All parent member reviews for My Neighbor Totoro

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byamandolin December 14, 2013

Good movie

When my kids were younger they took issue with the mother being sick and when Mei is lost, but they still liked it.
Parent Written byAPAdam August 2, 2013

Top Notch Film for Kids

Educator Written byunikkorns March 13, 2013

Overall Fun Movie

We were learning about Japan for my Afterschool Program, and I picked this movie because of the reviews I read here. The kids seemed to enjoy it overall. I heard them laughing a lot, and I've never seem them so engaged in a movie we've watched. A couple of things others should know is that I did have a scared 5-year-old at one point, so kids may need a little comforting during the movie. There's also a scene where the father takes a bath with his 2 daughters, which is apparently not weird in Japan. They show one of the character's bottoms in that scene. That would have been nice to know beforehand. One of the 10-year-olds brought it up to me and I diffused it, but it was still not a pleasant surprise. There's also a storyline about the mother being sick, but it's not too serious and everything seems to end on a positive note.
Parent Written bySweekune February 11, 2013

An excellent film

A lovely film for all ages. Unlike Disney's offering, My Neighbour Totoro offers a laid back film with insight into Japanese culture. It is about two girls who move to the countryside to be nearer their mother whilst she is in hospital. They meet and become friends with some adorable "trolls" (totoro is the Japanese word for troll but they resemble large rabbits). The film is about their adventures together.
Parent Written byaimless1 December 29, 2012

Awesome and sweet movie!

Our family LOVES this movie. It is funny and gets more endearing each time you watch it. The first time I watched it I don't think I really "got" it just because I think it feels different than the American animated movies. I can watch it over and over again and find more humor each time.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byzamoeba June 23, 2012

A winning family moive

A wonderful family movie! It takes real talent to create a captivating tale without a bad guy -- but this film has nailed it. The value of family and friendship, coupled with adventure, imagination, and magic made this gentle story a real winner at our house. Families should know that the mother in the story is ill and in the hospital, which might be uncomfortable, depending on your family situation.
Parent Written byMattSkelly May 6, 2012

Magical Totoro—and Catbus!

A magical, sweet movie. Some scary moments—a lost child, a sick mom—but handled better than most children's media. Totoro and Catbus are memorable, for kids and adults.
Parent Written byLadyDarling April 30, 2012

Great first movie for a toddler!

My husband and I watched this movie with our 2 year old. He absolutely LOVED it. I don't believe there is anything scary at all in this movie that would frighten a 2 year old. My little one was all smiles the whole time. We loved how Mei and Satsuki were independent and brave. Their mother is in the hospital, but they never show anything bad or scary during those parts. My little one loves Totoro and talks about Mei and Satsuki all the time. We love this movie!
Parent Written byayokat March 24, 2012

wonderful, loving Totoro is a winner!

our whole family loves this film! our 4 year old gets a little bit anxious, but in the end we all end up laughing out loud, teary eyed and loving the mystical/spiritual beauty of this family and community as depicted in this movie.
Parent Written byelgallo February 16, 2012

A wonderful movie.

My sons absolutely love this movie. It is sweet and entertaining; and opened up topics on conversation about how people live on other other countries, agriculture, kindness towards others and nature.
Adult Written byMsCyn December 29, 2011

If you're looking for the perfect family movie that you and your kids will enjoy, here it is.

This movie is extremely underrated. My absolute favourite animated movie. It captures the magical, adventurous nature of children wonderfully, so that children of all ages can relate and enjoy. Awesome story line, cute characters, good message, completely original. No violence, bad guys, or anything of the sort- any sadness is dealt with softly and appropriately. Recommended for children and adults of all ages. You will not be dissapointed. NOTE: I reccomend the original version (english, not Japanese of course), not the newer Disney version.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bykarinajohnson November 27, 2011

A good movie for all ages.

A good movie. Not scary at all, not even for my preschooler. It presents many good role models and positive messages. Very highly recomended!
Parent Written bykrog family September 30, 2011

Just know your kids- LOVED It

We love Hayao Miyazaki's family films... there is the sickness and my 5 yr old is very sensitive. And totoro is a spirit or sprite type creature. Both my kids loved the cat but he is a bit scary looking. Overall we love this movie just know your kids. Some may have trouble with the mom being ill and the sprite aspect.
Parent of a 11 and 11 year old Written byResponibleParentOf2 July 12, 2011

Film has cute appeal but was made with young adults in mind.

My husband and I enjoyed this film, but we both agreed we wouldn't be showing our sons this until they were at least 15 or 16. The creatures would be frightening for them, despite their innocent nature. This film was rated incorrectly; it should be instead rated PG-13 for the mature themes and frightening images. It's a great date night film, but not a film for young kids or teens.
Parent Written bydarianr July 7, 2011

Great female role models

This is a great story with good female role models which is not so easy to find.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bykaloren June 12, 2011

Wonderful adventure with cuddly creatures

I loved this film when I first saw it in Taiwan. I couldn't wait to share it with my girls. They love it too. The older one likes it because it has animation and characters like Pokemon. The youngest loved the little girl and her misadventures in the film. Even my parents have enjoyed watching this with the girls. It does get sad at times when they talk about the sick mother, but it has a happy ending. The cat bus is a bit scary at first, but then the kids realize it's the next best thing to a witch's broom or Santa's sleigh.
Parent Written by3Kmom June 9, 2011

Totoro is awesome!

My favorite movie for young kids. Beautiful animation. Sweet, imaginative story.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byletticepalmer May 30, 2011

Gentle Magic But Serious Drama

The very mellow pace of this film made it a good pick for my 2 year old son, who otherwise has very little exposure to TV and movies. He enjoyed this film thoroughly, however, I'm not sure he really understood the part about the mother in the hospital. I would imagine that there are elements in this film that would be a bit scarier for a kid who is old enough to understand the full scope of the story. Nevertheless, the drama is so gentle that it is almost impossible for me to imagine a film that is more appropriate for almost all ages.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byLila Jo May 1, 2011

A very good movie.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bySlschiller April 19, 2011

Good movie but some emotional intensity

I agree with some of the other reviews that say common sense down plays the emotional intensity of the movie. The little sister gets lost and there are some intense moments were they fear she has drowned. The older sister expresses her fear that her mother may die. Things do resolve in the end but my 7 and 5 year old were a little upset by it. I'm glad I was there to explain to them