All member reviews for Moonrise Kingdom

Typically quirky Wes Anderson dramedy has lots of heart.

Teen, 15 years old Written byclassygirl14 June 18, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom: 5 Stars!

I LOVED this movie. Wes Anderson created a honest and whimsical storyline of two misunderstood 12 year olds who run away together in the '60s. Although the kids do feel each other up and talk about an implied erection, it's still quite tame. The main characters are so unique and funny, even though they are a bit crazy and dangerous. I think most people could relate to their feelings of being upset and misunderstood, at any age. The movie encourages being yourself and not conforming to what others want you to do. The only things that might scare kids a little bit is that one kid is stabbed with a pair of scissors and a dog is killed accidentally. I saw Moonrise Kingdom with my family and my parents loved it. Would you rather take your kids to a bad animated comedy or a quirky, true, and touching story of love, family, and courage? It's an easy decision for me.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysarahzazzle June 10, 2012

GREAT!

This film is a must see. Yes, some parts were awkward, but it was a very thoughtful film. Omg the troops ( u will understand what I mean after you watch the movie) were so funny! I can't think of a dull moment in this movie. WATCH IIIIIIITTTTTTTTT!
Parent Written byspulling July 2, 2012

Good intro to 'first love' and sophisticated humor for tweens and up

For mature 12 year olds and up. Hysterically funny. Very mild underwear scene. First love is between two highly intelligent misfits who have no other friends. One scene to discuss in advance - a dog is accidentally killed in a Monty Python-esque scene which feels a little strange to laugh at. Our mature 12 year old daughter laughed all the way through, as did the entire theater audience. Not slapstick - just pure sophisticated humor that is a little off of center, but in no way offensive.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNo Name, for real. January 20, 2013

Stupid movie gets on my nerves.

Is common sense media telling me, that Moonrise Kingdom is good? Ill have you know that its stupid! Two depressed kids that you absolutely can't stand because of there issues, there just not very likable. Bill Murray and Bruce Willis keep things fresh for a minute, but it wheres out and becomes dull really fast. Kids running away, kids saying they hate there parents, kids having sex, kids drawing each other naked, kids being shocked by lightning, kids getting stabbed with scissors all by other kids. What kind of movie is this?
Parent Written byBRUN0 July 16, 2013

JUST NO

This is no movie for kids. It is filled with crude, sexist, vulgar and completely inappropriate content. My children wont even see the trailer until they are twenty one.
Kid, 11 years old July 2, 2012

Fantastic But a little mature for Tweens

I love this movie. However, as a tween boy, I think a lot of boys my age would get bored and be very immature about a certain scene were the two leads had a slightly odd sexual situation. Other than that a dog is violently killed and a girl stabs a boy (he lives.) Plus there is a brief scene were a boy drinks beer and smokes a pipe. However, VERY funny movie for Mature Tweens, Teens and Adults.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 July 7, 2012

Quirky, fun and even beautiful

Just some adjectives to describe Anderson's latest masterpiece! Somehow he captures the spirit of youthful summers in a period of a little over 90 minutes. I don't know how he does it, but I really hope he doesn't stop! See this little gem before you hear all about it at the Oscars this year!
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byGeekyMum January 10, 2014

Enjoyable for younger kids if you can talk frankly about romance and sex

This is a beautiful movie, and was fine for our 10-year-old in the context of a frank conversation about what *is* and isn't appropriate for a young romance. I would be more hesitant to watch with a 12- or 13-year-old; at 10, our daughter still sees romance as far enough away that the junior make-out scenes didn't feel like inspiration. She really enjoyed the romance, and in particular, the music. A few caveats, however: - there are a few scenes that could upset younger or sensitive kids: the violent (but not gory) death of a pet, and a few scenes in which major characters are in physical jeopardy. - this is NOT a movie I would show to a kid who is prone to running away or disappearing, since it romanticizes running away. - there are allusions to parental infidelity; this could be worrying for kids, but can also be an opportunity to talk with kids about fidelity and trust. - this is a movie I would be cautious about showing to adopted kids, but is a great choice for adoptive parents (especially those who have adopted older kids) - this is a good opportunity to talk about how prevalent smoking used to be -- and for reminding kids of its consequences.
Kid, 11 years old June 15, 2013

Not my favorite

Educator and Parent of a 14 year old Written byProfessor Rebecca August 10, 2012

Wonderful - Quirky - Beautiful

Wonderful, and yes, quirky. I took my 14 year old daughter and 60 year old mother to see this on an extremely hot July afternoon. We all absolutely loved it. Besides just being a clever movie with excellent acting, the movie had some wonderful messages. First, teens finally understood and supported the 'weird' kid after they considered his past. Second, true love does exist! Finally, humans need to be loved, and love is out there if just look hard enough. Beautiful.
Kid, 11 years old July 2, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom

I loved this movie there really is only one sexual scene and even that was not bad. I think this is a great movie i would definitely recommend it!
Kid, 12 years old July 22, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom

This was a fine movie. This is my first Wes Anderson film, and I am pleased. The humor was silly, but still funny. The main female lead is mentioned to be violent, she even stabs a boy with scissors. A dog is shot with an arrow and killed, and a boy is struck by lightning. The plot is about two 12 year olds who run away in love. There was a sensuality scene between the two, including some innuendo. Some mild language was used. The male 12 year old smokes a pipe and is served beer. Overall this was a great movie, just not the best pick for kids.
Kid, 9 years old July 20, 2012

no go

this movie is not ok for kids
Teen, 14 years old Written byhappygirl1652 July 19, 2012

Funny, cute and different... but beware of some violent and sexy scenes :S

I think this was a cute, funny and altogether really great movie. I thought that although it is not inappropriate for most teens and older tweens, the movie is quite adult and most of the themes may go over younger kids' heads. The girl's problems were pretty mature, especially- self harm, depression and violent outbreaks. Also the part where the dog got killed, was really sad. The most awkward and weird part was when they were making out- if you could say that- on the beach and he tries to feel her up (over her bra, but still!!). They also mention that he got a hard-on- eww... But other than that slightly awkward moment while sitting next to my mom, it was a hilarious, one of a kind movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byevrydaymovies July 11, 2012

Nice Change.

