All parent member reviews for My Neighbor Totoro

Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 30, 2015

Studio ghibli Makes yet another nice Film for me..

A very imaginative and creative Film.. The Film wasn’t to bad and would be A perfect film the whole family can enjoy...
Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written byDuckfloss January 9, 2015

Odd and funny that literally all ages will enjoy

My 11- and 10-year-olds enjoyed this movie as much as I did. It's sweet and simple, but also a little bit weird. There isn't much action or even plot, but it's still engaging.
Parent Written byScratchDad November 3, 2014

So sweet, fun, and beautiful. One of the best animated films if not best films ever

A staple in our home that just gets better on further viewings. My son has been watching since he was 3 and my daughter 4. The fantasy mixed with real life family worries I think really makes this stick for kids. The "spirit world" characters are captivating and gentle. The relations between the parents and children are tender. The siblings fight but their love for each other is moving too. Since the film deals with the stresses of an ill and absent parent many adults will probably let a few tears slip out. Artistically, the movie is a milestone for animated films and really one of the greatest movies period. There's not a lot reasons to avoid showing this kids under 4 IMHO.
Parent of an infant and 7 year old Written byBlueAngel19thirty May 4, 2014

Best baby gift we ever received!

This was given to us as a late baby shower gift. My husband and I watched it and fell in love with Totoro. Often times we would opt to pop this in the dvd player for our oldest child (age 2ish at the time) instead of relying on cartoons on tv. 5 years later and it's still her favorite movie. We've had many discussions about the Japanese culture, how important the environment is and how important family is. All Miyazaki fills are great, but IMO this one is the best.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byjinx-wolf March 21, 2014
Parent Written byRedLibertine February 9, 2014

Really lovely film, quirky and offbeat...nice change from Disney princess !

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byamandolin December 14, 2013

Good movie

When my kids were younger they took issue with the mother being sick and when Mei is lost, but they still liked it.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byYogaMommy September 7, 2013

Our movie night favorite!

This is one of our family's all time favorites. Beautiful animation and a fun, engaging story make this a lovely film. There is no romance and no action adventure. The scenes move slowly enough for sensitive and young viewers. Totoro himself is a big, friendly animal. His roaring could be perceived as scary, but the girls' lack of fear seemed to be enough reassurance for my 4-year-old daughter. He actually roars when he is happy. There is a scene in which the little girl, Mei, is lost, but it is not treated with an atmosphere of great peril - no foreboding music or evil villains. Masterfully dubbed-over in English, this film also provides great exposure to Japanese culture.
Parent Written byAPAdam August 2, 2013

Top Notch Film for Kids

Educator Written byunikkorns March 13, 2013

Overall Fun Movie

We were learning about Japan for my Afterschool Program, and I picked this movie because of the reviews I read here. The kids seemed to enjoy it overall. I heard them laughing a lot, and I've never seem them so engaged in a movie we've watched. A couple of things others should know is that I did have a scared 5-year-old at one point, so kids may need a little comforting during the movie. There's also a scene where the father takes a bath with his 2 daughters, which is apparently not weird in Japan. They show one of the character's bottoms in that scene. That would have been nice to know beforehand. One of the 10-year-olds brought it up to me and I diffused it, but it was still not a pleasant surprise. There's also a storyline about the mother being sick, but it's not too serious and everything seems to end on a positive note.
Parent Written bySweekune February 11, 2013

An excellent film

A lovely film for all ages. Unlike Disney's offering, My Neighbour Totoro offers a laid back film with insight into Japanese culture. It is about two girls who move to the countryside to be nearer their mother whilst she is in hospital. They meet and become friends with some adorable "trolls" (totoro is the Japanese word for troll but they resemble large rabbits). The film is about their adventures together.
Educator and Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byTV free family January 9, 2013

Beautiful, gentle and soothing

Most adults find the dust bunnies and Totoro creepy but for some reason, the children don't. This is the magic of Miyazaki, he has a way to draw children in sweet gentle stories that only they really get, since adults are all too concerned with fear and danger. The only somewhat concerning part for the children is when the younger sister disappears. My 6 year-old was quite worried the first time. But the worry is not about strangers, only about where she might be and when she will be found. All strangers are nice and helpful in the movie. Whenever I watch this movie with my boys (now 6 and 9, but we first saw it 3 years ago) I am reminded that their world is one of love and kindness everywhere they go. For them, strangers are always nice, caring people, even if they are dark fuzzy flying "things" or huge "monsters" like Totoro. How soothing to be in a world like that for a few precious moments. I highly recommend this movie.
Parent Written byaimless1 December 29, 2012

Awesome and sweet movie!

Our family LOVES this movie. It is funny and gets more endearing each time you watch it. The first time I watched it I don't think I really "got" it just because I think it feels different than the American animated movies. I can watch it over and over again and find more humor each time.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byzamoeba June 23, 2012

A winning family moive

A wonderful family movie! It takes real talent to create a captivating tale without a bad guy -- but this film has nailed it. The value of family and friendship, coupled with adventure, imagination, and magic made this gentle story a real winner at our house. Families should know that the mother in the story is ill and in the hospital, which might be uncomfortable, depending on your family situation.
Parent Written byMattSkelly May 6, 2012

Magical Totoro—and Catbus!

A magical, sweet movie. Some scary moments—a lost child, a sick mom—but handled better than most children's media. Totoro and Catbus are memorable, for kids and adults.
Parent Written byLadyDarling April 30, 2012

Great first movie for a toddler!

My husband and I watched this movie with our 2 year old. He absolutely LOVED it. I don't believe there is anything scary at all in this movie that would frighten a 2 year old. My little one was all smiles the whole time. We loved how Mei and Satsuki were independent and brave. Their mother is in the hospital, but they never show anything bad or scary during those parts. My little one loves Totoro and talks about Mei and Satsuki all the time. We love this movie!
Parent of a 3 year old Written byLtTawnyMadison April 19, 2012

Wonderful film for ALL ages

I'm not sure why CSM put the age on this so high. I myself love this film and I think it's fine for toddlers. My daughter has loved Totoro (and another Miyazaki film, Ponyo) since she was 2 1/2. She is quite sensitive and nothing in this film was scary or disturbing to her even at that age. Totoro and Ponyo are very rare in that they are films that adults can enjoy right along with young children!
Parent Written byayokat March 24, 2012

wonderful, loving Totoro is a winner!

our whole family loves this film! our 4 year old gets a little bit anxious, but in the end we all end up laughing out loud, teary eyed and loving the mystical/spiritual beauty of this family and community as depicted in this movie.
Parent Written byelgallo February 16, 2012

A wonderful movie.

My sons absolutely love this movie. It is sweet and entertaining; and opened up topics on conversation about how people live on other other countries, agriculture, kindness towards others and nature.
Adult Written byMsCyn December 29, 2011

If you're looking for the perfect family movie that you and your kids will enjoy, here it is.

This movie is extremely underrated. My absolute favourite animated movie. It captures the magical, adventurous nature of children wonderfully, so that children of all ages can relate and enjoy. Awesome story line, cute characters, good message, completely original. No violence, bad guys, or anything of the sort- any sadness is dealt with softly and appropriately. Recommended for children and adults of all ages. You will not be dissapointed. NOTE: I reccomend the original version (english, not Japanese of course), not the newer Disney version.