All parent member reviews for My Neighbor Totoro

Parent of a 5 year old Written bySlschiller April 19, 2011

Good movie but some emotional intensity

I agree with some of the other reviews that say common sense down plays the emotional intensity of the movie. The little sister gets lost and there are some intense moments were they fear she has drowned. The older sister expresses her fear that her mother may die. Things do resolve in the end but my 7 and 5 year old were a little upset by it. I'm glad I was there to explain to them
Parent of a 6 year old Written byjavamama926 March 11, 2011

great movie for 4+ kids

This is a wonderful movie. I agree with the review that parents may not like the amount of freedom the girls have to run around on their own. My daughter saw this when she was 4 and loved it. The nice thing about Miyazaki's movies are that they are not the non-stop, fast-paced movies/cartoons in the U.S. so kids have to pay a little more attention. I'm surprised, though, how still my daughter sat to watch it (she typically doesn't stop moving). However, I think those 3 and under would have a harder time sitting still for the movie.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written bylightworker23 February 20, 2011

One of the Best Kids Movies Ever

In a sea of G and PG movies that are too scary & intense (because they're made to appeal to adults & older kids) it's so wonderful to find Totoro. Both my 8 and 13 year-olds love this movie and have watched it over and over again.
Parent of a 4, 4, and 7 year old Written bymagasalee December 27, 2010

Parent of a 4 year old Written byRebrandSoftware December 18, 2010

Pefect for intelligent 3 year olds with a good attention span

I watched this with my (almost) 3 year old daughter and she loved it. She was never bored, but maybe briefly scared in a hide-behind-dad-for-a-moment kind of way. She's also a huge fan of Ponyo so I thought more Studio Ghibli might be appropriate. She has already asked to see it again, and I love to show her real films that will create lasting memories instead of throwaway children's junk, so I'm happy.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byalhj October 2, 2010

Parent Written bymyab September 17, 2010

A Don't Miss Movie w/ Positive Messages

An excellent film for family movie night. A loving father who works hard, siblings, friends, and neighbors who care for each other, and the idea that not everything that looks different is a monster. Beautiful animation, scary situations handled gently and sensibly, and lots of imaginative characters and happenings that are enchanting. Nothing objectionable for any age; even the mother's illness is dealt with carefully. I say 5 years up because the softness of the story might seem boring to a much younger child. Watch this and you won't be disappointed.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byJsMum July 25, 2010

A Charmingly Real Fantasy

While this is a fantasy, and involves supernatural creatures and events, it is remarkably real in it's portrayal of the inner life, and the inner fantasy life, of young children. The characters are believable and easy to like. Their concerns and joys are ones even young children can understand and share. After several years in my son's rotation, I have yet to tire of watching this lovely movie.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byRYD June 27, 2010

Great movie for ages 5+

My kids (ages 5 and 8) really loved this movie! It's sweet, has a good message (family is important, especially sisters) and is entertaining for everyone, even parents. Really enjoyed this film.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byonceacarpenter May 18, 2010

perfect for the youngest children

Absolutely cute movie for little kids. I enjoy it too, but my 6yo thinks it is boring now. That might be mostly because we watched it so many times!
Adult Written byClock March 30, 2010

One of the best movies ever, for all ages.

If I ever have kids, this is one movie that I have to show them. It's just an all around feel-good experience. What are you waiting for? Go see it!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bymattsdad February 22, 2010

Japanese Anime meets Alice In Wonderland

Japanese Anime meets Alice In Wonderland (not the Tim Burton version!) ... that's the way I think of Totoro. Unusually artistic and lots of attention to detail.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byskwarepeg November 6, 2009

Well-made, endearing film for kids & adults

My daughter and I both love love love this movie. We can both watch it over & over.... My doing so says more than hers, though, I suppose. ;) The animation, the story, the relationships, the imagination behind the story and characters/objects... all make this a heart-warming, timeless, endearing film. I wish every movie for children were at least a little bit more like this. I also fell in love with Elle Fanning (see her in _Phoebe in Wonderland_ -- not for kids) from this movie. She and sister Dakota do the voices for Satsuki (Dakota) and Mei (Elle). I was concerned the ill mother or Mei running off might be bothersome for my sensitive daughter, but it is handled so sensitively -- and not at all "Hollywood-ized," exploited, or otherwise over-dramatized -- that she just rolls with it. I highly recommend it as a quality movie for both parents and kids.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byJothe October 16, 2009

Pleasant Surprise

I thought my 2 YO would not sit through it, especially as it is not action-packed, but it definitely held his attention. I think the kids in the movie are so true to life that mine could totally relate to them. A nice, imaginative film with none of the wiseacre humor so prevalent in so many of today's pop movies.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byCSM Screen Name... October 2, 2009

Great for all ages, including adults.

Fantastic movie! My kids watch this one over and over again. It's a little scary when the younger girl disappears trying to get to the hospital by herself, but that doesn't last long and has a fine resolution. Their mother's stay in the hospital is handled well.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 26, 2009

very sad but very good

very sad in some parts.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byMartinC August 25, 2009

Totoro !!!

My two boys love this movie!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byTheMoopies August 18, 2009