All member reviews for Mulan

Disneyfied but dignified tale of Chinese warrior.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byslantmaster March 20, 2011

Mulan is the best disney 'princess'

This is a great movie for all children to watch. It encourages the viewers to overcome gender stereotyping and that women are capable of doing the same things men are. It is comedic and was among my favorite childhood movies, it is too bad that Mulan isn't exactly considered a 'disney princess' like the rest are. A good movie to watch.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySweetDisposition January 5, 2011

An inspiring Disney movie to end off Disney's greatest decade.

I first watched this movie at age 6- and I've loved it since! Yes, there is some violence, but the battles are carried out creatively (as in, not just straight up sword to sword, but there are some deaths.) Common sense overreacts a bit- It's just flirting, nothing more. Mulan herself is an amazing role model, my childhood was inspired through Disney movies such as this. And with a great soundtrack (who doesn't love 'I'll make a man out of you'?) Mulan is right up there with other Disney classics. Please, do your child a favor and show them this Disney. Not this Disney we have today.
Parent of a 10 and 10 year old Written bydavid.wallace June 4, 2011

Disney gets it right- again.

Mulan is a movie about a girl who pretends to be a guy so she can go to fight in the army to prevent her elderly father from fighting. Sensitive kids may be frightened by the main villain and a few fighting scenes... but they will take good messages from the movie. Throughout the movie Mulan learns to accept herself for who she is. Mulan is a movie about honor and integrity, despite Mulan pretending to be a guy. At times this movie can be corny for adults but overall Mulan is a movie the whole family can enjoy.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byCuseMom October 20, 2012

Rated PG in our opinion, but worth watching!

Even I was scared during the battle scenes, and the villain is SCARY! In my opinion, this is definitely a movie you'd want to watch WITH any child under the age of 10; however, the movie offers a wonderful lesson in being strong and following your "inner compass." We were all amazed by Mulan's bravery, strength, and intelligence. She is a true she-ro!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byKinbJune May 4, 2011

Mula Mula Mula

I found this to be a very entertaining movie. It was your typical Disney movie, but if a movie from Disney is animated, you know that it's going to be good, unlike Disney's live-action department. It was very funny, and I now understand the sexual jokes that the movie puts in here and there. It's funny and dramatic. It also shows some history from ancient China. The only thing I didn't like was the singing. It was repetitive and annoying. Other than that, great movie!
Teen, 17 years old Written byUgli Chic February 6, 2011

"Yep, this one's a lucky one, all right!" ~Mulan's grandmother

One of the best Disney movies I've seen! Why don't they make ones like these anymore? Loved the songs and music. Mushu the dragon is HILARIOUS!!! Can't get enough of his 'dishonor' rant on Mulan, or his trouble-causing comments in army camp :) This movie is great; sort of pokes fun at old Chinese customs, such as the 'lucky cricket' concept, or going to the matchmaker. Also makes fun of army camp. No language to worry about; Mulan does run off to the army against her parents' wishes and against the law, but does not suffer for it until later; some battle scenes are intense, but not as dark as say, Jafar in Aladdin or Ursala in The Little Mermaid. Some characters get badly wounded in battle, but not too much blood is shown; one whole army is killed, but nothing shown but a few bodies and chariots. Shang does take off his shirt during army training, and Mulan seems to be interested. **SPOILER** near end, Mulan accidently wakes up in a tent when Shang is near with nothing but bandages around her waist and chest area; also, Mushu makes a joke near the beginning of movie. "My eyes can see straight thru your armor..." Other than that, nothing else. I had a great time watching this movie when I was young; I still have an infatuation of sword fighting. Hope you have the same fun I did!! ~Ugli Chic
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

A Film that Brings Honor to the Disney Family

It's always refreshing to see a princess who has better things to do than wait around for a man, and Mulan is one of these. She certainly fits the "girl power" mold, but she tempers this with femininity, love of family, and a true desire to follow her culture's mores of honor. Her relationship with two living parents (rare in the Disney canon) is definitely worth noting, as is her growth as a character. As one reviewer noted, Mulan's story does revolve to some extent around rebellion against authority. In context, this is somewhat understandable; Mulan had very little choice, but it's worth discussing with kids that her decision was technically disobedient. Battle scenes will be disturbing for young children, as will the dialogue and appearance of the Huns. Judeo-Christian parents may want to discuss the motif of ancestor worship as well. But for those families ready to do so, this is an enjoyable film to watch.
Adult Written bybluejelloshots May 31, 2012

Mulan the Gender Bender

My favorite Disney film. The music is excellent--not the usual schlock that accompanies Disney plots. The Mulan character is funny, warm, likeable, brave and smart. The best thing about Mulan is that she doesn't do well at "girl" things that are narrowly defined in the film's version of Chinese culture. But she still succeeds because she is brilliant and brave. I love that she gives a role model to girls like I was...capable in things not honored in women by society.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written bylightworker23 February 20, 2011

Best Disney Movie Ever

Both my daughters and I love this movie. We watched it over and over when they were younger. The story, the characters, the songs, and of course Eddie Murphy as Mushu; even better than his Donkey. I also have to admit it's one of my all time favorite movies ever. A true girl power movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysusieboo November 7, 2010

Possibly the best Disney heroine yet!

