Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Next Gen

Great animation, solid messages; lots of cartoon violence.

Adult Written byWOWEETECHNOLOGY November 19, 2018

It's a Freakin good movie because it give's children a basic thought about swearing

I don't freakin care

Adult Written byNyc_mom November 2, 2018

Best ever! 4 older teens & adults ONLY!

Should be for teens and adults not kids! Gives a great message to parents , give your child some attention, and it's about friendship, basically a great message for someone who mature, the movie gave me the same feelings like Big hero6 , made me cry, made me sad, made me laugh, LOVED IT! But wouldn't let my 8 year old watch it! That's too much!

Adult Written bySensible Adult October 29, 2018

Disgusting! Shocking and NOT a kids movie!

I find it disgusting that this movie could be considered suitable for children in any way! It is probably the first movie that I have not checked out first on this site and I feel extremely disappointed that I let my children (9 and 12) watch this. Please believe all the PARENT reviews that are here already - these people are not being over-sensitive! This movie would have to be the most violent "kids movie" ever. Just because it is animated does not reduce the impact of it. The swearing is out of control - the "joke" of it is repeated excessively throughout the movie. It is bleeped out, but with such precision that you ( and your children) are in no doubt about what was said - repeatedly!!!....throughout the whole movie. Any positive messages that may be intended by the film makers are overshadowed by a general sense of doom and hopelessness - the friendly household robots become suicide bombers amongst a crowd in a stadium! I am so outraged that Netflix would think this is ok to market to kids.

Adult Written byjijhjhyuhguhjy October 28, 2018
Adult Written byjjjjjjjjjjjjjj October 26, 2018
Adult Written byMTIIKFEF October 24, 2018

Profanity in a kids movie???!!!

Why the **** would you put bleeped dialog in a kids movie?? Whoever thought that would be funny should NOT be in the business!!! Other than that it is a good movie,but COME ON!!

Adult Written byKorg October 22, 2018

It hit me emotionally...

I know a lot of people are going wild over the bleeped out swearing. "OMG THEY MIGHT'VE BLEEPED IT OUT, BUT THEY JUST SAID F--K! 0 STARS! BAD FILM! THIS IS FOR KIDS!?" It might be PG, but PG doesn't always mean "this film is meant for families." It's never meant that. Ever. And if your kids are like 6 years old, unless they've heard you say those words or you let them roam free on the internet, they won't understand diddley squat. The humor is spot on, the drama is tear jerking, the action is intense! It's a bit creepy too, not gonna lie. But THAT TWIST AT THE END WITH THE BAD GUY OMG I DIDN'T SEE IT COMING! Also I can relate to Mai. The anger, the rage, the moodiness...I felt it growing up. I feel for her. This film I give an A+! 10/10! One of the best films of the year! Exceeded my expectations! Worth a watch! Although if you are an overly PC person who finds BLEEPED OUT swearing offensive, I would recommend previewing it for the kids who in the internet age will never find out about those words they're bleeping out.

Adult Written byMWest0214 October 22, 2018

Not a children's movie

This is filth disguised as content for children.

Adult Written byCinemaMama October 15, 2018

Lots of violence and no strong message

This movie has some great actors and so despite having read reviews about how bad it is, I figured why not give it a shot. There was lots of bleeped curses, and I'm almost positive there was an f-word that was not bleeped in part of the soundtrack as well. The main character had a terrible attitude with everyone. She beat up kids who had beat her up prior, so it was not even like a "she's defending herself" moral that you could talk about but more of a "she's seeking revenge and will hurt them because they hurt her." The robot battle at the end of the movie was super intense for young kids, with her mom being kidnapped and held hostage. I could go on. I really wish I hadn't bothered with this one.

Parent of a 9 and 16 year old Written byMrD October 15, 2018

Too much

This movie turned out to be more violent than I had realized. Momo's profanity was problematic as well. The official review says there are lots of messages in this movie. I, as a mid-40s parent, was left confused as to what this movie was trying to say. How can we expect children to do any better? It was disappointing given it's supposed to be a family movie.

Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byHeath V. October 11, 2018

Could have been so much better

Barely any likable characters other than the robot (Project 77) whose name I don't remember actually being mentioned in the entire movie. The soundtrack is completely inappropriate as the Deep Vally song Gonnawanna plays through a sequence and although partially muted, the F-word is clearly part of the lyric. For being a kids movie, songs with expletives have no place in the movie. However when I think about it, the expletive laced song is really only par for the course as one of the running gags of the movie is a foul mouthed dog who frequently has strings of words bleeped in his dialogue. Even the mother has a scene where she is spouting out bleep curse words. Young kids will either be confused by the bleeping or realize the dog is saying bad words and think it is funny to say bad words. The main character, Mai, is a disturbed angry young woman who uses the fact that her father walked out on the family as justification to be a trouble makers who is insubordinate to her mother as well as other authorities. Her mother having taken solace in technology, is inattentive to her daughter, which make Mai develop a hatred for robots. When Mai befriends a unique, malfunctioning, weaponized robot (think Johnny 5 from Short Circuit), she uses the robot to destroy all robots she sees without regard to other peoples feelings or their right to ownership of private property. Mai does not suffer any consequences for these actions. There is a girl bully that mistreats Mai throughout the movie. Towards the second half of the movie Mai uses her robot friend to get revenge and tries to hurt the bully. Later at the end of the movie in a life and death situation Mai and bully magically become friends and the bully says "Mai, I never meant to hurt anyone", which is a stupid line as the bully girl specifically target Mia's emotional weak spot and physically had Mai held down and beaten. This is just lazy writing and a stupid way to try and redeem a character. The movie has great voice acting talent, interesting character designs, and is visually stunning. The iRobot rip-off theme is done well and the villain of the movie is actually really well done. If only they had tried harder to make the main characters likable, to create real character development throughout the movie rather than force development when the plot needed it, and left out the foul language this would have been a 5 star movie.

