Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Next Gen

Great animation, solid messages; lots of cartoon violence.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byOoLaurieoO September 29, 2018

Adult Written byeeplank September 28, 2018

Scary images for younger kids

Lots of the reviews on this site have been about the foul language. And to be clear, that is certainly present, and for families for whom this is important, be cautious. I wasn't bothered by the profanity - it came as comic relief in an otherwise fairly dark movie. For us, what was most problematic was the violence. The villain (a Steve Jobs like character in charge of the robot factory) is actually a robot who has killed the human, assumed his identity, and is now trying to kill all the humans in the world. The "cartoon" violence that common sense lists in the description of the movie is actually quite explicit for an animated movie. Towards the end, when you begin to realize that the villain is a machine, his eyeball pops out and when he stands up, you see a red light coming out of the the empty socket. Very Terminator. That sequence was really disturbing for my kids. Also, in the climactic scene, the villain keeps coming back to try and kill the heroes, and each time, he looks worse and worse...more and more scary. There are strong themes of friendship, memory, family, and loss...but the violence made the movie too scary for our kids (ages 10, 9, and 7).

Adult Written byAdena_leach September 26, 2018

Not impressed with the “profanity”

Doesn’t matter if you beep out the profanity, it’s totally unnecessary and I’m very dissapointed that Netflix chose to include this.

Adult Written byAr02 September 25, 2018

Too much bleeping

We watched this movie with our kids 5-10 and no one really loved it. Angry and neglected girl, listens to loud obnoxious music, angry at the world, loner, hates the robots that basically replaced her with her mom. Violence was a little much for my younger kids. But the main thing that we all the bleeping out of language coming from the dog, and at one point the mom. My 10 yr old is old enough to figure out what words are being bleeped out. The dog is loud and profane and ruins the movie with unnecessary anger.

Adult Written byJenkins2 September 23, 2018

Vapid, snotty garbage

We gave this movie a try for about 10 minutes. It just seemed like another lazy attempt to reinforce negative cultural trends: the kid is snotty and unpleasant, the parents are useless and undeserving of respect, and as others have pointed out, there is no good reason to push the envelope on cursing in children’s cartoons. This movie is dog meat garbage for underachievers, in my opinion.

Adult Written byicedgem September 23, 2018

Angsty teen version of Big Hero 6!

I watched this with my 5 year old who picked up a line from a song 'I don't give a fu**. They just beeped out the ck... There's beeped out swearing throughout but you can make out what they're saying - it was obvious to my small child. This is like an angsty, teen version of Big Hero 6. The main character is a teen female with serious abandonment issues after her father leaves them. She acts out out by being violent and angry. There are some good messages but they're sandwiched between violence which comes from 'good' and 'bad' characters which is quite nuanced for a kids' film where they're used to things being a bit more black and white with goodies and baddies. It's pretty scary with a lot of threat and a human character is killed too. This would be enjoyed by pre-teens / early teens who liked Big Hero 6 but would err on the side of caution with sensitive kids - when the parents divorce, that's it, the dad has no relationship with the child anymore either - so watch within your own situation. The animation is great! I enjoyed it myself and watched the rest after the kids were scared off ;)

Adult Written bysarahmyriacarter September 22, 2018

What Big hero 6 should of been

Has everything Big hero 6 should of had
Parent of a 11 year old Written byGeine wade September 22, 2018

Im not sure about the bleeping but still pretty cool and awsome

Well I don't really know if the bleeping is very appropriate for kids but it is still very awesome and does have great messages and a good storyline I would say it's for a mature 11-year-old also it does have bullying but they turn to good towards the end of the movie great movie

Adult Written bySaramama September 22, 2018

Violent/Foul Language

Significant violence (gun and physical fighting). NOT for young children. They use the F word and beep it out. The word "kill people" is used throughout the movie. Lots of guns and gun fire. I put this on for young children because trailer looked good. Bad choice.