I love this movie. Mulan is such a wonderful role model for girls. I enjoyed the heck out of this thing, as would any girl who's tried to do something that's considered guy stuff. A few historical inaccuracies, but it's Disney, what did you expect? Also, I think Common Sense was wrong when they say that "it's too bad that in the end she still needs to be married off to a "Prince Charming" who saves the day". So... inviting a friend to dinner qualifies as marriage now?
Kid, 11 years old August 26, 2010

Some scenes just too scary.

I Like this show,but in some scenes,they shown some scary battlefield which have red sky,SCARY,CREEPY.
Teen, 13 years old Written by4kidshater June 7, 2010

A very good disney movie

I love this movie. It's my best movie ever. I like the dvd because it has a chinese(mandarin) language track. I like china, japan, korea, russia, and thailand. I wish every disney dvd had a chinese, japanese, korean, and thai language track. I like it. I highly recommeded it.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byMainemom87 February 21, 2010

A movie about a girl that boys will like!

My two boys love this movie. It has given us many chances to talk about how girls and boys can be heroic. They agree that most of the girls they know would rather be like Mulan than a princess. Also a good chance to talk about a culture with traditions very different from theirs. Sure, there are some fairly lame stereotypes in this film but I think the good far out weighs them.
Kid, 12 years old December 15, 2009

should have beend rated PG for brief vilonce and peril.

The was good but i don't understand why with all that vilonce and peril they just gave it a G rateing. I think should have rated it PG for peril and BRIEF vilonce.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybibliophile April 9, 2008

Wonderful Classic

I'm fifteen and still love this movie! Disney classics are the best movies out there, I don't care how good digital and 3D gets. Mulan has a little violence, but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING graphic, sexual, or profanity. I recommend this for ages 7+. Very good.
Teen, 15 years old Written byOfficial Critic May 29, 2012

Mulan Review

Though Disney's animation department does deserve credit for shaking up its formula and delving into relatively mature drama, the movie is flawed in numerous aggravating ways.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLibstudent9 February 28, 2011

i love mulan and the message!!

You will really fall in love with this movie because mulan gave out a good message about her taking her fathers place in the army. She actually dressed her self as a man to protect her father from getting killed.Its just like the old movie" JUST ONE OF THE GUYS " but more for kids.
Adult Written byThepheonixcorp September 20, 2010

Im Hunnish, But im not a monster!

I hate how they don't talk about how the hunnish race is today, I'm catholic, I'm smart. I even take algebra, Im in the Civil air patrol, and signing up for the rotc! I am also an inventer who uses electricity for my project vehicles! Not all hunnish people are monsters. Look up Budapest online! You see anything bad? If you do tell me.
Kid, 12 years old June 12, 2010

Amazing... Disney now is horrible

I love this movie! An amazing Disney classic (before Disney got terrible with shows like Jonas and Hannah Montana) that has stayed in the hearts of everyone even now. It talks about a brave girl who is willing to risk her life to save her father in the times of war in China with the Huns. It is a well thought out movie (like all Disney classics are... scratch that... more like "were". I love the music and the storyline. This is one of my favorite movies. I even know all of the songs! This is one film I wouldn't mind watching 100x times! PS I think you can tell I hate Disney now. It's just that I miss classic Disney! I miss inspirational Disney movies with incredible storylines and soundtracks that make me cry. I am sick of stupid, mindless shows like Hannah Montana. Bring back Mulan and Lion King and Hercules and Pocahontas and Beauty and the Beast and Sleeping Beauty and all of those other beautiful movies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byNoseStuckInABook June 4, 2010

Yay for REAL Disney!

Mulan is a real Disney movie. Show this to your kids rather than Hannah Montana. While Mulan is a sword-wielding, strong female character, Miley is strutting around with Lady Gaga-like clothes in a music video. Despite the violence, Mulan is a family-friendly movie for all ages. The only warning I have is that the songs may be stuck in your head for ages! Not that that's such a bad thing...