All member reviews for Mulan

Teen, 13 years old Written bySweetDisposition January 5, 2011

An inspiring Disney movie to end off Disney's greatest decade.

I first watched this movie at age 6- and I've loved it since! Yes, there is some violence, but the battles are carried out creatively (as in, not just straight up sword to sword, but there are some deaths.) Common sense overreacts a bit- It's just flirting, nothing more. Mulan herself is an amazing role model, my childhood was inspired through Disney movies such as this. And with a great soundtrack (who doesn't love 'I'll make a man out of you'?) Mulan is right up there with other Disney classics. Please, do your child a favor and show them this Disney. Not this Disney we have today.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKinbJune May 4, 2011

Mula Mula Mula

I found this to be a very entertaining movie. It was your typical Disney movie, but if a movie from Disney is animated, you know that it's going to be good, unlike Disney's live-action department. It was very funny, and I now understand the sexual jokes that the movie puts in here and there. It's funny and dramatic. It also shows some history from ancient China. The only thing I didn't like was the singing. It was repetitive and annoying. Other than that, great movie!
Teen, 17 years old Written byUgli Chic February 6, 2011

"Yep, this one's a lucky one, all right!" ~Mulan's grandmother

One of the best Disney movies I've seen! Why don't they make ones like these anymore? Loved the songs and music. Mushu the dragon is HILARIOUS!!! Can't get enough of his 'dishonor' rant on Mulan, or his trouble-causing comments in army camp :) This movie is great; sort of pokes fun at old Chinese customs, such as the 'lucky cricket' concept, or going to the matchmaker. Also makes fun of army camp. No language to worry about; Mulan does run off to the army against her parents' wishes and against the law, but does not suffer for it until later; some battle scenes are intense, but not as dark as say, Jafar in Aladdin or Ursala in The Little Mermaid. Some characters get badly wounded in battle, but not too much blood is shown; one whole army is killed, but nothing shown but a few bodies and chariots. Shang does take off his shirt during army training, and Mulan seems to be interested. **SPOILER** near end, Mulan accidently wakes up in a tent when Shang is near with nothing but bandages around her waist and chest area; also, Mushu makes a joke near the beginning of movie. "My eyes can see straight thru your armor..." Other than that, nothing else. I had a great time watching this movie when I was young; I still have an infatuation of sword fighting. Hope you have the same fun I did!! ~Ugli Chic
Teen, 13 years old Written bysusieboo November 7, 2010

Possibly the best Disney heroine yet!

I love this movie. Mulan is such a wonderful role model for girls. I enjoyed the heck out of this thing, as would any girl who's tried to do something that's considered guy stuff. A few historical inaccuracies, but it's Disney, what did you expect? Also, I think Common Sense was wrong when they say that "it's too bad that in the end she still needs to be married off to a "Prince Charming" who saves the day". So... inviting a friend to dinner qualifies as marriage now?
Kid, 11 years old August 26, 2010

Some scenes just too scary.

I Like this show,but in some scenes,they shown some scary battlefield which have red sky,SCARY,CREEPY.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybibliophile April 9, 2008

Wonderful Classic

I'm fifteen and still love this movie! Disney classics are the best movies out there, I don't care how good digital and 3D gets. Mulan has a little violence, but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING graphic, sexual, or profanity. I recommend this for ages 7+. Very good.
Kid, 11 years old June 18, 2014

BEST DISNEY MOVIE EVER!!!

