All member reviews for Nim's Island

Book-based tropical adventure is good family fun.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byRubikh April 9, 2010

I liked it and my daughter age 18 thinks that it's an okay movie. What I admire the most is the powerful imagination of a writer who seems to be a coward in real. But when she receives a call for help from a child stuck on an island, she overcomes her phobia of real adventure by her inner love for expedition.
Kid, 9 years old December 29, 2009

Nim's Island was okay.

This movie was not scary for me. I saw it when I was eight. My family liked it but I thought it wass okay. So I thought that I should give it a three. When Nim injured he knee and puss started coming out I thought that that was gross. I say 8+ because I saw all the other reviews and saw that kids 7- got frightned.
Kid, 10 years old June 16, 2010

Good for anyone 6 and up for sure.

LOVE IT! I would not say its the best but if was very well done. I think kids of all ages ^ and up could defiantly see it.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 9 year old Written byhadleygirls March 14, 2010

Good for my 4th grade girl but scared her younger sisters

My 9 year old girl loved this movie, but it had my 5 year old girl in tears. The movie starts with the mom dead (and I don't even think Disney produced this!) and then there is a very long period where you think the Dad has died at sea and left her alone on an island. It has a happy ending (Dad returns) but my little one was so upset by then it didn't matter!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byhilew January 17, 2010

Fun fun

Character w/ agoraphobia might be a bit over kids heads. And some fantasy scenes were confusing - but it was a lot of fun and some real out load laughs.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byLeaandMom January 27, 2011

A few tough moments for kids but great role models, especially for girls.

I watched this with three seven-year-olds and they thoroughly enjoyed it. There were definitely moments that were scary for them (the father is lost at sea and battles the elements and his daughter is afraid for him) but, as we watched it at home, they could take a break from the scenes that were a little intense. I liked that the heros were a very self confident young girl and a woman who overcomes her fears to do the right thing.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bytd25 January 4, 2010

Great Movie

I've seen where a few people have said that this was too scary for younger kids. I guess you just have to know your kids. My daughter watched this for the first time when she was 4 & loved it. She is 5 now & watched it right before bed last night & was fine. It's one of her favorite movies.
Kid, 11 years old April 13, 2010

Hmmmmmmm, I....dont know what to say....it wasnt very good...

I think the plot was boring. I think under 8 year old kids might get bored. I got bored and I'm 11. Not really recomended.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPrincessNoriBori February 19, 2011

Great Movie, A Little Scary.

It's not a bad movie, I quite liked it. Had a good plot and had enough scary moments to keep anybody into it. I really really liked it. I'd say 8 and up because it's a little frightening at times.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 16, 2011

i loved the movie. i thought it was really good. its not scary.
Kid, 11 years old May 2, 2011

good movie

i love the move the bad Language Bloody
Kid, 8 years old August 21, 2010

BOO!!!

All I have to say, saddest, scariest movie ever (Mom and all that blood)
Adult Written byTheTalker October 3, 2009

For Kids But Not For Me.

The kids I went with LOVED this movie, but I thought it was boring. I think other people should watching this movie with there kids some time they would really like it of they like animals. I'm just the kind of person who likes more action, fighting, ect.
Teen, 14 years old Written byrebma97 May 8, 2011

Kids'll like it

It was okay. But I liked Abigail Breslin. She's a good actress. They're aren't much concerns here, although Nim's dad gets lost in overseas, and it seems as if he drowns at one point
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byDanzaJoy January 19, 2011

Our 6 year old loved it, but know your kids and the content

It's hard to find a movie that is both interesting to the kids and the adults in our home. This one was great. I try to avoid good vs. evil and prefer more complex characters, but the stereotyping of tourists/tour operators was a relatively brief experience less memorable than the girl and the woman overcoming fears and rising to a challenge. Free Range Kid advocates will love Nim and her father!
Kid, 12 years old November 30, 2009

good for all ages

i like this movie beacase it teachs u good lesson
Educator and Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written byDtownmom March 8, 2009

Great Family Movie

We all loved this movie. My 7yo's are easily scared by intense scenes in movies. The scenes with the father at sea might have been frightening if they had seen them on the big screen (we watched on DVD). Also, knowing about those scenes ahead of time and knowing the father was going to be alright in the end really helped. Thanks to Common Sense Media, we were able to prepare them and we all got to enjoy a great family movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byYeah. February 27, 2011

Check my page for other great recommendations.

I'm not here to give a review because if it shows up on my page its a 5 star movie and so therefore you know what i think about it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byilovecookiez April 6, 2011

Crappy.

I thought this movie was pretty good... until the ending. The ending didn't make sense in any way and I wish this movie never came. I've never read the book and now I'm grateful.
Kid, 10 years old December 19, 2010