Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Next Gen

Great animation, solid messages; lots of cartoon violence.

Adult Written byruthven78 January 24, 2019

Basically I, Robot with some Big Hero 6

It has some pretty dark parts (people die), big fight scene between the two robots. But its basically the plot lines from I, Robot (complete with a guy saying he wants to kill all of mankind with robots that will blow up) and the inventor had made another robot designed to save them all. Yeah, exactly like I, Robot in that regard.

Adult Written byKrystalwirth January 9, 2019

Too many curse words

I really started to like the movie, but right out of the gate the play a song called "riot girl" from the band Bikini Kill. I liked that, but thought otherwise if I had a child watching. The profanity was what totally killed this movie!! I'm disappointed. The dog cussing and the robots that was just not right for a kids movie.

Adult Written bymle428 December 29, 2018

Mai has zero redeeming qualities

Mai is so bratty and unpleasant, that I had a hard time watching this movie with my son...she's a stereotypical angsty tween on steroids (and I'm writing this as a former angsty emo teen myself). She gets irrationally angry after her robot deletes his weapons, so he can save memories of her. It's so irrational, that I wanted to scream, "Why are you apologizing??" at my TV every time the robot apologized for being the cause of her inappropriate outbursts. I'm WAY more worried about my kid normalizing bratty behavior than I am about a few bleeped swear words.
Adult Written byOmelas December 22, 2018

Pretty intense and violent

If your kids regularly watch superhero movies, then it should be okay. I am not bothered by bad language- they watch so many bad word vids on internet, so a dog appearing to swear was funny. However, if you are bothered by incredibly intense fighting, vaporizing one of the more sympathetic characters, and a very T2 mangled humanoid coming after the girl, then okay! I had to cover my 10 yr old girls eyes during the creepy limp armed broken neck android scene. Oh and the school bully did t just taunt the main character, but had her physically beaten so the main character was in pain and sported a black eye for much of it (plus bully becomes her pal- no explanation for the turnaround or why she was so sadistic). Just need to put that out there. Thought it was okay with Jason sudeikis and John krasinsky and charlayne Yi all really funny actors. It was not...

Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byjlav December 1, 2018

A Serious but fun film about robots, memories and the need to unplug at times

If you've enjoyed insightful and entertaining films set in a future where robots do everything from style your hair and brush your teeth, to enforcing law, then this film should be on your radar. It comes with some serious themes, and it does those themes justice, and this should be considered before sharing it with your children. The main character is the only child in a family without a father. Her mother becomes obsessed with technology, leaving her daughter to develop a hatred for robots that can never fill the void in her life while distracting her mother's attention from her. The resentment is also connected to the bullying she is subjected to by fellow students who use their robots to hold her down and even to take an active role in the bullying. These include scenes of the father leaving in an argument and several scenes of the main character being hurt. Stumbling upon a secret project, she becomes friends with a new robot that was built to protect people. At first she uses the robot to carry out revenge and empower her against the robots she hates, but soon the robot itself calls to question the actions she has him carrying out, even suggesting that she could be friends with her enemies. Before long, a damaged memory core leads the robot to have to make a tough choice about which memories to keep, and which to delete to make space for the best. Themes of divorce and bullying are portrayed in mild manner, but are serious concepts. People make poor choices, and are subject to neglect, but these concepts are given a clear outcome that demonstrate a morally compelling caution about technology controlling your life. Played for laughs, the robot has a profanity filter that bleeps out most of what the dog says while barking at various things. The dog is very small, and has an inflated ego, so it is literally a dog whose bark is worse than his bite. Some will find this funny, others offensive, however it was not obvious what he was saying as there are times when almost everything he says is bleeped out. There was a background song that clearly has an "f" word removed. It surprised me that it was used in the film, and again it is in the background, so easily missed. Present through most of the film is a near constant stream of violence against and between robots. Infrequently, a human is threatened and a parent is abducted. The violence escalates towards the end of the film, shifting from slapstick to a more serious tone, including a damaged robot that looks like a man holding a gun to a girl's head, and another threatening to kill all humans. A man is suddenly vapourized, which I feel added nothing to the story except to reinforce a serious tone. (Truthfully, I feel the character would have been better served to have survived the scene and reappeared later to create more of a sense of hope in the final scene.) Remembering Toy Story 2's introduction wherein Buzz Lightyear fires a laser into a crystal, destroying thousands of enemies, Next Gen combines a similar scene with a Gundam-like final battle that is visually and emotionally impactful. While emotional at times, and a bit clumsy around the middle act, it is an experience that had both of my children (11y/o boy and 9 y/o girl) laughing and talking from start to finish. Afterward we had healthy conversation about bullies, violence and the moral choices reflected in the movie.

