All member reviews for Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

Fun, fast-paced sequel is more upbeat than the original.

Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written bymichugalug July 12, 2009

e.g. Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

Ok, so this is a movie my 9-year-old loved, but...not me. Good historical information, however, I don't approve of the following: 1. Amelia Earhart slapping the main character 2. The monkey slapping scene where the main character slaps the monkies (same as 1st movie) 3. The characters saying "I'm going to kill you", "I'm going to kill your friends", "Kill them!", etc. and also the word "murder". 4. The long overly passionate kiss 5. And words like "stupid", dum-dum to name a couple. 6. The main character stealing the badge after man-handling the security guard. What is the need to put all this in the movie? It would have been fine without it.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byakbmccain June 4, 2009

Great Family Movie

My 3 year old daughter and 6 year old son laughed and talked about this movie all the way home and are still talking about it!
Parent Written byLDSWarrior March 19, 2010

Good Movie, Bad Mouth.

The story line went well, There were a few parts that were educational, I enjoyed the small tidbits of history embedded in the movie. It was a creative scene to see different war leaders personalties re-enacted, and fit together in "teams" of good and bad. The movie was also much less violent then it could have been, The message of fighting for something, and friendship was uplifting and true to good morals. I was turned off by the repetitive use of "oh my God" by the Pharaoh during a dispute with Ben Stiller. He honestly used the phrase a good 6 -9 times, making me cringe and want to turn it off. Although comical, I believe the dispute between a Museum Guard and Ben Stiller was a little mean. Language that, although happens, I do not want my kids re-enacting to one another. Bottom Line: Don't watch it if you are worried about your children. If the things I mentioned don't bother you, it is a great movie; educational, humorous and standing for good morals.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion December 27, 2009

Funny, Amusing, and Silly

NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM 2 is a movie-going guilty pleasure. It is so funny and enjoyable, but so stupid and nonsensical that you feel weird for liking it so much. The script is full of holes, and sentimental dialogue cuts action sequences neatly in half (resulting in uneven pacing). There are plenty of groan-worthy "believe-in-yourself" moments, and, let's face it...who believes that Ben Stiller can understand the Capuchin language? Still, there are many, many moments in the film that are so effortlessly appealing that you can't help but beam and laugh. Amy Adams is perfect as Amelia Earhart, with her gutsy persona, 1920-isms, and charismatic grin. There are also several clever moments to remember: a troop of bobblehead Einsteins, General Custer discussing comically flawed battle plans, Honest Abe Lincoln (from the Lincoln Memorial) delivering famous quotes left and right at all characters, and a tiny Octavius being dragged through the grass by a squirrel. This is a good family movie for kids who won't ask too many questons. Adults will be able to see right through the cheesy plot and its holes, but will doubtless be amused and charmed, as I was. Plus, there is little objectionable content. There are two "d**n"s, and a couple of scenes that could be scary for kids, but aren't violent. All the main characters (except the four main villains) are exceptional role models who promote teamwork, friendship, and doing what you believe in.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOldBob13 April 23, 2010

Not even half as good as the original.

In one part during this film, the main villian says that another character is "bizzare, werid, and a little bit goofy". That line could sum up Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian. Unlike it's predecessor, Smithsonian fails to capture humor correctly, making for a middling film. The story finds former night guard Larry Dayle at his new job--president of a gadgets company. While he is raking in the dough from his new glow-in-the-dark flashlight, his friends at the Museum of Natural History are in trouble. They are about to be shipped out to a new museum, home of the evil Kamunrah. The film may have a fun-sounding storyline, but it is stale and overused, with many pop-culture references and consumersion. The jokes are stale (they range from Jonas Brother-sounding cupids to uncomfortable kisses between Amelia Earhart and Larry), the special effects are lousy, and solid performances are wasted due to a bad script. Indeed, this was a bizzare and goofy movie. Stick with it's predeccors
Kid, 11 years old December 28, 2009

Great for adults and kids!

Night at the Museum 2 is a great movie with heart. A few uses of d**m, and a few kisses, but nothing too bad. It's hillarious and also filled with action. Kids under seven may be scared of the part where you see the creatures come from the underworld, but it's a quick scene and there is not much violence. Jed, the little guy, is so funny in the movie. 67 times better than the first!! Overall, it's a story about friendship and teamwork. Great family movie to rent!
Parent Written byoweing September 4, 2011

Gotta Love it

If you like Ben Stiller you will love this. The dialog is witty and fast paced in the right areas with many great slapstick like moments thrown in. I loved how the writers took advantage of weaving in a lot historical characters - these aren't real rubies and "a little advice here: simplify..."
Teen, 14 years old Written byPuddingprince101 January 22, 2011

Language is Crap

Kids shouldn't be so close to words like these. They aren't even close to what THIS freshman in high school hears, but still, 7 year old kids shouldn't be listening to this crap. But still a good movie.
Kid, 11 years old December 29, 2009

Amelia Earhart (Amy Adams) steals the show!

I love this movie, but the ending wasn't great. Amelia definitally shows that girls cn do anything boys can do. Some little kids could get scared. Walmart is a very big deal in the beginning of the movie.
Kid, 11 years old December 24, 2009

great movie

It's a great movie with teamwork!
Kid, 11 years old November 25, 2009

good for the family
Kid, 9 years old September 1, 2009

boring

..........
Teen, 13 years old Written bygreenactress July 10, 2009

funny

Good movie, totallyapropriate, not as good as the first one, but very funny. Good family film.
Parent of a 5, 10, and 11 year old Written bybnwoods1 June 9, 2009

Age appropriate, but not very entertaining

I didn't enjoy this movie very much. My kids saw the first film and we liked it a lot, but this one was a bit contrived and lacked the creativity of the first film. Overall, it was a bit of a disappointment.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydstnlvr22 June 2, 2009

not yet! :(

I havent seen it before but i am going to but by the Ads. It looks AMAZING
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bysusanls May 28, 2009

Good, except for this one part.....

The only problem that I had with this movie was the scene where Amelia and Larry are hugging good-bye. The cowboy Jedidiah was hiding in Larry's shirt pocket at the time and remarked that he "got to second base". While my kids didn't "get" the joke, they asked what that meant. It was just not necessary in this movie.
Kid, 12 years old May 26, 2009

AWESOME MOVIE!!!!!!!!

THIS MOVIE WAS SO FUNNY AND WHEN ABRHAM LINCOLN CAME ALIVE AND LARRY TOLD HIM TO FREEZE, HE LOOKED LIKE A PERSON DANCING AND I WAS LAUGHING SO HARD. THIS MOVIE WAS SO FUNNY THAT EVERYONE WAS LAUGHING AT THE FUNNY SCENES.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bytina c. May 26, 2009

This movie was terrible compared to the original (which we loved). There was no character development and the story was downright boring. We were sorry we spent our hard earned money on tickets and concessions for such a lame movie.
Kid, 11 years old May 25, 2009

Parent of a 8, 9, 11, and 13 year old Written byAge approved dad December 22, 2014

Night at the muesum: Battle of the smithstone