All member reviews for Monsters, Inc.

Cute, kid-friendly monster movie; may scare sensitive kids.

Kid, 11 years old May 19, 2011

Very violent

I do not like the monsters roaring or the machine that catches kids screams. My little brother watched it with me once and he was afraid of the crushing machine and the monsters roaring, in one part, Mike Wizowski goes on a date for a monsters birthday but it is not sexy. It is kind of disturbing and loud when the little girl screams and cries. But this movie tells kids that there is no need to be afraid if monsters coming out of your closet and scaring you, I like this movie but parents, please read the review up top about Monsters Inc before letting your kids watch that because it is a very violent movie. But still very funny and awesome, the end is my favorite part.
Parent Written bySinfoniarc August 5, 2010

For The Monster In Your Closet

I can't think of a better way to help a child get over their "monster in the closet" phase. The movie depicts monsters as having very human-like traits--basically just like you and me except they look different. Monsters, Inc. is a great movie for teaching the value of friendship, hard work, and doing the right thing even though it hurts. You could make Billy Crystal a serial killer in a movie and he'd still be Billy Crystal. This movie is no exception. His zany antics will leave even young kids howling in laughter. John Goodman's "papa bear" persona brings feelings of safety and security to the table as well. The friendship/camaraderie amongst them is very powerful and I think that's a good value that kids need to learn. Sully (Goodman) spend the whole movie trying to do the right thing and correct Randall's (Steve Buscemi) mistake. Randall, the bad guy, demonstrates that greed and vanity are bad, as he's constantly trying to be a more productive worker than Sully. Both monsters demonstrate a great work ethic (or in Randall's case a great desire to have a good work ethic), which is important for children to learn as well. Having said all of that, parts of this movie will scare most young children...especially the first two minutes of the movie. Randall and his accomplice (Mr. Waternoose, voiced by the late, great James Coburn) are scary at times, but both demonstrate well the power of greed. The end of the movie offers that there are alternate and more ethical ways of making a living. It also demonstrates that doing the right thing is important, whether letting go of someone you love, or refusing to cheat in order to make it to the top. All in all it's a phenomenal film. Disney really upped the ante on the upscaling of this one. The 1080p video of the Blu-Ray is stunning as is it's lossless HD-DTS soundtrack.
Kid, 10 years old May 7, 2010

Easily Laughable

I'm 10 and I still watch Monsters inc.! It's shuch a fun movie to see. I love Sully and Boo. But I thin kit is good for 6+ because older kids might not get as good of a laugh unlike little children. No bad stuff whatsoever. Great for the whole family!
Teen, 15 years old Written byskeletonslife441 June 27, 2013

Watch Monsters University instead. (The sequel of Monsters, Inc.)

Watch it instead even though this film is great, WATCH IT INSTEAD! But first, try clicking "Helped Me Decide".
Parent of a 3 year old Written byamfsf June 2, 2010

Fun movie, lots of questions from kids

My 3 year old was not scared, but lots of "whys" and "hows". Since EVERYTHING is make-believe (monsters, capturing screams, monster city, free standing doors that open into a kids room etc.), he had a hard time understanding some of the plot.
Written byAnonymous July 13, 2013

Monsters inc.

4.7/5 9.4/10 This movie has a very strong meaning. It is an amazing film and among the pixar classics. The film is beautiful and you love Boo from the minute she is in it. Not scary some very young children might find Randall a bit scary. The ending really tugs at your heart and it is very emotional.
Adult Written bymommy2a_k December 1, 2009

Overall, a very cute movie!

My daughter wasn't scared of the monsters at all, but I could see where a younger or more "sensitive" child might be. As an adult, I really enjoy this movie. However, we don't allow name-calling in our house, and I know the words "idiot" and "jerk" are used in the movie.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byFitMama January 12, 2011

Great movie but not for younger kids with bedtime monster problems :)

My son was just under 5yo when he first saw this movie at a friend's house. It evoked bedtime monster issues the first week after he saw it. However, his younger brother (now 4) watches it with him with no problems so I think it depends on the child.
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written bySuper Mommy 1980 August 9, 2012

Monsters Inc

This is an adorable monster movie.... until Randall comes in. My 7 year old has a good head on her shoulders, so she knows that "Randall" can't come in. As for my 2 year old, let's just say that we had a toddler bed in our room for about a month after she watched Monsters Inc. She was absolutely MORTIFIED every time Randall or his sidekick would come on screen. When Sully was demonstrating his scare technique at the end, she went into MASS HYSTERIA. I was surprised by her reaction because she watched Brave without any tears. I applaud Disney for making a movie for the 6-10 year old crowd, but a PG rating would have been helpful in this case.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byandrewwhitt April 18, 2011
Parent Written byMitestarossa May 20, 2010

Excellent, everyone 3 and up should see it.

Kids of all ages love this movie. We have watched it many times.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bygetloud April 11, 2010

fine for 5+

The little girl Boo was so funny and it was worth seeing it.
Adult Written bymaddox121 July 2, 2015

Celia and mike is as bad as it gets

violence, cartoon language-"sex talk" from Celia sex-celia and mike dating drugs-none
Parent Written byFrankinf March 24, 2012

Not great for the younger ones

This movie gives a good message but can frighting young children so watch out under 6
Parent of a 1, 10, 10, 14, and 15 year old Written bycharmsmatuts January 20, 2012

Monsters are not real. It's AWESOME!

I have to admit. This is one of Pixar's best yet. Really Cute. My kids used to be afraid of the Monsters but now they're mature and understand Monsters are the opposite of real. It has some dark stuff, like it made some people cry I hear when the toddler was scared. It was still a hilarious movie. This has to be on Disney's list of funniest movies. Like Toy Story 3 or the old Mickey mouse and his friends Cartoons. It gets kids to understand that monsters are not always scary, They can be really friendly if they were real. But they'd probably be afraid of you. It's a good story, I mean, It's the best Idea they got for a movie about Monsters. With a better idea. They learn a lesson at the end that It isn't a good idea to scare people and anybody would rather be a clown than a monster scaring kids. Although, it is cute when kids go into a room with their baseball bat to fight a monster under the bed, It's your imagination you should be afraid of. Not Monsters. Pixar needs characters in movies that are really good role models and take good responsibility around friends. I liked the music and the beginning with really cool monsters inc art. My kids loved this movie. Trust me. You can't hate a movie like this. Too awesome and hilarious to hate. Way to go PIXAR! I'm Very proud of Disney for making so many good movies.
Kid, 10 years old August 1, 2011

Good but Scary

Full of monsters. You know your child. Would he or she be able to handle a giant spider, a gross lizard, and other disgusting beasts?
Kid, 8 years old May 7, 2011

Good for4 5 6 7 year olds

Good movie. A little bit of it may be scary to 4 and 5 year olds. It has some jokes for aldults.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bycone March 20, 2011

Parent of a 3, 6, 9, 12, 14, and 16 year old Written bydefinedancing February 8, 2011

Great For Kids 5+

This is a wonderful film and we have all watched it several times. The dialogue is witty and funny, the messages are great and the animation and story is on the money.
Adult Written byrockmonster January 23, 2010

a pixar hit!

too scary for young children... but amazing nonetheless. if you are able to read this review, you should watch this movie. nuff said.