All member reviews for Nim's Island

Book-based tropical adventure is good family fun.

Kid, 9 years old December 29, 2009

Nim's Island was okay.

This movie was not scary for me. I saw it when I was eight. My family liked it but I thought it wass okay. So I thought that I should give it a three. When Nim injured he knee and puss started coming out I thought that that was gross. I say 8+ because I saw all the other reviews and saw that kids 7- got frightned.
Kid, 10 years old June 16, 2010

Good for anyone 6 and up for sure.

LOVE IT! I would not say its the best but if was very well done. I think kids of all ages ^ and up could defiantly see it.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byRubikh April 9, 2010

I liked it and my daughter age 18 thinks that it's an okay movie. What I admire the most is the powerful imagination of a writer who seems to be a coward in real. But when she receives a call for help from a child stuck on an island, she overcomes her phobia of real adventure by her inner love for expedition.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byhilew January 17, 2010

Fun fun

Character w/ agoraphobia might be a bit over kids heads. And some fantasy scenes were confusing - but it was a lot of fun and some real out load laughs.
Adult Written byauntlisa42 April 9, 2008

Fabulous mother/daughter fun at the movies for a change!

It was such a treat to have an adventure-loving, science minded, not-mean-girl heroine in a children's movie. I took two 7 year olds, a 13 year old (going on 18) and all four of us enjoyed it immensely. One of the 7 year olds hid her eyes at certain points that were a bit too scary. It was such great to go to a movie for girls that wasn't about shopping, finding a husband, being sexy, or involving a romantic fairy tale. It was great to see Nim figure out how to survive and solve problems. This past week I have been asking my daughter "what do you think Nim would have done if she had that problem" and it starts an interesting conversation!
Teen, 16 years old Written byLucas Couldron May 27, 2012

Great movie!!!

I absolutly LOVE this movie.The acting is great as well as the scripts! This movie is right up there withRio,Alpha & Omega,Kung Fu Panda 2,Shrek 2,and Cars 2 in the hall of fame!
Teen, 13 years old Written byEragonopotter July 20, 2011

Just fine?

Teen, 14 years old Written byilovecookiez April 6, 2011

Crappy.

I thought this movie was pretty good... until the ending. The ending didn't make sense in any way and I wish this movie never came. I've never read the book and now I'm grateful.
Adult Written byteddycatcat1 April 9, 2008

This is a U in UK too much peril for a 5 year old!

Since this was rated U I had no concerns taking my 5 and 8 year old. Within 30 minutes the 5 year old boy was too scared and we had to leave although my 8 year old daughter was enjoying it. He certainly would have been frightened at the helicopter scene with the author screaming they were going to die! Too much graphic peril for Unclassified- also a fist fight although in a dream sequence.
Kid, 11 years old March 2, 2015

Nim's Island: What Parents Should Know

This movie contains a girl and her father living on a deserted island. Nim's father leaves and Nim is alone during a hurricane which might scare kids. Nim's father is also suffering alone at sea. Be awear at one point, Nim takes a fall and gets a gross bloody cut on her knee. Later a disterbed OCD crazy lady comes to save her. When Nim thinks all is lost she eventually realizes the true meaning of family. Also, cute animals :)
Kid, 11 years old January 15, 2015

fun and energetic storyline yet strong language

a great family movie with some very clear and heavy cleavage and some strong language like shut up, freakin and more.
Kid, 12 years old June 29, 2014

It's good. Some action and intense scenes.
Parent Written byPhil4vs8Mom February 27, 2014

Fantasy Island for kids with a few anxious moments

The idea of Nim living on her own private island with all kinds of interesting animals and fighting off bad guys on her own was appealing to my kids. However, my 7 year-old was concerned that Nim's father wouldn't return, and my husband couldn't understand how he could leave Nim alone on the island, especially after her mother had apparently been lost at sea! The animated sequence about Nim's mother being swallowed by a whale was a bit disturbing,too. I love Jodi Foster and, although my kids didn't understand all the references to her character's mental issues, they did get that she was "crazy" and had to overcome her fears to help Nim. The movie's happy ending seemed to make up for the anxious moments, its (almost) total lack of bad language was refreshing, and overall we enjoyed it a great deal.
Kid, 9 years old January 2, 2014

Great Film!

Nim's Island is a great movie for kids five and up. Sensitive kids may be scared by a very intense scene were Nim falls off a volcano and gets a bloody cut on her knee.But otherwise it is a great film with very funny scenes with Jody Foster.
Kid, 7 years old July 24, 2013

Fun

This movie was very good though it had some scary parts and some violence (the girl gets hurt). Some parts will make you giggle. Everyone lives even though it looks like they'll be hurt. It has a happy ending.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNarwhalLover13 June 16, 2013

not the best movie...

it was ok
Teen, 14 years old Written byAbe1998 May 11, 2013

Good family movie. Some mild suggestive stuff

A good movie for ages 7+. Violence 2/10: There is hardly any violence at all, and whatever violence there is is extremely mild. There is one scene, however, where the main character, Nim, gets a nasty, bloody scrape on her leg after falling from a rocky mountain. That may scare some kids who are under 7. It's pretty hard to look at to be honest! Language 2/10: I recall hearing only 1 "h" word, and God's name is used in vain a few times. Suggestive stuff 4/10: A large-chested woman is in a bathing suit, showing a lot of cleavage. You may want to cover your kid's eyes on that part because it's pretty distracting. Overalla good movie, but watch out for some stuff.
Adult Written bywonder dove April 3, 2013

Excellent fun for all!

This is a great little flick. Children will love the adventure and animals throughout. Nim is a little girl who has lived on a beautiful tropical island with her dad since she was born. She has animal friends of all species, types and sizes. Her dad is a scientist who has arranged a way to get phone & internet access. When he goes off on a boat trip for a couple of days and leaves Nim alone, a nasty storm approaches and he winds up stuck out in the middle of the ocean. Meanwhile, Nim is worried and believes that the one person who can help her is the one who inspires her most, a writer named Alex Rover (Jodie Foster). When Alex, who has an extreme phobia of the outdoors, receives her message - she is forced to crack out of her shell and begin a journey she is most terrified of - but with the help of her imaginary friend, she eventually gets out there to find Nim. There is plenty of adventure and fantasy going on in this story. The language is not a concern at all. Violence is not bad, mostly frightening sequences like heavy storms, some weapons shown and used in a non-scary way, shark scares but none shown. Great messages throughout of overcoming fears, helping out others and looking out for each other. Nim is a terrific role model! Suited for ages 7 and up.
Kid, 12 years old February 19, 2013

Great Film

really good film, I really enjoyed it, all children 5 and up would enjoy it (I Think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) there were scary parts like sharks (only saw fins) volcano, blood etc but not over exaggerated or too scary, also storms, and main character's dad got lost at sea in a storm with sharks circling (scariest bit).My little sister (5) was fine with it.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 17, 2012

nims island

Families can talk about whether this kind of movie is as entertaining as one with lots of special effects and/or animation. Kids: Which kind of adventure do you like better, and why? What makes Nim different from many other kid characters in movies and TV shows? Do you think she's a good role model? What about Alex Rover? What do Alex and Nim learn during the movie? What would you do in Nim's situation? Do you think it was right for her father to leave her alone on the island? Families who've read the book can compare and contrast the two. Which do you like better, and why?