All member reviews for Need for Speed

Teen, 15 years old Written byjb223 April 5, 2014

Basically just a Mediocre F&F ripoff

This is nowhere near as good as The Fast and the Furious Films, Well maybe better than 2,3,and 4 but definitely not better than 1,5,or 6, It has a very Stupid story and most of it is Extremely Dumb but at often it is kind of a Fun Movie.
Teen, 17 years old Written by007SPY April 10, 2014

Great Movie!!!

I enjoyed watching this movie I reckon it's acceptable for younger viewers with a small imagination.
Teen, 13 years old Written by136-days-before March 22, 2014

Well to be honest this movie was great, however at parts I felt like it wasn't about cars and it just focused on the love and revenge. Whereas it could have been based around something more to do with racing. Overall I would recommend for children over 10 as it has mature references and a lot of talking.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJflores14 March 16, 2014

Fun racing film is mixed with iffy messages

This action flick is fun, exciting, and jaw-dropping! Teens above age 13 will love this movie and it's fun action scenes. Sexual content is kept at a minimum, but language and nudity are an issue. There were MANY uses of words such as a**hole, b*tch, bas**rd, sh**, f**k, hell, damn, etc. there was a good 2 minutes of the movie where a man strips to his birthday suit and runs around his office building with his butt showing, while funny definitely not appropriate for young girls. There was also messages about running from the police with little to no consequences. Overall a great movie but don't bring young kids or you will be sorry you did! (PS: horrific commercials are before this film with LOTS of swearing and sexual content, including crude references to condoms)
Kid, 9 years old June 22, 2014

Awesome movie

Its awesome movie i love it there is language and action not VIOLENCE there is some drinking not so good role models but its a fine movie for a mature kid who knows street racing is not good
Teen, 14 years old Written bymistakebythelake June 19, 2014

Need for Cliches

Not impressed. Absolutely ridiculous. I didn't come in expecting an Oscar worthy performance, but I'm not even sure the movie was worthy of a middle school drama club performance. Lame dialogue, cheesy plot, cliches galore, lots of explosions. The entire program seems like a commercial for Ford and Continental tires. It was predictable, down to the next word to come out of a character's mouth. Aaron Paul was nice, but he played a character with no emotional depth other than "you killed my sidekick, and I'm really still angry about it." It's a waste of the talent. There were obvious issues with stunts- such as when the car in a jump near Detroit went from a heavily modded Mustang to a stock Mustang to a heavily modded Mustang, back to the stock Mustang, and then back to the modded Mustang. It wasn't even hidden- you could TOTALLY tell. The stereotypical comedy-relief misogynist black dude somehow has access to a bunch of aircraft, and then he taught prisoners to twerk, with no real other relation to the rest of the storyline. One of the black guy's commandeered aircraft, which is supposedly an Apache, is actually a Sikorsky. The movie is not Operation Lifesaver friendly, as railroad crossings are ignored without a single character saying "Blast! Now we gotta wait for this train to pass." Overall, good for a couple of laughs, but not worth your time otherwise.
Kid, 12 years old November 22, 2014

There is absolutely no CGI. (Except for title sequences and transitions.) Nearly 13 years old, and please read on --- there is a gratuitous and moronic scene involving a man stripping in a PUBLIC OFFICE. Slow at times, but entertaining for a light watch. Again, there is absolutely ZERO CGI used for the stnts.

