Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Next Gen

Great animation, solid messages; lots of cartoon violence.

Adult Written byMtolch September 14, 2018

Not kid friendly

I was half-way paying attention while my 5 yr old was watching and then a song came on and it said “Do whatever the —- I want” I cannot believe this would be marketed as a kids movie.

Adult Written byBilly541 September 15, 2018

Are you kidding me?!?

Like all these other reviews have said, about halfway through the movie there is an OBVIOUS "f*ck" that gets bleeped out! Yeah I get that it was bleeped but c'mon! Thats freakin ridiculous!

Adult Written byjacjacjac September 12, 2018

Parents be warned

The story was ok but as soon as they tried to mask the F word with a beep while still being able to clearly see the characters mouth miming the word I turned it off. How is this acceptable in a children’s film.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byWinsmom5 September 16, 2018

No. Just...no.

Angry preteen girl seeks revenge on robts having them blown up and sliced in half over abandonment issues from her father leaving the family, then dying, and her mother having a relationship with her technology over her daughter. Said girl gets bullied, beat up by robots, then kills robots out of angry revenge. Said robots are secretly being programmed to kill the humans. Meanwhile, the angry girl's dog talks and says the "f" word very frequently and very clearly, (its bleeped but its also not bleeped well.) Just a very poor movie.

Adult Written byDaniellese September 16, 2018

Ruined by profanity

This seemed like a cute kids movie with some nice visuals. In my opinion this was absolutely ruined by the constant profanity beeing sensored out (beeping) I really don't see why this language was even included in a children's movie to begin with. In an hour 45 movie made for children there were about a dozen explicit language edits.

Adult Written bySylvia D. September 15, 2018

Too much bleeping!

I agree. It went way too far with the swear words and violence! Not a little kids movie.

Adult Written byalr63 September 14, 2018

Animated Terminator or Independence Day

I started out liking the message of this movie, but the violence toward the end was so appalling we turned it off. I don’t see how an animated version of violence on par with Terminator movies is considered PG by Netflix (though Commonsense Media lists the movie as NR, Netflix says it’s PG). We were surprised at how aggressively the villain was out to “kill all humans” and stated this repeatedly as violent scenes unfolded, but the absolute stopping point for us was when, after an apocalyptic scene with images that I thought insensitively evoked 9/11, he put a gun to Mai’s head and was going to kill her. That this kind of violence is allowed in animated films for kids and gets 3 stars even on a site like this speaks terrifying volumes to how much we’ve normalized excessive violence. The bleeping through swear words didn’t even register with me in comparison. This was an alarmingly and disturbingly violent movie.

Adult Written byDisneybride629 September 14, 2018

Too much bad language

It is not for kids. It was poorly scripted because of the bleeped out bad language. You can still tell what they are saying. It was unnecessary. Find something more kid friendly to watch. Lots of violence. Bullying involved as well.

Adult Written byRealRater December 16, 2018

The kid is a horrible person

So she tries to get her robot to beat up/shoot the kids that bullied her previously, the robot doesn’t like that reasonably goes away comes back and has to apologise for not killing kids. He has to get rid of his weapons systems so he has room for more good memories with the girl, this was before they were under attack. She blames him because a little later they get attacked by an enemy they had no idea existed and couldn’t defend themselves properly without the weapons. Basically the girl treats this AI with feelings like a weapon/object and doesn’t care if he loses his memories as long as he can still shoot stuff while she argues that nobody appreciates her. She is a horrible horrible human and I don’t really know why the robot likes her so much.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byMannFam September 15, 2018

Distasteful

Blantant profanities distract from the entirely too mature storyline at hand. SKIP IT!

Adult Written byEllio79 September 14, 2018

Bleeping out obvious profanity is totally inappropriate in a kid's movie!

I am so surprised that Common Sense Media, a website I trust to help me choose media for my kids and my classroom, would not consider bleeped out profanity an issue at all, it says language "not present"-Yes, it is! Very disappointed in this review from the "expert".
Parent of a 8 year old Written byColinCommon2018 September 14, 2018

**BLEEP**

We only made it half way through with our 8 year old. There is a lot of violence (someone even gets vaporized) and it is pretty dark. One of the biggest things is that some characters swear quite a bit, and they've decided to do this and then bleep it out - poorly. You know what they're saying. I have NO idea why Netflix is doing this (I've seen it on another show too), but there's no need for it and it combines with the other issues to make this one all a bit too much. We'll stick with Pixar thanks.

