All parent member reviews for My Neighbor Totoro

Parent of a 3 year old Written byLtTawnyMadison April 19, 2012

Wonderful film for ALL ages

I'm not sure why CSM put the age on this so high. I myself love this film and I think it's fine for toddlers. My daughter has loved Totoro (and another Miyazaki film, Ponyo) since she was 2 1/2. She is quite sensitive and nothing in this film was scary or disturbing to her even at that age. Totoro and Ponyo are very rare in that they are films that adults can enjoy right along with young children!
Parent Written byayokat March 24, 2012

wonderful, loving Totoro is a winner!

our whole family loves this film! our 4 year old gets a little bit anxious, but in the end we all end up laughing out loud, teary eyed and loving the mystical/spiritual beauty of this family and community as depicted in this movie.
Parent Written byelgallo February 16, 2012

A wonderful movie.

My sons absolutely love this movie. It is sweet and entertaining; and opened up topics on conversation about how people live on other other countries, agriculture, kindness towards others and nature.
Adult Written byMsCyn December 29, 2011

If you're looking for the perfect family movie that you and your kids will enjoy, here it is.

This movie is extremely underrated. My absolute favourite animated movie. It captures the magical, adventurous nature of children wonderfully, so that children of all ages can relate and enjoy. Awesome story line, cute characters, good message, completely original. No violence, bad guys, or anything of the sort- any sadness is dealt with softly and appropriately. Recommended for children and adults of all ages. You will not be dissapointed. NOTE: I reccomend the original version (english, not Japanese of course), not the newer Disney version.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bykarinajohnson November 27, 2011

A good movie for all ages.

A good movie. Not scary at all, not even for my preschooler. It presents many good role models and positive messages. Very highly recomended!
Parent Written bykrog family September 30, 2011

Just know your kids- LOVED It

We love Hayao Miyazaki's family films... there is the sickness and my 5 yr old is very sensitive. And totoro is a spirit or sprite type creature. Both my kids loved the cat but he is a bit scary looking. Overall we love this movie just know your kids. Some may have trouble with the mom being ill and the sprite aspect.
Parent of a 11 and 11 year old Written byResponibleParentOf2 July 12, 2011

Film has cute appeal but was made with young adults in mind.

My husband and I enjoyed this film, but we both agreed we wouldn't be showing our sons this until they were at least 15 or 16. The creatures would be frightening for them, despite their innocent nature. This film was rated incorrectly; it should be instead rated PG-13 for the mature themes and frightening images. It's a great date night film, but not a film for young kids or teens.
Parent Written bydarianr July 7, 2011

Great female role models

This is a great story with good female role models which is not so easy to find.
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bykaloren June 12, 2011

Wonderful adventure with cuddly creatures

I loved this film when I first saw it in Taiwan. I couldn't wait to share it with my girls. They love it too. The older one likes it because it has animation and characters like Pokemon. The youngest loved the little girl and her misadventures in the film. Even my parents have enjoyed watching this with the girls. It does get sad at times when they talk about the sick mother, but it has a happy ending. The cat bus is a bit scary at first, but then the kids realize it's the next best thing to a witch's broom or Santa's sleigh.
Parent Written by3Kmom June 9, 2011

Totoro is awesome!

My favorite movie for young kids. Beautiful animation. Sweet, imaginative story.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byletticepalmer May 30, 2011

Gentle Magic But Serious Drama

The very mellow pace of this film made it a good pick for my 2 year old son, who otherwise has very little exposure to TV and movies. He enjoyed this film thoroughly, however, I'm not sure he really understood the part about the mother in the hospital. I would imagine that there are elements in this film that would be a bit scarier for a kid who is old enough to understand the full scope of the story. Nevertheless, the drama is so gentle that it is almost impossible for me to imagine a film that is more appropriate for almost all ages.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byLila Jo May 1, 2011
A very good movie.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byjavamama926 March 11, 2011

great movie for 4+ kids

This is a wonderful movie. I agree with the review that parents may not like the amount of freedom the girls have to run around on their own. My daughter saw this when she was 4 and loved it. The nice thing about Miyazaki's movies are that they are not the non-stop, fast-paced movies/cartoons in the U.S. so kids have to pay a little more attention. I'm surprised, though, how still my daughter sat to watch it (she typically doesn't stop moving). However, I think those 3 and under would have a harder time sitting still for the movie.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written bylightworker23 February 20, 2011

One of the Best Kids Movies Ever

In a sea of G and PG movies that are too scary & intense (because they're made to appeal to adults & older kids) it's so wonderful to find Totoro. Both my 8 and 13 year-olds love this movie and have watched it over and over again.
Parent of a 4, 4, and 7 year old Written bymagasalee December 27, 2010
Parent of a 4 year old Written byRebrandSoftware December 18, 2010

Pefect for intelligent 3 year olds with a good attention span

I watched this with my (almost) 3 year old daughter and she loved it. She was never bored, but maybe briefly scared in a hide-behind-dad-for-a-moment kind of way. She's also a huge fan of Ponyo so I thought more Studio Ghibli might be appropriate. She has already asked to see it again, and I love to show her real films that will create lasting memories instead of throwaway children's junk, so I'm happy.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byalhj October 2, 2010
Parent Written bymyab September 17, 2010

A Don't Miss Movie w/ Positive Messages

An excellent film for family movie night. A loving father who works hard, siblings, friends, and neighbors who care for each other, and the idea that not everything that looks different is a monster. Beautiful animation, scary situations handled gently and sensibly, and lots of imaginative characters and happenings that are enchanting. Nothing objectionable for any age; even the mother's illness is dealt with carefully. I say 5 years up because the softness of the story might seem boring to a much younger child. Watch this and you won't be disappointed.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byJsMum July 25, 2010

A Charmingly Real Fantasy

While this is a fantasy, and involves supernatural creatures and events, it is remarkably real in it's portrayal of the inner life, and the inner fantasy life, of young children. The characters are believable and easy to like. Their concerns and joys are ones even young children can understand and share. After several years in my son's rotation, I have yet to tire of watching this lovely movie.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byRYD June 27, 2010

Great movie for ages 5+

My kids (ages 5 and 8) really loved this movie! It's sweet, has a good message (family is important, especially sisters) and is entertaining for everyone, even parents. Really enjoyed this film.