browsing netflix as an 11 year old seeing a post recommending it on an Instagram account I follow. It is very well made and is interesting and educational to watch. It changes your view on the media and is over all a must watch.
Parent Written bymegastarmedia December 16, 2011

Not so FAST for little kids!

I feel this movie could help teenagers, but would be HIGHLY inappropriate for children under the age of 13. On their site they offer corresponding curriculum for k -12. I would NEVER show this movie to a 5 year old boy or girl.
Educator Written byHSTeacher27 December 15, 2014

Teacher Approved

As a high school teacher, I highly recommend this film as a start to a discussion about women and media in our society. I often see my female students struggle with the pressures of being a part of an over-sexualized community, both in their peer groups and as the America social norm. I feel that it is appropriate for high school aged children. This is a very important film that should be discussed with both girls and boys. The only way to create change in our society regarding the over-sexualization of our girls is to address the problem at hand with a clear and open conversation, rather than shy away from the facts.
Parent Written byConcernd parent November 30, 2012

Don't want a school showing this to my kid

I don't know why schools are showing this stuff. They say they want to present positive images of women and then show photo after photo and clip after clip of scantily clad women--many of which aren't appropriate for children? Seems like an odd way to get the message across. Wouldn't want my kid to see this in school without my watching it first. Why are schools focusing on this crap when graduates can't read?