All member reviews for Mulan

Teen, 13 years old Written bySweetDisposition January 5, 2011

An inspiring Disney movie to end off Disney's greatest decade.

I first watched this movie at age 6- and I've loved it since! Yes, there is some violence, but the battles are carried out creatively (as in, not just straight up sword to sword, but there are some deaths.) Common sense overreacts a bit- It's just flirting, nothing more. Mulan herself is an amazing role model, my childhood was inspired through Disney movies such as this. And with a great soundtrack (who doesn't love 'I'll make a man out of you'?) Mulan is right up there with other Disney classics. Please, do your child a favor and show them this Disney. Not this Disney we have today.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNoseStuckInABook June 4, 2010

Yay for REAL Disney!

Mulan is a real Disney movie. Show this to your kids rather than Hannah Montana. While Mulan is a sword-wielding, strong female character, Miley is strutting around with Lady Gaga-like clothes in a music video. Despite the violence, Mulan is a family-friendly movie for all ages. The only warning I have is that the songs may be stuck in your head for ages! Not that that's such a bad thing...
Kid, 7 years old May 20, 2010

Some Language

Language:Use Of The Words Fr-d Stu--d
Teen, 17 years old Written byUgli Chic February 6, 2011

"Yep, this one's a lucky one, all right!" ~Mulan's grandmother

One of the best Disney movies I've seen! Why don't they make ones like these anymore? Loved the songs and music. Mushu the dragon is HILARIOUS!!! Can't get enough of his 'dishonor' rant on Mulan, or his trouble-causing comments in army camp :) This movie is great; sort of pokes fun at old Chinese customs, such as the 'lucky cricket' concept, or going to the matchmaker. Also makes fun of army camp. No language to worry about; Mulan does run off to the army against her parents' wishes and against the law, but does not suffer for it until later; some battle scenes are intense, but not as dark as say, Jafar in Aladdin or Ursala in The Little Mermaid. Some characters get badly wounded in battle, but not too much blood is shown; one whole army is killed, but nothing shown but a few bodies and chariots. Shang does take off his shirt during army training, and Mulan seems to be interested. **SPOILER** near end, Mulan accidently wakes up in a tent when Shang is near with nothing but bandages around her waist and chest area; also, Mushu makes a joke near the beginning of movie. "My eyes can see straight thru your armor..." Other than that, nothing else. I had a great time watching this movie when I was young; I still have an infatuation of sword fighting. Hope you have the same fun I did!! ~Ugli Chic
Kid, 11 years old August 26, 2010

Some scenes just too scary.

I Like this show,but in some scenes,they shown some scary battlefield which have red sky,SCARY,CREEPY.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKinbJune May 4, 2011

Mula Mula Mula

I found this to be a very entertaining movie. It was your typical Disney movie, but if a movie from Disney is animated, you know that it's going to be good, unlike Disney's live-action department. It was very funny, and I now understand the sexual jokes that the movie puts in here and there. It's funny and dramatic. It also shows some history from ancient China. The only thing I didn't like was the singing. It was repetitive and annoying. Other than that, great movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written byEspumaMarina September 4, 2010

I loved it sinse I was 4

I've watched this movie sinse I was four years old, none of it scared me really, infact I wasn't 100% percent sure what was going on, but I loved the movie never the less, I still do! The characters are funny, and traditional, and when the punishment for Mulan sneaking in the army was death, they still didn't, "a life for a life" but its exciting and its just family friendly, much more humarous and heartfelt, it was back when Disney wasn't afraid to explore, now its all "Ooh! Its the JoBros!!" "What's wrong with you, he's MY boyfriend" - O_o This story is beautiful, the music is amazing, and they worked hard on it. There are spirits, but they aren't scary at all, one has his head off and on his lap, but in a comical view. The spirits argue, which I admit was funny, they get along in the end, my favorite line is when the lady says "You're great, great grand daughter turned into a CROSS DRESSER!" (Prefuring to Mulan) The only things that are "sexual" if you call them that are these: Mulan smacked a man on the behind because Musu was kidding around and told her thats how they say hello (she was poorly mislead) later she was naked in a lake taking a bath, then other men, one stood on a rock and she covered her eyes, and she was trying to hide the secret that she was a girl, later she says she "Never wants to see a naked man again" then a whole bunch go running past her (nothing at all showing) And the last "sexual" thing was when she got injured Shane went to see her, and then saw that she was a girl because of her breasts (which were gauzed don't worry, it was like a mummy top) But really none of that was sexual at all, just to the point, and most of it was comedy, nothing like kissing, although Mulan has a crush on Shane Oh, did I meantion SPOILER ALERT? Oops. Anyway, awesome movie that wasn't boring like everything else. Disney now is supposivly "Squeeky clean" when its actually ALL about romance and rude behaving little brats that 'learn lessons' then turn around and act stupid again.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 July 10, 2010

Great movie with a sense of humor

I loved this movie! It has great messages about breaking traditional gender roles, being selfless, and doing what's right. All of this is seen is the main protagonist, Mulan, who is an excellent role model for girls. They have some great songs ("I'll Make A Man Out Of You"), the villains are deliciously creepy, and Mushu, the sidekick, is very funny. Violence: The violence may be too much for younger viewers. It's during a war so there are battle scenes and one character gets wounded (you see blood). Sex: Mulan falls in love with Shane, but they don't get together in this film. Also, in some scenes he's shirtless and there's this one scene where some of the warriors go swimming so they're naked. Mulan goes inside, and Mushu goes after her because everyone thinks she's a boy and "they're some things they're [the guys] are bound to notice" since Mulan's naked. But it's not too bad and may go over kid's heads (it went over mine).
Kid, 12 years old November 29, 2008

