All member reviews for My Neighbors the Yamadas

Quirky animated comedy follows a family's ups and downs.

Teen, 16 years old Written bychinchillaboy26 August 2, 2012

Wonderful Studio Ghibli film fine for kids--but they might be bored

All right, the only reason I said pause for 7 and under is not because of inappropriate content. There are only two very minor things that parents might have reason to be concerned about: 1. Noboru, the teenager, talks with his classmates about getting the new "swimsuit edition" and then is shown in the bookstore looking at a book among others labeled "nude" and "girls." Nothing is shown, and it's not intended to be offensive. 2. Takashi, the father, occasionally smokes and drinks and in one scene gives his teenage son a sip of sakke. Again, it's nothing big (Noboru comments "too dry" and his parents become enraged). The reason I wouldn't recommend showing it to little kids is that I don't know if they'd enjoy it. The humor in some parts is funnier if the viewer is familiar with Japanese culture, and although it's animated like a comic strip, it's very much still an anime style and there are quiet, drawn-out, reflective moments occasionally. Most of the film is intended to be funny--think of it as a Japanese "Peanuts" with focus on the whole family rather than just the kids--but the kids might miss the humor and think it's a snoozefest. I loved the film, I think it's underappreciated, but my fifteen-year-old brother watched it with me and said it was a horrible movie. Basically, I'd recommend it, but most little kids would probably enjoy Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, or Castle in the Sky more.
Kid, 10 years old July 3, 2012

Not one of Takahata's best work.

If you really want to see it, Just go on Netflix. To me, NOT WORTH OUR MONEY OR TIME!!!