Hi, Epicboy21, yet again. EDIT: In a mid-credits scene, a prisoner tells the other prisoners how to twerk and they are seen twerking. A good 30 seconds, this lasts. EDIT OVER. First, let me tell you that this film is fine for your teens. Second of all, please note that that "Touchstone" company you see the logo for after DreamWorks at the beginning of the movie is simply Disney's adult-oriented division, so technically, this, Pretty Woman, Dead Poets' Society, Good Morning Vietnam, Sister Act are all Disney movies under the Touchstone banner. PARENTS' POINT OF VIEW?: What's the story? If there is one? MY POINT OF VIEW?: Tobey Marshall, played by the Breaking Bad star Aaron Paul, playing Walt's partner in crime, is convicted of manslaughter after a car catches on fire and completely kills a driver in a reckless manslaughter incident, which we only see the fire of, not the body. PARENTS' POINT OF VIEW: Is it any good? MY POINT OF VIEW: Mediocre at best. Too slow and boring sometimes, but usually entertaining, if not overlong, and having NOT seen the hit show Breaking Bad, Aaron Paul is completely flat. PARENTS' POINT OF VIEW: OMG the commercials were horrific and I had to walk out of the cinema until the movie started --- and the brands of cars are mentioned very clearly and glamourised in crash-fests. MY POINT OF VIEW: The consumerism here is plenty of cars, and, in one scene, some other DreamWorks/Touchstone/Disney DVDs. For goodness' sake, it's all about cars. And, consumerism doesn't matter. Remember that. And at the end of the day, it's just some movie. It honestly COULD have been better. It's about average. The crashes are pretty memorable. Besides, I only saw it when it hit Blu-ray, and it was pirated on my cousin's computer --- my 42" TV scanned it at approximately the middle of the screen. PARENTS' POINT OF VIEW: There is a lot of language here --- too much for my kids. MY POINT OF VIEW: Yes, someone's called a "d--chebag",there's the name "sh--sack" thrown about once, the word "sh-t" is used about 10 or so times at least, there's some other swearing, like "son-of-a-b*tch" and "cr*p" and stuff. Nothing your teen hasn't heard before, and the language is in several scenes though. Just probably not for anyone under 13. No strong language, but certainly crude in some places. PARENTS' POINT OF VIEW: There is glamorisation of crime. MY POINT OF VIEW: And, parents who don't care for this sort of thing, I won't spoil it anyway, unless I put in a spoiler warning, which I will later. You'll thank me, if you're never gonna watch it, The following is not spoilers. There is some racing that you root for them for, and Tobey, who is the main character, gets arrested once at the beginning of the movie, but 2 years later, he's released, this is at the beginning of the film and he wants revenge for the manslaughter of a fellow racer, which, this crash is the most intense and fiery. This is what the basic plot's about, so that's not spoilers. Now, I'm about to tell you, skip over this paragraph about here if you don't want spoilers. SPOILER ALERT! The main character also gets arrested at the end of the movie, then gets released. PARENTS' POINT OF VIEW: Is this film going to be violent? MY POINT OF VIEW: The film centres on a manslaughter (an accidental murder for those who really doesn't know about it) and you see the car with the driver inside it catch on fire, but you never see the driver, however. You can see a distressed Tobey, whom of which is witnessing this event, during a big, busy daytime race, to hip-hop music, the screen literally goes silent, except for slight sound effects and music, and we see the burning car in front of him, implying that the driver inside the car is killed. He is visibly upset. Most of the other car crashes don't involve blood, but one does. A scar of blood on someone's forehead after they're retrieved from a burning car, a car that's crashed, and two people are punched throughout the movie. There's also a police officer going undercover at a 7-Eleven, who chases a central character through a building, and she manages to jump, despite being afraid of heights. At one point, she's in the hospital. So, yeah, sort of violent. It's about a heavy PG, but a very light PG-13 at most. For Australia, this is easily a PG equivalent in violence --- it's rated America's PG-13 equivalent for "mature themes", and it depends, sometimes Australia's more relaxed, sometimes they're strict --- your PG may be G to them, or your PG may be PG-13 to them, your PG-13 equivalent may be an R to them, your R may be their PG-13, et cetera. Equivalent very light PG-13. Your child can survive if they've watched Fast and Furious, which I haven't seen any of the seven or so instalments. PARENTS' POINT OF VIEW: What about that 'gratuitous nude scene' you talked about? MY POINT OF VIEW: Yes, this lasts approximately 30 seconds at the tops, so when Dino, the rival racer, is in the office, skip this scene if you don't want your child seeing rear nudity --- he takes off his shirt, and his chest is easily visible, as he takes off his pants and shoes, just in his underwear, and, believe it or not, it focuses on his rear side when he even pulls down his underwear --- he's naked in an elevator, comments it's cold, and then goes and jumps on someone else completely naked --- I can understand why an office worker murmured "What the h-ll?" So, yeah, that's how it goes, in broad daylight. Completely gratuitous, and if you're really observant, his penis might be visible for about a split-second. Anyway... I agree with you with this. Apart from this, there's some comments that can be viewed as sexist. There's some kisses, and Tobey's girlfriend wears cleavage-laden dresses. PARENTS' POINT OF VIEW: Smoking? Drinking? Drugs? No drug