All member reviews for Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

Edgy Python schtick better for older viewers.

Adult Written bytn April 9, 2008
Parent of a 13 year old Written byZachary Sohrab November 5, 2009

PRETTY FUNNY

It's okay. Not really for younger kids. When my kid was 5, I thought it would be okay for him. Within the first half hour I turned it off. Don't try watching it with a younger child

"Have You Ever Wondered What Life's All About?"

Monty Python Give You There View Of The Meaning Of Life... Which Means Normal Bloody Violence, Some Cursing And Loads Of Sex Scenes... Plus Some Very Funny Bits To! Overall This Film Is NOT, I Repeat, NOT Suitable For A Child Under The Age Of 18 At All!!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written bycopperzinc July 15, 2009

Teen, 14 years old Written byitsrainingfrogs July 14, 2014

Maybe the funniest Python film

The Monty Python Trilogy is possibly the funniest film trilogy of all time, and The Meaning of Life might be the funniest. Using a sketch comedy format, the Pythons give a series of sketches loosely related to the stages of life, from birth until death. Featuring memorable bits including "Find the Fish", "Christmas in Heaven", and the world's fattest man, the movie makes little sense, but that's what makes it so funny, along with great songs including "The Galaxy Song" and "Every Sperm is Sacred". Sex: Some animated nudity. A scene depicting a sexual education class in which the teacher has sex with his wife. Some nudity. A song is called "Every Sperm is Sacred". A man is chased off a cliff by topless women. A brief but graphic animated scene showing a woman apparently giving birth. Topless angels are seen in Heaven. Brief discussion about condoms. Violence: Some bloody comic violence. A man has a forced organ transplant. Bloody and gore are seen spraying everywhere. A man is seen with a missing leg. A few bloody characters on a battlefield. Several men are shot. Language: A few uses of f***. Substance Abuse: Little to none. Intensity: None. The film is all comedy.
Parent of an infant year old Written byClassicEducationMama August 11, 2013

Adults Only

This one is definitely one for adults. The opening scene includes a woman giving birth to her child while doing dishes and then ignoring it while it screams on the floor. This is followed by the infamous sperm song and much more sex and violence. I had to turn it off. Not my kind of humor.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow January 22, 2013

Best comedy of all time!

After the subpar "Life of Brian", The Meaning of Life not only brings back the spirit of the Python films, but it actually rises above them. It's quirky, surreal, and probably a milestone in politically incorrect cinema. I enjoyed every sketch, especially "Live Organ Transplants" and "The Autumn Years", just for how disgustingly over-the-top they were. All the actors were extremely dedicated in their roles, whether they're putting on fake accents or just being pointless and unnecessary (thus adding to the fun surreality), and they all appeared to be having massive fun. But it's also the most sophisticated of all the MP films, bringing up some genuinely interesting questions about the meaning of life without getting in the way of the laughs. Lots of people will certainly be turned away by it's horrendous and disgusting physical gags (a well-earned "not for kids" film), but this movie flattens all the other MP movies because it accomplishes the Monty Python spirit the most - for stupidity, sophistication, and stupidity.
Kid, 12 years old June 28, 2012

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving...

And revolving at 900 miles an hour! As you may be able to tell from my screen name, I am a HUGE Monty Python fan. However, I don't believe that this is their best work. It is very good and is more suited to people with an acquired taste. There is a small educational value in the Galaxy Song which is upbeat, easy to remember and teaches kids a little about the Universe. The scene where the fat man throws up and explodes did make me a bit squeamish, but I'm sure kids around 12-13 can handle it depending on their maturity. There is also a bit of bad language.
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag June 17, 2012

Monty Python anthology film is violent and sexual. Mature teens+

"The Meaning of Life" is a comedy/satire by critically acclaimed British comedy group Monty Python. While being entertaining and at some points really funny, it is their weakest film. At some points, the Pythons lose themselves in bad taste jokes (not yet bad). Still, there are several funny and hilarious moments, such as both war scenes or the infamous surreal "Where is the Fish?" skit. It is certainly no waste of time. The movie has some strong violent moments, such as a man's liver being cut out while he is still alive (The body is off-screen, you see lots of blood splatter and the organs being taken out, you hear the man scream in pain). It is meant to be comical, but it still can be quite disturbing to some. In a war sequence, severed limbs, heads and bloody stumps are shown, but this time, the violence is clearly comical. A man literally explodes (the content of his stomach bursts everywhere, you see extremely fake bones and a heart, but it is ridiculously unrealistic). Some other violence that is not that graphic. There are sexual scenes, a song is sung entitled "Every Sperm is Sacred", which includes verses sung by children or nuns. A teacher has sex with his wife in front of the class (nothing explicit shown, only their heads). A scene in which topless female nudity is shown. Frequent sexual talk, which can be graphic. There are some uses if the f-word. Mainly for its violence, this movie should be watched by older teens and adults only.
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 26, 2012

Amazing.

This movie was epic! Everything about it was awesome from the voice acting to the jokes!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 June 20, 2011

Not nearly as good as the previous two films, but still good.

My rating: R for crude sexual content throughout.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAKE April 6, 2011

Good for older highschool students

I think that it is a great movie and very funny. But it has humor that is not appropriate for many ages. I re om end seeing it but there is nudity, sex, and some gore so it may disturb or teach kids the wrong message.
Kid, 10 years old November 15, 2010

Innapropriate

I really like this movie, but it is REALLY innapropriate. you should watch it before you let your kid see it.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byGOREROCKS June 19, 2010

MEANING OF LIFE PART IV KILLING EACH OTHER

This movie is hilarious and is a must see. I watched it with my niece how is 5 years old and she loved it. It makes a great family movie.
Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 October 13, 2009

Parent of a 11, 14, and 16 year old Written byjkeen32 July 21, 2009
Kid, 9 years old April 18, 2009

Either you like it or you hate it. I hate british humor.

I agree with islandgal. It could've gotten an NC-17 rating. I loved it when I was 7, but I watched it this year, I didn't like it.
Adult Written byseanofthedead924 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byMacintyre April 9, 2008

hilarious.

this is one of the best monty python movie, with the possible exceptoin of the holy grail, ever made. there isn't really anything bad in this at all, though there is some sexual humor, and a li8ttle slapstick violence, but nothing to be worried about.

don't let your children see this!!!!

this is the most disgusting movie i have ever seen very explicate in the sexual catagory. i think it should be nc17. i don't have to write much i just have to say...... DON'T LET YOUR KIDS SEE IT!!!!