This movie is different from all others. It is shot in interesting tones and angles. Although there are one or two scenes that may be awkward if sitting next to a parent, it is a mostly clean appropriate movie. The story line is unique and has you wondering what will happen till the last ten minutes of the movie. It is definitely a movie I would suggest for a feel-good movie night out.
Teen, 13 years old Written byZdn312 October 19, 2012

Quirky but very good

Common sense overrating again. This movie is fine for young teens. In fact I highly recommend it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBetsey J. June 21, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom Review

This was the best movie I have seen this year. So brilliant. It's such a sweet and quirky story. All that I have put for what families should know is very mild. In one seen a boy gets hurt with scissors (it does not show). In another scene Sam and Suzy are dancing and Sam begins to feel Suzy's breasts, because it is an adult theme that kids are doing it might be flagged as inappropriate. Still it was an incredible film.
Parent Written byShivom Oza September 19, 2012

‘Moonrise Kingdom’ (2012) Review by Shivom Oza – Rises And Shines

A tale about two (very) young lovers Sam and Suzy, who run away to a picturesque island, which they call ‘Moonrise Kingdom’, but a few people can’t let them be together. The film, a romantic-comedy-drama film, directed by Wes Anderson, fills you with much joy and laughter. The world out there is as utopian as it can get; so much that you wish it was real. Experience bundle of goodness in these 90-odd minutes! ‘Moonrise Kingdom’ - Never understood what the name meant in the context of the film, but it would not matter anyway. This was not just a film. It was an experience. There was not a moment when you could waive your attention away from the screen. In 1965, on an island called New Penzance located in New England, 12-year-old Sam Shakusky (Jared Gilman) who is attending a ‘Khaki Scout’ summer camp, Camp Ivanhoe, led by South Master Randy Ward (Edward Norton), goes missing. Around the same time, Suzy Bishop (Kara Hayward), who is living with her attorney parents Walt Bishop (Bill Murray) and Laura Bishop (Frances McDormand) and three younger brothers, too goes missing with all her luggage. It seems Sam and Suzy had met the previous summer during a church performance by the latter, and had remained in touch through letters over the following year. They hatch a plan to reunite and run away together. While Shakusky brings his camping equipment, Suzy gets six books, her cat and a record player along with her. Hot on their trail are the Bishops guided by Captain Sharp (Bruce Willis). Sam and Suzy are off to a wondrous island, which they name ‘Moonrise Kingdom’. They share some very special moments on this island until they are finally hunted down by Suzy’s parents, the police and the Scout Master. While Suzy is banned from seeing him again, Sam faces the prospect of spending the rest of his teenage years in a ‘juvenile refuge’ as his foster parents refuse to take him back. The rest of the pack from the Scout, which had been quite rude to Sam earlier, decides to reunite the young couple. The rest of the film carries on the charming flavour that inundates the initial bit. The delightfulness of the dialogues and the scenes cannot be expressed in words. The film belongs to Kara Hilman and Jared Gilman. The two kids are so immensely talented. The control in their performances was admirable. There was no conscious attempt to show the world that they were acting. It was just effortless. Bruce Willis and Bill Murray may have aged. You may see the added wrinkles on their faces, their receding hairline and their bulging paunches, but you cannot ignore their charm. Edward Norton can still play the same role if a ‘Fight Club’ remake was done. He may have aged by a few years but the sprightliness hasn't withered away. Amazing efforts put in by Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton (Social Services), Jason Schwartzman in a hilarious cameo (Cousin Ben) and the legend Harvey Keitel as Commander Pierce. Bob Balaban, who is the Narrator, amuses one and all with his deadpan expressions and dry humour. The writing (Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola) is beautiful. The film kept on playing out one exquisite moment after another, backed with the finest dialogue in recent times. The cast, filled with legends, stayed trued to its reputation and delivered exceptional performances. The kids, especially, made this film truly special. Cinematography by Robert Yeoman was first-rate. The writing made the film great, but the visuals made it even more special. The art direction (Gerald Sullivan), production designs (Adam Stockhausen) and set decoration (Kris Moran), elevated this film to a different level altogether. Wes Anderson of ‘The Darjeeling Limited’ fame has another film to be proud of as a director. His writing ability was never doubted, anyway. Music by Alexandre Desplat is something else altogether. Watch the credit roll, it’s pretty much mind-blowing! This was not just the magical cinematography or the wonderful locations or the charming dialogue or the scintillating performances or the transcendental music or the astute direction or the poetic screenplay. This film was EVERYTHING. Watch Moonrise Kingdom for sure, folks. It's a brilliant film. Wait till the end credits roll. You'll leave the cinema hall with a smile. Shivom Oza
Teen, 16 years old Written byRobsterReviews July 4, 2012

So far movies in 2012 This is the BEST MOVIE OF 2012
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus February 6, 2013

Love it!

This movie was so great! I feel like it is kind of underrated. I loved the acting, humor, characters, drama, filming, music, and direction of the movie. This movie is very clever and quirky. It is so unique. There is not one thing I can think of that I didn't like about Moonrise Kingdom. I will definitely be buying this movie on DVD. I think it would be fine for most teens. I highly recommend you see it!