All member reviews for My Neighbor Totoro

Beautifully animated fantasy about friendship fit for all.

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bydavidmal770 March 15, 2011

Universal appeal without the cheap gags

Miyazaki's movies all cherish imagination and wonder. This one is no different. There seems to be a new trend in children's movies of trying to pull in the grownups by adding adult situations/humor into a child's world. Miyazaki's movies prove that you can have universal appeal simply by solid storytelling. Not cultural Lady Gaga jokes.
Kid, 12 years old December 23, 2010

beautiful movie for everyone :D

beautifully made, nice animation. I seen this movie for the past 10 years, and it is still one of my favorites from studio ghibli ^_^ nice
Kid, 9 years old October 14, 2010

Perfect for every age

Love it I am 9 still, and it is an eccelent movie for kids!
Parent of a 2 and 8 year old Written byDan Ouellette May 25, 2015

Fantastic movie. Disney cannot compare.

Hayao Mizayaki's movies are incomparable. And this is probably the favorite one with my kids. Unlike Disney, his stories are filled with mystery and not every situation is explained or completely logical... which is a great primer for children growing up. Additionally there are a few tense moments which resolve wonderfully, releasing the tension in a beautiful way not a false way as Disney is prone to doing. Almost all of Miyazaki's female characters are strong, independent and courageous without the sexist stereotypes so predominant in Disney/Nickelodeon fare. This is a huge benefit to these movies in my opinion. Pixar comes closest but nothing compares with Miyazaki/Ghibli.
Teen, 13 years old Written byskwunkel May 24, 2015

Was intrigued to watch but disappointing

There were some messages in this film about family and imagination but no real plot to interest me. Young kids should enjoy this, but I personally didn't. Some funny moments but no plot and 2 of the most annoying girls ever.
Parent Written bymalibumum March 22, 2015

Fantastic film... but beware of sick mother and talk of death.

All-in-all, I think this this is a great film. But be aware the mother is very ill. The children are very concerned and in one tense scene, the young girl asks "is mother going to die?" In the end, she recovers. But I think this scene is worth noting for younger viewers.
Parent of a 1, 3, and 6 year old Written byQuakesDad March 5, 2015

Good for 3yo

My 3yo daughter was engaged the whole movie. I'm not sure how much she truly understood but she loved it. Sensitive 3yo's might get a little frightened by the soot sprites.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byStacyVR February 25, 2015

Seriously SO good and beautiful

Why can't all kids movies be so well-written? Clearly, Miyazaki loves and "gets" kids -- how they can be so sweet, so impatient, so shy and insecure, and then so secure and confident, all in the same day. I love the characters (and so do my young boys) -- they love watching the girls run and laugh and explore! And who wouldn't want to find a Totoro while out exploring? Honestly, this movie is a treasure.
Parent of a 8, 9, and 10 year old Written byParentof3animefans February 23, 2015

It's perfect for the whole family

I let my kids watch it when they were just toddlers
Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 30, 2015

Studio ghibli Makes yet another nice Film for me..

A very imaginative and creative Film.. The Film wasn’t to bad and would be A perfect film the whole family can enjoy...
Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written byDuckfloss January 9, 2015

Odd and funny that literally all ages will enjoy

My 11- and 10-year-olds enjoyed this movie as much as I did. It's sweet and simple, but also a little bit weird. There isn't much action or even plot, but it's still engaging.
Kid, 11 years old December 16, 2014

Beautiful Film

The animation in My Neighbor Totoro is the amazing work of Hayao Miyazaki, creator of many beautiful films, including Spirited Away and Ponyo. Nothing intimidating, the soot sprites may be a bit scary for younger kids, as there are a few scenes in which they jump out at the main characters. The older sister, Satsuki, takes great care of her little sister, Mei. If you're interested in a magical animated film, My Neighbor Totoro is the best choice.
Kid, 12 years old November 22, 2014

Watch this movie!!

this is one of my favorite Miyazaki movies, it's so cute and it's great for any age. Totoro is a really cute character and the two girls are just so high spirited! I love this movie and you should definitely watch it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byffdfdsf November 20, 2014

well there is a part in the movie were they are all the dad and children are naked and share a bath together
Parent Written byScratchDad November 3, 2014

So sweet, fun, and beautiful. One of the best animated films if not best films ever

A staple in our home that just gets better on further viewings. My son has been watching since he was 3 and my daughter 4. The fantasy mixed with real life family worries I think really makes this stick for kids. The "spirit world" characters are captivating and gentle. The relations between the parents and children are tender. The siblings fight but their love for each other is moving too. Since the film deals with the stresses of an ill and absent parent many adults will probably let a few tears slip out. Artistically, the movie is a milestone for animated films and really one of the greatest movies period. There's not a lot reasons to avoid showing this kids under 4 IMHO.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAnimeFan3000 September 29, 2014

A great Miyazaki classic

This beautiful Japanese animated classic is loved by literally everyone who watches it, like most of Miyazaki's work. There is a bathroom scenes where they are taking a bath as a family which is normal in Japan but it made my mom stop watching it. You will most likely see this in many Japanese family movies but don't let that stop you. It is slow going till the little sister goes missing but it is filled with beautiful and peaceful scenes. It is enjoyable to all, you shouldn't even need to be a kid to watch it. Have fun with this great classic.
Kid, 11 years old June 25, 2014

Really good movie

I think that this movie will help kids like me learn about friendship and kindness at a really young age
Kid, 11 years old June 1, 2014

Very Impressive

I watched the movie when i was 8. Its was very sweet but might be a tiny scary to younger viewers, with all the talk about haunted houses. You might want to know this but Totoro is now a major character to the community, so that means probably alot of people have watched it and enjoyed it
Kid, 11 years old June 1, 2014

Totoro

it is a cute a fun movie and would be good for any kid.
Parent of an infant and 7 year old Written byBlueAngel19thirty May 4, 2014

Best baby gift we ever received!

This was given to us as a late baby shower gift. My husband and I watched it and fell in love with Totoro. Often times we would opt to pop this in the dvd player for our oldest child (age 2ish at the time) instead of relying on cartoons on tv. 5 years later and it's still her favorite movie. We've had many discussions about the Japanese culture, how important the environment is and how important family is. All Miyazaki fills are great, but IMO this one is the best.