Adult Written byrochmaister October 9, 2018

excellent execution, lacking a little backbone

Honestly very impressed with the quality of this movie. I would say that it definitely is a teen movie though, not for the language [if i'm honest i think by 10 years old you've already heard all there is to hear] but because the themes in this movie are a bit above, not necessarily the understanding, but definitely the appreciation of younger kids. If you raised your kids on gundam and/or anything of the sort they'll love this. Honestly becoming more and more impressed by what netflix is outputting these days, i think they messed up the age qualification on this one but hey other than that it's a solid addition to a good library.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bykymberley October 5, 2018

It's just "bleeping" bad

Why bother bleeping out all of the curse words, it's still pretty obvious and horribly inappropriate. Might as well leave the cussing and give it a higher rating. This is the reason why this generation has the issue it does. This is not normal. This is disrespectful and crude. Pretty disappointed!

Adult Written byarh405 October 4, 2018

Adult Written by[email protected] October 3, 2018

Lots of Violence

I didn't see a positive message in this movie. It was very disappointing and I would not watch it again. The kids were not into it. There are many parts where characters in the movie are having their words bleeped out because they are pretending to cuss. The main bad guy just talks about how he wants to kill everyone. He points a gun to everyone's head and it just did not make sense.

Adult Written bykthompson468 October 2, 2018

Bad, Bad, Bad

I had seen this advertised a lot by Netflix so I thought, Okay we'll try it. I wish we wouldn't have. I began dozing off, only to wake up to a cussing dog, bleeped out, but what the heck?? Thought okay, isn't much worse than the cussing on Shrek, dozed off again only to be woke shortly after by my screaming 3 year old. THE AMOUNT OF VIOLENCE in this movie is ridiculous! Immediately turned it off and will not watch again.

Parent of a 7, 10, and 12 year old Written byAndrew W. October 2, 2018

Throw Disney/Pixar and Sci-Fi in a Blender and this Too Violent Movie Comes Out

Huh. Netflix has a cool looking Pixar like movie. I should have read the reviews here first. I would say only appropriate for Ages 12 and up. I am sorry I let the 6 and 8 yo watch it. First the swearing. I am surprised that the reviews here focus more on the swearing than on the violence. Somewhat telling about our society and culture. Yes there are bleeped out swear words. But my kids know what adult words are that they shouldn't say them. So not as big a deal for me. So about the violence. Take Iron Giant, Big Hero Six, and Wall-E and blend that with The Terminator and The Matrix and sprinkle in some 2001 and you have this movie. Add in some VERY broad themes of parent abandonment anger Issues and bullying. Also parent neglect due to technology. And note, these issues are handled in a very ham handed manner. This gives you Next Gen. So the violence. The story of the movies is robots want to destroy humanity. Everyone. With robot bombs. There is a lot of robot on robot violence but also a man with gun holding it to peoples heads including a child. These are very explicit and strong images. He also vaporizes a main human character while doing this. Pretty bold for a PG kids movie these days. So as a lover of sci-fi the last ultra violent robot battle was very awesome. I can see the rest of the movie was just dressing to get to this point. It is an all out anime inspired battle robot nerd fest. But you also can't tell me that 100s to 1000s of people didn't die in that battle. So while I can appreciate that for what it is Netflix just should have made THAT gundam type movie with a PG-13+ rating instead of trying to re-purpose this as some type of tween Pixar lite movie. It did not work at all and was less for it and annoyed me for letting my kids watch. So much so that I wrote this review.

Parent Written bylaura M. October 1, 2018
Parent Written byaimee S. September 30, 2018

Inappropriate for young kids, and not interesting to older teens

This movie was terrible. I wish I had read the parental reviews before turning this on for my family. Kids ranging 8 to 12. My husband and I shared glances multiple times throughout the movie with the (is this for real?) glance. Movie message was weak, language was horrible, tons of swearing bleeps, slang inappropriate for kids under 12. And 80% of the movie was robots killing other robots violently. TWO THUMBS DOWN.

Adult Written byCarman001 September 29, 2018

Funny, Good Animation, Extremely Flawed Moral

So, me and my wife just finished this movie. I was getting slowly more and more "What the heck?" in my head as she was having her new "friend" do what would be the equivalent of millions of dollars of property damage with absolutely zero correction from anyone, any time. The moral behind that is vandalism and property damage are just fine if you have a tragedy in your past... Then, the first part that really made my head go "Wow, did I just see what I thought I just saw?" was when she had the robot trap here "nemesis," soccer-playing enemy in a cage and asked it to "Blast Her!" (which would have been murder...) After, they only half-heatedly address that that was "not what she meant" later. After that, the last part that got me to cringe was that the "nemesis" said later that she "never meant to hurt her" and then the movie just went on and portrayed them as "friends." "Nemesis" did mean to hurt her. Her and her friends had their robots lay a "beatdown" on her and she was an intentional, terrible bully the entire movie before that. They never addressed these two major issues and also didn't come full-circle in the end and have either the robot or her mother have a serious talk about the actions prior. To me, this movie is not at all a kid's movie due to that (mainly), the language (F-bomb dog), the extreme violence (given it's mostly robot on robot, but still.), and the fact that they barely addressed that they actually murdered, on screen, the "good" inventor. I can't, in good conscience, recommend this movie to anyone, much less a child. (Only PG?)