All member reviews for Mulan

Disneyfied but dignified tale of Chinese warrior.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byslantmaster March 20, 2011

Mulan is the best disney 'princess'

This is a great movie for all children to watch. It encourages the viewers to overcome gender stereotyping and that women are capable of doing the same things men are. It is comedic and was among my favorite childhood movies, it is too bad that Mulan isn't exactly considered a 'disney princess' like the rest are. A good movie to watch.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySweetDisposition January 5, 2011

An inspiring Disney movie to end off Disney's greatest decade.

I first watched this movie at age 6- and I've loved it since! Yes, there is some violence, but the battles are carried out creatively (as in, not just straight up sword to sword, but there are some deaths.) Common sense overreacts a bit- It's just flirting, nothing more. Mulan herself is an amazing role model, my childhood was inspired through Disney movies such as this. And with a great soundtrack (who doesn't love 'I'll make a man out of you'?) Mulan is right up there with other Disney classics. Please, do your child a favor and show them this Disney. Not this Disney we have today.
Parent of a 10 and 10 year old Written bydavid.wallace June 4, 2011

Disney gets it right- again.

Mulan is a movie about a girl who pretends to be a guy so she can go to fight in the army to prevent her elderly father from fighting. Sensitive kids may be frightened by the main villain and a few fighting scenes... but they will take good messages from the movie. Throughout the movie Mulan learns to accept herself for who she is. Mulan is a movie about honor and integrity, despite Mulan pretending to be a guy. At times this movie can be corny for adults but overall Mulan is a movie the whole family can enjoy.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byCuseMom October 20, 2012

Rated PG in our opinion, but worth watching!

Even I was scared during the battle scenes, and the villain is SCARY! In my opinion, this is definitely a movie you'd want to watch WITH any child under the age of 10; however, the movie offers a wonderful lesson in being strong and following your "inner compass." We were all amazed by Mulan's bravery, strength, and intelligence. She is a true she-ro!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byKinbJune May 4, 2011

Mula Mula Mula

I found this to be a very entertaining movie. It was your typical Disney movie, but if a movie from Disney is animated, you know that it's going to be good, unlike Disney's live-action department. It was very funny, and I now understand the sexual jokes that the movie puts in here and there. It's funny and dramatic. It also shows some history from ancient China. The only thing I didn't like was the singing. It was repetitive and annoying. Other than that, great movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysusieboo November 7, 2010

Possibly the best Disney heroine yet!

I love this movie. Mulan is such a wonderful role model for girls. I enjoyed the heck out of this thing, as would any girl who's tried to do something that's considered guy stuff. A few historical inaccuracies, but it's Disney, what did you expect? Also, I think Common Sense was wrong when they say that "it's too bad that in the end she still needs to be married off to a "Prince Charming" who saves the day". So... inviting a friend to dinner qualifies as marriage now?
Adult Written byThepheonixcorp September 20, 2010

Im Hunnish, But im not a monster!

I hate how they don't talk about how the hunnish race is today, I'm catholic, I'm smart. I even take algebra, Im in the Civil air patrol, and signing up for the rotc! I am also an inventer who uses electricity for my project vehicles! Not all hunnish people are monsters. Look up Budapest online! You see anything bad? If you do tell me.
Kid, 11 years old June 18, 2014

BEST DISNEY MOVIE EVER!!!

