All member reviews for My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Perfect sleepover movie for tweens (and moms!).

Teen, 14 years old Written bylivvy314 January 4, 2011

best movie ever!

i love this movie!! one of my all time favorite movies! i have probably seen it a hundred times! great movie for sleepovers or family night. it has some bad refrences but young kids wont get it so its not a big deal. its a great, funny movie! it also teaches you that no matter what culture or race you are if your in love with someone then that shouldn't stop you.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySwrilCD87 April 9, 2008

Teen, 15 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Loved It!

I loved this show it was sooooo funny!!! But Probley not for little kids. It will make you Laugh so hard! Two thumbs up!!!
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian January 1, 2013

A Wedding You'll RSVP to Over and Over Again

"My Big Fat Greek Wedding" is a lighthearted romantic comedy with plenty of Greek spice. Toula provides a good example of how to buck family traditions the right way: she follows her heart, but tries not to hurt her family, apologizes when she does, and still loves and values them and their culture. The romance between her and Ian is also refreshing to watch, and Ian is a good example of how guys should treat the girls they love. Toula's huge family provides plenty of good laughs and hijinks, with quotable lines that will worm their way into your family (you'll never look at Windex the same way again). Premarital sex between Toula and Ian is heavily implied, which warrants discussion for families that don't condone this. Toula's cousin Nikki shows cleavage at every opportunity and prominently "adjusts" her breasts. A flurry of profanities mar the first scenes, and Jesus' name is abused a couple of times. Grandma indulges in a beer, and Ian's parents get drunk at a Portakolas party featuring ouzo. For these reasons, don't invite your kids to the wedding. Teens, though, should be fine.
Teen, 14 years old Written bythundermuffin May 27, 2012

Great movie, but little kids will not understand it

I am Greek! Anyway, I saw this movie when I was 6 years old and didn't like it because I didn't understand it. My entire family would be cracking up and I would get frustrated because I didn't understand the humor. So there's really no inappropriate things (brief, mild, non-graphic bed scene) but younger kids will probably not appreciate it. It wasn't until I was 10 or 11 that I actually started liking this movie and it became one of my favorites of all time!!!!
Parent of an infant, 11, 12, and 12 year old Written byafranks76 August 19, 2009

Hahahaha!..Sorry it's just too funny!

This movie is SO funny! I think I have watch about 8 times and it never becomes less funny. After their first date, the main character and the man she falls in love with kiss, their kiss escalates until they are making-out. Also on I think a month after they start dating they go to his apartment and you see him standing by the couch and she "pounces" on him and it is implied they have sex. Also when he asks her to marry him, he is shirtless and she is in a bra on top of him in bed. That's it, ENJOY the movie! I recommend this movie for kid and adults ages 5+. Be warned for kids about 7-10 may raise questions.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAlinaW. March 20, 2010

Awesome family movie . . .

Really cute movie about a Greek-American family, and their response to marrige . . . My entire family loved it when we watched it a while back, even my dad and (at the time) 8 year old sister. It was a cute movie to watch on a rainy night!
Parent of a 12 year old Written bytealsweety July 16, 2009

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion June 18, 2009

Funny, But Too Short to Become Invested...

MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING is funny, but is too short for us to become emotionally invested in it. We never really care about the characters or situations, and that makes this an inferior romantic comedy compared to SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE and YOU'VE GOT MAIL. However, it is cute and funny, and a good choice to kids. There is one mild, brief sexual situation in addition to some light innuendos. Ian and Toula drive home every night (he usually drops her off at her house), but one night they go to his apartment, and he invites her in. She considers a moment, then accepts, and we see them kiss passionately (standing up), then she pushes him down on a couch (out of view) and pounces on him. After that scene, we see them in bed together twice (clothed, except that he's shirtless), but no action goes on. The innuendos include stuff like "Greek women are tigers in the bedroom". A man who can't understand Greek tries to say something nice twice, but both times ends up saying something else: "I have three testicles" and "nice boobs". There are a few "a*s"s and "d**n"s.
Kid, 11 years old January 13, 2015

Excellent movie

Educator and Parent Written byDanMooreDesigns May 28, 2014

Surprising Language

Contrary to the site's review, this movie is peppered with mild profanity.
Written byAnonymous February 28, 2014

All around perfect movie!

One of my favorites! Makes you wish you had a big fat greek family! Constant funny remarks, great plot, nothing inappropriate for parents to worry about. Just an all around perfect chick flick!
Teen, 13 years old Written byover-analyze August 5, 2013

Humor for Adults & Kids

My Big Fat Greek Wedding has comedy for both kids and adults, making this a great family movie. It does have minor cursing, drinking, and smoking. Also, some crude humor, and non graphic sexual content. It does have good role models, and positive messages too, making this a very encouraging movie. It shows that no matter what race you are, we are all the same in the end, and family is who you are, you can't avoid it, so enjoy it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBandit16 April 5, 2013

Connections to real life!!

This movie is great for tweens and up. Toula's family is a lot like my family, only Greek and funnier ( my family is Italian)!
Teen, 14 years old Written byCool Kid Reviewer December 1, 2012

Not Bad... Not Great

This movie was interesting... I mean it wash't bad, but no great, in my opinion. The usual plot: Girl meets Guy, they fall in love, parents don't approve, but in the end they live happily ever after type of thing. So in some ways Toula could be a positive role model, but she tries to change herself, not a bad thing, but she kind of wonders off from herself when she sees "him". But then that is also what makes her do what she has always wanted to do. She learns to live a little, go outside her comfort zone. Over all funny, but not a must see.
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy November 20, 2012

Yep,it's perfect.

Wonderful movie.It's romantic,and just flat out fun to watch.I remember eating a bowl of mac and cheese at aunt's house while watching this movie.Also,a few minutes ago,I find out that JEDI micah (who I agree with A LOT) found out that most of the time,we have the same opinions on a lot of stuff.He asked me why I have similar opinions to his,(he found out about my T.U.F.F. Puppy review,clicked on my profile,and found out our similar opinions),so one day,before I joined CSM,I was looking for at the adult review section of a horrible TV show Level Up,saw his review,and I agreed with him 100%.So I looked at his reviews,and while I disagreed on a few of them,I agreed with plenty of them.So I decided to join CSM,and review some of the shows he reviewed.Everytime I look on his profile,I look at the review,and see if I agree or not.Most of the time,I agree.Some other times,I disagree.But hey,it's pretty cool on how I agree with heaps of his reviews.
Kid, 12 years old September 4, 2012

totally awesome!

This is a must see movie!! It was hallarious! There was hardly anything bad in it, and it is a great family movie, i watched it with my great grandma and my friend and they loved it!
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 5, 2012

my big fat greek wedding

Families can talk about cultural differences. Do your kids know any families where the couples come from different backgrounds? How have those differences created problems or new opportunities for new, blended traditions? Why does Toula have a hard time telling her family how she feels? How does this family compare to others that you know or have seen in other movies, or to your own? Does your family have a combination of ethnic cultures, and what are some of the issues that have come up in meshing them?
Kid, 11 years old February 4, 2012

Fun!

A sweet, funny chick-flick. Unlike other wedding comedies, it's not chock-full of sexy stuff or anything else. Two characters get drunk during one scene.