use of any kind, maybe some smoking, maybe some social drinking, no one gets drunk. At least, that I remember. PARENTS' POINT OF VIEW: Women objectified? Not exactly. Imogen Poots gets to shine and stands for what's right, and is not simply a sex object --- she never shows off in bras or implied nude scenes --- NEVER. PARENTS' OVERALL POINT OF VIEW: This is good, like a Q&A --- I'm glad I found this review. Thank you for noticing for me about the mild violence, the gratuitous male rear nudity, the language and the consumerism just so I know. MY OVERALL POINT OF VIEW: You're welcome. I used to do a shorter and less satisfying format, but I'll try consider this in the future. Also read my review of Saving Mr. Banks, Men in Black, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Flight of the Navigator, Short Circuit, Life of Pi, Pitch Perfect, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, plenty of things. My reviews quite often disappear into the site itself, but they're nice and helpful. Useful to know. Overall, NEED FOR SPEED is rated PG-13 for "Sequences of reckless street racing (which there is plenty), disturbing crash scenes (which the only one that can possibly be disturbing is the one at the start), nudity (which I'm really ticked off by) and crude language (which there is also plenty of)." Anyway, thank you for reading. And below, are in-depth biographies of somethings. PARENTS' POINT OF VIEW?: Can you please describe how Touchstone went to be with Disney? MY POINT OF VIEW?: Yes, sure. Touchstone Pictures is the more mature, sophisticated banner created by then-Disney associate guy Ron W. Miller, whom, in 1984, created that Tom Hanks/Daryl Hannah movie, Splash. Now, knowing a LOT about movies and studios and stuff, I'm pretty much the guy to ask. Also, my interests are technology, videogaming, and, TV shows, I generally like pop, rock, hip-hop, electronic, music, the slower music, however, isn't too much quite my taste. However, anyway, however, this Touchstone banner was also implemented for more adult movies under the Disney banner, with notable PG films The Black Hole, Tron, under the Disney banner, Tex, under the Disney banner, Never Cry Wolf, under the Disney banner, but, however, Never Cry Wolf featured full-frontal male nudity, and Tex the use of teenagers using marijuana. So, both inspired Touchstone. Weird Science, Dangerous People, Adventures in Babysitting, Sister Act, Good Morning Vietnam, Sister Act: 2: Back in the Habit, Dead Poets' Society, Unbreakable, Wild Hogs, Deja Vu, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Pretty Woman, are plenty of the movies, available, into the Touchstone years. They had plenty of hits like that, and that was just listing from their inception in 1984 until at least 2007 or so. They had a television division, named TOUCHSTONE TELEVISION, and their early logo is known as the white background and the blue ball which is panned out from, showing TOUCHSTONE FILMS. The second logo, was known as the "SNAKE" logo, which contained a black background, this time, lasting until 2,000, with the long, blue circular rectangle going across the screen, then, forming into a circle, with the words in some old font, TOUCHSTONE PICTURES, appearing next to it, the light putting the prick onto the thing, and, then, in 2000, most films after 2000, apart from CALENDAR GIRLS, didn't contain the somewhat eerie fanfare and the ding at the end, except for the opening of TOUCHSTONE DVDs and BD BLU-RAYs like Gnomeo and Juliet, Pearl Harbor, Armageddon, the movies I'm mentioning before, and this 2000 version was a glowing orangey-yellow ball, which became blue, with a small reflection of the writing, and, the prick, already there, with the text zooming out, to show, in a 3D, similar font to the last one, TOUCHSTONE PICTURES. This logo is seen on THE AMAZING RACE (CBS TV SERIES), DEJA VU, FRIGHT NIGHT, GNOMEO AND JULIET, THE HELP, THE HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY, I AM NUMBER FOUR, MONK (TV SERIES), NEED FOR SPEED, REAL STEEL, UNBREAKABLE, WILD HOGS, the biographical drama, LINCOLN, and, any other TOUCHSTONE TITLE. One notable exception: PEARL HARBOR, the film, completely skips this logo, except, before the menu. The Blu-ray doesn't even have a menu. Just some pop-up thing that when you end the movie, it replays it, immediately afterwards. In 2011, they have signed a 30-picture, long term, 5 year motion-picture deal with DREAMWORKS SKG, NOT the animation division, the live-action division, since 2004, they have been separate companies. This contained the films including after I AM NUMBER FOUR, including I AM NUMBER FOUR, REAL STEEL, THE HELP, FRIGHT NIGHT, LINCOLN, NEED FOR SPEED, THE HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY. And is set to appear on the 2015 LUCASFILM ANIMATION FILM --- NOT STAR WARS --- CALLED "STRANGE MAGIC". HOPEFULLY MORE FAMILY-FRIENDLY THAN THE NEED FOR SPEED REVIEW BELOW. Just capitalising on good news. Disney bought both MARVEL and LUCASFILM, and that means if TOUCHSTONE is DISNEY, then they can distribute too. This also means that, however, in 2007, their other adult division, HOLLYWOOD PICTURES, whom which produced THE SIXTH SENSE, STAY ALIVE, SUPER MARIO BROS. THE MOVIE, PLENTY OF OTHER THINGS, THE FIRST FILM ARACHNOPHOBIA, they went folded into TOUCHSTONE PICTURES, including the film CRIMSON TIDE. Anyway, that's the end of this history biography, and onto the review. One of the films in the TOUCHSTONE (DISNEY)---DREAMWORKS (DISNEY) deal, since, DREAMWORKS split from PARAMOUNT, in 2008. DREAMWORKS first film was THE PEACEMAKER. Anyway, really, thankyou for reading. The end of this review. Next review: SAVING MR. BANKS.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymovielover7271 March 15, 2014

