All member reviews for Monsters vs. Aliens

Homage to '50s alien flicks too intense for youngest kids.

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written bysagem March 27, 2009
Adult Written byanastasy March 27, 2009
We were treated to a sneak preview this week via a Visa Signature event, and my five year old son was VERY excited for the movie. We discussed it ahead of time, and decided to give it a try, in spite of our gut feeling that there might be a few intense scenes. What a wrong call. We had to leave after the first ten minutes as the scenes where the primary character grows to giant size, and then is attacked by the military were way too intense. My son was literally whimpering and burying his head in my lap. Some children this age might not have any issue, but if your child has proven sensitive to violence in the past (as has ours), definitely pass on Monsters vs. Aliens for a few more years.
Parent of a 8, 12, and 14 year old Written byCrysteMisty March 26, 2009
Even in the previews we decided it was not appropriate for our 3 chldren, age 8-14. Mostly for the using description of the female body, and references to making out. Too many "childrens" movies try to throw something in that they think will entertain the parents as well, thinking it will be over kids' heads. We know we are at a children's movie. If I want adult or even teen related humor, I'll go see a movie for my age bracket. Please, bring back some childlike innocence! Our children are being forced to grow up too fast, as they will ALWAYS ask "why is that funny?" WHY is it even in there???
Parent of a 8, 18, and 21 year old Written byNTMOMMA March 26, 2009

Great family movie for older kids/ pre-teens

we saw this movie and thought it was cute. It had a lot of past sci-fi movies and TV shows theme songs and quotes in it that most of the adults in our group got a big kick out of. Hugh Laurie was perfect as the Dr. (cockroach) and Reese Weatherspoon was delightful as always.
Kid, 8 years old March 24, 2009