I've loved this movie since I was two years old (it came out in 1998 I believe, and I was born in 1996). Mulan is one of Disney's only heroines, also my first rolemodel as a kid! She still is my rolemodel now. This movie has amazing music, great animation, an interesting plotline that might inspire older viewers to do research on Ancient China and the supposed 'real' Mulan that inspired the poem, which inspired the movie. It has its share of funny moments, too, especially earlier on in the battle scene with the three soldiers. Speaking of which, there are some darker moments in this film, like when Shan Yu gets pinned to a bunch of fireworks (it's implied that he... ehh... explodes), and when Shang finds out of the death of his father. It could get scary for some young viewers, although it was never frightened me. This movie's been out almost eleven years, and I'd be surprised if you haven't managed to see it yet, but if you haven't you should immediately buy it.
Kid, 12 years old June 12, 2010

Amazing... Disney now is horrible

I love this movie! An amazing Disney classic (before Disney got terrible with shows like Jonas and Hannah Montana) that has stayed in the hearts of everyone even now. It talks about a brave girl who is willing to risk her life to save her father in the times of war in China with the Huns. It is a well thought out movie (like all Disney classics are... scratch that... more like "were". I love the music and the storyline. This is one of my favorite movies. I even know all of the songs! This is one film I wouldn't mind watching 100x times! PS I think you can tell I hate Disney now. It's just that I miss classic Disney! I miss inspirational Disney movies with incredible storylines and soundtracks that make me cry. I am sick of stupid, mindless shows like Hannah Montana. Bring back Mulan and Lion King and Hercules and Pocahontas and Beauty and the Beast and Sleeping Beauty and all of those other beautiful movies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byccbluebonnet February 8, 2011

Great Kids Movie

Ah, I really love this movie. While the review above was right about it being Disneyfied, it's one of the better Disneyfied movies out there. I mean, come on, who doesn't love Eddie Murphy? He did a great job as Mushu. I think the review was also accurate about what women were able to do, and for that matter, allowed to do. Overall, while at times the lines were cheesy, it was a great movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written byNorthernNights May 9, 2010

"Let's go kick some Honey-Buns!"

This shows a lot of honor in females, and I am very impressed. It truely captured my attention. A few scenes may be 'scary' but not enough to scar a child for life. It is really funny, and it really points out to males how they act sometimes ( no offence, but true ) there was a scene where Mulan was taking a bath, and some of her fellow co soldiers decided to take one as well ( in lake ) which they're of course nude, but not shown. Just pointing out that wasn't 'inapropreate' at all. I've seen this movie sinse I was really little. And it didn't harm me, and I'm usually a scardy-cat. So realax. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byLibstudent9 February 28, 2011

i love mulan and the message!!

You will really fall in love with this movie because mulan gave out a good message about her taking her fathers place in the army. She actually dressed her self as a man to protect her father from getting killed.Its just like the old movie" JUST ONE OF THE GUYS " but more for kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysusieboo November 7, 2010

Possibly the best Disney heroine yet!

I love this movie. Mulan is such a wonderful role model for girls. I enjoyed the heck out of this thing, as would any girl who's tried to do something that's considered guy stuff. A few historical inaccuracies, but it's Disney, what did you expect? Also, I think Common Sense was wrong when they say that "it's too bad that in the end she still needs to be married off to a "Prince Charming" who saves the day". So... inviting a friend to dinner qualifies as marriage now?
Teen, 13 years old Written by4kidshater June 7, 2010

A very good disney movie

I love this movie. It's my best movie ever. I like the dvd because it has a chinese(mandarin) language track. I like china, japan, korea, russia, and thailand. I wish every disney dvd had a chinese, japanese, korean, and thai language track. I like it. I highly recommeded it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybibliophile April 9, 2008

Wonderful Classic

I'm fifteen and still love this movie! Disney classics are the best movies out there, I don't care how good digital and 3D gets. Mulan has a little violence, but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING graphic, sexual, or profanity. I recommend this for ages 7+. Very good.
Teen, 14 years old Written by96grlpowrCE March 7, 2010

The best Disney movie of all time, in my book.

Mulan is an excellent movie for anyone to watch. I don't find Common Sense's opinions in their review for this movie quite accurate-- I watched this movie when I was two and none of the war scenes bothered me (and this is coming from someone who was afraid of the Barney camping special as a child, for crying out loud). There are some weapons shown, but we don't see arrows or swords actually strike anyone (except for in one scene where Mulan is wounded by Shan-Yu, but it's not a graphic scene). Even though a great deal of the movie revolves around preparing and participating in combat, it's by no means a violent movie. The songs are very memorable ('I'll Make A Man Out Of You' is very catchy and is my favourite Disney song), even the background music, which is beautifully composed. The movie has something for everyone, including humour. There's even some romance (we see that Mulan develops sort of a crush on Li Shang, the new general, and at the end it's implied that they fall in love), but it's not the focal point of the movie, unlike in the other Disney princess movies. Mulan is an excellent rolemodel for girls, teaching us to be brave, care about family, and defy gender stereotypes. This movie inspired me to learn about Asian culture when I was little, and I'm sure it's inspired others. This movie is definitely not to be missed!
Teen, 14 years old Written byKaty0 October 7, 2009

Very highly recommended.
Kid, 12 years old December 15, 2009

should have beend rated PG for brief vilonce and peril.

The was good but i don't understand why with all that vilonce and peril they just gave it a G rateing. I think should have rated it PG for peril and BRIEF vilonce.
Teen, 15 years old Written byOfficial Critic May 29, 2012

Mulan Review

Though Disney's animation department does deserve credit for shaking up its formula and delving into relatively mature drama, the movie is flawed in numerous aggravating ways.