All member reviews for My Neighbor Totoro

Beautifully animated fantasy about friendship fit for all.

Educator and Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byTV free family January 9, 2013

Beautiful, gentle and soothing

Most adults find the dust bunnies and Totoro creepy but for some reason, the children don't. This is the magic of Miyazaki, he has a way to draw children in sweet gentle stories that only they really get, since adults are all too concerned with fear and danger. The only somewhat concerning part for the children is when the younger sister disappears. My 6 year-old was quite worried the first time. But the worry is not about strangers, only about where she might be and when she will be found. All strangers are nice and helpful in the movie. Whenever I watch this movie with my boys (now 6 and 9, but we first saw it 3 years ago) I am reminded that their world is one of love and kindness everywhere they go. For them, strangers are always nice, caring people, even if they are dark fuzzy flying "things" or huge "monsters" like Totoro. How soothing to be in a world like that for a few precious moments. I highly recommend this movie.
Parent Written byaimless1 December 29, 2012

Awesome and sweet movie!

Our family LOVES this movie. It is funny and gets more endearing each time you watch it. The first time I watched it I don't think I really "got" it just because I think it feels different than the American animated movies. I can watch it over and over again and find more humor each time.
Kid, 10 years old November 11, 2012

Family Friendly Film and Fun for Everyone!

My Neighbor Totoro truly is a great movie. This movie has positive messages and awesome role models. This film is family friendly, and it's a lot of fun. Overall, I would recommend seeing this film.
Teen, 17 years old Written byTotoro fan September 23, 2012

A wonderful movie. Yet it's tales of childhood are now shrouded by capitalism

This is the most amazing movie ever. I saw this when I was about 6 and was totally wrapped up in the magical world of it, dancing around my garden to make it grow just as Totoro did. I still find it incredibly meaningful and charming. This movie has great values about hope, and also has lessons about community. Having seen the original English dubbed version first, the disney version is really unnecessary capitalism at play. The voicing is now by famous actors, in hopes that they will bring in more revenue. On top of that, the original language has been changed, so that the original meanings of some scenes have been altered. It's more satisfying to see the old version than it is to see the the new version dubbed. Please don't support this corporation greed.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviefan115 July 26, 2012

A movie about beautiful friendship

This film is a lovely piece of art, and plus, it has some really positive messages that are displayed through the friendship of the girls with not only Totoro, but also with their family and friends.
Kid, 10 years old July 24, 2012

Good movie! Don't miss out!

The thing about this movie is that you will never forget the fat, cuddly, friendly creature, Totoro. And this movie has a lot of things about friendship. and Totoro is a little loud at times. And cute!
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byzamoeba June 23, 2012

A winning family moive

A wonderful family movie! It takes real talent to create a captivating tale without a bad guy -- but this film has nailed it. The value of family and friendship, coupled with adventure, imagination, and magic made this gentle story a real winner at our house. Families should know that the mother in the story is ill and in the hospital, which might be uncomfortable, depending on your family situation.
Parent Written byMattSkelly May 6, 2012

Magical Totoro—and Catbus!

A magical, sweet movie. Some scary moments—a lost child, a sick mom—but handled better than most children's media. Totoro and Catbus are memorable, for kids and adults.
Parent Written byLadyDarling April 30, 2012

Great first movie for a toddler!

My husband and I watched this movie with our 2 year old. He absolutely LOVED it. I don't believe there is anything scary at all in this movie that would frighten a 2 year old. My little one was all smiles the whole time. We loved how Mei and Satsuki were independent and brave. Their mother is in the hospital, but they never show anything bad or scary during those parts. My little one loves Totoro and talks about Mei and Satsuki all the time. We love this movie!
Parent of a 3 year old Written byLtTawnyMadison April 19, 2012

Wonderful film for ALL ages

I'm not sure why CSM put the age on this so high. I myself love this film and I think it's fine for toddlers. My daughter has loved Totoro (and another Miyazaki film, Ponyo) since she was 2 1/2. She is quite sensitive and nothing in this film was scary or disturbing to her even at that age. Totoro and Ponyo are very rare in that they are films that adults can enjoy right along with young children!
Parent Written byayokat March 24, 2012

wonderful, loving Totoro is a winner!

our whole family loves this film! our 4 year old gets a little bit anxious, but in the end we all end up laughing out loud, teary eyed and loving the mystical/spiritual beauty of this family and community as depicted in this movie.
Kid, 11 years old February 24, 2012

Great movie not just for little kids

Some friends of my family's showed me this movie a couple of weeks ago. I didn't expect to like it as they are boys, and though I didn't get to finish it, I really liked what i did see. Little kids may be frightened by the little black things that crawl around the house in the beginning of the movie as they are a bit creepy, but the movie itself is insiring and sweet.
Parent Written byelgallo February 16, 2012

A wonderful movie.

My sons absolutely love this movie. It is sweet and entertaining; and opened up topics on conversation about how people live on other other countries, agriculture, kindness towards others and nature.
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 5, 2012

Great for all ages

A great distraction for small viewers. Adults will love it
Kid, 11 years old February 4, 2012

It is good

This is a really fun movie. The characters are funny and nice.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypoe-ette January 20, 2012

Stupid stupid disney!

The old version is epic! Make sure to get the "real version". The new disneyfied version has different voices! The girl's voices were so screechy in the disney one! Me and my sister were so mad that we snapped the disc. Get the old version!
Adult Written byMsCyn December 29, 2011

If you're looking for the perfect family movie that you and your kids will enjoy, here it is.

This movie is extremely underrated. My absolute favourite animated movie. It captures the magical, adventurous nature of children wonderfully, so that children of all ages can relate and enjoy. Awesome story line, cute characters, good message, completely original. No violence, bad guys, or anything of the sort- any sadness is dealt with softly and appropriately. Recommended for children and adults of all ages. You will not be dissapointed. NOTE: I reccomend the original version (english, not Japanese of course), not the newer Disney version.
Kid, 5 years old December 29, 2011

Wonderful

This is our movie of choice - beautiful to watch, magical story and interesting, nice characters. No sassy language, kidults or scary bits, which I am starting to realise is rare in kids movies nowadays. Loved by the whole family.
Kid, 11 years old December 26, 2011

Totoro...Totoro....

It's beautiful, cute and funny. The Japanese folks know how to touch hearts and bring people together!
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bykarinajohnson November 27, 2011

A good movie for all ages.

A good movie. Not scary at all, not even for my preschooler. It presents many good role models and positive messages. Very highly recomended!