This. Was. Awesome.

Need for speed is an ultimate film experience for Tweens and teens, it's amazing. It stars Aaron Paul as a street racer bent on revenge after the death of friend, leading him to high speed pursuits and very intense races. There are so many unexpected and awesome car sequences, considering no cgi was used for these stunts. The action was incredible, and there was lots of humor. Very entertaining! I definately reccomend it to fans of the Fast and Furious franchise and fans of the need for speed video games. Except, not for kids younger than 11 or 12 because it could send some bad messages about illegal driving.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySaad1Khan November 15, 2014

Teen, 14 years old Written bypinkman May 12, 2014

I only went to see this movie because Aaron Paul is in it, however I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The race scenes were exciting and the stunts were impressive, bearing in mind no CGI was used. The story line was good and pretty much all the actors were brilliant. Definitely a must-see movie for boys who like cars, but enjoyable for everyone.
Teen, 16 years old Written byStevie111 March 16, 2014

Need for Speed

A naked man is the most mature part of the movie. It isn't very violent, a few fights, but there are a lot of car crashes and explosions. The movie is very good and well done and perfect for teens or fast and furious fans, though not nearly as good as that franchise.
Kid, 9 years old March 16, 2014

great movie

some violence and some nudity but the nudity is made for laughs but its about a car mechanic and he goes on a race... i shouldn't say anything else but Aaron Paul did great and consumerism for all the cars but i loved this movie
Kid, 10 years old June 2, 2015

Kid, 8 years old May 15, 2015

Obscured,dumb racing movie is not as thrilling or exciting as Furious 7

My rating:PG-13 for intense sequences of crashes and action,some language,racy content,and brief nudity.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMavrah333 April 24, 2015

Poor acting and idiotic plot ruin a film with few redeeming qualities.

I do not exaggerate when I say that Michael Bay is a better director than the guy who made this. The acting is abysmal, the less said about the races the better, and its difficult not to swear when describing the lack of imagination involving the plot. This un-funny, not thrilling racing movie is laughably predictable, and arguably one of the worst movies of 2014. Final Score: 1/10: Horrible
Kid, 11 years old October 20, 2014

The only thing that holds this together is the races

Mild violence and mature themes
Teen, 14 years old Written byDorotea Dukovac August 19, 2014

OK

It is good. Not great, but good. I have not watched full movie because it is a little bit boring.
Kid, 11 years old May 27, 2014

Start your engines

A man wants to be a stripper so he talks about it and alot of long scenes of making out plenty of flirting and a guy strips nude though only his butt is shown and uses of doucebag with stands for something about a girls lower private part and plenty of car crashes and violence throughout the movie.