Mulan is with no doubt BEST Disney movie ever! I usually love Disney movies, but (putting aside Brave and Mulan) the princesses/female leads are nearly always simpering, annoying brats waiting for their princes to come save them. ("OH, PRINCE CHARMING!") I saw a lot of Disney Princess movies when I was younger and loved them, then re-watched a lot of the Renessiance Age (sorry, can't spell it) and before Disney films and although still enjoyed the storylines and soundtracks, was appalled by how stupidly the women were portrayed. Movies in the Renessiance age (Pocahontas, Aladdin, The Lion King etc.,) weren't too bad but the 40s-80s were terrible. I saw Mulan when I was about five years old (about 2008 though it was released in 1998) and didn't really understand it and didn't like it much. It is a lot harder to comprehend (for kids 6 and under) than the likes of Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. They are basically: Everyone is happy. Tragedy strikes (usually parents die etc.,). Girl is now upset for many years. Prince/Male lead shows up. Prince/ML falls in love with Princess/FL. They all live happily ever after. Then I saw an advertisement for it when watching Sofia the First with my little sister (admittedly kind of more for me than her though!) on Disney Junior and remembered the movie so set it to record. I watched it last week (aged 11), then the next day, the two days after that, then three days, then yesterday and twice today. I'm addicted. I won't spoil the movie for you if you haven't seen it yet, but this is the basic storyline: At the beginning of the movie, Mulan (aged about 16 or 17) has to visit the Matchmaker to find a husband. This movie was set about a thousand years ago in Ancient China, so this was the normal routine. She is deemed unsuitable for marriage and so then thinks she has brought dishonour on her family. While preparing her to visit the Matchmaker a song is performed name "Honour To Us All" which is VERY sexist but don't turn the movie off yet. They are mocking the fact this actually happened and later on it gets better. There are many sexist songs but they are all ridiculing the people who actually take it seriously. Mulan sings a song named "Reflection" because she thinks she is not good enough. Later the Chinese prepare for war against the Huns (Mongolians). Mulan's is very old and injured but by law one man from each family has to fight. She later goes in his place (disobeying her parents, but it is for their own good). A hilarious (and tiny) dragon, Mushu, goes with her to try to bring her back after it is discovered she is missing. If I say anymore I will ruin the movie so enjoy :) The next song (which is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING) is named "I'll Make a Man Out Of You" and is also pretty sexist but it's obviously making fun of it (watch the movie). Another song "A Girl Worth Fighting For" is sexist because the men sing that they want their brides to be pretty and well dressed. Mulan is deeply offended by this and puts them right by saying girls with brains are better than girls with beauty but they dismiss this. Mulan is even better than the men at fighting and ends up SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT saving China. This is a great movie for both girls and boys, as well as being humourous and entertaining it will teach them girls are just as good as boys. I watched this with my three-year-old sister and seven-year-old brother, if you are watching this movie with children as young or younger as my sister prepare for some questions. She asked why girls weren't allowed to fight as well and why girls would be killed if they did. I explained that that was a long time ago and they could now, but it wasn't fair when they weren't. She pondered this then said that was mean and not fair. (I WAS SO PROUD!!! lol) Positive Messages: Girls can do everything boys can do, stand up for what you believe in Positive Role Models: Mulan: Stands up for what she thinks is right, challenges herself to make things better Shang: keeps going when things get tough, can change his ways Yao, Limg and the tall, overweight guy (Chein-Yo or something, I keep forgetting his name) (at the end of the movie): Teaches us that people are the same inside no matter what they look like on the outside. Violence: There is a bit (kicking, bamboo poles, swords, cannons) but this is I-Cell Animation so it's not that bad. Mulan is visibly wounded, but it is only this: she keels over with pain and lifts her hand to reveal a pool of blood on her clothing. I-Cell is not realistic so it is nothing to worry about. Sex: At the beginning of the movie Mulan has a bath but you can only see her shoulders, face and bare arms. In the middle she bathes in the lake, you can see the same and her bare calves when she emerges from the lake. The men then arrive (without Mulan knowing so this can't be counted as sexual, only nudity), you can see their bare chests, arms, legs and faces. During the song "I'll Make A Man Out Of You" Shang (male) is topless. Cursing: Mulan is called a treacherous snake, but that can't really be counted as cursing. Drugs, Alcohol & Smoking: Some cigarettes are smoked, but that was the custom in those days. Consumerism: It's China. 1500 years ago. Any products shown or mentioned would not be around today. No idea why Common Sense gave this 3/5.
Teen, 17 years old Written byUgli Chic February 6, 2011

