All member reviews for Moonrise Kingdom

Typically quirky Wes Anderson dramedy has lots of heart.

Teen, 13 years old Written bysarahzazzle June 10, 2012

GREAT!

This film is a must see. Yes, some parts were awkward, but it was a very thoughtful film. Omg the troops ( u will understand what I mean after you watch the movie) were so funny! I can't think of a dull moment in this movie. WATCH IIIIIIITTTTTTTTT!
Teen, 15 years old Written byclassygirl14 June 18, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom: 5 Stars!

I LOVED this movie. Wes Anderson created a honest and whimsical storyline of two misunderstood 12 year olds who run away together in the '60s. Although the kids do feel each other up and talk about an implied erection, it's still quite tame. The main characters are so unique and funny, even though they are a bit crazy and dangerous. I think most people could relate to their feelings of being upset and misunderstood, at any age. The movie encourages being yourself and not conforming to what others want you to do. The only things that might scare kids a little bit is that one kid is stabbed with a pair of scissors and a dog is killed accidentally. I saw Moonrise Kingdom with my family and my parents loved it. Would you rather take your kids to a bad animated comedy or a quirky, true, and touching story of love, family, and courage? It's an easy decision for me.
Parent Written byspulling July 2, 2012

Good intro to 'first love' and sophisticated humor for tweens and up

For mature 12 year olds and up. Hysterically funny. Very mild underwear scene. First love is between two highly intelligent misfits who have no other friends. One scene to discuss in advance - a dog is accidentally killed in a Monty Python-esque scene which feels a little strange to laugh at. Our mature 12 year old daughter laughed all the way through, as did the entire theater audience. Not slapstick - just pure sophisticated humor that is a little off of center, but in no way offensive.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNo Name, for real. January 20, 2013

Stupid movie gets on my nerves.

Is common sense media telling me, that Moonrise Kingdom is good? Ill have you know that its stupid! Two depressed kids that you absolutely can't stand because of there issues, there just not very likable. Bill Murray and Bruce Willis keep things fresh for a minute, but it wheres out and becomes dull really fast. Kids running away, kids saying they hate there parents, kids having sex, kids drawing each other naked, kids being shocked by lightning, kids getting stabbed with scissors all by other kids. What kind of movie is this?
Kid, 11 years old July 2, 2012

Fantastic But a little mature for Tweens

I love this movie. However, as a tween boy, I think a lot of boys my age would get bored and be very immature about a certain scene were the two leads had a slightly odd sexual situation. Other than that a dog is violently killed and a girl stabs a boy (he lives.) Plus there is a brief scene were a boy drinks beer and smokes a pipe. However, VERY funny movie for Mature Tweens, Teens and Adults.
Parent Written byBRUN0 July 16, 2013

JUST NO

This is no movie for kids. It is filled with crude, sexist, vulgar and completely inappropriate content. My children wont even see the trailer until they are twenty one.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 July 7, 2012

Quirky, fun and even beautiful

Just some adjectives to describe Anderson's latest masterpiece! Somehow he captures the spirit of youthful summers in a period of a little over 90 minutes. I don't know how he does it, but I really hope he doesn't stop! See this little gem before you hear all about it at the Oscars this year!
Teen, 13 years old Written byZdn312 October 19, 2012

Quirky but very good

Common sense overrating again. This movie is fine for young teens. In fact I highly recommend it.
Kid, 11 years old June 15, 2013

Not my favorite

Kid, 12 years old July 22, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom

This was a fine movie. This is my first Wes Anderson film, and I am pleased. The humor was silly, but still funny. The main female lead is mentioned to be violent, she even stabs a boy with scissors. A dog is shot with an arrow and killed, and a boy is struck by lightning. The plot is about two 12 year olds who run away in love. There was a sensuality scene between the two, including some innuendo. Some mild language was used. The male 12 year old smokes a pipe and is served beer. Overall this was a great movie, just not the best pick for kids.
Kid, 9 years old July 20, 2012

no go

this movie is not ok for kids
Kid, 11 years old July 2, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom

I loved this movie there really is only one sexual scene and even that was not bad. I think this is a great movie i would definitely recommend it!
Teen, 14 years old Written byhappygirl1652 July 19, 2012

Funny, cute and different... but beware of some violent and sexy scenes :S

I think this was a cute, funny and altogether really great movie. I thought that although it is not inappropriate for most teens and older tweens, the movie is quite adult and most of the themes may go over younger kids' heads. The girl's problems were pretty mature, especially- self harm, depression and violent outbreaks. Also the part where the dog got killed, was really sad. The most awkward and weird part was when they were making out- if you could say that- on the beach and he tries to feel her up (over her bra, but still!!). They also mention that he got a hard-on- eww... But other than that slightly awkward moment while sitting next to my mom, it was a hilarious, one of a kind movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRobsterReviews July 4, 2012

So far movies in 2012 This is the BEST MOVIE OF 2012
Teen, 14 years old Written byBetsey J. June 21, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom Review

This was the best movie I have seen this year. So brilliant. It's such a sweet and quirky story. All that I have put for what families should know is very mild. In one seen a boy gets hurt with scissors (it does not show). In another scene Sam and Suzy are dancing and Sam begins to feel Suzy's breasts, because it is an adult theme that kids are doing it might be flagged as inappropriate. Still it was an incredible film.
Teen, 16 years old Written byevrydaymovies July 11, 2012

Nice Change.

This movie is different from all others. It is shot in interesting tones and angles. Although there are one or two scenes that may be awkward if sitting next to a parent, it is a mostly clean appropriate movie. The story line is unique and has you wondering what will happen till the last ten minutes of the movie. It is definitely a movie I would suggest for a feel-good movie night out.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHweetseart April 18, 2015

Family fun!

I LOVE Wes Anderson, and this is a good introduction to his films.
Kid, 10 years old February 22, 2015

Really Great, A Little Innappropiate

I think it was a REALLY great movie!!! I'm 10 yrs old myself, and I loved it. Though, in one really awkward scene they are just laying around in their underwear but nothing "happens." They also French kiss, the boy touches the girls bo**s. I recommend kids from 10 - 11 to watch this with parents so they can explain some parts. In one scene, the boy and the girl got "married." You may not want to show this movie to your child if he or she is emotional, considers running away, or has a boyfriend/girlfriend. The marriage thing might lead your relationship-engulfed child getting married. It also might influence your child to run away. Also, the boy smoked every once in a while, and an adult offered him some beer another time. I really liked it and it's now one of my favorite movies. I actually liked the romance and the drama, it was different. Speaking of drama, for violence, the girl stuck her lefty scissors into a boys' hand, and a dog got shot by an arrow. Nothing was too scenic, but they did show the dead dog with the arrow still stuck in it...
Kid, 9 years old March 7, 2013

Moonrise Kindom review

I watched this about recently,it was really really good,the age would be about 10 to 50
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus February 6, 2013

Love it!

This movie was so great! I feel like it is kind of underrated. I loved the acting, humor, characters, drama, filming, music, and direction of the movie. This movie is very clever and quirky. It is so unique. There is not one thing I can think of that I didn't like about Moonrise Kingdom. I will definitely be buying this movie on DVD. I think it would be fine for most teens. I highly recommend you see it!