All member reviews for My Neighbor Totoro

Beautifully animated fantasy about friendship fit for all.

Kid, 10 years old July 27, 2010

Not the best Miyazaki movie.

Totoro is cute.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byJsMum July 25, 2010

A Charmingly Real Fantasy

While this is a fantasy, and involves supernatural creatures and events, it is remarkably real in it's portrayal of the inner life, and the inner fantasy life, of young children. The characters are believable and easy to like. Their concerns and joys are ones even young children can understand and share. After several years in my son's rotation, I have yet to tire of watching this lovely movie.
Kid, 7 years old July 10, 2010
Kid, 9 years old July 9, 2010

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byRYD June 27, 2010

Great movie for ages 5+

My kids (ages 5 and 8) really loved this movie! It's sweet, has a good message (family is important, especially sisters) and is entertaining for everyone, even parents. Really enjoyed this film.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byonceacarpenter May 18, 2010

perfect for the youngest children

Absolutely cute movie for little kids. I enjoy it too, but my 6yo thinks it is boring now. That might be mostly because we watched it so many times!
Teen, 15 years old Written byCyonnara April 4, 2010

Okay for anyone

My favorite family movie ever. nothing is really wrong with it but maybe some of the little black creatures can be frightening to some smaller children but thats about it.
Parent of a 1, 3, 5, and 13 year old Written bydpaez March 31, 2010

the perfect movie

A great mellow movie!
Adult Written byClock March 30, 2010

One of the best movies ever, for all ages.

If I ever have kids, this is one movie that I have to show them. It's just an all around feel-good experience. What are you waiting for? Go see it!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymangafreak327 March 19, 2010

?

was i the only person who noticed a mostly naked father in the bathtub? ....this could be considered a damper. but it's still a beautiful movie.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bymattsdad February 22, 2010

Japanese Anime meets Alice In Wonderland

Japanese Anime meets Alice In Wonderland (not the Tim Burton version!) ... that's the way I think of Totoro. Unusually artistic and lots of attention to detail.
Kid, 12 years old December 13, 2009

a fun movie with brief peril and sadness.

The movie may look like there is nothing bad about it but there is there is some peril when a little girls goes missing and charecters are sad a lot of the time because there mother is dying. For that i recomen it to only somewhat mature 4 year olds.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylovettbeatle November 16, 2009

I love totoro! Some slightly scary parts.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byskwarepeg November 6, 2009

Well-made, endearing film for kids & adults

My daughter and I both love love love this movie. We can both watch it over & over.... My doing so says more than hers, though, I suppose. ;) The animation, the story, the relationships, the imagination behind the story and characters/objects... all make this a heart-warming, timeless, endearing film. I wish every movie for children were at least a little bit more like this. I also fell in love with Elle Fanning (see her in _Phoebe in Wonderland_ -- not for kids) from this movie. She and sister Dakota do the voices for Satsuki (Dakota) and Mei (Elle). I was concerned the ill mother or Mei running off might be bothersome for my sensitive daughter, but it is handled so sensitively -- and not at all "Hollywood-ized," exploited, or otherwise over-dramatized -- that she just rolls with it. I highly recommend it as a quality movie for both parents and kids.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byJothe October 16, 2009

Pleasant Surprise

I thought my 2 YO would not sit through it, especially as it is not action-packed, but it definitely held his attention. I think the kids in the movie are so true to life that mine could totally relate to them. A nice, imaginative film with none of the wiseacre humor so prevalent in so many of today's pop movies.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byCSM Screen Name... October 2, 2009

Great for all ages, including adults.

Fantastic movie! My kids watch this one over and over again. It's a little scary when the younger girl disappears trying to get to the hospital by herself, but that doesn't last long and has a fine resolution. Their mother's stay in the hospital is handled well.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 26, 2009

very sad but very good

very sad in some parts.
Kid, 9 years old August 27, 2009

its very fun and very cute and very harry

I love totoro and his big fat belly he is my favorite ball of fluff
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byMartinC August 25, 2009

Totoro !!!

My two boys love this movie!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byTheMoopies August 18, 2009