Parent reviews for My Little Pony: The Movie (2017)

Positive messages, some scary stuff in sweet, sparkly romp.

Parent of a 3 year old Written byTara W. February 7, 2018

Love it!

I loved this movie and so did my daughter. The villains are a bit intense, so consider that if your kid is more sensitive (think like the level of classic Disney villains). But it was not a problem for us. We saw it in the theater and now have it on DVD and she would watch it every single day if I let her. The main villain (who is far less scary than his henchman pony that is featured more prominently) does actually die, so be aware of that if it’s an issue. The characters work together and are kind to others and that isn’t how they win the day. My absolute favorite part is that the pony who has a broken horn (which caused her friends to shun her which led to being a villain) realizes that she is just fine as she is, instead of having the ponies use magic to “fix” her. The music is great, the movie is fun, and I don’t even mind that now she wants everybody single pony thing in existence. I like the idea of her playing with those because it’s about the personalities and not dressing up a certain way. And any kid can be any character they want, it doesn’t turn into “well you don’t have blonde hair so you’re not that princess.” I’m very glad I gave this movie a shot.

Adult Written byManson M. October 19, 2017

appropraite

My little one loved it

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byNatalie D. November 10, 2017

Too scary for their target audience

I just took my 4 year old daughter to see this today. I usually check common sense media before we see a movie, but I didn't think I would need to with My Little Pony since she watches the show and it's so innocent. Boy was I wrong! As other people have said, it was way too scary. I think the target audience for My Little Pony is probably 3-5, and I think the movie is way too scary for that age group. My daughter said several times that she didn't like it and wanted to leave during the scary parts, and there were lots of them. The funny, cute, happy, and sweet parts (what you'd expect of My Little Pony) were few and far between and definitely overshadowed by the sad, mean, and scary parts. I did like the music. And at the end my daughter did say she liked it, but I'm not sure we'll ever watch it again.
Adult Written byJulian S. October 16, 2017

Great movie

Thought over all was very good!!

Parent Written byShelly H. May 21, 2018

Depressing

Couldn’t even finish this movie- the sad faces and sad music was so depressing, we ejected the disc and returned it to target. I don’t see how anyone ever thought this movie would be enjoyable for kids- or adults for that matter.
Parent Written byKenny S. February 10, 2018

Not for young children.

Very frightening characters and scenes throughout. Not for young children. Very disappointing. 10 Years+

Parent Written byDonovan O. October 18, 2017
Parent Written byWadi T. June 10, 2018

Parent Written byAmanda G. March 26, 2018

Too disturbing for little ones.

This i meant to be a KIDS movie and all the evil people if you were to watch it before bed time and, with the family. either way it had a message to never give up and the how to believe in yourself its OK.

Adult Written byAwesomePerson1996 March 19, 2018

I Enjoyed The Movie, But Here's Where It Went Wrong

Aside from the positive messages and stuff, I think it went wrong in a couple of places. I think it went wrong when Twilight Sparkle was trying to take the orb from the hypogriffs without permission during the song "One Small Thing," and when she yelled at her friends. I understand that she didn't wanna let her guard down, but it's still not a good message to send to kids. In my opinion, this movie's more for the older fans of MLP.
Uncle of a 12 year old Written byandreiairiscord... January 30, 2018

Let's go Brony!!! :D

yesh little tweens kids like it mlp

Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written byRenaK January 20, 2018

Kids enjoyed it and so did I

If you or your kids have watched My Little Pony cartoons then you know that the characters are put into some tense situations that they have to work together to get out of. I found that this movie stuck very close to the show's premise of friendship and acceptance. It is also about believing that a "person" is worth a second chance. My 7 year old was tense during the confrontational and action moments, but she loved the movie so it really depends on your child.