Adult Written bySpoopy2510 November 24, 2018

More for teenagers than children

This movie was fairly... different from a lot of mainstream animated movies. It's darker and more cynical. I feel like this movie is better for teenagers than for kids, but that's okay, it's cool to have an animated movie that's more for teenagers once in a while without being pandering (mostly). There's bleeped out swearing and pretty intense robot violence. The movie touches on a lot of pretty adult themes, like bullying, divorce and death of a parent. The main two characters, Mai and 7723, have a pretty cute and interesting chemistry and the movie does have a pretty good message, so I can't fault it for that. Though I feel like the third act drags on for too long. I probably wouldn't show this movie to younger children, but I feel like it's fine to show to older kids and teenagers.

Adult Written byBLEEPCOW November 21, 2018

Ok

Lots of cuss words.But bleeped out.At the middle song it says fu then bleeps out the ck.I don’t get why this is on the kids section of Netflix.Lots of violence.Lol just finished the movie.

Adult Written byMovieMom8 November 20, 2018

Not so kid friendly

Cute concept, but I am NOT a fan of the fact the beep out dialog to insinuate foul language including in the songs. The message in the songs is not what I would like my toddler to hear or even school age personally. One song states I am gonna so what I want, whenever the (cut out with an f sound) I want...ummm no. Not appropriate and especially for children. If you are going to make a kid movie, make a kid appropriate movie without all of the adult geared content insinuating foul or adult language. I am NOT a fan, any “good content” is masked by the bad to me that comes out of this. I would not even want my 11 year old getting some od this content stuck in his head.

Adult Written byWOWEETECHNOLOGY November 19, 2018

It's a Freakin good movie because it give's children a basic thought about swearing

I don't freakin care

Adult Written byNyc_mom November 2, 2018

Best ever! 4 older teens & adults ONLY!

Should be for teens and adults not kids! Gives a great message to parents , give your child some attention, and it's about friendship, basically a great message for someone who mature, the movie gave me the same feelings like Big hero6 , made me cry, made me sad, made me laugh, LOVED IT! But wouldn't let my 8 year old watch it! That's too much!

Adult Written bySensible Adult October 29, 2018

Disgusting! Shocking and NOT a kids movie!

I find it disgusting that this movie could be considered suitable for children in any way! It is probably the first movie that I have not checked out first on this site and I feel extremely disappointed that I let my children (9 and 12) watch this. Please believe all the PARENT reviews that are here already - these people are not being over-sensitive! This movie would have to be the most violent "kids movie" ever. Just because it is animated does not reduce the impact of it. The swearing is out of control - the "joke" of it is repeated excessively throughout the movie. It is bleeped out, but with such precision that you ( and your children) are in no doubt about what was said - repeatedly!!!....throughout the whole movie. Any positive messages that may be intended by the film makers are overshadowed by a general sense of doom and hopelessness - the friendly household robots become suicide bombers amongst a crowd in a stadium! I am so outraged that Netflix would think this is ok to market to kids.

Adult Written byjijhjhyuhguhjy October 28, 2018
Adult Written byjjjjjjjjjjjjjj October 26, 2018
Adult Written byMTIIKFEF October 24, 2018

Profanity in a kids movie???!!!

Why the **** would you put bleeped dialog in a kids movie?? Whoever thought that would be funny should NOT be in the business!!! Other than that it is a good movie,but COME ON!!

Adult Written byKorg October 22, 2018

It hit me emotionally...

