All member reviews for Modern Times

Families will cherish Chaplin's silent slapstick.

Teen, 13 years old Written byD_anIe-l October 22, 2009

perfect for anyone

Chaplin was a poet heart,hes movies always will be inspiration for several
Teen, 14 years old Written byJohanjwalker April 9, 2008

This is wonderful and hilarious! Charlie Chaplin, 1, Jim Carrey, 0!

I love this film. One of the greates and funniest and most kid-friendly movies of all time. There's just on problem- getting your kid to watch it because this movie is in black and whit which is frowned upon in modern-day american kids usually. But once they start watching it, they will never stop laughing. Forget Jim Carrey and Tim Allen and all those clowns. Go for Charlie Chaplin and The Marx Brothers and all those guys. They are hilarious. Nothing offensive here at all, just a scene of thwarted prison break, and some gun shooting, oh yes and there's this one time where Charlie accidentally and without knowing it ingests some cocaine, or nose powder. But its wonderful. Force your kids to watch it, if needed. It is hilarious and wonderful entertainment.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byCowDung August 18, 2011

Good movie for everyone

My kids saw this movie 'accidentally'. It came on as I was flipping through channels. I was thinking that my kids (ages 6 and 8) wouldn't even give it a chance but they were 'sucked in' almost immediately by Chaplin's antics and insisted that I not change the channel. From their laughs, I think the kids enjoyed it as much as any of their 'modern' favorites.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Chaplin always has a good heart and it shows through in his movies.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 August 25, 2014

This may indeed be Chaplin's best

Parents need to know that there's nothing wrong content-wise, a man dies, but it's not scary or intense at all: but there are a lot of brilliant themes, jabs and pokes at dehumanization, and the overtake of machines that's still very much relevant in today's times. Chaplin's comedic genius has rarely shined through brighter than in this semi-talkie, and with the help of his real-life love Paulette Goddard, looking gorgeous has a bohemian gamin and a great foil for the Tramp's mishaps, there is hilarity on every scene, and we should all feel privileged to witness it!
Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviebuff6996 November 16, 2013

Charming, smartly written and funny; Modern Times the movie shows us (as the audience) that not all great stories have to be spoken

The Positives are the lead performance (Charlie Chaplin gives an earnest, sincere and ultimately funny performance that transcended the comedy genre and still holds up today), the romance (Believable, nicely done and earnest in approach and ultimately well done), the storyline (It’s unique and believe it or not, original and rather unpredictable. I liked how there was little to no dialogue and yet the story was all visual and played out well), the music (it fit the movie perfectly and gave true emotions), the comedy (the movie is funny and holds up rather well. It may not be everybody’s taste, but it should be and is respected) and finally the climax (Hopeful, sincere and down to earth; the ending gives a poignant outlook at life). The Negative is the slow pace (For many people that will make it unwatchable as well as the fact that it’s a silent film). Still I really liked it and would highly recommend this film. For parents- Most kids won't be interested in silent films, but nonetheless it's a clean film besides the little bit of smoking in the movie.
Parent Written byBigelmer October 13, 2013

The best "first silent film" for kids to watch.

This movie is ranked by the American Film Institute as the #78th best movie of all time. It was made 9 years after talking movies came out - it is Chaplin's last silent movie. In this movie, Chaplin acts, directs, produces, and wrote the screenplay. He even wrote the music. Don't dismiss this movie just because it is silent - the visual gags are absolutely hilarious. Also, since it is silent, you can talk about the movie as it unfolds and this will not distract anyone. If you don't think your kids will watch it, just turn on the movie and casually watch it in your living room while the kids are in the general vicinity -- they will be watching it in no time. The scene where Chaplin is placed in a feeding machine is so funny, that my kids made me rewind it twice while we watched the movie. We watched this when my kids were in 5th grade and one of my kids voted it as their favorite movie of that year. I think it is probably the best "first silent film" for anyone to watch.
Kid, 11 years old October 2, 2012