All member reviews for Monsters vs. Aliens

Homage to '50s alien flicks too intense for youngest kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymasonlackey January 15, 2011

love it!

oh my goodness for a kids movie i wasnt expecting much but now i am proud to declare this as one of my favorite movies my little bro's new all time fav and a great movie thats worth checking out!
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp February 17, 2011
Good movie, but some sensuality and violence and language.
Kid, 11 years old April 4, 2011

Awesome!

Great movie! But some scary 3D scenes for little kids and the word "boobies" is a very bad word.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byJaydensMommy February 10, 2011

Great fun!

My son loves this movie. It's got just enough action to keep him entertained, but not too much as to scare him. He enjoys the creative characters and laughs throughout the whole thing. This movie is CONSTANTLY in the dvd player. He has the darn thing memorized!
Parent of a 8, 12, and 14 year old Written byCrysteMisty March 26, 2009
Even in the previews we decided it was not appropriate for our 3 chldren, age 8-14. Mostly for the using description of the female body, and references to making out. Too many "childrens" movies try to throw something in that they think will entertain the parents as well, thinking it will be over kids' heads. We know we are at a children's movie. If I want adult or even teen related humor, I'll go see a movie for my age bracket. Please, bring back some childlike innocence! Our children are being forced to grow up too fast, as they will ALWAYS ask "why is that funny?" WHY is it even in there???
Parent of a 3 year old Written byBeaner4 January 4, 2010

More for parents than kids

Not for younger viewers. Too much of a sense of menace and danger, even in most of the milder scenes. I got a kick out of it, but my son asked to turn it off (loudly).
Adult Written bynduns December 19, 2009

First of all, I'm not the kind of person who downrates a movie for being "inappropriate"

I believe that as long as it's not too gory, it's okay for kids. However, I just don't see the appeal this movie has. I feel it could very well be one of the most overrated Dreamworks films ever. It's funny in some areas, but most of the humor is predictable. It's like dreamworks focused more on the humor than the actual story and what we got was just okay. Suzan was underdeveloped and the other characters aren't all that likeable. In fact, this felt more like a "shove every pop culture reference possible in our faces" kind of deal. I truly feel that had Dreamworks worked a better story around it all, it would have been great, but for what it is, it's okay and nothing more.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byjenturn July 9, 2009

My 6 year old was overwhelmed! Had to leave.

I just took my 6 year old to the theater to see this one. After 1/2 hour we had to leave because he was tucked up in a ball telling me he was scared and wanted to go. I'm a bit surprised because he is fine with movies like the Incredibles, but this one shook him from the beginning. Just too much gun violence and big crashes/explosions.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 14, 2012

This movie was the stuff!

MVM was such a great movie! It has everything you want in a movie fromg great animation to great humor.From crazy good art to lots of action.Add positive messages,positive role models,and other great suff to the mix and you got your movie!
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 22, 2012

monsters vs aliens

Families can talk about the impact of using violence -- even animated fantasy violence -- to elicit laughs. Why is it funny to see a character get shot? Would it have been as funny if it was a human (or monster) getting shot instead of a generic alien clone? What are the consequences of violence in real life? Families can also discuss how Susan's character evolves in the movie. How does she change, both physically and emotionally? Is she a good role model for girls? Why or why not?
Adult Written byJEDI micah April 30, 2012

1950's MONSTERS JOIN FORCES!

If you grew up watching the old monsters from the 1950's, then you would expect this movie to be like the monsters from the 1950's. YOU EXPECTED WRONG! This movie is way cooler and funnier than the old monster movies! They all come together to save Earth from an evil alien who has giant robots! Parents, you kids, mostly boys, will definitely want to see this movie. There is plenty of violence, not to mention even machine guns and one alien is killed by a laser gun, but all of it is cartoonish. You parents may even find the U.S. President amusing and you would also like the voice actors in this movie as well. This is a great monster movie!
Parent Written bynirrakel February 23, 2012

Suprisingly my little ones love it

My 2 year old and 4 year old love it, I worried it might be too scary or upsetting but it's their favourite film
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byjoannab July 11, 2010
Parent of a 2 and 6 year old Written byevaallen January 19, 2010
Just wanted to warn parents that the beginning of the movie, when Susan quickly grows enormous during her wedding can be scary for younger children, primarily because of the emotional distress the character displays during the process, and because she is then taken away from her family against her will. She's fine in the end, of course, and the later scenes of violence and threat to the entire earth didn't phase her at all, but my 6-year-old had nightmares for several nights about the separation from parents/abduction aspect.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byjwilde October 21, 2009
7 year old son loved it, went to see it twice. the fight scene was a little intense, but not too scary.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper November 8, 2010
Plenty of action that might be scary for little kids.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion April 5, 2010

Clever and Funny, And Kid-Friendly!

MONSTERS vs. ALIENS is a good movie. It's funny and charming. However, it is also emotionally distant. I found myself wishing that the writers took some time out of gags and invested it into the characters and plot. That would have made it a much better movie. However, the bright side is that it is kid-friendly. Some parts of the film are intense, but whatever mild violence there is is softened by humor. There are plenty of slapstick falls and situations, but it's all mild. Guns and explosions are prominent, but it's all cartoony and for the most part, no one gets hurt. One monster is hurt pretty badly, but ends up all right in the end. There is no language as I could recall, except for one slang use of "boobs". No sexual content at all. Positive messages pervade the film. Although the President and other leaders are shown as imbeciles for comedic effect, the main characters promote acceptance, tolerance, mercy, and teamwork.
Parent of a 6, 8, and 11 year old Written byjbwmama November 29, 2009

great family movie...funny and easy to watch

Our family really enjoyed this movie. It was age-appropriate for each child on a different level and Dad and I also had some laughs. It's easy to watch, we liked the subtle references to other space/alien movies and I appreciated the lessons about teamwork and accepting your differences (even if they are significant). This will definitely be a classic in our dvd collection.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bybriannefair November 20, 2009
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bybiglamb November 14, 2009

Fun movie with a Sci-Fi twist

I really liked this movie. The main character was very devoted to her family, friends and to the man she (did) love. All the monsters treated each other with respect and helped each other out. The ending could be intense for younger/sensitive kids but they tried not to go over the top.