"Yep, this one's a lucky one, all right!" ~Mulan's grandmother

One of the best Disney movies I've seen! Why don't they make ones like these anymore? Loved the songs and music. Mushu the dragon is HILARIOUS!!! Can't get enough of his 'dishonor' rant on Mulan, or his trouble-causing comments in army camp :) This movie is great; sort of pokes fun at old Chinese customs, such as the 'lucky cricket' concept, or going to the matchmaker. Also makes fun of army camp. No language to worry about; Mulan does run off to the army against her parents' wishes and against the law, but does not suffer for it until later; some battle scenes are intense, but not as dark as say, Jafar in Aladdin or Ursala in The Little Mermaid. Some characters get badly wounded in battle, but not too much blood is shown; one whole army is killed, but nothing shown but a few bodies and chariots. Shang does take off his shirt during army training, and Mulan seems to be interested. **SPOILER** near end, Mulan accidently wakes up in a tent when Shang is near with nothing but bandages around her waist and chest area; also, Mushu makes a joke near the beginning of movie. "My eyes can see straight thru your armor..." Other than that, nothing else. I had a great time watching this movie when I was young; I still have an infatuation of sword fighting. Hope you have the same fun I did!! ~Ugli Chic
Kid, 11 years old August 26, 2010

Some scenes just too scary.

I Like this show,but in some scenes,they shown some scary battlefield which have red sky,SCARY,CREEPY.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byMainemom87 February 21, 2010

A movie about a girl that boys will like!

My two boys love this movie. It has given us many chances to talk about how girls and boys can be heroic. They agree that most of the girls they know would rather be like Mulan than a princess. Also a good chance to talk about a culture with traditions very different from theirs. Sure, there are some fairly lame stereotypes in this film but I think the good far out weighs them.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybibliophile April 9, 2008

Wonderful Classic

I'm fifteen and still love this movie! Disney classics are the best movies out there, I don't care how good digital and 3D gets. Mulan has a little violence, but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING graphic, sexual, or profanity. I recommend this for ages 7+. Very good.
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

A Film that Brings Honor to the Disney Family

It's always refreshing to see a princess who has better things to do than wait around for a man, and Mulan is one of these. She certainly fits the "girl power" mold, but she tempers this with femininity, love of family, and a true desire to follow her culture's mores of honor. Her relationship with two living parents (rare in the Disney canon) is definitely worth noting, as is her growth as a character. As one reviewer noted, Mulan's story does revolve to some extent around rebellion against authority. In context, this is somewhat understandable; Mulan had very little choice, but it's worth discussing with kids that her decision was technically disobedient. Battle scenes will be disturbing for young children, as will the dialogue and appearance of the Huns. Judeo-Christian parents may want to discuss the motif of ancestor worship as well. But for those families ready to do so, this is an enjoyable film to watch.
Adult Written bybluejelloshots May 31, 2012

Mulan the Gender Bender

My favorite Disney film. The music is excellent--not the usual schlock that accompanies Disney plots. The Mulan character is funny, warm, likeable, brave and smart. The best thing about Mulan is that she doesn't do well at "girl" things that are narrowly defined in the film's version of Chinese culture. But she still succeeds because she is brilliant and brave. I love that she gives a role model to girls like I was...capable in things not honored in women by society.
Teen, 15 years old Written byOfficial Critic May 29, 2012

Mulan Review

Though Disney's animation department does deserve credit for shaking up its formula and delving into relatively mature drama, the movie is flawed in numerous aggravating ways.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written bylightworker23 February 20, 2011

Best Disney Movie Ever

Both my daughters and I love this movie. We watched it over and over when they were younger. The story, the characters, the songs, and of course Eddie Murphy as Mushu; even better than his Donkey. I also have to admit it's one of my all time favorite movies ever. A true girl power movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written by4kidshater June 7, 2010

A very good disney movie

I love this movie. It's my best movie ever. I like the dvd because it has a chinese(mandarin) language track. I like china, japan, korea, russia, and thailand. I wish every disney dvd had a chinese, japanese, korean, and thai language track. I like it. I highly recommeded it.
Kid, 12 years old December 15, 2009

should have beend rated PG for brief vilonce and peril.

The was good but i don't understand why with all that vilonce and peril they just gave it a G rateing. I think should have rated it PG for peril and BRIEF vilonce.
Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

One of the best Disney movies

This was my favourite Disney movie when I was little, and still is. I think it does a fantastic job telling the story, while keeping within the boundaries for the young ones. I remember finding the action in the movie, though moderate, very exciting and enthralling from when I was younger. Fantastic movie for all ages.
Adult Written bymaddox121 September 10, 2015

a violent but lowered down movie with bunch of gateway words

Violence-it's a war but 80% lowered down violence Language-Gateway words mostly said by the dragon including "frybags"