All member reviews for Nancy Drew

Big-screen teen sleuth is cute, if a bit bland.

Adult Written byLoriL April 9, 2008

Very disappointing

I saw this movie in the theater with my 10-year-old daughter. We were very much looking forward to this movie since my daughter reads Nancy Drew books and plays the Nancy Drew cd-rom games. This movie was nothing like the Nancy Drew mysteries of the books and games. It dealt with an out-of-wedlock actress who went into hiding during her pregnancy, gave the baby up, then came back. Nancy searched for the now grown woman, also a single mother. My daughter was left asking where the child's father was, how this woman got pregnant in the first place, etc., etc. Had the writers never read a Nancy Drew book before? The books were titled "The Secret of the Old Clock", "The Whispering Statue", "The Haunted Bridge", etc., not "The Mystery of the Unwanted Pregnancy". I must say I'm a bit disappointed with Common Sense Media for not picking up on this story-line also.
Kid, 11 years old August 22, 2010

Exciting movie for brave pre-tweens up!

I thought it was great but some younger kids may be frightened, or, if they're braver, cheer Nancy on!
Kid, 11 years old March 27, 2010

An Awesome Fun Movie you Can't Miss

I absolutely LOVE this movie! I watch it all the time! In this movie Nancy and her father move to California into a house that Nancy chose, of course with a mystery. Her father makes her promise not to sleuth after she solves a dangerous mystery in the beginning. She does of course though and she gets wrapped up in a huge mystery about a flim stars mysterious death. I love every mintue of it, but it might be scary for younger kids. There are a couple -pop-out-atcha moments and Nancy is almost killed a couple times. But it's an awesome movie as i've said a ton and there are funny parts as well. I highly recommend this movie!!!
Parent of a 7 year old Written bycitymom April 9, 2008

Major theme is out-of-wedlock pregnancy!

I was so shocked that of all mysteries, Nancy Drew was caught up in one involving unwed pregnancy, secret childbirth, who's the father, etc.!! I knew there would be murder and didn't like that either, but decided we could deal with it. Like another reviewer on this site, I was stuck explaining to my 9 year old why this unmarried actress disappeared and had a baby. And of course they said "she never married" many times. I could deal with the mild kissing and mild violence (although my daughter had nightmares about the guy with 2 different colored eyes) but the thematic nature of the movie was inappropriate - there are plenty of mysteries she could have solved without entering this territory. Disappointed!
Adult Written byallgirls April 9, 2008

Iffy

Umm.....not our family's cup of tea. i kept reading wholesome reviews. The truth is, the "mystery" Nancy is solving is trying to find a murdered actresses out of wedlock child that she gave up for adoption. Then when she finds her, she is a single mother, and there is some discussion of who the father is. Then in the end, the inherited house is made into a home for single mothers.I was stuck explaining some things to my 8 year old that I hadn't bargained on. Wholesome is in the eye of the beholder.
Teen, 16 years old Written bygbsfan July 16, 2011

Good!

I haven't played the games so I can't compare it to them and I have only read the new series, and this movie appears to be more likely to old series in some ways. I thought it good, despite the fact that it isn't a lot like the books. The theme is a bit mature for younger kids though, in my opinion.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byArete February 6, 2011

Single moms

I thought the portrayals of single moms were positive (I'm a single mom), but parents should be aware--prominent in plot are 2 generations of single moms, adoption, and maternal death x 2 as well as child being taken from mom by social services (which scared my 7 year old). Also, there are some very scary scenes that involve an older man being violent and threatening to Nancy.
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 12 year old Written byayeshaq June 30, 2010

Romance

I really liked this movie! It was great but, I found that there was too much romance.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bykikpong@earthli... June 20, 2009

Child taken by CPS bothered my 7-year old

Although my husband and I managed, we were not prepared to explain to our daughter why a child would be taken from its mother by CPS. My 7-year old was a more than a little perturbed by the idea that a child could be taken away from its mother because of another person's lies. The unwed mother / unwanted pregnancy / adoption issues seemed to go over her head; she hasn't asked any questions. I just discovered this website today; if I had, we would not have watched Nancy Drew at this time.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymkalv February 4, 2009

Not bad.

This is the only girl movie I ever looked forward to. Emma does a great job as Nancy, and little girls will love this.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

Adult Written byjgarbarz April 9, 2008

Cute movie-bad plot

I like many of the other reviewers was not pleased with the story line. There are way too many other stories that could have been used. I would have liked to have been warned about the unplanned pregnancy, clueless father and the premise that this story line is okay and acceptable.
Adult Written byclimb4time2 April 9, 2008

Good Mystery Fun

This was perfect for my 10 year old. She doesn't like too scary. This was a good mystery with enough plot and emotion that she dealt with small "tense" spots well. 12 year old liked it as well. I ended up taking my 4 year old in as well. It wasn't anything she couldn't handle, but she was a little bored right in the middle. I liked the movie. It was fun and not full of unneccesary "bad stuff" that seems to be in everything lately. ENJOY!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAubrey_sammy January 1, 2015

A sleuthing good time!

If you are a fan or familiar with the series it is a bit different. Takes a modern twist on an interesting plot. Some scenes are kind of scary like when the realtor is giving Nancy the tour.
Kid, 11 years old January 19, 2013

Nancy Drew

*Positive Messages: The message of this movie is be yourself. * *Positive Role Models: Nancy Drew is a brave, intelligent and kind person. She isn't afraid to solve a mystery or two.* *Violence: There is kicking and punching in fights. There is also car chases and guns. Nothing too extreme. Nobody gets hurt except the bad guy.* *Sexy Stuff: 1 kiss occurs. A party also occurs. Nothing else happens.* *Language: There is brief language in this film. H*** and D**n are as far as it goes. * *Consumerism: AOL and Apple are two of the many companies used in this movie.
Kid, 9 years old August 24, 2012

Best movie ever.

I watched this with my 4 year old sister. It's very good, and anyone but very little kids could watch it. It keeps you turning, and you're scared, but you just love it anyway.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFarmgirl2221 August 19, 2012

Baaaaaaaad.....

Wow...
Teen, 15 years old Written bysupersluth March 22, 2012

an amazing movie

This movie is good for kids of any age. It has a powerful lesson of not judging others and being a role modle. On the down side, there is a cuss word.
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2012

ok............

this move is ok, yes, it is violent, (a little, tiny bit, mostly just scary) and sexy, very
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 16, 2012

Perfect movie!!

This movie was very cool.It was action packed and really funny.It is one of the best mystery movies ever!