All member reviews for Nim's Island

Book-based tropical adventure is good family fun.

Kid, 9 years old December 29, 2009

Nim's Island was okay.

This movie was not scary for me. I saw it when I was eight. My family liked it but I thought it wass okay. So I thought that I should give it a three. When Nim injured he knee and puss started coming out I thought that that was gross. I say 8+ because I saw all the other reviews and saw that kids 7- got frightned.
Kid, 10 years old June 16, 2010

Good for anyone 6 and up for sure.

LOVE IT! I would not say its the best but if was very well done. I think kids of all ages ^ and up could defiantly see it.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byRubikh April 9, 2010
I liked it and my daughter age 18 thinks that it's an okay movie. What I admire the most is the powerful imagination of a writer who seems to be a coward in real. But when she receives a call for help from a child stuck on an island, she overcomes her phobia of real adventure by her inner love for expedition.
Teen, 14 years old Written byilovecookiez April 6, 2011

Crappy.

I thought this movie was pretty good... until the ending. The ending didn't make sense in any way and I wish this movie never came. I've never read the book and now I'm grateful.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPrincessNoriBori February 19, 2011

Great Movie, A Little Scary.

It's not a bad movie, I quite liked it. Had a good plot and had enough scary moments to keep anybody into it. I really really liked it. I'd say 8 and up because it's a little frightening at times.
Adult Written byhomeschool mom April 9, 2008

Great movie

This movie was quite entertaining. It is a good family movie. My 14 yo daughter and her friend loved it. Jodie Foster's roll of the OCD, agoraphobic is quite hilarious. I'm not fond of spiders, so the spider scene was quite creepy, but in no way scary. Also, there is one scene where Nim falls and cuts her leg. It is a little bloody, but very brief.
Adult Written byspongebobrocks22 April 9, 2008

good kids movie,even if its predictible

nice movie that i thought was gonna suck
Teen, 13 years old Written byEragonopotter July 20, 2011

Just fine?

Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 16, 2011
i loved the movie. i thought it was really good. its not scary.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byhilew January 17, 2010

Fun fun

Character w/ agoraphobia might be a bit over kids heads. And some fantasy scenes were confusing - but it was a lot of fun and some real out load laughs.
Adult Written byauntlisa42 April 9, 2008

Fabulous mother/daughter fun at the movies for a change!

It was such a treat to have an adventure-loving, science minded, not-mean-girl heroine in a children's movie. I took two 7 year olds, a 13 year old (going on 18) and all four of us enjoyed it immensely. One of the 7 year olds hid her eyes at certain points that were a bit too scary. It was such great to go to a movie for girls that wasn't about shopping, finding a husband, being sexy, or involving a romantic fairy tale. It was great to see Nim figure out how to survive and solve problems. This past week I have been asking my daughter "what do you think Nim would have done if she had that problem" and it starts an interesting conversation!
Adult Written bymyinbox4u April 9, 2008

Enjoyable!!

My husband and I took my 8 year old son and his friend who is 9 and we all enjoyed this movie. It had a lot of action and it was cute to see how Nim was with the animals. We thought the part that Jodie Foster played was a funny twist to the movie.
Kid, 11 years old March 2, 2015

Nim's Island: What Parents Should Know

This movie contains a girl and her father living on a deserted island. Nim's father leaves and Nim is alone during a hurricane which might scare kids. Nim's father is also suffering alone at sea. Be awear at one point, Nim takes a fall and gets a gross bloody cut on her knee. Later a disterbed OCD crazy lady comes to save her. When Nim thinks all is lost she eventually realizes the true meaning of family. Also, cute animals :)
Kid, 12 years old June 29, 2014
It's good. Some action and intense scenes.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 17, 2012

nims island

Families can talk about whether this kind of movie is as entertaining as one with lots of special effects and/or animation. Kids: Which kind of adventure do you like better, and why? What makes Nim different from many other kid characters in movies and TV shows? Do you think she's a good role model? What about Alex Rover? What do Alex and Nim learn during the movie? What would you do in Nim's situation? Do you think it was right for her father to leave her alone on the island? Families who've read the book can compare and contrast the two. Which do you like better, and why?
Kid, 8 years old August 21, 2010

BOO!!!

All I have to say, saddest, scariest movie ever (Mom and all that blood)
Parent of a 5, 8, and 9 year old Written byhadleygirls March 14, 2010

Good for my 4th grade girl but scared her younger sisters

My 9 year old girl loved this movie, but it had my 5 year old girl in tears. The movie starts with the mom dead (and I don't even think Disney produced this!) and then there is a very long period where you think the Dad has died at sea and left her alone on an island. It has a happy ending (Dad returns) but my little one was so upset by then it didn't matter!
Adult Written bywonder dove April 3, 2013

Excellent fun for all!

This is a great little flick. Children will love the adventure and animals throughout. Nim is a little girl who has lived on a beautiful tropical island with her dad since she was born. She has animal friends of all species, types and sizes. Her dad is a scientist who has arranged a way to get phone & internet access. When he goes off on a boat trip for a couple of days and leaves Nim alone, a nasty storm approaches and he winds up stuck out in the middle of the ocean. Meanwhile, Nim is worried and believes that the one person who can help her is the one who inspires her most, a writer named Alex Rover (Jodie Foster). When Alex, who has an extreme phobia of the outdoors, receives her message - she is forced to crack out of her shell and begin a journey she is most terrified of - but with the help of her imaginary friend, she eventually gets out there to find Nim. There is plenty of adventure and fantasy going on in this story. The language is not a concern at all. Violence is not bad, mostly frightening sequences like heavy storms, some weapons shown and used in a non-scary way, shark scares but none shown. Great messages throughout of overcoming fears, helping out others and looking out for each other. Nim is a terrific role model! Suited for ages 7 and up.
Kid, 12 years old February 19, 2013

Great Film

really good film, I really enjoyed it, all children 5 and up would enjoy it (I Think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) there were scary parts like sharks (only saw fins) volcano, blood etc but not over exaggerated or too scary, also storms, and main character's dad got lost at sea in a storm with sharks circling (scariest bit).My little sister (5) was fine with it.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byDanzaJoy January 19, 2011

Our 6 year old loved it, but know your kids and the content

It's hard to find a movie that is both interesting to the kids and the adults in our home. This one was great. I try to avoid good vs. evil and prefer more complex characters, but the stereotyping of tourists/tour operators was a relatively brief experience less memorable than the girl and the woman overcoming fears and rising to a challenge. Free Range Kid advocates will love Nim and her father!