Mulan is with no doubt BEST Disney movie ever! I usually love Disney movies, but (putting aside Brave and Mulan) the princesses/female leads are nearly always simpering, annoying brats waiting for their princes to come save them. ("OH, PRINCE CHARMING!") I saw a lot of Disney Princess movies when I was younger and loved them, then re-watched a lot of the Renessiance Age (sorry, can't spell it) and before Disney films and although still enjoyed the storylines and soundtracks, was appalled by how stupidly the women were portrayed. Movies in the Renessiance age (Pocahontas, Aladdin, The Lion King etc.,) weren't too bad but the 40s-80s were terrible. I saw Mulan when I was about five years old (about 2008 though it was released in 1998) and didn't really understand it and didn't like it much. It is a lot harder to comprehend (for kids 6 and under) than the likes of Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. They are basically: Everyone is happy. Tragedy strikes (usually parents die etc.,). Girl is now upset for many years. Prince/Male lead shows up. Prince/ML falls in love with Princess/FL. They all live happily ever after. Then I saw an advertisement for it when watching Sofia the First with my little sister (admittedly kind of more for me than her though!) on Disney Junior and remembered the movie so set it to record. I watched it last week (aged 11), then the next day, the two days after that, then three days, then yesterday and twice today. I'm addicted. I won't spoil the movie for you if you haven't seen it yet, but this is the basic storyline: At the beginning of the movie, Mulan (aged about 16 or 17) has to visit the Matchmaker to find a husband. This movie was set about a thousand years ago in Ancient China, so this was the normal routine. She is deemed unsuitable for marriage and so then thinks she has brought dishonour on her family. While preparing her to visit the Matchmaker a song is performed name "Honour To Us All" which is VERY sexist but don't turn the movie off yet. They are mocking the fact this actually happened and later on it gets better. There are many sexist songs but they are all ridiculing the people who actually take it seriously. Mulan sings a song named "Reflection" because she thinks she is not good enough. Later the Chinese prepare for war against the Huns (Mongolians). Mulan's is very old and injured but by law one man from each family has to fight. She later goes in his place (disobeying her parents, but it is for their own good). A hilarious (and tiny) dragon, Mushu, goes with her to try to bring her back after it is discovered she is missing. If I say anymore I will ruin the movie so enjoy :) The next song (which is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING) is named "I'll Make a Man Out Of You" and is also pretty sexist but it's obviously making fun of it (watch the movie). Another song "A Girl Worth Fighting For" is sexist because the men sing that they want their brides to be pretty and well dressed. Mulan is deeply offended by this and puts them right by saying girls with brains are better than girls with beauty but they dismiss this. Mulan is even better than the men at fighting and ends up SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT saving China. This is a great movie for both girls and boys, as well as being humourous and entertaining it will teach them girls are just as good as boys. I watched this with my three-year-old sister and seven-year-old brother, if you are watching this movie with children as young or younger as my sister prepare for some questions. She asked why girls weren't allowed to fight as well and why girls would be killed if they did. I explained that that was a long time ago and they could now, but it wasn't fair when they weren't. She pondered this then said that was mean and not fair. (I WAS SO PROUD!!! lol) Positive Messages: Girls can do everything boys can do, stand up for what you believe in Positive Role Models: Mulan: Stands up for what she thinks is right, challenges herself to make things better Shang: keeps going when things get tough, can change his ways Yao, Limg and the tall, overweight guy (Chein-Yo or something, I keep forgetting his name) (at the end of the movie): Teaches us that people are the same inside no matter what they look like on the outside. Violence: There is a bit (kicking, bamboo poles, swords, cannons) but this is I-Cell Animation so it's not that bad. Mulan is visibly wounded, but it is only this: she keels over with pain and lifts her hand to reveal a pool of blood on her clothing. I-Cell is not realistic so it is nothing to worry about. Sex: At the beginning of the movie Mulan has a bath but you can only see her shoulders, face and bare arms. In the middle she bathes in the lake, you can see the same and her bare calves when she emerges from the lake. The men then arrive (without Mulan knowing so this can't be counted as sexual, only nudity), you can see their bare chests, arms, legs and faces. During the song "I'll Make A Man Out Of You" Shang (male) is topless. Cursing: Mulan is called a treacherous snake, but that can't really be counted as cursing. Drugs, Alcohol & Smoking: Some cigarettes are smoked, but that was the custom in those days. Consumerism: It's China. 1500 years ago. Any products shown or mentioned would not be around today. No idea why Common Sense gave this 3/5.
Teen, 15 years old Written byOfficial Critic May 29, 2012