Adult Written byMelissacool September 11, 2018

Good story line, but a little dark

Dark scenes that are too deep for smaller or sensitive kids. A lot was spoken about the main characters parents divorce and I felt like the way it was portrayed (father leaving them forever) could have caused some anxiety in my kids about whether that would ever happen to them. I had to talk with them afterwards. The music selections are heavy metal rage rocky and in one song the f curse is silenced out but the “fu” is heard and just the “ck” is silenced out. We had the captions on and we saw the “fu” up on the screen. Good movie, but not worth it for our family. Netflix really walks the fine line.
Adult Written byLindzK_momof3 September 17, 2018

Bleeped cussing could be seen and heard

All of these trailers made this movie look wonderful for my kids (1,4,and 6)... so we decided to make a family movie night out of it....It was great minus the bleeping cuss words. Like... why? It’s supposed to be a kids movie, why not keep it just that and keep the innuendo of cuss words out all together? It made no sense at all. We can safely say I most likely will not let my kids watch it again, as my 6 year old is old enough to understand what it is saying behind the bleeps. Movie would be spectacular without all of that stuff in it, I felt it just took away from the movie for my kiddos and for myself. On another note the main character is severely depressed and has some very violent tendencies... The parents and children ignore each other all of the time until the very end of the movie. There is a lot of violence, the main villain has the intent to blow up and kill every human being on the planet and demonstrates using dummies and constantly chases others with a gun specially designed to obliterate everything. So be cautious what age you introduce this to your child!

Parent of a 7 year old Written byJackchill September 17, 2018

Netflix deserves F for rating this PG

As others have said here, the story is ok overall but the movie is not appropriate for under 13. There are scary scenes of the main character attacking others with a baseball bat and her mother being kidnapped by bad guys and endless explosions and people being killed. Is it because this is animated that they think these things are not scary to young people? The bleeped out foul language was just icing on this already dark cake. There's also a song about half way through with another bleeped out f bomb and the delightful lyrics of "I can do whatever the f*** I want." Of course the angry teen gets better by the end and I get that that is supposed to be "positive" message, but it takes a more mature viewer than your average 10 year old to get that message and not just see people being killed by evil robots. I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO CONTACT COMMON SENSE MEDIA ABOUT THIS CURRENT RATING OF 7+.

Adult Written bychadniecole September 15, 2018

TERRIBLE MESSAGES!

Warning! This movie is absolutely disgusting both with its cronic violent messages and vulgar language throughout the entire movie. We kept regretfully waiting for it to take a turn for the better but it persists the entire time! I’m disgusted and disappointed that Common Semse would give it the review it did and they totally missed the mark. I’m so upsetting kids saw this filth:/

Adult Written byNextinline September 15, 2018

Could have been great....

There was great potential and could have been a wonderful family movie. The story of self-sacrifice is a great message and testiment about true love. However, the excessive voilance and focus on killing all humans was too much, not PG appropriate. Worst part was the foul-mouth dog that could have otherwise been a funny character. Using bleeped cursed words for hummor is just lazy and not clever, and especially not appropriate in a PG movie. In the end, just disappointing...

Adult Written byJillms September 14, 2018

Shocking

I was shocked at how much violence and cursing (bleeped out) were in this movie. There is a "mean girl" who consistently uses an army of robots to beat up the main character. I was really blown away at the amount of violence in this movie between kids.

Adult Written byJenJon September 14, 2018

Decent Soundtrack with Terrible hints at bad Language

Another dad is gone or left the family kids movie with a slightly more interesting story. The real MVP of the movie is the soundtrack, it's definitely where they spend the budget, but it would be nice to see a family movie where the dad is not weak/absent/stupid. Shows a LOT of violence, even kids punching each other, and rebellion. What really breaks the movie for me is the MANY hints at foul language. From the censored dog that spits out profanities more consistently than Samuel L Jackson to a song which lyrics literally go "dont give a Fu**". Don't know why they think kids need to be exposed to any language at all, it does nothing to move the movie forward. And if the argument is for realism, it's a futuristic movie with flying evil robots....so no.... Also the robot/cyborg thing at the end was freaking creepy.

Adult Written bynduns September 11, 2018

Way better than expected

I went into this film expecting a fun time waster. What I instead got was a film that not only blew me away but wound up being one of my favorites this year. The relationship between the two leads is handled so well and while Mai's actions aren't commendable most of the time, you understand where she's coming from. And being a Netflix-exclusive film (Unless it gets a DVD release in the future), it gets away with more than what you'd typically expect in a modern PG-rated film. (I would say swearing is a huge issue if it wasn't all censored, though there is one very brief uncensored use of 'crap') The film is very violent, but most of it is inflicted on robots with only one human character biting the dust in a scene that really shocked me but also made me laugh with the execution. Because of this, I'm not 100% sure if I could really recommend this to the youngest of kids. Maybe 9 and up, but not younger than that. (In fact, I'm 90% sure this was never intended to be a family film and just happened to get a PG rating) My only real gripe with this film is that, well, some of the side characters could have had more of a purpose and Mai's mother is really underdeveloped. But all-in-all, I highly recommend this. Though, again, maybe best to show it to an older kid.