I know a lot of people are going wild over the bleeped out swearing. "OMG THEY MIGHT'VE BLEEPED IT OUT, BUT THEY JUST SAID F--K! 0 STARS! BAD FILM! THIS IS FOR KIDS!?" It might be PG, but PG doesn't always mean "this film is meant for families." It's never meant that. Ever. And if your kids are like 6 years old, unless they've heard you say those words or you let them roam free on the internet, they won't understand diddley squat. The humor is spot on, the drama is tear jerking, the action is intense! It's a bit creepy too, not gonna lie. But THAT TWIST AT THE END WITH THE BAD GUY OMG I DIDN'T SEE IT COMING! Also I can relate to Mai. The anger, the rage, the moodiness...I felt it growing up. I feel for her. This film I give an A+! 10/10! One of the best films of the year! Exceeded my expectations! Worth a watch! Although if you are an overly PC person who finds BLEEPED OUT swearing offensive, I would recommend previewing it for the kids who in the internet age will never find out about those words they're bleeping out.

Adult Written byMWest0214 October 22, 2018

Not a children's movie

This is filth disguised as content for children.

Adult Written byCinemaMama October 15, 2018

Lots of violence and no strong message

This movie has some great actors and so despite having read reviews about how bad it is, I figured why not give it a shot. There was lots of bleeped curses, and I'm almost positive there was an f-word that was not bleeped in part of the soundtrack as well. The main character had a terrible attitude with everyone. She beat up kids who had beat her up prior, so it was not even like a "she's defending herself" moral that you could talk about but more of a "she's seeking revenge and will hurt them because they hurt her." The robot battle at the end of the movie was super intense for young kids, with her mom being kidnapped and held hostage. I could go on. I really wish I hadn't bothered with this one.

Parent of a 9 and 16 year old Written byMrD October 15, 2018

Too much

This movie turned out to be more violent than I had realized. Momo's profanity was problematic as well. The official review says there are lots of messages in this movie. I, as a mid-40s parent, was left confused as to what this movie was trying to say. How can we expect children to do any better? It was disappointing given it's supposed to be a family movie.

Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byHeath V. October 11, 2018

Could have been so much better

Barely any likable characters other than the robot (Project 77) whose name I don't remember actually being mentioned in the entire movie. The soundtrack is completely inappropriate as the Deep Vally song Gonnawanna plays through a sequence and although partially muted, the F-word is clearly part of the lyric. For being a kids movie, songs with expletives have no place in the movie. However when I think about it, the expletive laced song is really only par for the course as one of the running gags of the movie is a foul mouthed dog who frequently has strings of words bleeped in his dialogue. Even the mother has a scene where she is spouting out bleep curse words. Young kids will either be confused by the bleeping or realize the dog is saying bad words and think it is funny to say bad words. The main character, Mai, is a disturbed angry young woman who uses the fact that her father walked out on the family as justification to be a trouble makers who is insubordinate to her mother as well as other authorities. Her mother having taken solace in technology, is inattentive to her daughter, which make Mai develop a hatred for robots. When Mai befriends a unique, malfunctioning, weaponized robot (think Johnny 5 from Short Circuit), she uses the robot to destroy all robots she sees without regard to other peoples feelings or their right to ownership of private property. Mai does not suffer any consequences for these actions. There is a girl bully that mistreats Mai throughout the movie. Towards the second half of the movie Mai uses her robot friend to get revenge and tries to hurt the bully. Later at the end of the movie in a life and death situation Mai and bully magically become friends and the bully says "Mai, I never meant to hurt anyone", which is a stupid line as the bully girl specifically target Mia's emotional weak spot and physically had Mai held down and beaten. This is just lazy writing and a stupid way to try and redeem a character. The movie has great voice acting talent, interesting character designs, and is visually stunning. The iRobot rip-off theme is done well and the villain of the movie is actually really well done. If only they had tried harder to make the main characters likable, to create real character development throughout the movie rather than force development when the plot needed it, and left out the foul language this would have been a 5 star movie.

Adult Written byrochmaister October 9, 2018

excellent execution, lacking a little backbone

Honestly very impressed with the quality of this movie. I would say that it definitely is a teen movie though, not for the language [if i'm honest i think by 10 years old you've already heard all there is to hear] but because the themes in this movie are a bit above, not necessarily the understanding, but definitely the appreciation of younger kids. If you raised your kids on gundam and/or anything of the sort they'll love this. Honestly becoming more and more impressed by what netflix is outputting these days, i think they messed up the age qualification on this one but hey other than that it's a solid addition to a good library.