Mulan Review

Though Disney's animation department does deserve credit for shaking up its formula and delving into relatively mature drama, the movie is flawed in numerous aggravating ways.
Teen, 13 years old Written by4kidshater June 7, 2010

A very good disney movie

I love this movie. It's my best movie ever. I like the dvd because it has a chinese(mandarin) language track. I like china, japan, korea, russia, and thailand. I wish every disney dvd had a chinese, japanese, korean, and thai language track. I like it. I highly recommeded it.
Kid, 12 years old December 15, 2009

should have beend rated PG for brief vilonce and peril.

The was good but i don't understand why with all that vilonce and peril they just gave it a G rateing. I think should have rated it PG for peril and BRIEF vilonce.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLibstudent9 February 28, 2011

i love mulan and the message!!

You will really fall in love with this movie because mulan gave out a good message about her taking her fathers place in the army. She actually dressed her self as a man to protect her father from getting killed.Its just like the old movie" JUST ONE OF THE GUYS " but more for kids.
Kid, 12 years old June 12, 2010

Amazing... Disney now is horrible

I love this movie! An amazing Disney classic (before Disney got terrible with shows like Jonas and Hannah Montana) that has stayed in the hearts of everyone even now. It talks about a brave girl who is willing to risk her life to save her father in the times of war in China with the Huns. It is a well thought out movie (like all Disney classics are... scratch that... more like "were". I love the music and the storyline. This is one of my favorite movies. I even know all of the songs! This is one film I wouldn't mind watching 100x times! PS I think you can tell I hate Disney now. It's just that I miss classic Disney! I miss inspirational Disney movies with incredible storylines and soundtracks that make me cry. I am sick of stupid, mindless shows like Hannah Montana. Bring back Mulan and Lion King and Hercules and Pocahontas and Beauty and the Beast and Sleeping Beauty and all of those other beautiful movies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byNoseStuckInABook June 4, 2010

Yay for REAL Disney!

Mulan is a real Disney movie. Show this to your kids rather than Hannah Montana. While Mulan is a sword-wielding, strong female character, Miley is strutting around with Lady Gaga-like clothes in a music video. Despite the violence, Mulan is a family-friendly movie for all ages. The only warning I have is that the songs may be stuck in your head for ages! Not that that's such a bad thing...
Teen, 14 years old Written byKaty0 October 7, 2009

Very highly recommended.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrainwolf_thunder June 22, 2015

Probably the only good Disney movie

The animation is beautiful and the storyline is engaging. Although a lot more innocent than the original story, there is plenty of action. Mulan escapes her culture's female identity to make her own future while protecting her family and country. Great movie for independent females.
Teen, 14 years old Written byannikad June 13, 2015

good movie for children

Mulan is a very good movie for children, and I remember watching it as a young child myself. Although some scenes may scare very young children, it is appropriate for ages 5 and up. Bearing in mind that each child is different. Mulan contains some great messages and role models for children and will forever be considered a classic disney movie in my opinion.
Kid, 12 years old March 6, 2015

Excellent

This story covers all bases. It is very funny, and built on a well-told story. It is slightly perilous, but nothing that is too disturbing. I recommend having a parent watch it first, and never let a kid watch it by themselves.
Teen, 17 years old Written byHorace Williams December 13, 2014

Mulan is fantastic.

Once again, a Disney movie from Heaven. Mulan is funny, great plot, wonderful animation, and perfect acting.
Kid, 10 years old October 12, 2014

songs can be annoying but nice to watch

ok for kids but songs can be annoying
Kid, 11 years old May 11, 2014

Meh...

This movie is not too exciting anymore after you watch it a few times. It doesn't help that Mulan is basically a cross-dresser, or the Ancestors use adult jokes. Truth be told, I really liked Shan-Yu. I was him for our school play. Also, it doesn't help that they gave him a violent death. He was blown to Mongolian BBQ. But, for all it's faults, Mulan is a good movie.