All member reviews for Night of the Living Dead

Oft-copied zombie classic is still intense and gory.

Teen, 15 years old Written byThe Person Guy January 2, 2012

NOTLD

This movie is good but VERY SCARY AND GORY. Some blood is shown where zombies are killed. The worst parts are a human being stabbed repeatedly with tons of blood, and zombies eating human body parts. One zombie is naked (seen from the back) and their makeup can look very gross. Little language, some smoking. I stress that this movie is SCARY. I saw it at 15 and I was very scared, mainly within the first 10 minutes.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 December 11, 2011

Its in black and white.Recommend to all ages.

This is an instant classic.Without a doubt ,one of the best zombie movies in history.The ending is awesome (MAJOR SPOILER) Ben,one of the characters of the movie gets mistaken for a ghoul and Shot in the head then he is Cremated on a burning pyre really great story the violence don't worry about it it's all in black and white
Kid, 11 years old November 18, 2011

Really creepy but disturbing

I think it'd be on 10+ if it wasn't so gross. I liked it and there was no sex or language so if you don't get grossed out or creeped out easily than you'd love it! But this is a scary movie and, in reality, it's nothing compared to other scary movies.
Kid, 12 years old November 15, 2011

AWESOME AND MORE AWESOME

I saw it when I was 4 along with Halloween, Frankenstein, and Dracula series. This movie's just kinda insane and your kids might cry. They MIGHT! I didn't I'm just guessing. It's so good that I'm reading the book about how they made it. This was the seed for my filmmaking career.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylitlbuddie July 19, 2011

A classic

It was a lot less violent than other movies that are rated pg-13 these days, and it was not scary, only a bit B&W bloody
Teen, 15 years old Written byJaysnake July 6, 2011

A truely great and terrifying classic.

It was a very good movie with plenty of disturbing scenes and scary zombies. There was no swearing or sexual content. Just voilence, gore, and terrifying zombies. You should see this classic, it is great.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 June 1, 2011

B&W horror film is not rated; probably R back then, most likely PG-13 nowadays.

My rating: PG-13 for images of zombie horror violence and some gore. [NOTE: In 2011, there is probably one factor that might make it R rated, which is the scene in which the undead are eating the intestines of the humans they have killed. It's not graphic, of course, and it's in black and white, of course, but it's gross.]
Teen, 14 years old Written byagneumeyer April 14, 2011

Groundbreaking Film is Relatively Tame by Today's Standards

In 1968 Night of the Living Dead broke ground in terms of gore and violence. In 2011, not so much. In a world where I often see three year olds walking out of R-rated theaters, Night of the Living Dead is not the worst possible movie to watch with any kids around. It's Creepy, Atmospheric, and Yes, Violent, but not in a way that would invoke any reprocussions.
Teen, 13 years old Written byashowiscool April 5, 2011

Great film, but a tad violent

I loved this movie and I don't really see anything wrong with it for teens, but I definately wouldn't show it to a younger kid.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySage_U December 14, 2010
This is a wonderful movie! Not really scary at all. Though the scene where the lady gets stabbed by her 6 year old zombie daughter is a little bloody. This is like a Zombie master piece!
Teen, 13 years old Written byPYEsinc October 3, 2010
If this is the classic George A. Romero "Night of the Living Dead" this review's talking about, then I don't know why CSM rates it "iffy for ages 16-17". I just saw this film about a month or so ago--it was pretty violent, but 1. it's in black-and-white and 2. there are two scenes I can remember that are disgusting (not QUITE scary though), which are a. the scene where the dead girl takes a gardening tool and starts stabbing her living mother over and over with it, and b. the scene where the zombies are eating human intestines (again, in black-and-white, and impossible to believe to be realistic, if any form of real at all). The horror starts out (and pretty much ends) as lame horror--just the usual sudden music played to resemble that the "living dead" are coming--but nothing at all is graphic. So I say "iffy for ages 12-13"!
Kid, 12 years old July 26, 2010

Its Unrealizm Makes it Okay

Most likely the most controversial movie of its time, Night of the Living Dead is the grandfather of all zombie movies. The black-and-white of the film adds a little bit of unrealizm to it, and the zombies are so freaking slow! Honestly, a trailer for Zombieland is scarier than this movie, but it is pretty violent. It gave the the creeps, but didn't scar me for life. A great warm up film to the zombie or horror genres that teaches a very important lesson: don't stick together or you'll get murdered by zombies.
Kid, 12 years old July 21, 2010

A classic

This movie was controversial for its time. It was one of the reasons the MPAA was founded. Suggested MPAA rating: R for zombie violence and gore
Kid, 11 years old April 25, 2010

classic, and revoulutionary

Now, i'm going to defend myself on this decision, i say 10+ because it is pretty creepy, and they would have to be mature enough to appreciate this masterpiece.
Teen, 16 years old Written byluke3854 October 11, 2009

Good for non squemmish or easly scared people

Ok to start the movie is in black and white Its pretty gory though you see images like a young girl ( who was zombiafied ) killing her mother with a gardening spade later eating her , and zombies eating dismembered human bodies , i mean its a zombie movie / Now bad role models in the movie people turn on each other and kill them or injure them , there is also a scene where a man punches a woman unconscious Soo make sure they know not to do that in real life , this movie is suspense type PS : dont isten to the people commenting on for age 2 or 6 i highly dont recommend that
Kid, 11 years old July 16, 2009

Violence is its purpose.

This movie is explicitly violent. Even though it is a horror classic, it isn't very good. And they never really explain why the dead came back. They just rose out of the grave for no reason.
Adult Written byClassicCultReviewer June 17, 2009
Adult Written bydemonspawnmom April 9, 2008

Many imitators, no equals.

This movie was one of the first horror movies to cast a black man as an intelligent, articulate character instead of a stereotype. The final scenes of the movie are still shocking and effective. On the whole, this is a well-acted movie, but it's too intense for children.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written bydamoviecritic April 9, 2008

Over-rated

This is considered one of the classics of horror cinema. Unfortunately, it doesn't hold up. The acting is poor. The zombie effects aren't interesting. It is remarkable that this movie, even in the late 60's was considered shocking with director Herschell Gordon Lewis working to give us such films as, The wizard of Gore, and The Gore Gore Girls. This film has good direction that other shock movies lack, but it also lacks shock value for any modern audience.