Adult Written byLisa F September 21, 2018

Not a movie geared towards kids

My first time to write a review on a movie and doing so because I am appalled at the industry making “kids” with cursing or the subtle cursing such at the bleeping our of swear words. As soon as I heard the dog bleeped out Inwas shocked. Waited a bit and happened again so we turned it off. Nothing redeeming from this movie that I saw and would not recommend to anyone.

Parent of a 10 year old Written bycastro.1 September 21, 2018

masking the F word was unexpected and unnecessary

The story line was okay, introducing a father leaving the household and a mother distracting herself with the new age robot and somewhat neglecting her daughter ... everything was okay until the part of when the family dog started to speak and was dropping bleeped out F word. I was completely and utterly in shocked. The dog mouthing the F word was so obvious and unmistakably so. Do not bother to watch this film with your children. I cannot believe this is acceptable or thought to be child appropriate. The F word was unnecessary and extremely redundant in a Childs film, specially rated TV-PG.

Adult Written byTinaLoui September 21, 2018

Overt use of the F-word and overall bad role models

So much is bad about this movie but the use of "I don't give a fu-" in one of the songs early on in the movie was enough to cause my husband and I to look at one another as if.... "Did I just hear what I thought I heard?!" I'm pleased we preview movies before allowing our children to watch them as PG is no guarantee of values these days. Next Gen appears in the beginning to be a warning of what might happen to the next generation if parents don't get out of their technology but this message was not sufficiently addressed and it would seem that the makers of this movie have no regard for what effect technology can have on the next generation through the watching of THIS movie with its profanities, violence and name calling. The lead character clearly has anger issues and troubles with bullying but the movie does nothing to teach children how to deal with these issues in a healthy manner rather than taking revenge.

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written bykp_seattle September 20, 2018

Very dark + violent for a kid's film

Adult Written byCkerr_10 September 18, 2018

NOT APPROPRIAT FOR CHILDREN UNDER 12

This movie is full of violence and bleeped out curse words. Even as an animated movie I was shocked at the violent story line with is just a knock off of I, robot. I dont recommend children under 12 watch this

Adult Written byMae28 September 17, 2018

This is not a kids movie

I was blew away when I put this movie on I thought it was a kids movie but its violence through the whole thing and what really got me was how much swearing there was that they bleeped out so you clearly knew they where swearing. Definitely would say this is not a kids movie!

Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byMargaret A. September 16, 2018
Adult Written byXen September 16, 2018

Started cute....completely inappropriate

Lyrics included multiple FU’s, references to Tinder. An incredible amount of “bleeped” profanity, although you can very obviously tell what they are saying. An incredible amount of violence, including a gun to the girls head. I’m SHOCKED Netflix approves of this in my children’s choices.

Adult Written byNicOlasC September 16, 2018

What’s with the “BLEEPS”

The the story line isn’t fluid enough for younger kids. Not to mention there’s multiple times where they bleep out swearwords, including the FU!! What’s wrong with these people producing and making this type of movie?? Why would you even think this is ok?? It doesn’t add humor or depth, it only adds disappointment for parents trying to enjoy movie night with their children. Absolute garbage, if you think vulgar language is funny in a movie for kids than you should have no part in the production of kids movies.

Adult Written byashaustrew September 16, 2018

A good one to watch together

As others have pointed out, there is some bleeped swearing (though not that much and not that obvious — the robot who can understand the dog puts on a “profanity filter” so it bleeps when the dog barks sometimes. My kid didn’t even notice what it meant), some violence and bullying, and some darker themes. I don’t personally have an issue with swearing. As for the other stuff, I think this is a good one to watch together if you have kids who are a bit younger than the suggested age range but still mature enough for a more complex story. Mine is 7. We watched together and talked about the bullying, family stuff, etc. It’s a cute movie with a good story and several laughs. I believe in helping kids understand sensitive topics vs avoiding them and this movie presents opportunities to do that. My daughter really enjoyed it and found it empowering.

Adult Written byjerome1204 September 16, 2018

Disturbing violence and obvious bleeped out but understandable swearing

Lots of robot violence. It's just robots (mostly), but it still has a lot of intense scenes. There's also a lot of swearing that isn't quite effectively bleeped out. You can still tell what the characters are saying.