All member reviews for Never Been Kissed

Sweet, romantic story for teens has some edgy scenes.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySomebodysMe June 23, 2009

Really cute!

This is one of my all-time fave movies. (yeah, I know i say that alot, but this really is!) Josie is the perfect role model, not compromising any of her values to fit in. Rob too, when a girl (16) asks to sleep with him (23) he turns her down though thouroughly tempted. Yeah, there's a lot of sex in it (nothing totally explicit) My advice would be to watch it before your kids see it, and then watch it with them with your finger on the fast-forward and mute buttons.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytheflickchick March 29, 2011

great movie

I liked it, except it has a few sexy parts so ages 11+ The bad stuff: A little sexy things and references, talk about kissing, and kissing. Some language. The good stuff: Positive role models and messages, for example, a character quits being part of the mean "popular clique" The movie: Good. I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5.
Adult Written byPanya April 9, 2008

Great for showing how "the other half" lived through high school

I really related to the main character. When I saw it for the first time, I remember thinking that all junior and high school students should see it.
Kid, 11 years old January 7, 2011

Sweet

this movie was great i watched it when i was 10 and my heart drop i though it was the sweetest
Teen, 17 years old Written bymeghan2011 February 5, 2010

Never Been Kissed is a funny movie that teaches a lesson about not judging someone before you know them. For me this is a movie I never get tired of watching. Drew Barrymore does a great job in this movie as she takes on two different lives one as a journalist and one as a high school student. In this movie Drew Barrymore plays both parts very well. This movie may need parental supervision because there is adult language and adult content used. It will keep you laughing and I love how the end of the movie keeps you on the edge of your seat. I think this movie is better than most romantic comedies because there is so many different things going on throughout the movie.
Adult Written bylive4tea April 9, 2008

My eleven year old is not ready to see teenagers putting condoms on bananas and obscene gestures, like suggestively licking pencils. Too bad, it could have been a cute movie.
Parent Written byglanderson June 21, 2013

NEVER BEEN KISSED is NOT FOR KIDS.

This is the first time Common Sense Media has really let us down. NEVER BEEN KISSED was included in the Best Sleepover Movie category for 12-year olds, so we were horrified when there was a condom demonstration and a lot of references to casual sex. This is absolutely not appropriate for 12-year olds, not even close. We eventually turned it off, something we have never done before with any movie based on Common Sense Media ratings.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykit.katz28 November 1, 2011

Awesome, but watch w/ your kid

Very cute and funny :) some flirting/ kissing, etc., but it was soooo good :) Definitely a movie to watch with your child, but I'd recommend it :)
Kid, 12 years old August 4, 2011

TEACHES YOU A LOT OF THINGS THE BEST MOVIE EVER!

Well my opinion is that this is a movie that could teach you things letting you know if you like math or something that doesn't mean you are a nerd ETC...but this is the kind of movie where in you can keep on watching it and never get tired of it!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byHethurrr May 6, 2011

It's a great movie! Perfect movie for like sleepovers and fun girly stuff.(:
Kid, 12 years old December 18, 2010

Horrible Movie!

Ugh! It was a waste of time to watch! If you want a rom-com watch Breakfast at Tiffanys or Sabrina or anything else with Audrey Hepburn but Not this!
Teen, 15 years old Written byvicky_23 April 7, 2015

this is a good movie and shows children to be careful in a way, don't do drugs (from the brownie scene) where she gets up on stage and dances crazily. it talks about sex in one scene which may make younger children a little bit un comfortable (banana condom scene which talks about sex) but its a very good movie and I think that 10 and up is recommended!
Teen, 13 years old Written bygmvyoshi February 12, 2015

Drew Barrymore Romantic Comedy is Good For Teens and Up.

"Never Been Kissed" is a cute rom-com, fit for teens. Sex- Language-infrequent, mild language includes: hell, damn, a--, s--t, etc. Drinking/Drugs/Smoking-Josie is offered a marijuana and, not knowing it's marijuana, takes and eats it. She gets high and dances around. When she goes to school the next day, people notice the stamp on her forehead that says "loser." This scene is funny, not
Adult Written bywonder dove December 27, 2012

Best 90's teen comedy!

Another awesome '90's teen comedy! This movie never gets old. Drew Barrymore is extremely likable, hilarious and her acting is spot-on! She plays a sweet down-to-earth 25 year old named Josie who works for the Chicago Sun Times. She's assigned a project to become 17 again and must go back to high school and report how teenagers live, what they think, where they go and what they do. It's not an easy task for her because her entire high school year was humiliating where she was extremely unpopular and disliked by many - including her ultimate crush who played a very mean prank on her around prom which is difficult for her to let go of. It's very touching and sad. But proving herself as a reporter is more important. After failing most of her assignment due to not being excepted by the "cool kids" once again, her younger brother Rob (who is easily liked by everyone) steps in and helps her out - he becomes a high school student too and joins the baseball team where in no time he becomes one of the most popular guys. Since he's "friends" with Josie, he recruits her into the cool crowd where she is finally accepted. She then gets to re-live her past while falling in love with her teacher. There's no violence, some sexual content like a funny sex-talk class, putting condoms on bananas (we actually did that in school too!) a teen/teacher crush, a school girl wants to sleep with Rob but gets rejected, kissing & flirting. Language is very mild. Great fun for 13++ and also has some very positive messages as Josie tells some ditzy high school girls what to expect in life and how important it is to be yourself, she also defends another nerd. I give it an easy 5 stars!
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 October 21, 2012

never been kissed

Families can talk about why high school is such a clique-ish stage of life, and what kids think will be different in college and afterward. Why did Josie want so badly to meet the limited standards of high school popularity? Why did her friends at work envy her? Why didn't she tell the truth earlier?
Kid, 11 years old March 27, 2012

Fine for older kids

I liked it because of the clever plot, but I was probably too young to understand it. I watched it with my mum, and it was lucky i did because i had so many questions about it. There wasn't really anyhting innapropriate, but I don't think anyonw my age or younger would really get it. The main character is quite a good role model and her brother is a great help to her, but lies durin gthe process. The popular girs are horrid to her in the beginning and the girk they consider uncool.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhayhaygirly February 1, 2012

CUTE!

I think it is a cute movie! Maybe some parental guidance is necessary, but there is nothing explicit. The worst part would have to be when they do an experiment in class using condoms. Personally, that doesn't threaten my review because lets face it, most 12 year olds know what a condom is. Just make sure the kids are emotionally mature to some extent, and you ought to be fine. I really enjoyed it!
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

NOT FOR KIDS in my opinion

NOT FOR KIDS. It's a great film. But has a few sexual themes and a relationship between a girl and her teacher (even though she is legal). I would not let my kids watch this if I had any. It is geared towards teenagers
Adult Written byilovegodsomuch July 29, 2011

Never Been Cuter

This is a wonderful love story! I mean, the title itself makes it appropriate for teens. "Never Been Kissed" implies that a girl can become a women without kissing boys and still find true love eventually. Thats a strong and overlooked message. The movie confronts defeat, being a geek, and reinventing oneself. All of which are incredibly relevant topics to any teenager! Not to mention Drew Barrymore is adorable and an excellent role-model.
Teen, 14 years old Written byFutureCritic July 23, 2011

Blah

This movie was kind of blah. I own it, but I've only watched it once. In some parts, it's so pathetic you have to look away. I don't like those kinds of movies. It's really not worth seeing. Vanilla in a styrafoam cup.