All member reviews for My Neighbor Totoro

Beautifully animated fantasy about friendship fit for all.

Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written bylightworker23 February 20, 2011

One of the Best Kids Movies Ever

In a sea of G and PG movies that are too scary & intense (because they're made to appeal to adults & older kids) it's so wonderful to find Totoro. Both my 8 and 13 year-olds love this movie and have watched it over and over again.
Parent of a 4, 4, and 7 year old Written bymagasalee December 27, 2010
Parent of a 4 year old Written byRebrandSoftware December 18, 2010

Pefect for intelligent 3 year olds with a good attention span

I watched this with my (almost) 3 year old daughter and she loved it. She was never bored, but maybe briefly scared in a hide-behind-dad-for-a-moment kind of way. She's also a huge fan of Ponyo so I thought more Studio Ghibli might be appropriate. She has already asked to see it again, and I love to show her real films that will create lasting memories instead of throwaway children's junk, so I'm happy.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymymembername October 16, 2010

Beautiful

I saw this movie at a very young age. For nearly my entire life I have been in love with this beautiful, exquisite film. Seeing this film at toddler age, I vividly remember how I felt about the film. The only scary thing was the scene at the beginning, when they first move into the old house, and Mei and Satsuki are looking for more acorns and go up into the attic where there is a very startling scene about Mei finding dust sprites. But that my mother easily had fast-forwarded past. Besides that, I didn't understand any of the serious parts. Like the fact that their mother was very, very sick. In fact, when they said the mother just had a cold in the movie, I really believed that it was just a cold. Anyway I loved the movie too much to feel scared. Satsuki and Mei are wonderful characters, and their father is lovable and a little clueless to what the girls actually do during the day. At least it's not anything to cause worry. Just spending the day with a huge furry beast that protects them from harm. This movie is a very relatable, beautiful family film that isn't the kind of film made exclusively for youngsters. People of any age can appreciate the beautiful messages and intense love that this film has to share. Soon your kids will be collecting golden acorns and looking for cute little dust sprites and connecting with nature. And if not, at least they got to see a sweet movie that has all of that. But really, there's so many magical elements that this movie holds, I don't want to waste your time naming all of them, just see the movie!
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byalhj October 2, 2010
Parent Written bymyab September 17, 2010

A Don't Miss Movie w/ Positive Messages

An excellent film for family movie night. A loving father who works hard, siblings, friends, and neighbors who care for each other, and the idea that not everything that looks different is a monster. Beautiful animation, scary situations handled gently and sensibly, and lots of imaginative characters and happenings that are enchanting. Nothing objectionable for any age; even the mother's illness is dealt with carefully. I say 5 years up because the softness of the story might seem boring to a much younger child. Watch this and you won't be disappointed.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAdept August 20, 2010

Stunning Animation

Totoro is probably one of the greatest kid movies ever made. It doesn't have a complicated plot, instead it focuses on two girls moving to a new place. The Japanese culture is depicted beautifully in this film, from the family bath, to the rice fields. The only concerns I would have are some of the messages presented. Satske, Mei, and their father "thank" the camphor tree in the woods for it's protection. Be ready to answer questions about that...also the family does bath together. but really. those are just assets of the culture presented by the film-- I loved every moment of it. This is one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen-- if you love animation of any kind, then you cannot miss this film for anything.
Kid, 10 years old July 27, 2010

Not the best Miyazaki movie.

Totoro is cute.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byJsMum July 25, 2010

A Charmingly Real Fantasy

While this is a fantasy, and involves supernatural creatures and events, it is remarkably real in it's portrayal of the inner life, and the inner fantasy life, of young children. The characters are believable and easy to like. Their concerns and joys are ones even young children can understand and share. After several years in my son's rotation, I have yet to tire of watching this lovely movie.
Kid, 7 years old July 10, 2010
Kid, 9 years old July 9, 2010
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byRYD June 27, 2010

Great movie for ages 5+

My kids (ages 5 and 8) really loved this movie! It's sweet, has a good message (family is important, especially sisters) and is entertaining for everyone, even parents. Really enjoyed this film.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byonceacarpenter May 18, 2010

perfect for the youngest children

Absolutely cute movie for little kids. I enjoy it too, but my 6yo thinks it is boring now. That might be mostly because we watched it so many times!
Teen, 15 years old Written byCyonnara April 4, 2010

Okay for anyone

My favorite family movie ever. nothing is really wrong with it but maybe some of the little black creatures can be frightening to some smaller children but thats about it.
Parent of a 1, 3, 5, and 13 year old Written bydpaez March 31, 2010

the perfect movie

A great mellow movie!
Adult Written byClock March 30, 2010

One of the best movies ever, for all ages.

If I ever have kids, this is one movie that I have to show them. It's just an all around feel-good experience. What are you waiting for? Go see it!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymangafreak327 March 19, 2010

?

was i the only person who noticed a mostly naked father in the bathtub? ....this could be considered a damper. but it's still a beautiful movie.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bymattsdad February 22, 2010

Japanese Anime meets Alice In Wonderland

Japanese Anime meets Alice In Wonderland (not the Tim Burton version!) ... that's the way I think of Totoro. Unusually artistic and lots of attention to detail.
Kid, 12 years old December 13, 2009

a fun movie with brief peril and sadness.

The movie may look like there is nothing bad about it but there is there is some peril when a little girls goes missing and charecters are sad a lot of the time because there mother is dying. For that i recomen it to only somewhat mature 4 year olds.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylovettbeatle November 16, 2009

I love totoro! Some slightly scary parts.