All member reviews for My Girl

Coming of age tale tackles death; for older kids.

2 cool

this movie was so cool. i cried every time i saw it. it was sensational, funny, and sad.it was so sad when tomas.j died. i cried my eyes out. i saw it last night and i still cried. i cant wait till i see it agin I LOVED IT!
Kid, 11 years old April 15, 2009

this movie is based on a song
Teen, 13 years old Written byxskittlesx August 21, 2011

Touching, Moving Film for Mature KIds

I'm thirteen and I bawled at this movie! It is so moving and touching, and touches on a very important subject. Spoiler::: When Thomas J. died looking for Vada's ring, I cried my eyes out. There are such sweet characters, and its a great film. Must see! Just make sure your kids can handle the mature death theme.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byshanghaiang December 23, 2010

Sweet movie that touches on a lot of life lessons

A sweet movie that touches on a lot of issues: Death of a parent, boy/girl friendship, feeling different, communication and death of a friend. Make sure your child is mature enough to handle the latter or this may not be the movie for them.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBestPicture1996 June 19, 2010

Very sad, yet effective

The name "My Girl" isn't just using the Temptations' song to promote the film, it refers to all the relationships crawling around this deeply impacting film. The kids say things that real kids say all the time, it's also very funny. Watch it, please!
Teen, 13 years old Written byRiverRose July 9, 2014

This movie was heartbreaking- just heartbreaking

I went into watching this looking for a movie that would be good and not as long as Titanic, my other option. This movie had so much depth, so much emotion, and so many layers. Vada is a hypochondriac- due to the fact that she lives in a funeral home, her father is getting remarried, she gets her first period, and her best friend dies. At one point, sex is illuded, though not said right out "My mommy and daddy did that?" "Yes, but without it there would be on Vada" The real trial is when Thomas J. dies, the grief will make you sob and howl. I would not personally let my future children watch this until they are at least my age, possibly older if they are very emotional. When Vada was first told about Thomas J., tears welled up in my eyes. Before long I was full out sobbing- this movie illustrates beautifully what it must be like to lose a close friend- especially when you lost your mother os early on.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 14, 2011

my mom watched it and she liked and she told me to watch it so i did an i liked it but it was sad when the one kid died
Teen, 13 years old Written by9001 April 2, 2010

Iffy for ages 12-14

This was a great movie, but it was extremely sad. I don't think this movie is suitable for anyone under 12.
Parent Written byJAAS June 13, 2014

Fantastic tween and teen movie

Great movie!! The one thing that isn't noted in the description is that the main character gets her period.
Adult Written bywonder dove December 8, 2012

Cute classic!

My Girl is a bittersweet coming-of-age drama that deals with a lot of real life issues, death being the focus of the story. Vada is a mature pre-teen (11) who lost her mother during birth and is living with her father who runs a funeral home which often frightens Vada. Vada has strong issues with death. She's confused and seems unhappy most of the time. She dislikes her fathers new love interest and she's in love with a school teacher. She spends her days with her best friend Thomas J. (Macaulay Culkin) who she eventually has her first kiss with. Thomas develops feelings for Vada and after losing her ring, he secretly finds it for her hoping to surprise her with it. A tragedy takes place which changes Vada and the world around her. Highly depressing movie, I cried like a baby when I watched it as a kid. I tear up like crazy during this film. Not much violence except a bunch of bees attacking a child and also a punch to the stomach. Quite a bit of mild sexual content includes a first kiss between tweens as well as talking about kissing, Vada gets her first period and talks about some girl stuff with her new mom-to-be. Lots of dating references between adults, slow dancing and kissing scenes by adults, a few romantic settings (late night walks, fireworks, holding hands). Language is fairly mild but there are a couple sh*ts used by adults, also retard, moron, @ss, stupid. There is one comment about lighting a joint that is said during a poem. The sequel isn't as intense, it mostly deals with Vada finding more information about her mother and what she was like. I would not recommend sensitive children to view this movie, but it's good family material for kids 12 and up.
Kid, 8 years old December 29, 2011

This is better than it looks

SPOILERS! Good and sad movie. It gets sad once Thomas dies around the end.
Kid, 12 years old December 2, 2010

It's definitly a good movie:)

I really loved it but there is a dying scene and I cried but it had great messages I definitly think. You definitly need to be older so you can understand it younger people may not quite get it and find it boring.
Kid, 12 years old November 11, 2010

Buddies Never Die

This movie is one of my very few M.T.M.M.C.(Movies That Made Me Cry) movies. The messages in this film are very comforting, espespecially to one who has lost a loved one like myself (MY best friend died in 2006, and this movie helped me out BIG time).
Teen, 14 years old Written bylilalovelylily September 24, 2010

:-(

This movie makes me cry every time, I love it. But I can't watch it due to the fact I can't stop crying. I'm tearing now writing about. I love the story line of a first chrush. I also like the movie Flipped. Although I haven't saw it.

Teen, 17 years old Written bykaylababy April 9, 2008

So sad!

It is an awesome movie but it is not very good for people under the age of about 9. It is very sad and it might make them think that they are going to die from being around bees. But if you are older it is an awesome movie and you should watch it!
Parent Written bygeneralbanana June 9, 2015

Saddest movie ever

This movie contained mentions of death and was extremely sad.
Teen, 13 years old Written byquinns November 4, 2014

Wonderfully heartbreaking

I just watched this movie and I can't stop sobbing! Although it was sad, the acting was great and the plot was wonderful. Overall great movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written bycheesymovie567 October 4, 2014