Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for National Treasure

Historical adventure is a fun romp for tweens and up.

Parent of a 6, 11, 15, and 17 year old Written bychrissyridergirl June 29, 2010

One of our favs.

Awesome movie. Definitely great for the whole family (parents included!!) Hopefully they will EVENTUALLY come out with a third movie.

Adult Written byfivebewe April 9, 2008

Lots of fun!

My husband and I saw this (after our 17 y/o daughter did) --- we all enjoyed it. There is LITTLE swearing, if any. We found NOTHING negative in this movie. Its safe for kids (though, yes, there are a couple skeletons). The official reviews may not be putting this movie on the Academy list, but it IS simply a fun, entertaining movie for everyone. Naturally the entire idea about stealing the Declaration is ridiculous, but MANY of the best movies are far-fetched at best. We give Two Thumbs Up on this one. Nicholas Cage is his gorgeous self! (That's me, theWIFE speaking--my husband has no opinion on it!)
Adult Written byckm381 April 9, 2008

Exciting, excellent family movie with historical education as well

I thought that National Treasure was an excellent movie. I had read some pretty harsh reviews, so I was somewhat hesitant to go and see it, but am very glad that I did. I took my 13 year old daughter and 10 year old son, and they both thought that it was great. My 13 year old daughter typically only likes teenie bopper movies, but even she thought that this movie was "really good". It is a great movie to take your family to, although some younger children may be frightened by some of the scenes with skeletons, coffins, etc. in them. Other than that, I would recommend it to everyone! Go see it and enjoy!
Adult Written bytexasmommy April 9, 2008

Not too scary!

My 7-year old son is sensitive to scary images, so we don't see Harry Potter, etc. But he LOVED this - it was like Indiana Jones without the innuendo or gross-out stuff. He doesn't like skeletons, but he handled the ones in the movie fine. He enjoyed the action/adventure, understood that it wasn't real, and talked about it for weeks! Now he's begging me to buy it!
Parent Written bytreat02 March 16, 2013

Good Movie, but younger audiences wouldn't understand

Well, this was a pretty good movie, as far as I see. My daughter watched it in her Social Studies class, and she told me about it. Her teacher reminded the classmates that it would kind of linger into fiction at times. For example, there isn't a map on the back of the Declaration of Independence. Actually, some of the stuff she learned she didn't know before. For example, the movie stated that Ben Franklin had written letters to his brothers newspaper, pretending to be a widowed woman, which was true. My daughters don't like things that just state historical stuff, but have some more in them. This movie did have a couple of explosions . . . . And a man fell and died. I will admit there was some kissing, but brief. The whole changing thing was different. NOTHING was on camera, really. They were just talking. And unless you speak German you don't really know that "d--n" came up.

Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015

It is a wonderful movie

The story has history in it, and is very good. One of the most underrated Disney movies ever. Overall: 9.75/10

Adult Written byhockey mommy April 9, 2008

A Brilliant Movie - Really Fun For Kids!

I love this movie, but not so much for the movie itself, but for making history so much fun for children. My son watched this movie for the first time when he was 6, and because of it, has developed a passion for American History. Although there is some mild violence in this movie, the hero (Nicholas Cage) is often shown stopping to think of an intelligent way to solve a problem using his knowledge of American History, while the "bad guys" just shoot their way through the maze of puzzles. Of course, the good guy brainpower wins out over the bad guy's "shoot 'em up" mentality. A classic movie that is watched frequently in our home.
Parent Written byqtnn January 11, 2009
Parent of an infant and 7 year old Written byNilus May 8, 2015
Adult Written bydadnmelover123 January 27, 2012

sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

teaches you about history a couple of skeletons main characters are shot at but no one is harmed and the main character cuts his finger to use his blood as a map some funny moments i love this movie

Parent of a 1 and 6 year old Written byHOLLYWOODHILLSMOM August 16, 2009
Adult Written bydolby April 9, 2008

Recommend it

Educational value within the many historical references...no worries about ANY romance or nudity, however does contain gunfire, but no deaths that I can recall
Adult Written byspartan April 9, 2008

Great Movie

I love these kind of movies - It is an Indiana Jones genre without the gore and great historical perspectives as well. The movie was a lot of fun, had a lot of action and kept you thinking about the twists. I have kids from 4 to 10 and they all enjoyed it. There are very few movies that I would pay to see again. This is one of them.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bylightandlife November 12, 2009

Love it! Great for the whole family!

LOVE THIS MOVIE. My family and I have watched it over and over again. Never get sick of watching it. Great adventures, no bad language YAY! And the kids learn some history while being entertained. What could be better?!
Parent of a 7 year old Written byeswanson April 9, 2008

Fun escapist film for the 8 and over set

I think this is a MUCH better choice for an 8 yo than Lemony Snicket. Far less peril and lots of surprises. Yes, it's COMPLETELY unrealistic and impossible but it's FUN. There's no sex, no bad language, and no blood/gore. It's the PG version of a James Bond-type flick. Don't expect a history lesson but it's certainly a good jumping-off point for a talk abt the difference between myth and history. Take your pre-teens and enjoy.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byDavidhp7 April 1, 2013

National treasure

This for me surely one of the best films I've ever expirinced seeing Pg rating correct for moderate fantasy violence infrequent mild sex And language

Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 24, 2010
ok

Adult Written bydad4two April 9, 2008

should be PG-13

Good movie. But it should have been rated PG-13 due to the action violence
Adult Written bycyber_mom4 April 9, 2008

Mildly entertaining for adults, fun for kids

I rented this dvd, because I saw the trailer for the second movie and was curious. I was mildly entertained. It is Disney's attempt at an Indiana Jones adventure., which falls short. There are a lot of moments when the characters just act plain stupid and the plot is totally implausible, which isn't so bad for a fantasy adventure, but this is supposed to be more realistic, I guess. You have to be willing to suspend disbelief. Kids who are interested in treasure maps, codes and ciphers will like this movie, unless they know more about these things than the film makers, then they will think it's stupid. It is not graphically violent, compared to most recent movies. Little or no bad language, no blatent sex. I won't mind letting my kids watch it, though many adults will be bored, if they are expecting a typical adventure movie.
Adult Written by4Spice October 22, 2009

good movie 9 and up

awesome movie lots of action truth is you can let your hole entire family to see thid movie because it has no sex and barley any killing.